Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diab...te-august-2022

It will. Blog post on monetization and post-launch support. Honestly looks pretty good. Season Passes for each season and only cosmetic MTX by the looks of it. Not a bad tradeoff if seasons will actually see new content and mechanics and whatnot.
    I'm honestly 100% fine with the system as described. I've said previously that something like increased XP to level new characters to cap is completely fine, and is a convenience not a power gain. And of course cosmetics are pretty self-explanatory.

As long as they keep things like the season pass and of course their premium currency confined exclusively to cosmetics/convenience I have absolutely zero problems with them monetizing that. In fact, it's a GOOD thing, because that way the people who WANT to spend money on cosmetic stuff are supporting new content updates for the free players, too.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diab...te-august-2022

It will. Blog post on monetization and post-launch support. Honestly looks pretty good. Season Passes for each season and only cosmetic MTX by the looks of it. Not a bad tradeoff if seasons will actually see new content and mechanics and whatnot.
    yeah this all looks solid to me

I don't mind monetization as long as it's not intrusive to the enjoyment of the game itself. Cosmetics and such are fine, as long as they provide plenty of non-paid cosmetics to obtain. Like what we have in WoW with paid pets and mounts aren't really a problem to me. They could reasonably sell transmogs and I don't think I'd have a big problem with it.

Season pass though I'm not sure about. Seems like a fairly normal thing today, but I've never been one to 'sub' into a season pass, and I don't think I'd plan to for this either. FOMO sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Season pass though I'm not sure about. Seems like a fairly normal thing today, but I've never been one to 'sub' into a season pass, and I don't think I'd plan to for this either. FOMO sucks.
    I agree, but it looks like the Season Pass is also cosmetic/convenience only. You don't have to buy it, and you still get all the content and gameplay for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    It is fairly normal, and it works pretty perfectly with the seasonal setup of Diablo to begin with. I doubt they're gonna be crazy, but it's simply another monetization tool that they can use without exclusively relying on folks buying cosmetics directly. It's proven to be very profitable and successful across multiple games. Hell, even PoE added a "season pass" of sorts about a year ago on top of their supporter packs and large cash shop.

People on other areas are nutso, expecting a long term supported game with no shop or battlepass nowadays, corporate would never approve and lack of funds is why d3 died.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    People on other areas are nutso, expecting a long term supported game with no shop or battlepass nowadays, corporate would never approve and lack of funds is why d3 died.
    D3 didn't die, it keeps bringing people back each season. And let's not suddenly pretend it was lack of revenue (D3 sold amazingly) and not design choices that created issues like having to endlessly farm Act 3 in vanilla game. This "games need ongoing revenue" is an unfortunate norm that people accepted and corpos love to repeat.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-08-18 at 08:49 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Yeah, many people in D3 have spent years BEGGING Blizzard to bring the cosmetics shop they already have in the game in China over to the US to finance more content. Of course that didn't happen (and it's too late now), but it's good to see this in D4.

What they've said so far is pretty close to the ideal situation, to be honest. They even went so far as to restrict the season boosts to FREE tiers and NOT make them purchasable, which is more than I expected.

This seems like a very good model overall so far.

I'd like to know what the premium currency is for. If its only cosmetic that's no big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    D3 didn't die, it keeps bringing people back each season. And let's not suddenly pretend it was lack of revenue (D3 sold amazingly) and not design choices that created issues like having to endlessly farm Act 3 in vanilla game. This "games need ongoing revenue" is an unfortunate norm that people accepted and corpos love to repeat.
    It's developmentally dead and has been for a very long time (basically since the expansion, I don't really count the necro patch as much). Seasons are just gimmicks created by the skeleton crew they have over there.

It had a second expansion shitcanned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I'd like to know what the premium currency is for. If its only cosmetic that's no big deal to me.
    They said the shop was fully cosmetic, showed it off a bit, the cosmetics from the shop honestly look worse than the in game cosmetics imo.

If they decide to do this, then expansions should be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    In my country there's a popular phrase that translate into something like this.

"Who pays in advance is never well served"

Dont underestimate our ancients intelect.
    I mean, this kind of speaks IN FAVOR of them having MTX and season passes, though?

So I guess they're doing it right, then.

they literally say in the post its for cosmetics.

Not buying a game with pure greed mtx and a pay-to-play season system. Fuck that completely. I'd rather have expansions to Diablo 3 than what Diablo Immortal / IV are...

This game's the biggest shameless PoS I've ever come across... I blame the players for playing and paying for this type of crap [mtx] encouraging devs to make them.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2022-08-18 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Yeah, many people in D3 have spent years BEGGING Blizzard to bring the cosmetics shop they already have in the game in China over to the US to finance more content. Of course that didn't happen (and it's too late now), but it's good to see this in D4.

What they've said so far is pretty close to the ideal situation, to be honest. They even went so far as to restrict the season boosts to FREE tiers and NOT make them purchasable, which is more than I expected.

This seems like a very good model overall so far.
    I still don't like battle passes in games regardless.
    That and the premium currency stuff is where the game starts to feel like it's trying to take advantage of human psychology.

I'm sure the premium currency will be set up in a way that you're never really able to just outright buy something. You'll end up with too little in one tier and too much in the next leaving you constantly with a little bit of extra currency.

That's done on purpose so you're always spending more money than you need to for the one item you want, and it also creates a feeling of wanting to buy a certain amount of cosmetics in order to clear yourself of that extra premium currency laying around.

As for the battle pass, they're locking special seasonal cosmetic items (AKA limited time items that will vanish) behind selling you a premium battle pass which still requires you to spend time and effort into progressing through the battle pass anyway. That's... more acceptable in free to play games like Fortnite, but D4 is going to also have a box price attached to it. So they're selling you the ability to play the game so that they can then sell you the ability to unlock things in the game every season.

It's also taking advantage of a few different forms of psychology. FOMO in the regard that maybe you aren't interested in playing D4 right now, but you better play this season (and pay for the battle pass) or else you'll be missing out on these cool rewards!

And it's also trying to take advantage of the people playing the game regularly by showing them these cool rewards that they've ALREADY EARNED!!! You don't have to do anything extra, just swipe your credit card and all your hard earned work will have its full potential unlocked!

According to the blog post, it's for cosmetics and that's it.

Still possibility for stuff like stash space, that's just pure guessing for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    If they decide to do this, then expansions should be free.
    Why? Expansions are still expansions, this cash shop exists to fund development of the game via free updates delivered each season.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    Not buying a game with pure greed mtx and a pay-to-play season system. Fuck that completely. I'd rather have expansions to Diablo 3 than what Diablo Immortal / IV are...
    Pay-to-play season system? You don't need to buy the season pass, you can still enjoy all the free content and earn the free rewards from it.

This isn't at all what D:I is outside of the use of a season pass, which is a very general concept with a ton of different implementations across games. There's no indication that D4 monetization will be anything like D:I monetization outside of selling cosmetics and a season pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    This game's the biggest shameless PoS I've ever come across... I blame the players for playing and paying for this type of crap [mtx] encouraging devs to make them.
    Do you like regular free content updates that you don't need to spend a penny on? Do you like new stuff to keep the game fun in between paid expansions? If so, this is how it's done. The alternative is the release the game and we get minor tweaks as the only additions/changes each season, and the only content updates or meaningful improvements come with paid expansions.

Do you like regular free content updates that you don't need to spend a penny on? Do you like new stuff to keep the game fun in between paid expansions? If so, this is how it's done. The alternative is the release the game and we get minor tweaks as the only additions/changes each season, and the only content updates or meaningful improvements come with paid expansions.
    I got no problems with strictly cosmetics, but those with power gains I avoid such games like the plague they are...

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I got no problems with strictly cosmetics, but those with power gains I avoid such games like the plague they are...
    Good, then you shouldn't have to worry. The blog post is fairly explicit in stating that monetization is cosmetic only. We'll see if there are any surprises at launch, but right now it's seeming good for cosmetic-only cash shop.

According to the blog post, it's for cosmetics and that's it.

Still possibility for stuff like stash space, that's just pure guessing for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? Expansions are still expansions, this cash shop exists to fund development of the game via free updates delivered each season.

Pay-to-play season system? You don't need to buy the season pass, you can still enjoy all the free content and earn the free rewards from it.

This isn't at all what D:I is outside of the use of a season pass, which is a very general concept with a ton of different implementations across games. There's no indication that D4 monetization will be anything like D:I monetization outside of selling cosmetics and a season pass.

If POE or others can release expansions just based on their micro-transactions, then Blizz can to. Do you just want to send them extra money or something?