Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The realization that if it does not come in 11.0 probably will never happen is depressing.

Most expansions, while cool, don't bring much regarding core Azeroth racial development, lore, environment, and culture. However, they do all this work, every new expansion, for fresher non-playable races that nobody will give a shit about in a couple of months.

I think it's not good for the game that the races and cultures we're more invested in are so far behind the new stuff. It's depressing to see new players pushed into new expansion content (BFA rn) instead of something meant to be the core and foundation of the franchise.

The Vanilla/Classic experience portrays this franchise exceptionally well, but that experience has been abandoned/forgotten in Retail.

If they don't make a World Revamp then I'll join the WoW2 crowd since it'll be the only way to get updated Azeroth.

Blizzard don't need to do this because they know they can bait the same audience with xmogs and few useless stuff to get them to sub

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Says who? That implies the writing team and devs would change. I ask again - what can they do with WoW 2.0 that they cant do with an expansion? You failed horribly to answer that question.
    In my rewrite Varian is still a racist twit, Thrall is "peace-chief" while Garrosh is "war-chief," that ridiculous"cosmic chart never existed because magic won't be so...categorized and labeled, Teldrassil never burned, Sylvanas gets the fate she deserves at the hands of the Lich King, making her a martyr to the Forsaken,
    Orcs, Ogres, and goblins make up the original horde. Humans, dwarves, and gnomes make up the original alliance. Night elves, Tauren, (and others TBD) have their own faction. The Tauren will be as massive a force as Nightelf as they'll have among their own alliance the Yaungol, Taunka, and High Mountain Tauren...and they'll be neutral to the horde/alliance conflict.

This is all a wip and the beginning. In my rewrite, I have the "good" faction, (Horde or Alliance), and a "neutral" faction, (referred to as "independent factions") Ive been playing with an idea of an "evil" faction. A faction (or factions) that you the player would choose at the start. And unknown to all throughout the game until the right expansion comes along.

Classes change and back to basics to trace out making coherent consistent sense of the races/classes. Some things would be outright banned...such as a night elf Warlock. Other pairings might be considered exceptions, but only when it makes sense. And for that to occur the game itself would need a flexibility that doesn't exist regarding specs. A Tauren Rogue will never be "subtle" or an "assassin." But an "outlaw?" Doable, but the other two specs would have to fit. Perhaps the hunter's "marksmanship" and "survival" or the warrior's "arms" and "protection."

And that's all I've time for...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    In my rewrite Varian is still a racist twit, Thrall is "peace-chief" while Garrosh is "war-chief," that ridiculous"cosmic chart never existed because magic won't be so...categorized and labeled, Teldrassil never burned, Sylvanas gets the fate she deserves at the hands of the Lich King, making her a martyr to the Forsaken,
    Orcs, Ogres, and goblins make up the original horde. Humans, dwarves, and gnomes make up the original alliance. Night elves, Tauren, (and others TBD) have their own faction. The Tauren will be as massive a force as Nightelf as they'll have among their own alliance the Yaungol, Taunka, and High Mountain Tauren...and they'll be neutral to the horde/alliance conflict.

This is all a wip and the beginning. In my rewrite, I have the "good" faction, (Horde or Alliance), and a "neutral" faction, (referred to as "independent factions") Ive been playing with an idea of an "evil" faction. A faction (or factions) that you the player would choose at the start. And unknown to all throughout the game until the right expansion comes along.

Classes change and back to basics to trace out making coherent consistent sense of the races/classes. Some things would be outright banned...such as a night elf Warlock. Other pairings might be considered exceptions, but only when it makes sense. And for that to occur the game itself would need a flexibility that doesn't exist regarding specs. A Tauren Rogue will never be "subtle" or an "assassin." But an "outlaw?" Doable, but the other two specs would have to fit. Perhaps the hunter's "marksmanship" and "survival" or the warrior's "arms" and "protection."

And that's all I've time for...
    But my question was whats stopping them making it an expansion? We have gone to alternate realities / time lines, outer space, etc - i see no reason they cant do all the things you said in an expansion. It carries the same risk - unless they rebrand "retail" to ALL be included in classic, and create a variety of options for that, and THEN launch WoW2, but i still say - "why?"

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    But my question was whats stopping them making it an expansion? We have gone to alternate realities / time lines, outer space, etc - i see no reason they cant do all the things you said in an expansion.
    Because that earlier shit was just that; shit.

None of that...no making dumbass expansions that are just glorified "what if" statements. The lore should never have become a Marvel comic gimmick.

Imo, Iain had a good idea here;
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I want to see 'mini-races' who are their own faction. They'll be attacked (and killed) on sight by any Horde and Alliance guards, they have their own system where they carry out objectives and gather resources throughout the world which they can then trade with through neutral factions.

Just a way to populate the world again with players who have to survive in this highly hostile place and obtain highly exclusive achievement and items for their mains that way.

Murlocs, Virmen, Kobolds and Quilboars would be a perfect first batch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Yes exactly. The player enters the same world they've been conquering for decades, and experience it through the eyes of the underdog again.

Quote Originally Posted by Koollan View Post
    You work at Blizzard, I assume? Is this an official statement?
    Yes, in that case I do. People were predicting / expecting a world revamp...

... for Legion
    ... for BfA
    ... for Shadowlands
    ... for Dragonflight

There's a certain amount of people that is regurgitating this world revamp nonsense since almost a decade and each and every time there is "evidence" that it's definitely going to happen now.

It's not. Move on. A world revamp is not worth the effort (don't get me wrong, I would love another revamp, but I'm realistic and pragmatic).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Yes, in that case I do. People were predicting / expecting a world revamp...

... for Legion
    ... for BfA
    ... for Shadowlands
    ... for Dragonflight

There's a certain amount of people that is regurgitating this world revamp nonsense since almost a decade and each and every time there is "evidence" that it's definitely going to happen now.

It's not. Move on. A world revamp is not worth the effort (don't get me wrong, I would love another revamp, but I'm realistic and pragmatic).
    Realistcally, there was no time before DF that made sense for any world revamp (other than, let's say, BfA - which was partially a world revamp).

There simply was not. Knowingly, Blizzard can only handcraft 4 to 5 zones for each expansion - 6 in BfA, 8 if you count Arathi and Darkshore. Making zones from scratch takes much more effort and time than revamping and updating old zones, from Blizzard's own admittance - but entire continents at a time is a long ask.

Point being - if there was any time to begin reworking the zones of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, one at a time, very sequentially, perhaps starting with a core 4 zones like any other expansion - now is the time. The iron is hot. The game itself has just been revamped. The world content has been reworked. The last thing to revamp is the world. There has been no other time that made sense for it besides now, when DF is 'going back to Azeroth', and Blizzard states that they're back for a good while.

It made no sense for Legion. It made only a bit of sense for BfA. It made no sense for Shadowlands. It made no sense for Dragonflight - though with Dragonflights' setup and promises, then 11.0 will either be a revamp of a few choice zones, or the continents will never see a rework ever again. The game will die before Blizzard entertains it in that world. But the revamp is the most commonsense path forward from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

This (OP's post) is a good impartial post that has been pretty well thought out.

I think a revamp of sorts would be good or some sort of Chromie time back to vanilla if even possible.

The Cata revamp has now been in place longer than the original zones were now and really do seem janky and dated. I imagine they regret a lot of the cosmetic changes they made in a lot of zones (Or at least I regret on their behalf).

Admittedly I don't have a lot of answers beyond what OP suggests in effort to rectify some of the mess.
    Last edited by Beasty; 2023-01-10 at 02:59 PM.

I was hoping we'd see a growing zone by now. Maybe related to that sand place on the dragon isles, where every week theres a new patch of land that has seamlessly expanded the border. ofc not every zone in old world could work this way(tanaris drying up would be cool), but it would be an example of how they do a slow rollout instead of the cata style of all at once. Thralls orc jesus, bring voljin back as troll moses

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to say I would be surprised if a old world revamp isn't in the works for 11.0 or 12.0. If they learned anything from what they've done in the past (since Cata), they've been having a small team reworking the old areas since BFA in (thinking of Darkshore and Arathi Highlands as "test beds" on how old areas could be redone to still look and feel like the old zones, but being visually updated to look more modern).

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post

The Cata revamp has now been in place longer than the original zones were now and really do seem janky and dated.
    Also true. Dragonflight helped bring back a lot of old players, but the new player experience needs a lot of work. You do Exile's reach a quick zone that gives you zero real racial or faction identity and only one sidequest that deals with your class. After that you randomly pick one of the dated expansion stories with characters and events you have zero connection to.

I know a world revamp is a monumental task, but it has to be done.

Also @Worldshaper We have hints that old mounts will be enabled for Dragonriding. But old zones weren't made with it in mind. To make riding fun there, adjustments have to be made. This could also be added to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Also true. Dragonflight helped bring back a lot of old players, but the new player experience needs a lot of work. You do Exile's reach a quick zone that gives you zero real racial or faction identity and only one sidequest that deals with your class. After that you randomly pick one of the dated expansion stories with characters and events you have zero connection to.
    I think we reached a point where the OG continents need a Revamp to restablish and replinish the franchise as whole, because we had so many expansion and patches focusing in cosmic stuff or foreign races that we lost the Warcraft feel, even though BFA captured a bit of it, it was still based on foreign races/places.

For instance, both Night Elf and Blood Elf fans are screaming for lore progress, as their legacy and cities are nothing but ruins, the Draenei lives in a crashing site since 2007, while the Worgen have been refugees twice as their city and legacy rot, and even the undead that received some progress in 9.2.5 is homeless... How many decades wil take to fix these races background at this pace? I mean, why are we dealing with cosmic threats or made-up stuff that have little to no appeal, when we can't even clean our backyard that we love so much? Makes no sense...

Cosmic Stuff and World Ending threaths were fun for a time, but's not the case anymore, while Blizzard keeps pushing content that doesn't even feel they belong on this game, the community keeps talking and making content surrounding the old stuff.

WoW 2 is starting to getting traction basically because people wanna see progress on legacy stuff, and the very first thing they'll need to do for such project after designing the gameplay mechanics will be remaking Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms from scratch.
    Last edited by Luck4; 2023-03-23 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utsuko View Post
    11.0 will be a revamp of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. This would be a great opportunity to use 20 years of WoW and its 10th expansion as a selling point for the anniversary by bringing the old world back to the current standard. The ideal time to add a feature that was supposed to be available in vanilla already and which is expected since, the housing (in capitals).

It would be ridiculous not to take advantage of this selling point anyway. They have enormous potential to be seized.

Maybe a clue about the future revamp: in the orcs heritage quests we had to help a lizard-thunder spirit consisting of planting seeds of a future oasis and he says the flora and fauna will return and will greatly benefit at Orgrimmar.

Not to mention the fact that they're updating a lot of old models, including a refresh of the giraffe skeleton that's found almost exclusively in the Barrens.

Also, the new rite of passage introduced can give an idea of what the new introductory orc quests will look like.

This is being confirmed more and more... The revamp of the old world is on the way!
    i do not know. It sure seems like it. And scarlet armor leak etc. But not sure. We thought it also in what...legion? when they update uthers tomb. it was barely used.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    i do not know. It sure seems like it. And scarlet armor leak etc. But not sure. We thought it also in what...legion? when they update uthers tomb. it was barely used.
    Yeah, many players (myself included) have been hoping and expectating a World Revamp since 2017 after Legion launched, prior to 8.0 reveal.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post

For instance, both Night Elf and Blood Elf fans are screaming for lore progress, as their legacy and cities are nothing but ruins, the Draenei lives in a crashing site since 2007, while the Worgen have been refugees twice as their city and legacy rot, and even the undead that received some progress in 9.2.5 is homeless... How many decades wil take to fix these races background at this pace? I mean, why are we dealing with cosmic threats or made-up stuff that have little to no appeal, when we can't even clean our backyard that we love so much? Makes no sense...
    Thank you! I'm not the only one. I don't even really play Draenei since Worgen are an option but the state of the Exodar bothers me to no end. They live in a crashsite, half of Silvermoon is ruined, Trolls, Gnomes, Nighth Elves and Undead are effectively homeless, the Alliane and the Horde switched form of government somehow, Allied Races barely have enough presence. Pandaren have no central government and with the Sha eradicated their lifestyle is unnecessary now. Also they don't really have a decent sized city.

And that's not even getting into the state of Darkshore and Silithus. The homeless problem in Westfall, or how Darkshire was decimated after so many of the populace sided with the Legion. Hoboyy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    Yeah, many players (myself included) have been hoping and expectating a World Revamp since 2017 after Legion launched, prior to 8.0 reveal.
    Would not expect a fast 1.
    To much time , money wasted on empty zones. think zone by zone, by a off team would/is the best option. Just team or % of hours you might spend on it. Like if you are sick of making dragon themed stuff. you are allowed as artist to make something for a old zone.

Except at that time there was no reason to do a revamp. Since there were already the Broken Islands.

Here we are talking about an extension only based on the old world (Kalimdor & Eastern Kingdoms).
    Several clues lead to this conclusion.

Since several extensions they update models which are not used (buildings,...) and old models of creatures. Uther's tomb was just a little personal treat from one of the devs, it has been said though. It takes years to update the huge original landmasses.

11.0 and 20 years of the game is a great reason to update.
    Yes, but again. a expansion in old world content and updating those zones can happen. But that will be a few zones.
    What i see people talking about here is the whole of the kalimdor and EK....thats just 2 much work for zones they will not be in during that/those expansions.

Yes i think if the light happens we will get a plaguelands update. But a 1000 needles? nope.

No, it wouldn't be just a few areas, but all of the continents. It wouldn't make sense to update Durotar but the Barrens would still be old. They would merge some areas to be the standard size currently.
    As I said before, they have been preparing for several years by updating the old world, it is quite possible that this will happen for the 20 years.
    Yes it could happen, and would be great.

But again, looking at this from not a wishlist, but a buisness point of view. How much money, time etc would it take to do all of that. Just for zones, with no new content. Who might get remade if there is a new expansion. Like lets say....East plaguelands gets a update. And then a new expansion comes in that zone and it needs a update again. Per example Tirisfal, how many times has that not been upgraded/have alt version of it.

Like i hope you are right and for 20 years of WoW we get this. But seeing as how money grabbing the bosses as blizzard are. I do not see it happen.

1 think that is favor off your point is that some zones have already have updates. like my capitol city, its a nice big pile of burned wood right now :'(
    Last edited by baskev; 2023-03-25 at 10:37 PM.

I don't know from a business perspective it could make sense if it was to create a singular leveling path to attract new people (pushing everything else into TimeWalking) and if it was also going to utilize the old zones for the endgame players as well. If it was only one of those I don't think it would be economically sensible.

Truth is that WoW is a seasonal game. Revamping the massive 2 continents is just a waste of resources simply because even current expansion's content is largely invalidated by the first major patch and completely made irrelevant by the next expansion.
    Unless they make something to keep it relevant in the future there's no way they can justify doing that. Good luck with that though, WoW is all about high end content ... best they can do for world content is some "rares" with horrible drop rates, and even then you still rely on high end content to get stuff .. like upgrade crafted gear.
    Last edited by kranur; 2023-03-26 at 12:37 AM.