Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Can you explain with a straight face how paying money for a chance to get 5 star gems is not gambling?
    In most places gambling is defined by giving out cash or prizes that can very easily converted to cash.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post

    I'm extremely correct.
    There was no way to add content to the game and unlock it later. TECHNOLOGICALLY. There was no tech. So that's why no one even THOUGHT of that.
    Games were sell and forget.
    It was a dawn of digital entertainment.
    Things evolved.

    You dismiss natural evolution of technology. The CDs with expansions and mission packs - evolved into MTX. Thanks to technological progress.
    Missed the point entirely, I won't even bother to correct you because you are talking about points not being made. You didn't even adress anything I actually said, you just made up a strawman and you attack it. So I have no idea why you even bother quoting me if there is nothing relating to my post.

  3. #183
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Missed the point entirely, I won't even bother to correct you because you are talking about points not being made. You didn't even adress anything I actually said, you just made up a strawman and you attack it. So I have no idea why you even bother quoting me if there is nothing relating to my post.
    That's literally a cognitive dissonance. Enjoy!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    So are you arguing most people couldn't understand a simple probability table?
    correct, most people ABSOLUTELY dont understand how probabilities work, as accountant and lecturer im certain of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    Gambling addictions have never caused loss of property, health or mental issues, or death?
    loss of property or mental issues? sure, pretty much everything can cause that...
    health (non-mental) issues? eeh... some minor perhaps, not something serious like cancer
    death? definitely not, at least not directly...

    now compare it to cigaretes that cause LITERALY milions of deaths every year, some of which are "Second-hand" deaths of nonsmokers caused by smokers...
    its like comparing teaspoon of water to ocean...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    And you dispute that some games were free before microtransactions?
    never said that, learn to read properly... or ill help you - i said its not like games were free before mtx, were some free? yeah, sure, some are free NOW so thats moot point... VAST majority was paid upfront

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    the false equivalence that because prices have gone up, it's okay to charge 5 or 6 figures for stats in a videogame?
    again, never said that...
    i said prices has gone up and the development have to be paid somehow, is it better if EVERYONE pays 100bucks a game or if everyone pays 20 or less and people who CAN AND WANT will pay more? thats debatable but thats the point of MTX, and yes, i know, a lot of that money will go to high management, but that would be the case anyway, its case with literaly every company INCLUDING CHARITIES, and its completely different problem

    and what microtransaction there is that have 5figures? afaik, there are mtx for few bucks, if you buy A LOT OF THEM it will climb up to such amount, which is true about... everything?
    if you buy enough lolipops it will climb up to 5figures, should we ban lolipops bcs there is some moron who will buy so much? after all, theres sugar in lolipops that can cause addiction... or should we let the lolipops be so people who can control themself can enjoy them, and the moron should get help?
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-06-14 at 11:37 AM.

  5. #185
    I don't know if there's anything dumber than donating to streamers. "Instead of spending money on my entertainment, I will pay you so that you can have fun." Brilliant!

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoJames View Post
    I don't know if there's anything dumber than donating to streamers. "Instead of spending money on my entertainment, I will pay you so that you can have fun." Brilliant!
    you do know that people donate to streamers because they find them entertaining. So they are paying for their entertainment.
    it's literally "Thank you for entertaining me during the days, here's something for doing so".

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites
    1
    loss of property or mental issues? sure, pretty much everything can cause that...
    health (non-mental) issues? eeh... some minor perhaps, not something serious like cancer
    death? definitely not, at least not directly...

    now compare it to cigaretes that cause LITERALY milions of deaths every year, some of which are "Second-hand" deaths of nonsmokers caused by smokers...
    its like comparing teaspoon of water to ocean...
    No, it's like comparing an apple to an orange. "It's not cancer" != "It's not dangerous and destructive".

    If you don't think gambling addiction leads to loss of property, mental health issues, physical issues, and death, then you don't understand what gambling addiction does.

    I'm not sure why you think it matters whether it causes it directly or not. Whether you die from cancer or you die from suicide caused by depression caused by gambling all your money away, losing your family and your house, the end result is that you are dead. Gambling addiction also has other effects that smoking doesn't, such as increased incidence of criminality, alcoholism, and others. These things aren't as relevant in a discussion of online videogame purchases, but they still exist.

    Is anyone saying "gambling addiction is equivalent to cancer"? I doubt it. Does that make it any less important to deal with as a problem with an insanely high societal cost? No. Is there any reason that trying to cure cancer precludes attempts to combat gambling addiction? No.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I'm afraid I will have to first explain what gambling is. But I'm pretty sure you can google.
    Google says: take risky action in the hope of a desired result.

    Pretty sure that applies here.

  9. #189
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    you do know that people donate to streamers because they find them entertaining. So they are paying for their entertainment.
    it's literally "Thank you for entertaining me during the days, here's something for doing so".
    Nah, the streamers are predators who exploit their viewers.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    Google says: take risky action in the hope of a desired result.

    Pretty sure that applies here.
    That google definition applies to you exiting your house. Try again. Without googling. Explain what gambling is in regards to money.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That google definition applies to you exiting your house. Try again. Without googling. Explain what gambling is in regards to money.
    I don't know where you live, but for me, leaving my house is not a risky action.


    "Google what gambling is" --> "I don't like the result you got from google, try without google"

    Nice.

  11. #191
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    I don't know where you live, but for me, leaving my house is not a risky action.
    Ignorance, or even feigned ignorance, is not an argument against it being risky.

    Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    "Google what gambling is" --> "I don't like the result you got from google, try without google"

    Nice.
    Whoever reaches for the cherry picked definition that doesn't apply to the topic - loses the argument.

    You cannot make a law with that definition. It will ban you from exiting your house. The door producers will go broke.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Ignorance, or even feigned ignorance, is not an argument against it being risky.



    Whoever reaches for the cherry picked definition that doesn't apply to the topic - loses the argument.

    You cannot make a law with that definition. It will ban you from exiting your house. The door producers will go broke.

    So, here's without google, from the dictionary I have at home. Unfortunately it's not in English because that's not my native language, but the literal translation is this:
    "game, in which success, profit and loss almost exclusively depend on chance".

    Wikipedia says: "Gambling (also known as betting or gaming) is the wagering of something of value ("the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the intent of winning something else of value."


    I get it, you think it's only called "gambling" if you can win actual money. But that's just not the case. Not in any language I know.


    I'm not trying to make a law, and I have no idea why you try to argue that I do. Everybody here knows that when people say "lootboxes are gambling" what they mean by it. Even you know it. You're just trying to sound smart by saying "Ackchyually it's only gambling if you can win money".


    You're talking to real people, people who have common sense.

  13. #193
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    So, here's without google, from the dictionary I have at home. Unfortunately it's not in English because that's not my native language, but the literal translation is this:
    "game, in which success, profit and loss almost exclusively depend on chance".

    Wikipedia says: "Gambling (also known as betting or gaming) is the wagering of something of value ("the stakes") on an event with an uncertain outcome with the intent of winning something else of value."


    I get it, you think it's only called "gambling" if you can win actual money. But that's just not the case. Not in any language I know.


    I'm not trying to make a law, and I have no idea why you try to argue that I do. Everybody here knows that when people say "lootboxes are gambling" what they mean by it. Even you know it. You're just trying to sound smart by saying "Ackchyually it's only gambling if you can win money".


    You're talking to real people, people who have common sense.
    Well you even disagree with your own definitions. It's gambling because you FEEL like it.
    I feel WOW is gambling because I wager a monthly sub for a chance to get a random drop from a boss.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well you even disagree with your own definitions. It's gambling because you FEEL like it.
    I feel WOW is gambling because I wager a monthly sub for a chance to get a random drop from a boss.
    I never once disagreed with my own definition.

    Anyway, no point arguing with someone like you. Have a nice life.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well you even disagree with your own definitions. It's gambling because you FEEL like it.
    I feel WOW is gambling because I wager a monthly sub for a chance to get a random drop from a boss.
    When you have started to dwelve into what the word gambling means, you probably should just stop. Everyone in this thread knows what we are talking about when it comes to gambling in games, yet here you are talking semantics and have derailed the whole thread about a meaningless exchange about what the word should mean.

    For the sake of it, heres another definition;
    "gambling, the betting or staking of something of value, with consciousness of risk and hope of gain, on the outcome of a game, a contest, or an uncertain event whose result may be determined by chance or accident or have an unexpected result by reason of the bettor’s miscalculation."

    Clearly, after a quick google search(that you said people should do), theres plenty of definitions of what gambling is. As such, gambling should be a word used in context. In this thread, its gaming. More specifically, the game Diablo Immortal. Were you spend money for the chance of getting screwed or lucky.

    You know this. We know this. Everyone knows this. So why do you keep going?

  16. #196
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    When you have started to dwelve into what the word gambling means, you probably should just stop. Everyone in this thread knows what we are talking about when it comes to gambling in games, yet here you are talking semantics and have derailed the whole thread about a meaningless exchange about what the word should mean.

    For the sake of it, heres another definition;
    "gambling, the betting or staking of something of value, with consciousness of risk and hope of gain, on the outcome of a game, a contest, or an uncertain event whose result may be determined by chance or accident or have an unexpected result by reason of the bettor’s miscalculation."

    Clearly, after a quick google search(that you said people should do), theres plenty of definitions of what gambling is. As such, gambling should be a word used in context. In this thread, its gaming. More specifically, the game Diablo Immortal. Were you spend money for the chance of getting screwed or lucky.

    You know this. We know this. Everyone knows this. So why do you keep going?
    It's not my problem people have reading comprehension. And if I point it out you would delve into semantic warfare.

    The keywords are "hope of gain". It is obvious to anyone who knows what gambling actually is that that "gain" refers to the "bet" or "stake". You bet something of value in the hope of gaining more, knowing full well the risk of losing it all.

    Diablo Immortal has NO gambling.

    Let the Semantic Wars begin.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's not my problem people have reading comprehension. And if I point it out you would delve into semantic warfare.

    The keywords are "hope of gain". It is obvious to anyone who knows what gambling actually is that that "gain" refers to the "bet" or "stake". You bet something of value in the hope of gaining more, knowing full well the risk of losing it all.

    Diablo Immortal has NO gambling.

    Let the Semantic Wars begin.
    The semantic wars are literally where you live. 50% of your posts rely on a semantic redefinition to avoid a context you don't like.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's not my problem people have reading comprehension. And if I point it out you would delve into semantic warfare.

    The keywords are "hope of gain". It is obvious to anyone who knows what gambling actually is that that "gain" refers to the "bet" or "stake". You bet something of value in the hope of gaining more, knowing full well the risk of losing it all.

    Diablo Immortal has NO gambling.

    Let the Semantic Wars begin.
    No idea why you had to answer only to prove what I said. This thread is 10 pages in and you have been active on the other thread aswell and thats probably over 100 pages by now and after all that time, you have now decided that the definition of the word "gambling" somehow makes what happens in DI ok or something? I have literally no idea what the purpose of it is in this thread.

    Reminds me of how other people get hung up on the words "pay to win" to the point they are obsessed with it and doubles down in endless debates about what it should mean.

    You keep being inept of putting this into context. Then again, I suspect you are hell bendt on just having the last word no matter what.

  19. #199
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    No idea why you had to answer only to prove what I said. This thread is 10 pages in and you have been active on the other thread aswell and thats probably over 100 pages by now and after all that time, you have now decided that the definition of the word "gambling" somehow makes what happens in DI ok or something? I have literally no idea what the purpose of it is in this thread.

    Reminds me of how other people get hung up on the words "pay to win" to the point they are obsessed with it and doubles down in endless debates about what it should mean.

    You keep being inept of putting this into context. Then again, I suspect you are hell bendt on just having the last word no matter what.
    You are basically saying that you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Since you don't even care what it is all about.

    Simply put you, for whatever reason, don't like the monetization in Diablo Immortal.
    Which is FINE. Opinions, man. Play and let play. Pay and let pay.

    But if you want to call it gambling and pay 2 win - you will have to agree with the definitions. Otherwise there's no point. I might as well call it a completely free game in which you can max out your character without paying a cent. And I will be absolutely correct. But it will be beside the point. Just like you calling it gambling.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You are basically saying that you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Since you don't even care what it is all about.

    Simply put you, for whatever reason, don't like the monetization in Diablo Immortal.
    Which is FINE. Opinions, man. Play and let play. Pay and let pay.

    But if you want to call it gambling and pay 2 win - you will have to agree with the definitions. Otherwise there's no point. I might as well call it a completely free game in which you can max out your character without paying a cent. And I will be absolutely correct. But it will be beside the point. Just like you calling it gambling.
    All of it is true. The game is free to play, the game has gambling mechanics and its pay to win.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •