Question about GW2 expansions

Do I need to play the old expansion stories, or can I go straight to the new expansion story?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Do I need to play the old expansion stories, or can I go straight to the new expansion story?
    You can skip straight to End of Dragons, but you'll miss out on the story and masteries from previous expansion (like mounts and gliders and stuff), plus the additional specializations they bring. You don't need to play through expansions linearly.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Jumping straight into EoD is inadvisable. EoD has no transformative features like gliding or mounts that you want to obtain right away (unlike HoT or PoF). The only reason to do EoD content is for the story, which if you want to get the most out of you should do after having done everything else.

If you want to play GW2 for the story, then you can through the 1-80 personal story right now, wait a couple months for the rest of living world season 1 to release, and then go through the whole story in order. Be warned that the 1-80 personal story and living world season 2 really suck but the rest of the story gives you a decent amount of fun for the time required.

Story order is

• Vanilla 1-80 personal story
    • Living world season 1
    • Living world season 2
    • Heart of Thorns
    • Living world season 3
    • Path of Fire
    • Living world season 4
    • Icebrood Saga
    • End of Dragons

Question: Do i need expansions on top of base game to just do the world vs world pvp along with the 5v5 arena activities? I own the game but don't want to pay for expansion because I will be playing super casual. I want to do competitive pvp as long as I don't have to pay for it every few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasruhdah View Post
    Question: Do i need expansions on top of base game to just do the world vs world pvp along with the 5v5 arena activities? I own the game but don't want to pay for expansion because I will be playing super casual. I want to do competitive pvp as long as I don't have to pay for it every few months.
    You can do both without expansions but you'll be missing out on trait lines exclusive to the expansion if that matters to you. You definitely wouldn't need any of the "living story".

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Elite specs are a raw power boost compared to the vanilla specializations, and elite specs are locked behind the expansions. If you want to PvP then definitely get the expansions so you're not gimped compared to everyone else. The latest expansion also allows you to mix and match weapons from different elite specs, opening up more build variety.

If you play WvW, be ware that in order to get into a zerg organized over discord, you may have to play the build that the WvW guildleader demands you play. WvW has a specific meta for zergs, all elite specs ofcourse.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-10-08 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Elite specs are a raw power boost compared to the vanilla specializations, and elite specs are locked behind the expansions. If you want to PvP then definitely get the expansions so you're not gimped compared to everyone else. The latest expansion also allows you to mix and match weapons from different elite specs, opening up more build variety.

If you play WvW, be ware that in order to get into a zerg organized over discord, you may have to play the build that the WvW guildleader demands you play. WvW has a specific meta for zergs, all elite specs ofcourse.
    Thanks Boss. You the best. I will look it up how much expansions cost and probably get them. This game has no subscription so it's a'aight

Thanks Boss. You the best. I will look it up how much expansions cost and probably get them. This game has no subscription so it's a'aight
    There's likely a fall or winter sale coming up if you don't mind waiting a bit, and it'll probably have a decent deal on HoT/PoF/EoD, which are the three expansions that actually let you unlock elite specializations. I don't PvP but I doubt that the current expansion and Weapon Master (no more limits on elite spec weapon use) makes a huge difference for many classes, so you might not need to nab that one. But I'll defer to folks that actually PvP.