Page 1 of 30
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Diablo 4 could end up having microtransactions

    The listing in question, which is for a Product Manager for Diablo 4, reveals that the successful candidate "will play a critical role in managing the Diablo 4 in-game store experience," which is described by the listing as "a key component of the game's seasonal content strategy." Whoever gets the job will also be responsible for identifying sales trends and quantifying purchase behaviors, as well as using tools to configure prices and availability within the in-game store.

    https://gamerant.com/diablo-4-diablo...otransactions/

    The job add in question:

    https://careers.blizzard.com/global/...ager-Diablo-IV
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

  2. #2
    Herald of the Titans Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,622
    And where is the problem?^^ Modern games usually have some kind of microtransactions anyways.

  3. #3
    They somehow seem to forget that they have to compete against PoE 2

  4. #4
    Are people really surprised?

    Almost all games lately have an in-game shop in the form of cosmetics and / or mounts at the least and maybe a season pass.
    I assume the same for D4.

  5. #5
    Of course it will have it.
    That is why i most likely won't touch it at all.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    And where is the problem?^^ Modern games usually have some kind of microtransactions anyways.
    Quite simply, the fact that Diablo Immortal has already been shunned to death for an immoral practice of increadably pay to win qualities, the moment you add that to Diablo 4 its going to heavily affect peoples want to preorder, or play.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    They somehow seem to forget that they have to compete against PoE 2
    Never heard off this or the first but after watching the trailer for POE 2, holy shit... Wow
    Is it worth playing the first one now or just wait?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Quite simply, the fact that Diablo Immortal has already been shunned to death for an immoral practice of increadably pay to win qualities, the moment you add that to Diablo 4 its going to heavily affect peoples want to preorder, or play.
    Do anything like the real money auction house, sell any form of power gain or really, anything at this point that slightly upsets me about anything blizzard does will result in me just torrenting or plain avoiding the game...

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,622
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Quite simply, the fact that Diablo Immortal has already been shunned to death for an immoral practice of increadably pay to win qualities, the moment you add that to Diablo 4 its going to heavily affect peoples want to preorder, or play.
    Which is a bit .... exaggerated by certain people like Bellular, that's all. No sane person would pay 10k dollars for some boring gems, and they are not meant to be maxed out ... the game is supposed to live on for some time, you shouldn't have "bis" gear on day one lol.

    But than again, I don't play for "playerpower" anyways so I couldn't care less about the crest thing.

  9. #9
    Microtransactions aren't inherently the devil's work.

    The question is what are the MTX gonna be. If it's largely cosmetic like PoE, I couldn't care less. If it's more like Diablo Immortal, well... Guess I'll stick with D3.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

    Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    And where is the problem?^^
    That P2W games are lame and are made for people who lack skill.

    If it's cosmetics then I don't care.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Which is a bit .... exaggerated by certain people like Bellular, that's all. No sane person would pay 10k dollars for some boring gems, and they are not meant to be maxed out ... the game is supposed to live on for some time, you shouldn't have "bis" gear on day one lol.

    But than again, I don't play for "playerpower" anyways so I couldn't care less about the crest thing.
    Not exaggerated, undervalued.

    Josh Strife Hayes gave an even more accurate evaulation of the $110K evaulation by prooving that its not just maxing out one char but per char.

    In short, it could probably cost you nearly half a million dollars or quid if your British like myself to fully upgrade every char you own.

    The game also has a significant gapstop after level 35 which intentionally slows your progress to a significant crawl, making leveling stupidly slow while encouraging you to pay.

    Now let me be clear, you dont have to, no, but your incentivised too.

    This is literally like someone putting an AD in your video every 2 seconds reminding you that if you want ads to stop you can always subscribe.

    Thats the level of irritating/exploitve and opportunistic this is.

    They know its scummy, they know its wrong, they dont care.

    But the chances are, given that 18 countries in the EU and despite it leaving the EU including UK have all agreed that loot box regulation needs increased regulation, there is a very real chance D Immortal will get banned EU wide, and possibly that would also mean D4 would get banned.

  12. #12
    p2w exists because you "don't care" about cosmetics, it let them in

  13. #13
    This isn't even news. Back when they first showed off the game they said upfront that there'd be cosmetic microtransactions like different mounts and such (think only varieties of horses though).

    Probably eventually transmog and possibly spell effects as well though. It's to be expected at this point. Really no incentive for a company like Blizzard to keep developing for a game like Diablo if there's no recurring monetization beyond the initial sale.

    That's the primary reason why D3 died off after the AH was removed and why they couldn't be arsed to fix WC3:R
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2022-06-10 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  14. #14
    I wish diablo immortal fails hard in order for them to get realise that even though mobile gaming is huge, it is not where their player base resides.

    From my point of view they are endangering a pretty massive IP to gain short term gains and in the meantime they have already destroyed since its first announcement a huge amount of goodwill from their fan-base.

    Micro-transactions are lame but still it is cool that in nowadays market you can actively award with your hard earned money a game that you no-life, back in the day when i was nolifing warcraft3 and cs i would definitely invest a few euros here and there to see those games flourish.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    And where is the problem?^^ Modern games usually have some kind of microtransactions anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Quite simply, the fact that Diablo Immortal has already been shunned to death for an immoral practice of increadably pay to win qualities, the moment you add that to Diablo 4 its going to heavily affect peoples want to preorder, or play.

    The problem is, and trickery, Blizzard will do something like have people preorder the game and then when you get the game they will have all these dumb ass cash options like they did with Diablo Immortal.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,622
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Not exaggerated, undervalued.

    Josh Strife Hayes gave an even more accurate evaulation of the $110K evaulation by prooving that its not just maxing out one char but per char.

    In short, it could probably cost you nearly half a million dollars or quid if your British like myself to fully upgrade every char you own.

    The game also has a significant gapstop after level 35 which intentionally slows your progress to a significant crawl, making leveling stupidly slow while encouraging you to pay.

    Now let me be clear, you dont have to, no, but your incentivised too.

    This is literally like someone putting an AD in your video every 2 seconds reminding you that if you want ads to stop you can always subscribe.

    Thats the level of irritating/exploitve and opportunistic this is.

    They know its scummy, they know its wrong, they dont care.

    But the chances are, given that 18 countries in the EU and despite it leaving the EU including UK have all agreed that loot box regulation needs increased regulation, there is a very real chance D Immortal will get banned EU wide, and possibly that would also mean D4 would get banned.
    I don't see any reason why you have to be able to upgrade a character to "bis" though. It's supposed to be a mmo that lasts "forever", so it kinda makes sense to have the highest rank so far away that it's basically impossible to do, especially on day one. And no, they won't ban diablo in EU, before that happens they would change stuff like they did with diablo 3's real money action house.

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    See y'all in the "I got disconnected while in a 50k login queue and now I'm back at the start of it!" thread.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    p2w exists because you "don't care" about cosmetics, it let them in
    thats the same stupid reasoning as making weed illegal bcs all weed smokers will over time turn into heroin addicts...
    p2w microtransactions exist bcs they make money, they would exist regardless of cosmetics...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    They somehow seem to forget that they have to compete against PoE 2
    thank god PoE is completely without microtransactions, right?
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-06-10 at 12:38 PM.

  19. #19
    Titan Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    11,609
    Anyone's default position should be, by principle, to be agaisnt microtransactions, whatever their nature may be, especially when they're impactful as they are in D:I.

    Such predatory practices and the games in which they exist are created and directed towards the payer not the player.

    The irony that escapes people in the case of D.I is that they were provided with an unfinished product. What happened was a snakesoil salesman showed up and gave you, for free, this somewhat enjoyable and fun thing. However, you can't have this thing without the incessant pop up that tells you how much better this experience can be if you just spend a little extra money.

    You either make a game that has all the things that it should have and earn my trust and respect to the point that I'm willing to buy the ensuing products - read expansions/other games - or you don't and have your product denounced for the cash grab that it is.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    thats the same stupid reasoning as making weed illegal bcs all weed smokers will over time turn into heroin addicts...
    p2w microtransactions exist bcs they make money, they would exist regardless of cosmetics...

    what ever helps you sleep at night to make being gouged out the ass for virtual clothing feel less bad

    You are the reason things are how they are now


    This could've been avoided but people like you found it okay so enjoy immortal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •