Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    yeah well my point was dont listen to no one in here about the game. as some in this very thread will double down on anything that is shit. believe i already said that. play the game yourself. beta/demo when available. make decision yourself for what you want to play.
    dont listen to people on a forum talking about a blog posted by devs? lmao that makes no sense. no one in this thread was saying go buy this game it will be the next big thing. everyone was talking about the update post. you know, discussing things on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    dont listen to people on a forum talking about a blog posted by devs? lmao that makes no sense. no one in this thread was saying go buy this game it will be the next big thing. everyone was talking about the update post. you know, discussing things on a forum.
    there are post in this thread of people arguing about what is in the game or isnt. you act like this thread is strictly on your topic you want to discuss. i never once said it wouldnt be the next big thing. of course it will. not everyone in here is talking about the update. not everyone in here is just discussing the blog posted by devs. are you completely ignoring many of these post? what reality are you in? the page before this one did the D4 devs discuss how shit POE graphics were to their D4? no but hey its was discussed in the thread. on the previous page.
    Last edited by craigw; 2022-08-19 at 02:52 AM.

yeah well my point was dont listen to no one in here about the game. as some in this very thread will double down on anything that is shit. believe i already said that. play the game yourself. beta/demo when available. make decision yourself for what you want to play.

- - - Updated - - -

"and it sucking has nothing to do with" i guess you didn't censor nothing. just not smart enough to type it correctly. my bad. "lmfao"
    Or... and this is a stretch... but go with me...

He "MEANT" to say "it sucking has nothing to do with d4 monetization", which makes perfect contextual sense, rather than "it fucking has nothing to do with d4 monetization", which was what you implied that he said.

Ie: New World sucking has nothing to do with monetization in D4.

English is hard, don't worry. You'll get it eventually.

there are post in this thread of people arguing about what is in the game or isnt. you act like this thread is strictly on your topic you want to discuss. i never once said it wouldnt be the next big thing. of course it will. not everyone in here is talking about the update. not everyone in here is just discussing the blog posted by devs. are you completely ignoring many of these post? what reality are you in? the page before this one did the D4 devs discuss how shit POE graphics were to their D4? no but hey its was discussed in the thread. on the previous page.
    why were we discussing poe graphics vs d3/d4? because the conversation was about monetization and why the 2 companies are taking similar but slightly different paths. you gotta try and read before making bad points my dude. all of this stemming from???? OHH that update post. weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Or... and this is a stretch... but go with me...

He "MEANT" to say "it sucking has nothing to do with d4 monetization", which makes perfect contextual sense, rather than "it fucking has nothing to do with d4 monetization", which was what you implied that he said.

Ie: New World sucking has nothing to do with monetization in D4.

English is hard, don't worry. You'll get it eventually.
    lol qoute his whole post.... which doesnt make perfect contextual sense.
    Last edited by craigw; 2022-08-19 at 03:02 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I get what people are saying, but PoE is also of significant lower technical quality than a Blizzard product. Animations, visuals, etc. aren't really that great in PoE. The extra cost buys a lot of polish.

To some people that matters more, to others it matters less.

If d4 has even close to the amount of seasonal content in terms of frequency and volume, even with a cash shop, even with a seasonal pass and even with a 60 dollar price tag, I will STILL be very impressed.

Also people talking about the price like it's actually justified based on the quality are hilarious. Customer value isn't on their mind. They have analysts who's job is to determine the minimum amount of content they can give you while retaining the maximum amount of subscribers. That's all they care about. That's the game of a season pass.

lol qoute his whole post.... which doesnt make perfect contextual sense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    new world must have really hurt you somewhere deep down lol

also it has nothing to do with d4. not the same type of game. not the same devs. and it sucking has nothing to do with d4 monetization lmfao

Yep. Still perfect contextual sense. Even moreso.

Here is the contextual inference of the post:

"New World must have really hurt you somewhere deep down lol"
    "also it (new world) has nothing to do with D4. (New World is) not the same type of game. (New World does) not (have) the same devs. and it (New World) sucking has nothing to do with d4 monetization lmfao. "

Sorry bud. The problem is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastiel View Post
    They have analysts who's job is to determine the minimum amount of content they can give you while retaining the maximum amount of subscribers. That's all they care about.
    No one is suggesting Blizzard's motive isn't profit. Just that things like technical polish, artistic quality, and visual fidelity are an important part for them in that equation. Whereas PoE knows they can't deliver that kind of quality, and so structure their equation differently.

They're all companies who want to make money, but they're making video games not self-sealing stem bolts. There's at least SOME concern for how things look, even if it's just to attract more customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    D3 didn't die, it keeps bringing people back each season. And let's not suddenly pretend it was lack of revenue (D3 sold amazingly) and not design choices that created issues like having to endlessly farm Act 3 in vanilla game. This "games need ongoing revenue" is an unfortunate norm that people accepted and corpos love to repeat.
    Games have significant running costs even with no content additions (server costs, maintenance, administrative) so they do need revenue yes. I don't understand why this is a controversial opinion. Yes once upon a time most games did not have long term revenue streams beyond box sales. They also did not have any of the above costs.

Being fairly cynical, they never said you can't speed up getting power with money.

Afaik the season pass can be fast tracked with money at least, so who knows if there will be something else that could be as well.

Of course it will have it. Did someone honestly think it wouldnt have? its been about a decade ago that Blizzard tried a model of it in D3. So sure, they will do it again now. Do as most people should; If the game is good, play the story and have fun with it. Never drop a dime on anything else. When its over, its over.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Games have significant running costs even with no content additions (server costs, maintenance, administrative) so they do need revenue yes. I don't understand why this is a controversial opinion. Yes once upon a time most games did not have long term revenue streams beyond box sales. They also did not have any of the above costs.
    The way they used to do it was that they used a portion of the box price go to the upkeep of servers. Intependent studios still tend to do it. Nowdays once you get the box price out of the customer there is no reason to continue support unless they give more money.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The way they used to do it was that they used a portion of the box price go to the upkeep of servers. Intependent studios still tend to do it. Nowdays once you get the box price out of the customer there is no reason to continue support unless they give more money.
    Servers costs also used to be far lower though.
    It's also about fair cost accounting. Costs can fluctuate well beyond original predictions and budgeting. E.g. the current energy crisis is blowing budgets when it comes to server upkeep. Prudency requires that your business model can account for that. A single payment model simply cannot.

15+ Year Old Account
    They will start of slow with cosmetic only etc and when people are hooked up/invested alot in/or cosmetics they will introduce the possiblity to buy power.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I genuinely don't know of any small studios that predominately run their own game servers. Most provide users with the ability to run their own servers and then let the community deal with it, with a small amount of "official" servers with limited slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    They will start of slow with cosmetic only etc and when people are hooked up/invested alot in/or cosmetics they will introduce the possiblity to buy power.
    there is no point in dealing in bad faith when there is no precedent for "they started with cosmetics, but allowed you to buy power later".

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    there is no point in dealing in bad faith when there is no precedent for "they started with cosmetics, but allowed you to buy power later".
    If anything the precedent is the opposite.

Overall it sounds good...

The Season Pass awards free Season Boosts. Boosts accelerate players’ progress for the duration of the Season. For example, a Season Boost might accelerate XP earned to make leveling multiple characters within a season faster. Because they affect gameplay, Season Boosts are free rewards for all players. We want to be clear that players can’t unlock Season Boosts more quickly through purchases--there is no way to unlock more boosts, or boosts at a faster pace, by spending money.

Players can purchase Tiers-but they won’t speed up getting Season Boosts. Players can’t upgrade Season Boosts just by purchasing Tiers, because they’ll also have to earn level milestones to apply them. All other Tier rewards can be unlocked instantly by purchasing Tiers. In other words, there’s no way to shortcut getting Season Boosts by buying Tiers; they must be earned.

Not particularly fond of this though. Still, you can't buy it and it's for everyone, but the idea that you have boosts to lvl quicker tells me that the lvling experience will be a slog to get to max lvl and then you can start using your character. Which is an issue in lots of lvling games, including wow.
    D2 did it quite well tbh where 99 is max, but very few will reach it and you are usually at good powerlvl around 75-80 all of which occurs naturally by just doing what you would do anyway. The drops you got wasn't tied to your lvl either, it was about the monsters lvls and ofc they had lvl requirements.

Since we now have paragons I think it will be just like D3 which is anything before lvl 70 is straight up useless and all progress is thrown out when you reach max.
    Maybe itemization will be more like d2 where early items can be good for a really long time so you still have sense of excitement in you can find something good at any time.

Lvling needs to go back to where it's something you get from playing the game and is part of the character development and not just a line to cross before you can get any progression that sticks.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-08-19 at 10:12 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I think they made clear their intent that the leveling boost in the season pass is more about alts; you complete the target milestones with your first character but if you want to level an alt on the season pass you can do it much faster since they get a boost through the leveling process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Overall it sounds good...

The Season Pass awards free Season Boosts. Boosts accelerate players’ progress for the duration of the Season. For example, a Season Boost might accelerate XP earned to make leveling multiple characters within a season faster. Because they affect gameplay, Season Boosts are free rewards for all players. We want to be clear that players can’t unlock Season Boosts more quickly through purchases--there is no way to unlock more boosts, or boosts at a faster pace, by spending money.

Players can purchase Tiers-but they won’t speed up getting Season Boosts. Players can’t upgrade Season Boosts just by purchasing Tiers, because they’ll also have to earn level milestones to apply them. All other Tier rewards can be unlocked instantly by purchasing Tiers. In other words, there’s no way to shortcut getting Season Boosts by buying Tiers; they must be earned.

Not particularly fond of this though. Still, you can't buy it and it's for everyone, but the idea that you have boosts to lvl quicker tells me that the lvling experience will be a slog to get to max lvl and then you can start using your character. Which is an issue in lots of lvling games, including wow.
    D2 did it quite well tbh where 99 is max, but very few will reach it and you are usually at good powerlvl around 75-80 all of which occurs naturally by just doing what you would do anyway. The drops you got wasn't tied to your lvl either, it was about the monsters lvls and ofc they had lvl requirements.

Since we now have paragons I think it will be just like D3 which is anything before lvl 70 is straight up useless and all progress is thrown out when you reach max.
    Maybe itemization will be more like d2 where early items can be good for a really long time so you still have sense of excitement in you can find something good at any time.
    That season pass XP booster sounds absolutely incredible. The worst part of starting a new character was how slow the levelling was, so unlocking xp boosts designed for alt levelling is exactly the kind of good addition I was hoping for in D4. The idea that I can play through the campaign with my friends, level up to max level, and then quickly max out extra characters of different classes is awesome.

It sounds like the XP boosts are designed for other characters, not your main character, so I wouldn't expect them to make the levelling particularly onorous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !