Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropakeg View Post
    Probably a bit early to be complaining about an expansion that's not out yet.

    In addition, WoW is an MMO. They generally focus on multi-player content.
    1 - You are wrong, such content should have been announced with the expansion reveal, so yes, it's a bit worrying we've seen / heard nothing of it yet

    2 - That definition changed years ago and doesn't mean grouped-content-only anymore.

  2. #42
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,325
    when did we first get announcements about Mage Tower, Horrific Visions and Torghast? how soon was it before the alpha or PTR was released? honestly, they will probably think of something but also every solo endgame content has directly been tied to borrowed power, or was heavily tuned around it. so yeah they will need to make it pretty damn good otherwise nobody will do it - which means collectibles, collectibles, collectibles

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    snip
    Funny how you completely disregard the cypher progression of 9.2 rewarding up to normal raid gear equivalent gear. Heck, you can reach ilvl 260 without ever stepping a foot into a dungeon or raid with the help of the ZM world boss and double legendaries. And that even as a "solo player" you can usually kill the first 2 to 3 mythic bosses while never actually speaking a word to another player in the later part of a tier.

    I'm certain sth like cypher progression will carry on into 10.0 and beyond.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    when did we first get announcements about Mage Tower, Horrific Visions and Torghast? how soon was it before the alpha or PTR was released? honestly, they will probably think of something but also every solo endgame content has directly been tied to borrowed power, or was heavily tuned around it. so yeah they will need to make it pretty damn good otherwise nobody will do it - which means collectibles, collectibles, collectibles
    Torghast was in the announcement. Horrific Visions was a patch feature and they were announced along the patch. Can't remember about Mage Tower. I am certain it was at Blizzcon, not sure if it was in Gamescom.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online. It just means that there a a lot of folks online at the same time in a persistent world.

    What you choose to do while online is up to the individual.

    "Whats your Game?" Mr. T

    It is a bit early and not much is known about the details of the expansion, but I bet there will be the same WQ and Dailys for faction and loot that will not be as good as raiding.
    I hope you can see the humor in using a 15 year old quote from a commercial made during a time of a very very very different Blizzard to support your argument.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

  6. #46
    If there were more interesting things out in the world that I could do on my own every day that gave me gold or coffer rewards (for me personally, it doesn't have to be gear, would hate for people to get scared and piss themselves because of a small chance I might have to get good drops out of something that's not a dungeon or raid) the way that emissaries currently do, that would be really great. Personally, despite the lack of an obvious expansion headliner like Torghast was, I'm not quite willing to write off the expansion's solo-friendly content just yet, as I still know next to nothing about, well, anything about the expansion, and I'm keeping in mind that Visions, which I consider the best thing to come out of BFA, was patch content. Of course, I would prefer if things that could come close to the fun that Visions was arrived at launch, I can probably expect WoW's bread-and-butter to tide me over, enjoyment wise, in the event that that sort of thing turns out to be something that comes out a few months after launch.

    WoW is an MMO, but WoW has made at least somewhat of an effort to give me a more robust experience as a solo player for a few expansions now. It's not an innovation that I'm looking to see, it's something that the devs have notably and intentionally been providing for players who play the game by themselves, like me and like I imagine quite a few others do as well, at least part of the time. So all the sneering and chucklefucking about WoW being a group-focused game that will never provide a better solo experience than other games (yeah, obviously) kinda flies over my head a bit, because that's not what's being asked. So questions like the OP's, voicing concern about the apparent lack of things that the game has already been providing in some measure for some time, I don't find to be unreasonable, or scorn-worthy.

  7. #47
    Mechagnome Ladey Gags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    teh haus of gags
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    SP content is for the casual cyclical masses that just want to eat it up like a plague of locusts I couldn't care less about simply because they have so many alternatives.

    Why some idiots choose to play an mmo when they're extremely introverted or socially incompetent is something I'll never understand, other games put ALL their ressources in to be a great SP experience and you choose an mmorpg? Excuse me but wtf?

    "Oh yes in the history of WoW the SP-able content was so great dude" will be your next argument but cmon who the frick really believes that.
    You’re just an asshole. You know exactly why people would want single player content in an MMO, but you literally plug your ears and claim they’re beneath you just because you’re an asshole. You have a personal distaste of people who like something other than what you like. You’re like a child. Grow up.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    2 - That definition changed years ago and doesn't mean grouped-content-only anymore.
    No, the definition of "MMO" hasn't changed at all.

  9. #49
    They need to bring back something like "Troves of the Thunder King" from MoP.

    It was a solo gold run thru a mini dungeon that you could do once a week i think (or whenever you found one of those keys from doing open world content on isle of thunder).

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    No, the definition of "MMO" hasn't changed at all.
    Game developers tends to disagree, but, whatever.

  11. #51
    I'm very excited about the lack of solo play announcement. Almost every "solo" thing they add, has been required in some way by any competitive player. Take ZM for example. Had to do the campaign, and daily wqs to get the double lego and creation catalyst. As long as they are basically gonna make solo stuff a requirement, I hope 0 gets added

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    mage tower is amazing, WoW can do solo content very well.
    Only in rose tinted glasses. For most of its life the tower was despised by the community as elitist content until everyone was antorus geared and the bosses fell over by themselves. Players don't want challenge they want epeen loots.

  13. #53
    OP, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Solo/ small group content usually makes an appearance in some form each expansion. I feel as though they are intentionally holding back some news as they don't want to either oversell it or they may not believe they have enough time to ship it... so whatever it is may come in a later patch and not at release... like a Mage Tower or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

  14. #54
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,279
    I personally like a lot of WoW's end-game solo content, but I don't think it should really be a focus when it comes to development. The core of the game, and its very genre, bespeaks to the idea of players playing together, using groups and raids to overcome challenging content. Solo content falls more into the "like to have" bucket for me, even though I'm introverted and often a silent partner when it comes to group content unless I'm in a group with friends and guildmates.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    You’re just an asshole. You know exactly why people would want single player content in an MMO, but you literally plug your ears and claim they’re beneath you just because you’re an asshole. You have a personal distaste of people who like something other than what you like. You’re like a child. Grow up.
    You can invert that stance quite easily, it's silly to push for more SP stuff and force more resources on that than necessary when there are more than plenty of SP games already that are superior experiences due to not being a half assed stretch, I wouldn't touch this game if I had to play like that simply due to there being so much better stuff tailored to me out there.

    And WoW never was about being a great SP experience, why should it be now?

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    MMO means Massive Multiplayer Online. It just means that there a a lot of folks online at the same time in a persistent world.

    What you choose to do while online is up to the individual.

    "Whats your Game?" Mr. T

    It is a bit early and not much is known about the details of the expansion, but I bet there will be the same WQ and Dailys for faction and loot that will not be as good as raiding.
    No. MMO means its strength and focus IS group play. Single player games don't have that and focus on solo content. MMOs do and that is what sets them apart. Single player content is there but will NEVER be its primary focus. Please accept the genre for what it is.

    As a genuine question: why would you choose an mmo when you are in need of a strong solo experience and not mainly interested in group play? Why not a single player game? What does the existence of more ppl in this game that you're not interested in grouping up with do for you?

    As a use case. How much would you pay for a single player game. Let's say a good one 60-70 euro. And then you play it for how many hrs? 100? 200 max? With any content updates sold as DLCs mostly.
    Then you come to wow. Pay sub for server maintenance and updates and about the same price for initial content. And expect to have strong engaging content to last for how many hrs every day for 2 years or so? While also the game invests in group content a lot. You think it's possible? In usually less dev time than you would need for one of those good single player games?
    It's not. What it does is create group content. Repeatable content. And a number of hours of story content. What makes it last is repeatable stuff. World quests. Farming stuff. Dungeons. Raids. But repeatable gets boring. How do you make stuff not boring? Involve ppl. Pve with other ppl or pvp against other ppl. So inevitably, if you go only for solo, it will be watered down and much worse than what single player games can offer and you will soon run out of it or get bored of the repeatable solo stuff. This is the genre you choose.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2022-06-09 at 02:02 PM.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Single player content is there but will NEVER be its primary focus. Please accept the genre for what it is.
    Do you have data to back it up ? I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of players never set foot in a raid, or even in a mythic dungeon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    As a genuine question: why would you choose an mmo when you are in need of a strong solo experience and not mainly interested in group play? Why not a single player game?
    Because there is usually way more solo content in an mmorpg than in a solo rpg.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    What does the existence of more ppl in this game that you're not interested in grouping up with do for you?
    Spoilers : you can both enjoy playing solo AND playing in group sometimes.

  18. #58
    Scarab Lord The-Shan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Badlands
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Only in rose tinted glasses. For most of its life the tower was despised by the community as elitist content until everyone was antorus geared and the bosses fell over by themselves. Players don't want challenge they want epeen loots.
    as someone who did it before antorus on some classes and after antorus on others, they were a reasonable challenge in both forms. Even with heroic antorus gear you still had to learn the stats and you still had to prepare (prepare the adequate potions for example)
    thinly veiled high elf thread

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    As a genuine question: why would you choose an mmo when you are in need of a strong solo experience and not mainly interested in group play?
    This question and the mostly needless dissertation that follows it assumes that people who want to see more solo content in WoW must for some reason invariably dislike group play. While I can't speak for everyone, I generally think that this is a poor assumption to make. I don't play WoW because I'm "in need" of solo play, I play WoW because WoW is fun. Somewhere in that blob of "fun" that WoW is, along with other stuff that includes group content, is interesting endgame-level solo-friendly content like Visions and Torghast. I wasn't looking for that, per se. But it's there, and I like it. Is that bad? Am I wrong for liking the content that WoW has put in the game, maybe wanting a little more of that, done better, and being a bit concerned if there may or may not be less of that liked content going forward? Playing with others is fun as well, but that's not really the point here.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    Funny how you completely disregard the cypher progression of 9.2 rewarding up to normal raid gear equivalent gear. Heck, you can reach ilvl 260 without ever stepping a foot into a dungeon or raid with the help of the ZM world boss and double legendaries. And that even as a "solo player" you can usually kill the first 2 to 3 mythic bosses while never actually speaking a word to another player in the later part of a tier.

    I'm certain sth like cypher progression will carry on into 10.0 and beyond.
    Well, in WotLK you could get tier sets from simply running dungeons and doing daily quests. In TBC, you could craft T4 like set items by simply farming. You could get high raid quality gear from running magisters terrace and from doing isle of quel'denas. Nowadays its all time gated, and in Shadowlands it mainly rewards borrowed power. I want blizzard to reward every activity with gear, and it also should be useful. The last part is completely gone from world content, because gearing simply does not matter.
    Last edited by cantrip; 2022-06-09 at 02:51 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •