Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ...
7
15
16
17
18
19
... LastLast
  1. #321
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Normally I'd agree, but this isn't just something pulled out of the air, it's something that has already happened before with the same politicians in the same party in question here.

    So yeah, when you see someone talking about how Ted Cruz is really on top of issues in video games, you might want to take a moment to reconsider.
    The slippery slope isn’t if someone believes violent video games are bad. The slippery slope is that violent video games *will be banned*.

    That’s a massive MASSIVE leap in logic.

  2. #322
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I do not see much outrage about game violence recently i think?
    I have no TV for last 10 years but as a kid i remember watching some 'insigthful coverage of mindcontrolling games' reportages... but it was like two decades ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    Now that’s a slippery slope if I’ve ever seen one. Holy Christ Batman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    The slippery slope isn’t if someone believes violent video games are bad. The slippery slope is that violent video games *will be banned*.

    That’s a massive MASSIVE leap in logic.
    I didn't say they would be banned. However:

    @Mendzia (also)

    Just a few weeks ago:
    https://gamerant.com/ted-cruz-blames...ra-convention/

    During his speech at the NRA convention, Ted Cruz suggested that mass shootings in the US are a result of issues like people playing violent video games and not going to church. He said that a combination of those two factors and others have an impact on young Americans. "Tragedies like the events of this week are a mirror forcing us to ask hard questions, demanding that we see where our culture is failing. Looking at broken families, absent fathers, declining church attendance, social media bullying, violent online content, desensitizing the act of murder in video games, chronic isolation, prescription drug and opioid abuse, and their collective effects on the psyche of young Americans," Cruz said. Those in attendance applauded Cruz after his remark about video games.
    So don't tell me that all Cruz wants to do is ban loot boxes.

    Fox News (one month ago): https://gamerant.com/fox-news-violen...falo-shooting/

    All I'm really saying to those who want loot boxes legislatively banned is that they should be careful about they wish for. It won't stop at loot boxes.
    Most people judge because thinking is hard.

  3. #323
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I didn't say they would be banned. However:

    @Mendzia (also)

    Just a few weeks ago:
    https://gamerant.com/ted-cruz-blames...ra-convention/



    So don't tell me that all Cruz wants to do is ban loot boxes.

    Fox News (one month ago): https://gamerant.com/fox-news-violen...falo-shooting/

    All I'm really saying to those who want loot boxes legislatively banned is that they should be careful about they wish for. It won't stop at loot boxes.
    The good thing about Ted Cruz is that pretty much the rest of Congress despises him. So even if he were to try something like this, no one would listen to him anyway.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

  4. #324
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I didn't say they would be banned. However:

    @Mendzia (also)

    Just a few weeks ago:
    https://gamerant.com/ted-cruz-blames...ra-convention/



    So don't tell me that all Cruz wants to do is ban loot boxes.

    Fox News (one month ago): https://gamerant.com/fox-news-violen...falo-shooting/

    All I'm really saying to those who want loot boxes legislatively banned is that they should be careful about they wish for. It won't stop at loot boxes.
    Do you know who you sound like? You unironically sound like a right winger when it comes to any logical gun law suggestion being brought up.

    A good suggestion gets brought up and they instantly jump on “YEAH THIS PERSON SAID A YEAR AGO THEY WANT TO BAN ALL GUNS FOREVER YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO THEIR PLAN TO ASK FOR BACKGROUNDS CHECKS NOW???”

    That’s you.

    That’s literally you right now as we speak.

  5. #325
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    Do you know who you sound like? You unironically sound like a right winger when it comes to any logical gun law suggestion being brought up.

    A good suggestion gets brought up and they instantly jump on “YEAH THIS PERSON SAID A YEAR AGO THEY WANT TO BAN ALL GUNS FOREVER YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO THEIR PLAN TO ASK FOR BACKGROUNDS CHECKS NOW???”

    That’s you.

    That’s literally you right now as we speak.
    That's a fucking stupid comparison.

    The reality here is that you guys are asking for legislation on gaming for no reason other than "I dun like da phones" and you don't seem to be aware of the history of that very topic. Like politicians attributing tragic events to video games and movements to ban violent games altogether in the US back in the 90s. We literally had hearings in Congress over Mortal Kombat, which is why versions of games in the US for many years had no blood or "blood" of different colors than red.

    So yes, don't act like this shit hasn't already been an issue - and apparently remains one in some corners of government. Like I said, think twice before leaping on the "government, come regulate our games!" bandwagon.

  6. #326
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    That's a fucking stupid comparison.

    The reality here is that you guys are asking for legislation on gaming for no reason other than "I dun like da phones" and you don't seem to be aware of the history of that very topic. Like politicians attributing tragic events to video games and movements to ban violent games altogether in the US back in the 90s. We literally had hearings in Congress over Mortal Kombat, which is why versions of games in the US for many years had no blood or "blood" of different colors than red.

    So yes, don't act like this shit hasn't already been an issue - and apparently remains one in some corners of government. Like I said, think twice before leaping on the "government, come regulate our games!" bandwagon.
    No that’s literally a 1:1 comparison actually. Someone said something that’s extreme, so you ignore everything they suggest even if it makes sense. Literally the EXACT. SAME. THING.

    If you’re going to act like it’s not you’re just showing your bias.
    Last edited by Cayde69; 2022-06-21 at 12:38 AM.

  7. #327
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    No that’s literally a 1:1 comparison actually. Someone said something that’s extreme, so you ignore everything they suggest even if it makes sense. Literally the EXACT. SAME. THING.
    I want you to take a breath here and consider that you're equating items in video games with gun violence.

    If nothing else, maybe take a break and cool off if you find this to be a reasonable place to take the topic.

  8. #328
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    I want you to take a breath here and consider that you're equating items in video games with gun violence.

    If nothing else, maybe take a break and cool off if you find this to be a reasonable place to take the topic.
    The subject matter is irrelevant. I could be talking about abortion we can be talking about traffic laws for fuck sake.

    That poster was doing the exact same thing right wing people do when it comes to gun control.

    If it helps your little brain I’ll use a different example. This is like shooting down an idea someone has about maybe making the medical field have regulations for pricing because earlier they advocated for us becoming straight socialist.

    You’re looking at the person and not the idea they are presenting, no matter how good it may be, because your….wait for it…. Wait for it….

    Bias.

  9. #329
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    The subject matter is irrelevant. I could be talking about abortion we can be talking about traffic laws for fuck sake.

    That poster was doing the exact same thing right wing people do when it comes to gun control.

    If it helps your little brain I’ll use a different example. This is like shooting down an idea someone has about maybe making the medical field have regulations for pricing because earlier they advocated for us becoming straight socialist.

    You’re looking at the person and not the idea they are presenting, no matter how good it may be, because your….wait for it…. Wait for it….

    Bias.
    There's no personal bias here, I don't know who the hell you are.

    The fact is that what you're doing is just bog standard false equivalence. You could do this with literally any topic where someone warns you that action X will have consequence Y. Just reply with, "THIS IS JUST LIKE NOT STOPPING SHOOTINGS!!!"

  10. #330
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    There's no personal bias here, I don't know who the hell you are.

    The fact is that what you're doing is just bog standard false equivalence. You could do this with literally any topic where someone warns you that action X will have consequence Y. Just reply with, "THIS IS JUST LIKE NOT STOPPING SHOOTINGS!!!"
    I feel like you don’t have the capacity to understand what a comparison even is. Your comments do not reflect the thought I put forward.

    I’m just going to assume you’re…. Compromised

  11. #331
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    I feel like you don’t have the capacity to understand what a comparison even is. Your comments do not reflect the thought I put forward.

    I’m just going to assume you’re…. Compromised
    It's telling that this entire time you haven't been able to defend your position. Only repeat that someone disagreeing with you must be dumb.

    I'll say again, this is nothing more than a plain false equivalence. You're claiming that just because people not in favor of gun control use a slippery slope argument that ANY situation where someone points out a negative consequence of an action must be equivalent to those not in favor of gun control.

  12. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    It's telling that this entire time you haven't been able to defend your position. Only repeat that someone disagreeing with you must be dumb.

    I'll say again, this is nothing more than a plain false equivalence. You're claiming that just because people not in favor of gun control use a slippery slope argument that ANY situation where someone points out a negative consequence of an action must be equivalent to those not in favor of gun control.
    I did defend it, just because you say NU UH doesn’t mean it’s dismantled buddy LOL

  13. #333
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I have no doubt that there are plenty of fascists in EU governments, who get to decide what is or isn't allowed to their citizens.
    That's the vibe I'm getting from you.

    Just because some schmuck doesn't like something - it gets banned for everybody.
    Holy shit...imagine thinking that goverment regulation against exploitation is fascism,i bet you cried yourself to sleep for years when the local child sweatshop was closed

    reading the stuff you say,i truly hope your just a bored troll,but then again,mental healthcare in usa is a joke

  14. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Holy shit...imagine thinking that goverment regulation against exploitation is fascism,i bet you cried yourself to sleep for years when the local child sweatshop was closed
    You don't have to imagine, that kind of rhetoric (in different forms) is alive and well.

    Just look at things like food service - you know how many employers there are lamenting how the government is literally Hitler for wanting to stop them paying people $2/h? How it's one step before the GULAG to even as much as suggest they not outsource wages to customers through tips?

    This kind of hyperbole and whataboutism has become entrenched in far too many discussions.

  15. #335
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I didn't say they would be banned. However:

    @Mendzia (also)

    Just a few weeks ago:
    https://gamerant.com/ted-cruz-blames...ra-convention/



    So don't tell me that all Cruz wants to do is ban loot boxes.

    Fox News (one month ago): https://gamerant.com/fox-news-violen...falo-shooting/

    All I'm really saying to those who want loot boxes legislatively banned is that they should be careful about they wish for. It won't stop at loot boxes.
    I do not know much about internal US politics but this sounds like single thing that do not happen much. Can be wrong tho.
    In my country i do not remember blaming video games recently... maybe because there are no mass shootings and it is not easy to legally have a gun.

  16. #336
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    The good thing about Ted Cruz is that pretty much the rest of Congress despises him. So even if he were to try something like this, no one would listen to him anyway.
    It doesn't matter if Congress despises him. Christians already consider certain type of video game content to be sinful and would back restrictions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayde69 View Post
    Do you know who you sound like? You unironically sound like a right winger when it comes to any logical gun law suggestion being brought up.

    A good suggestion gets brought up and they instantly jump on “YEAH THIS PERSON SAID A YEAR AGO THEY WANT TO BAN ALL GUNS FOREVER YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO THEIR PLAN TO ASK FOR BACKGROUNDS CHECKS NOW???”

    That’s you.

    That’s literally you right now as we speak.
    And you think that restrictions on video game content are a better solution than gun control?

  17. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    and sky didnt fall, good games without microtransactions didnt dissapear... do we have less games without mtx? well, id say no, but we have VASTLY more games, most of which are monetised, so it SEEMS there is less with just upfront price...

    gaming has changed, well what a surprised, its not like rest of the world is the same it was 20y ago, developers ofc adapted, they had to, otherwise they would be done, theres PLENTY of examples of failed gaming studios...
    Plenty of examples of any activities in the world have failed.

    Gaming studios dont fail because the lack of microtransactions. They fail because their game sucks or is not good enough.

    People can think mobile gaming its all about cash shops. Like its something genetic about them.

    I dont understand this new generations.

    Blizzard games suck big time atm. And its no contest. All that can save Blizzard is player adiction and gambling.
    Thats what is left for Blizz. Pretty depressing imo.

  18. #338
    People need to stop complaining about how others enjoy the game. So what if someone decides to spend a lot of money, it's their choice. It's your choice not to spend or to spend. If you don't want to battle these people in pvp just wait a couple days into the season and they will be in their own league and you won't face them. The whole concept that everything has to be fair for everyone is not true in real life just as it's not the case in mobile games. As soon as people realize that they will have more fun or just not play them. Complaining about it won't change what mobile games have become regarding cash to advance pretty much everything. Just enjoy it for what it is and stop playing when your no longer enjoying yourself. This thread has 17 pages of people mostly being angry at how someone else spends their money.

  19. #339
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So far I’ve given $4.99. Blizzard is paying a lot of salaries with my 499 pennies…
    No, they're paying the salaries with everyone elses money smh

  20. #340
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    35,032
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Enjoy your future games if they go after violence and stuff like GTA. They will, you know. Give them any encouragement and they'll follow their religious donors right down the line claiming that violence in video games is most of what's wrong with America. Fuck, they already are as far as that goes. Short term gain perhaps but long term would be very bad for games that lean toward adults.
    I never thought I'd see you engage in slippery slope, yeah. It's a strange sensation seeing that. One can identify predatory and manipulative monetization, make it illegal, and do so without going full evangelical.

    Gambling, sex, violence, etc. are all separate topics.


    Diablo Immoral feels like the dying screams of a company who know they have squandered all their good will on all but the most die hard fans. They want one big last hurraw. Of course there's more coming down the pipe. But Blizzard is gaining a reputation for being "that company" that releases a new game every year, everyone plays it, realizes it's garbage, then goes back to playing other things. People have such a short term memory. Even Asmon/Josh/others have said this. The Diablo 4 trailer was damage control. They saw D:I getting absolutely shit on by people so they needed a bit of good press. And by the time D4 releases with its own pay to win cash shop, most of us will be going "told ya so" while the die hards will go "BUT I'M HAVING FUN".
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •