Poll: Do you think blood elves were stronger than night elves? Who would have won in a war?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    In addition, wasn't it mentioned by Maiev in WC3 that the Kaldorei have wiped out many lesser mongrel races who stood in their way?

I think that the Kaldorei are quite capable of unleashing true fury on the enemy, when the situation demands it. They are definitely not pushovers in the lore, no matter how hard Blizzard tries to make them look weak in favour of the Horde.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    In addition, wasn't it mentioned by Maiev in WC3 that the Kaldorei have wiped out many lesser mongrel races who stood in their way?

I think that the Kaldorei are quite capable of unleashing true fury on the enemy, when the situation demands it. They are definitely not pushovers in the lore, no matter how hard Blizzard tries to make them look weak in favour of the Horde.
    In a dev Q&A they clarified that Maiev was just talking about the war of the satyr's which isn't a great example of "unleashing true fury" as during said war they had a whole back and forth about not using the park form because there was to much "fury" which lead to the banishment of the worgen.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

There are a lot of different things to put into thought before this can be answered. What terrain are they fighting on? Are we talking Blood Elves pre or post TBC where the paladins learned to work with the light instead of enslaving it? Finally, Do they have their respective heroes fighting with them?

I can think of two different scenarios both opposite of each other. The first is if the Blood Elves attempted to invade the Night Elf lands. These are dark lands, many tall trees, the forest is pretty much alive and filled with both supernatural wisps, and the children of Cenarius who are part of the Night elf forces especially if you consider Warcraft 3 into this, but even if they decided to not to fight it would still end the same way. Night elves are more of your guerilla fighters, they will hide in the shadows spread out and wait for the enemy to become vulnerable jump in and do as much damage as possible and run deep into the forest to regroup and do it again. Night elves are in their own territory and the blood elves don't really have anything that can combat this. It would take a decent amount of time but the Night Elves would ultimately win through attrition. You could argue that the Blood Elves could set fire to the forest but due to the Night Elves having a great deal amount of druids it wouldn't be nearly as effective as you may think.

Second scenario. Its in a wide open plains or out in an area similar to Hillsbrad. Here the Blood Elves have the advantage, their knights, their golems, and their mounted forces would do serious damage to the Night Elves who like I mentioned before are dominant in guerilla warfare and not head on fights which the Blood Elves are. The Night elves would be forced to retreat and they would be picked off by dragonhawk riders. People fail to remember that the Blood Elves faced off against Arthas and his horde of undead and came out alive. They failed to prevent Arthas from taking the Sunwell but they came back stronger than ever in the following years.

The ones that were their own faction during Warcraft III.

At any point pre-tree, the night elves would obliterate the blood elves. I would go so far as to say they would easily destroy the high elves.

They had more land, more people, more demigods, more magical creatures. The high elves had what? an on-charter-only alliance with the humans neither side had taken seriously for centuries? Hell they're introduced in WCII as getting dabbed on by the Armani, an (admittedly reinvigorated) threat supposedly broken centuries prior.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I can think of two different scenarios both opposite of each other. The first is if the Blood Elves attempted to invade the Night Elf lands. These are dark lands, many tall trees, the forest is pretty much alive and filled with both supernatural wisps, and the children of Cenarius who are part of the Night elf forces especially if you consider Warcraft 3 into this, but even if they decided to not to fight it would still end the same way. Night elves are more of your guerilla fighters, they will hide in the shadows spread out and wait for the enemy to become vulnerable jump in and do as much damage as possible and run deep into the forest to regroup and do it again. Night elves are in their own territory and the blood elves don't really have anything that can combat this. It would take a decent amount of time but the Night Elves would ultimately win through attrition. You could argue that the Blood Elves could set fire to the forest but due to the Night Elves having a great deal amount of druids it wouldn't be nearly as effective as you may think.

Second scenario. Its in a wide open plains or out in an area similar to Hillsbrad. Here the Blood Elves have the advantage, their knights, their golems, and their mounted forces would do serious damage to the Night Elves who like I mentioned before are dominant in guerilla warfare and not head on fights which the Blood Elves are. The Night elves would be forced to retreat and they would be picked off by dragonhawk riders. People fail to remember that the Blood Elves faced off against Arthas and his horde of undead and came out alive. They failed to prevent Arthas from taking the Sunwell but they came back stronger than ever in the following years.
    During Varian's travels with Broll, an orc shaman summoned a lava elemental, and it took Broll Bearmantle summoning a colossal thunderstorm to put the elemental down during their battle. And given the blood elves' special affinity for fire magics, they might indeed wreak havoc against the night elves, for example, having Rommath summon phoenixes to set the trees aflame.

And look at how effective such tactics were during the Horde's last war with the night elves:
    https://twitter.com/Warcraft/status/...516160/photo/1
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    During Varian's travels with Broll, an orc shaman summoned a lava elemental, and it took Broll Bearmantle summoning a colossal thunderstorm to put the elemental down during their battle. And given the blood elves' special affinity for fire magics, they might indeed wreak havoc against the night elves, for example, having Rommath summon phoenixes to set the trees aflame.

And look at how effective such tactics were during the Horde's last war with the night elves:
    Good thing the Horde races immune to the fire so they can walk trough and fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Loreth88 View Post
    Good thing the Horde races immune to the fire so they can walk trough and fight.
    It's one of these many nonsenses that make me hate the Alliance-Horde conflicts such as they are portrayed by the writers, other examples including the Night Elves being powerless against Magnataurs in Wolfheart despite having faced worse in battle or the Blight being presented as a super weapon which never backfires on the Forsaken and against which the Alliance hadn't thought of searching for counters in more than a decade n.

If you don't care for collateral and just want to destroy the enemy, sentient fire creatures can absolutely destroy a fantasy forest and there is not much you can do without weather magic on a grand scale. Which the Night Elves probably have (or at least Malfurion does) but that ties down their major spellcasters. It's actually a common fantasy trope; in D&D the drow have specific spells they use to do exactly that (summon demonic fire spiders).

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If you don't care for collateral and just want to destroy the enemy, sentient fire creatures can absolutely destroy a fantasy forest and there is not much you can do without weather magic on a grand scale. Which the Night Elves probably have (or at least Malfurion does) but that ties down their major spellcasters. It's actually a common fantasy trope; in D&D the drow have specific spells they use to do exactly that (summon demonic fire spiders).
    Thats true, but the trees are alive and magical to. Beyond that they wage war in a fire, how fire in a forest not just flame, its heat, its smoke u cant breath can’t see etc. So I don’t really know what the writers think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yes because the writes thinking like horde > alliance (humans) > every other alliance races. Just Use them as tools to justify the higher ranking group in there eyes.

Too much of a loaded debate. What point in time are we talking?
    Full force with both sides controlling a well?
    After the BEs were decimated by 99% vs now?
    Then there’s the question of terrain.
    For the first question, it would be an interesting match as they both controlled vast amounts of arcane magic.
    For the 2nd, I’d put my money on NEs. They still have numbers compared to BEs, and they also have Elune assisting them, meanwhile BEs really don’t have power backing them up like that.
    Any kind of forest situation I would definitely give to the NEs. Whereas open planes I’d give a slight advantage to BEs.

At their full potential, factoring biology and stats, - the night elves should beat the blood elves - high elves are devolved night elves - fewer in number, less powerful magical sources - (night elves have access to the Well of Eternity, The Emerald Dream, Elune, The Night warrior powers - and are the original elf - while blood elves essentially only have the Sunwell and the Light) - but then again, access to powers is really more class dependent in wow than it is race dependent, night elves are one of the few races that generally have race based powers - it makes little difference all in all.

Face it, humans don't have any race based powers, but because they have access to calss powers, the best humans can rival the best elves - even though racially elves would be more powerful than humans because of their make up. This has always been the case in wow and not many people understand that.. Some love the cool powers a race has, but because class gives power access, races that have no original power can be just as powerful.

So despite their shortcomings, the blood elves with enough determination can beat the night elves. It's impossible to tell. Class wise, the blood elves in addition to their racial powers have DKs, DHs for death and fel, though they lack nature and the elemental powers without druids and shaman - but then magecraft has always been more than enough as the night elves proved.. still it can't do certain things druidism or shamansim can -

Then look at trolls - trolls have the most access to all classes, only lacking demon hunters, and yet cannot match less versatile elves or humans or orcs.

Ultimately it's the plot that determines. From a base perspective, night elves are the super elf - un-handicapped, and uncorrupted - all their derivatives have issues - Nightborne got the crippling curse, high elves devolved, but high elves, have accomplished a lot more and had greater challenges to train their new generations than night elves.. however, the night elves don't need that because the same night elves who defeated the troll empire, the legion, the qui'raji, the Satyr and the Legion again, are still around - that's a bigger list of challenges, even though blood elves have had it more intense in their 7,000 year existence.

Regardless of whether they were in advanced state and kept their civilization (Shen'dralar, nightborne) , (or went all green - Long vigil era), it doesn't seem to have really dimmed their capability much. Losing immortality + the arcane perhaps the biggest hit, and post WC3 night elves up to cataclysm were they have been the weakest ever since their emergence, they've been getting stronger though, with Highborne returning, and now the demon hunters no longer the enemy hunted and reviled, then the acquisition of the Night warrior powers from Elune and a reinforcing of her star powers when Tyrande gained control of the night warrior - not to mention the emerald dream and Well of Eternity +Moonwells are still around

The downside is they're nearly wiped out, but the upside, is that it's the 10k plus year old experts nearly all survived genocide, thanks to either being absent or running portals to evacuate the populace, - so they are an exceptionally highly skilled remnant.

In contrast, the high elves lost a lot of their most powerful and capable /skilled warriors to the scourge attack by Arthas - and while it doesn't seem a genocide as bad as the night elves, still it was a heavy loss. But some of those very skilled ones continued on as undead - those we didn't kill in ICC - but so far as I know, Sylvannas is the only highly skilled undead high elf from the scourge invasion that is still alive. We killed Blood Queen Lanathel and her group which were the strongest remnants of the scourge war that headed to Icecrown.

however does that even matter? Just because most of your skilled died, doesn't mean new ones can't be trained -we noted no significant magical knowledge loss from the scourge war, which means while not as skilled or powerful as their predecessors, thee survives could actually develop to be - especially with motivation.

Same with the night elves who now have access to a lot of power - this can potentially make them all very powerful if nearly extinct races.

As it stands, the night elf genocide was far more devastating being recent, the blood elves have managed to rebuild and strengthen a lot i since the scourge attack, whiles the night elves have lost a lot of infrastructure, even with their new powers, I think fi they went head to head it would be impossible to tell, the Night warriors, the Moonguard/highborne, Malfurion and the druids - command a lot of power despite having little to no infrastructure left, and still have the emerald dream and Well of eternity, meanwhile the blood elves have the siege engines, and weapons and tools of war in combination with their magic and ingenuity. - it's a very tough one to call.

I don't think any race on Azeroth was more powerful than the night elves up until the burning of Teldrasil, the blood rlves are ultimately a bit like the Belgium of the Eastern Kingdoms; important, sure, capable, sure. But when faced with a real threat they really need allies to carry them.

...Inb4 Zul'aman = Congo.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats true, but the trees are alive and magical to. Beyond that they wage war in a fire, how fire in a forest not just flame, its heat, its smoke u cant breath can’t see etc. So I don’t really know what the writers think.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes because the writes thinking like horde > alliance (humans) > every other alliance races. Just Use them as tools to justify the higher ranking group in there eyes.
    And living trees also shouldn't be burning easily as they would be full of water if healthy, Though again fantasy magic fire etc.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    And living trees also shouldn't be burning easily as they would be full of water if healthy, Though again fantasy magic fire etc.
    Yes i see that time to time magic fire, but here the tree is magical to, like a quote from Harry Potter (i don't really remember the exact words) The human prime ministar ask how they can't fight down Voldemort forces u are a wizards; and the answer: Because we fighting with wizards. So u can bring heavy power, if the enemy have it to. Not Gods fighting with mortals, here the horde magic fire against a magical tree.
    But to late for that, blizz do what they want even the whole story not make sense or not even worth it. The shadowlands gets soul from all across the universe and yet they need a night elf souls, why? that a drop of water in an ocean.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i see that time to time magic fire, but here the tree is magical to, like a quote from Harry Potter (i don't really remember the exact words) The human prime ministar ask how they can't fight down Voldemort forces u are a wizards; and the answer: Because we fighting with wizards. So u can bring heavy power, if the enemy have it to. Not Gods fighting with mortals, here the horde magic fire against a magical tree.
    But to late for that, blizz do what they want even the whole story not make sense or not even worth it. The shadowlands gets soul from all across the universe and yet they need a night elf souls, why? that a drop of water in an ocean.
    Waifu ultra mega mench super duper ultra baddie morphin time?

Honestly I stopped playing anything activizard and only passing through reading here and there. Then again with how things worked out for me the last 2 years its a blessing in disguise to not want to play anymore.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    Waifu ultra mega mench super duper ultra baddie morphin time?

Honestly I stopped playing anything activizard and only passing through reading here and there. Then again with how things worked out for me the last 2 years its a blessing in disguise to not want to play anymore.
    Nether I, i just looking wow stuff here, hoping for it will be better. But Hope is a curse of a humankind, because it’s extending the suffering.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjtPqWoU...pg&name=medium
    The horde lost that battle front so it clearly wasn’t a very effective tactic for all its flare.

Not to mention the night elfs already have a ton of experience dealing with fire due to hyjal and the molten front.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    More desperate sure, stronger no. But strength can be a relative term. Desperation made them more willing, that can be enough in the short run, but ultimately not sustaining which is why the High Elves (Blood Elves) collapsed.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Why isn't the Void Elves in this thread as well as the Nightborne too?
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD