5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.

What World of Warcraft memes if any got you to start playing the game?

Everyone's familiar with Leeroy Jenkins and the South Park episode Make Love not Warcraft, both of which happened to serve to get me into the game. However, this thread is dedicated to asking what WoW memes got *YOU* to play the game?

Do penny arcade comics count as a meme?

I got into WoW through the art. I saw WoW expansions at the store and notice how unusual the boxes were. I picked them up, felt the textures on them, opened up the cover, awed at Wei Wang's art and the dioramas inside. At the time my MMO was Space Cowboy Online/ACE Online, so I didn't start another MMO, so I didn't buy the game then.

I saw a Burning Crusade strategy guide at the store and flipped through it, and saw a lot of Samwise Didier's and Peter Lee's great art. Reading the captions of the places and the villains got my imagination going. It was pretty cheap so I bought the strategy guide to read at home.

There were Penny Arcade comics inside.

Then I got the WoW Atlas. After I finished reading Dragonlance, I began reading the Warcraft paperback novels like Lord of the Clans, the WotA trilogy, Day of the Dragon, Beyond the Dark Portal, etc. After ACE started going downhill because of the implementation of a literal P2W slotmachine, I began becoming interested in switching to WoW. I was enamored with the great art on the WoW website. I wanted to make a Draenei paladin (because he looked so cool on the website), but ingame Tauren looked cooler so I went with that.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-06-11 at 04:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Everyone's familiar with Leeroy Jenkins and the South Park episode Make Love not Warcraft, both of which happened to serve to get me into the game. However, this thread is dedicated to asking what WoW memes got *YOU* to play the game?
    No memes got me into the game.

I loved Warcraft, I knew of WoW being in the testing, and I signed up for a competition in a computer magazine and won 2nd place prize (Beta access + voucher for the full game + a magazine t-shirt).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

played WCII in past. 2005 heard from friends (knee deep in D2 at that time) how WoW is „the next big thing“. ordered in May 2005. wow effect. never stopped playing since then. yes, i have that anniversary Orc statue, cause i was never unsubbed since 2005. but not sure if this or next year my wow career finally ends, when looking at the game‘s state.

in short: when i started playing wow, there were no „memes“.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-06-11 at 12:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    in short: when i started playing wow, there were no „memes“.
    In short, we old, mate.

I started in 2004.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    In short, we old, mate.

I started in 2004.
    pssst. don’t tell me! i can’t hear you! LAAAAALALALALALAAAAAAAAA

Started playing WoW before I even knew that memes were a thing, so none I guess. And memes certainly hasn't kept me playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Not really a meme but "sub numbers" were a thing of proud at the time and a big reason to join the hype train that was wow TBC and Wrath

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Do penny arcade comics count as a meme?

I got into WoW through the art. I saw WoW expansions at the store and notice how unusual the boxes were. I picked them up, felt the textures on them, opened up the cover, awed at Wei Wang's art and the dioramas inside. At the time my MMO was Space Cowboy Online/ACE Online, so I didn't start another MMO, so I didn't buy the game then.

I saw a Burning Crusade strategy guide at the store and flipped through it, and saw a lot of Samwise Didier's and Peter Lee's great art. Reading the captions of the places and the villains got my imagination going. It was pretty cheap so I bought the strategy guide to read at home.

There were Penny Arcade comics inside.

Then I got the WoW Atlas. After I finished reading Dragonlance, I began reading the Warcraft paperback novels like Lord of the Clans, the WotA trilogy, Day of the Dragon, Beyond the Dark Portal, etc. After ACE started going downhill because of the implementation of a literal P2W slotmachine, I began becoming interested in switching to WoW. I was enamored with the great art on the WoW website. I wanted to make a Draenei paladin (because he looked so cool on the website), but ingame Tauren looked cooler so I went with that.
    The PRIMA vanilla second edition comic about naming schemes still is my favorite. Air Conditioner and Chair, lol

Not such much memes for me. It was mainly Warcraft 3 and the combined concept arts of Samwise Didier and Chris Metzen.

I started playing when I saw my friend had it installed on his home PC back in 2004ish.

I loved the game as I was a huge warcraft 3 fan. Never had a PC that could run it and kinda forgot about it until the south park episode. Then I tried to install it on my PC and behold the new comp we got in 06 was able to run the game. The rest is history.

When I was 3 or 4 my grandfather bought a home computer corresponding with the release of Windows 3.1 and insisted on teaching me how to use it. I grew up playing Apogee games on DOS. When I was 8 or 9 I discovered the RTS genre through Warcraft Orcs vs. Humans and Command & Conquer. It quickly became my favorite genre, and remains so to this day. I played Warcraft 2 and 3 near their release. I sometimes wonder what my /played on WC3 is, and suspect it may still rival that of my WoW played time, I was obsessed with custom maps, tower defenses, the original DOTA, Footman Wars, etc. I first played WoW on Vanilla Beta. I've tried other MMOs over the years and always fallen off after a few weeks. The history I had with the cast and characters of the Warcraft franchise is what did it for me.

Wasn't any meme that led me to start playing the game.

It was a huge Blizzard project following other amazing Warcraft and Diablo games.

Silly question i'd say.

3+ Year Old Account
    there wasn't a meme, Warcraft 3 was my childhood

anyway, here's a meme:

Labour Rights 勞工權利 Right for sufficient pay 最低薪資權益 The Stonemason's Guild persecution 石匠公會訴訟 Stormwind's neglect to peasantry and laborers 暴風城漠視農民與工人 Betrayal and treachery to the Mercenaries 對傭兵們的背叛與欺詐 Othmar Garithos 歐*馬.蓋瑞索* Blood Elf suicide rush to the Scourge 血精靈對天譴軍做自殺快攻 Blood Elf genocide attempt 血精靈行種族滅絕之意圖 Neglect and abandonment of Quel'thalas 奎爾薩拉*的荒廢與頹傾 Neglect and desolation of Alterac 奧*蘭*的荒廢與頹傾 The Tyr's Hand Square protests of the Second War 提爾之手廣場發生對第二次*戰的抗議 The Tyr's Hand Square peasant massacre 提爾之手廣場農民*屠殺 The Furbolg extermination 熊人滅種 The Stonespire genocide 石塔種族滅絕 Kul Tiran unprovoked invasion and massacre of the orcs 庫爾提拉*對獸人行侵略與*屠殺 Mathias Shaw is a war criminal 馬帝亞*.蕭是個戰犯 Goblin ship massacre at Kezan 卡贊發生哥布林飛船殺人事件 Taurajo massacre 陶拉祖*屠殺 Daelin Proudmoore 戴林.普勞德摩爾 Frostmane genocide 霜鬃*屠殺 Aedelas Blackmoore 艾德拉*.布萊*摩爾 Goblin civilian massacre at Silithus 希利蘇*發生屠殺哥布林村民事件 Zandalari civilian and ambassador massacre at Zul'dazar 祖爾達札發生屠殺贊達拉村民與**事件 Void Elf desecration of sacred Zandalari dinosaurs 虛空精靈褻瀆贊達拉恐龍 Void Elf war crimes 虛空精靈戰爭罪行 Turalyon and Alleria tortures civilians 圖拉揚與愛勒瑞*虐待村民 The Purge of Dalaran 達拉朗的淨化 Dalaran and Eastweald neutrality
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really into memes. Never have been. Plus, I'm not sure if memes even were that big in 2003-2004.

I started playing WoW because I like the Warcraft series, and the game seemed awesome as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    there wasn't a meme, Warcraft 3 was my childhood

anyway, here's a meme:

Labour Rights 勞工權利 Right for sufficient pay 最低薪資權益 The Stonemason's Guild persecution 石匠公會訴訟 Stormwind's neglect to peasantry and laborers 暴風城漠視農民與工人 Betrayal and treachery to the Mercenaries 對傭兵們的背叛與欺詐 Othmar Garithos 歐*馬.蓋瑞索* Blood Elf suicide rush to the Scourge 血精靈對天譴軍做自殺快攻 Blood Elf genocide attempt 血精靈行種族滅絕之意圖 Neglect and abandonment of Quel'thalas 奎爾薩拉*的荒廢與頹傾 Neglect and desolation of Alterac 奧*蘭*的荒廢與頹傾 The Tyr's Hand Square protests of the Second War 提爾之手廣場發生對第二次*戰的抗議 The Tyr's Hand Square peasant massacre 提爾之手廣場農民*屠殺 The Furbolg extermination 熊人滅種 The Stonespire genocide 石塔種族滅絕 Kul Tiran unprovoked invasion and massacre of the orcs 庫爾提拉*對獸人行侵略與*屠殺 Mathias Shaw is a war criminal 馬帝亞*.蕭是個戰犯 Goblin ship massacre at Kezan 卡贊發生哥布林飛船殺人事件 Taurajo massacre 陶拉祖*屠殺 Daelin Proudmoore 戴林.普勞德摩爾 Frostmane genocide 霜鬃*屠殺 Aedelas Blackmoore 艾德拉*.布萊*摩爾 Goblin civilian massacre at Silithus 希利蘇*發生屠殺哥布林村民事件 Zandalari civilian and ambassador massacre at Zul'dazar 祖爾達札發生屠殺贊達拉村民與**事件 Void Elf desecration of sacred Zandalari dinosaurs 虛空精靈褻瀆贊達拉恐龍 Void Elf war crimes 虛空精靈戰爭罪行 Turalyon and Alleria tortures civilians 圖拉揚與愛勒瑞*虐待村民 The Purge of Dalaran 達拉朗的淨化 Dalaran and Eastweald neutrality
    This is exceptionally spicy. I'm stealing this

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    This is exceptionally spicy. I'm stealing this
    feel free to post it on r/wow as I'm permanently banned there
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi