Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It also doesn't matter much without comparing it to a similar budget mobile game. How many other mobile games have a similar budget and how much do they make? That would actually be interesting to see because you'd know if the profit they are making is worth the brand damage.
    I don't think an argument can be made that brand damage even enters the discussion at Blizzard once DI released as it did. When functionally 100% of your money comes from 3% of your players, the only people whose opinions matter to your bottom line are those 3%, and for everyone else it just has to be ok enough to be playable. In a mobile market where it is better than 95% of alternative arpgs mechanically, its brand doesn't even matter. It's a means to an end; an acceleration of the initial uptake and nothing more.

DI is already an overwhelming success in the eyes of every person with any decision making power whatsoever at Blizzard. It would be hilarious to be a fly on the wall if it ends up actually being banned in China, because there will be some fucking angry people in that room, but ultimately its only whether the profit is is fucking stupid or absolutely fucking stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's an article about the revenue and downloads of the game. That is interesting to me. In particular how it quickly outdid Apex Legends on mobile, which was a huge game in the space.

This is a thread on spending in the game, and I think an article about the revenue generation of DI is interesting in that context.
    To each their own It's like linking the times tables as an interesting addendum to a maths article :P Like I said, I only asked because I thought I missed something!

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    I don't think an argument can be made that brand damage even enters the discussion at Blizzard once DI released as it did. When functionally 100% of your money comes from 3% of your players, the only people whose opinions matter to your bottom line are those 3%, and for everyone else it just has to be ok enough to be playable. In a mobile market where it is better than 95% of alternative arpgs mechanically, its brand doesn't even matter. It's a means to an end; an acceleration of the initial uptake and nothing more.
    While we'll never have exact figures, people generally overestimate the share of profits that whales are funding. A lot of estimates seem to be around 50%, but who knows.

Logically, a million people buying a 99 cent package or two will at least keep pace with a handful of people spending tens of thousands. We just don't know for certain what the ratio is.