Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Bad idea.

Because it forces you to change talents every time you get a different weapon upgrade. Got an axe but you are using a sword right now? Time to go change your talents just to use the new weapon.

Nah.
    Reread the second sentence of the OP....

Like how in Dragonflight you get extra talents from the class tree dependent on your spec, you'd get one that swaps out when you change weapons.

We had it in Vanilla, and it was removed for a good reason

The good reason may have bene Combat rogues like myself bludgeoning people with maces in PvP and may be linked to the reason diminishing stun returns is a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Reread the second sentence of the OP....

Like how in Dragonflight you get extra talents from the class tree dependent on your spec, you'd get one that swaps out when you change weapons.
    ... So it's worse than what I originally thought.

Instead of changing a few talents, you would have to change an entire tree of talents when you change your weapon?

Please no. I was around during the time it existed, I don't miss it.

Getting "the" weapon is hard enough, let's no consider adding complexity. It's one of the things I'm glad don't exist anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think Weapon in WoW are heavily underutilized.

For a Warrior, a sword and a mace is basically the same.

And if you are a caster, it is literally a stat stick. And it fucking sucks.

They should be implemented in casting animations and provide at least some different abilities/bonuses.

Sadly I doubt that blizzard will do anything of the sort. For all that talk of making gear exciting, they surely made one of the most important gear for your character a boring stat stamp.

Hell, I would take some boring proc or even a simple passive.

The fact that it makes no difference at all always bothered me.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

I don't want weapons to provide any buffs at all beyond what's on the weapon itself. The last thing I need is raiders going "I need the weapon from the Alexstraza fight, unless the cloak from Galakrond drops, then I need the one from Wrathion, because I'll be crit-capped with the weapon bonus + cloak"
    Last edited by Stickiler; 2022-06-10 at 05:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    ... So it's worse than what I originally thought.

Instead of changing a few talents, you would have to change an entire tree of talents when you change your weapon?
    What? No.

Im confused as to why youre looking for the absolute worst case scenario instead of the logical one. Baseline.

Imagine it works like Mastery. But instead of changing when you change specs, it changes when you change weapons. Each class would have a different passive effect based on what weapon they are currently using. The power of these passives is equivalent to a talent point; youre not going to *need* it, but it does *something*.

So like rogues still dont get any bonus for using anything but daggers, and warriors wouldnt have any passive effects for ranged weapons.

Could be some cool ones like a low chance to cast different class spells on auto-attacks. Or literally just add bonus secondary/tertiary stats to weapon types, like Death Knights gain leech while wielding axes, crit while wielding maces, and haste while wielding swords.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2022-06-10 at 06:30 AM.

No.
    Cool idea with no possible good implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    I don't want weapons to provide any buffs at all beyond what's on the weapon itself. The last thing I need is raiders going "I need the weapon from the Alexstraza fight, unless the cloak from Galakrond drops, then I need the one from Wrathion, because I'll be crit-capped with the weapon bonus + cloak"
    Weapons already have randomized secondary stats, I cant imagine this would affect much, having a guaranteed effect on each weapon dependent on its type.

Instead of weapin talents i would like to see new weapons at all. Morning star with a chain, spears (with a weapon animation that fits a spear), Kunai with Chain or underarm knifes.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    you realize this was a part of the game before guild wars ONE even existed?
    WoW only had a few in the past. The OP wants ALL weapons to have their own special skills/passives. Which is what GW2 does.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    WoW only had a few in the past. The OP wants ALL weapons to have their own special skills/passives. Which is what GW2 does.
    GW2 changes your entire loadout based on what weapon you're using. You build your character around a weapon type, so there *needs* to be weapons of every type in their endgame content.

I just want the equivalent of a talent point, man. 3% crit on axes or something. Not enough to change how you play the game, just enough to make them feel different. As of now, the only difference between a sword and a mace is that a druid can't transmog the sword.

GW2 changes your entire loadout based on what weapon you're using. You build your character around a weapon type, so there *needs* to be weapons of every type in their endgame content.

I just want the equivalent of a talent point, man. 3% crit on axes or something. Not enough to change how you play the game, just enough to make them feel different. As of now, the only difference between a sword and a mace is that a druid can't transmog the sword.
    So you want Dollar Store GW2?

Its a good idea from an RPG perspective, but it has been proven not to work that well. What ends up happening immediately is one spec is shown to be ahead of the others, and suddenly the player feels FORCED to use a particular weapon.

Or, you end up with one thats great for aoe, and one thats great for ST - suddenly players feel they need 2 weapons, or 4 for DW specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There used to be talents or was that racials?
    In addition to previous posts, old combat rogues has sword/axe/mace masteries in the old talent trees. Also Sub had Hemorrage which was the builder of choice if you wanted to use a 1h instead of a dagger and you couldn't use backstab.

Hope there's room for this kind of stuff with 10.0 talents.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The "old is new" theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    In addition to previous posts, old combat rogues has sword/axe/mace masteries in the old talent trees. Also Sub had Hemorrage which was the builder of choice if you wanted to use a 1h instead of a dagger and you couldn't use backstab.

Hope there's room for this kind of stuff with 10.0 talents.
    This used to be and it was proven terrible and not fitting for games after 2010.

All these things were removed cause they are nice RPG and novelty aspects but they are terrible for balance and in turn for guilds after that.

I still remember we had to force people to get the upgrades for minimum DKP at the end of Vanilla in Naxxramas when the math came out about Hemo and no one wanted any other weapon cause they were waiting for particulars that i dont remember now,to drop.

And many similar things over the years, its good for RPG aspects but its not fun when you know "I want a mace for PvP, a Sword for PvE, and fuck Axes they are useless" and you gotten 4 Axes to drop in a row and Shamans and Holy Paladins took them as offspec.

And no, it cant be "Balanced".

These things are a part of the past, active abilities and smart play is where its at, i know people dont like to hear these things, but there is a reason things were removed.

Or you can go back to "Warrior/Rogue got lucky extra sword attacks and 2 shotted the Retri Paladin, therefor the Retri Paladin went on the forums to complain as to why he doesnt have that also, or for it be removed, bla bla bla" along with the Warriors complaining they only got Maces or the Rogues crying they only get daggers.

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I miss about old WoW. Sure it was rough and led to certain weapons being better for certain content but it also made the distinction between, say, an axe and a sword actually meaningful beyond what classes can use what weapons.

I feel like WoW is too rigid and the game is too tightly tuned for stuff like this anymore though. You get one tier without a mace and suddenly a bunch of warriors would start bitching if maces were their best talent weapon. It's something I wish we could get back but I seriously doubt we ever will.

Weapons already have randomized secondary stats, I cant imagine this would affect much, having a guaranteed effect on each weapon dependent on its type.
    uh..no they dont? weapons specifically has the same stats for that exact weapon.

the only difference is different difficualties has diffrent stat amounts, like the rift-scared Solcrusher.

Normal Solcrusher.

"Rift-Scarred Solcrusher
    Item Level 252
    Binds when picked up
    Two-Hand Mace
    245 - 316 Damage Speed 3.60
    (77.9 damage per second)
    +104 Strength
    +205 Stamina
    +111 Haste (3.36% @ L60)
    +49 Versatility (1.23% @ L60)"

Vs Mythic

"Rift-Scarred Solcrusher
    Mythic
    Item Level 278
    Binds when picked up
    Two-Hand Mace
    312 - 402 Damage Speed 3.60
    (99.2 damage per second)
    +132 Strength
    +279 Stamina
    +124 Haste (3.76% @ L60)
    +55 Versatility (1.38% @ L60)"
    it has the same stats, just increased amounts, your talking about the random green weapons? cause if so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    -snip-
    Oh, i perfectly know this. It was just a "would be cool if...", not a "we must have...."

Apparently though Blizzard is fine woth the fact that some options are just going to be inferior and you can do bad builds with the new trees. So balance is not their priority now.

Also, we have personal loot and loot spec options, which males the whole dkp thing not relevant anymore.

I think there's a way for things like this to happen. Doesn't mean that it won't be as usual that one option wins and all people goes to play that.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.