Wrath, which classes were best at the end?

Ok well everyone remembers that Death Knights at launch were unstoppable PvP and Tanking machines, but by the end of Wrath I think they’d been brought down a notch.

I remember warlocks being in high demand because they could get out of val’kyr grip and soulstone the raid for the crusader achieves.

Now I forgot when exactly rogues had Fan of Knives as an AoE interrupt, but GD that was one of the most imbalanced things the game ever had.

I also remember 10 man heroic LK had to be healed by a holy pally and disc priest due to the plague and Beacon being super good…

But who were the good DPS?
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

This is very easily googlable. Generally it's the classes that scale best with ArP.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Ok well everyone remembers that Death Knights at launch were unstoppable PvP and Tanking machines, but by the end of Wrath I think they’d been brought down a notch.

I remember warlocks being in high demand because they could get out of val’kyr grip and soulstone the raid for the crusader achieves.

Now I forgot when exactly rogues had Fan of Knives as an AoE interrupt, but GD that was one of the most imbalanced things the game ever had.

I also remember 10 man heroic LK had to be healed by a holy pally and disc priest due to the plague and Beacon being super good…

But who were the good DPS?
    The Disc Priest was essential, the Holy Pally could be replaced by a good Shaman (because Chain Heal was nuts and did nearly as much healing as a pally healing through beacon) or a Druid (if the Priest was good).

As for DPS, for raw damage Fire Mages were top, followed by Fury and then Ret (assuming BiS including Shadowmourne), assuming your Ret managed to not blow themselves up by over-threating the tank and pulling aggro from something big and nasty (because Ret's threat generation could be insane and Hand of Sanc took time to apply its effect, and might also have already been used on someone else).

Warlocks were also desirable for the San'Layn, because a ranged tank was needed for one of them and they had good threat generation (likewise in Uldaur for Mimiron) and solid survivability.

EDIT: This was before Ruby Sanctum - after that Ret fell behind other physical melee because they benefitted more from ArPen than Ret did (as a Ret you didn't generally stack ArPen unless you'd somehow managed to get an entire gear set of it because it didn't help Holy damage - you stacked all the Strength you could).
    Last edited by Kalisandra; 2022-06-08 at 11:01 AM.

I think the armory launched some time during Wrath and I remember looking at high-level raiding guilds and they pretty much always had two holy paladins, one with int in every slot (think it meant basically unlimited holy light) and one with spellpower in every slot (unlimited flash of light). But I think both those builds didn't work until the bloated numbers from ICC gear rolled in.

I'm kinda curious who's gonna be FotM at launch, which actually could be interesting and very different from original Wrath because a lot of things will be in a nerfed state.

Although I suppose for launch all that really matter is who is good at Sarth+3.

Oh man, the era of tanks trading mountains of avoidance for molehills of effective health, super incredibly spiky damage coming in because replenishment gave so much mana back.

And was discipline inherently good or was it just good on Lich King because he would always break the shields resulting in the priest getting returned pretty much all the mana from blanketing the raid in PW:S?

Oh man and shamans would stack haste to the exclusion of all else, including some blue bracers because they were the only mail bracers with haste on them.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2022-06-08 at 01:30 PM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.