External blu ray player suggestions ?

So due to the design flaws of most modern cases I find myself in need of an external "Slot loading" blu-ray player as it will be mounted on the side of the case. I also need it to be black. (dunno if it needs to be usb 3.0 but I would assume 2.0 would be unable to transfer data quick enough)

Dont care about writing any sort of data I just need it because my setup is for full home entertainment purposes and i've got an extensive blu-ray/dvd collection.

Figured someone here might be able to point me toward a good one since I've no experience on the matter, never needing external devices in the past and most of the cheaper drives on amazon that fit my needs appear to be listed as specific to certain brands/models of laptop which might only be due to the sellers not being knowledgeable on the matter as I would assume Usb devices would be both universal plug&play as the name implies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have nothing to contribute in terms of what hardware to buy, I figure anything with 16x speed and USB 3.0 (yes speed matters, you're right) and that should be it. ~80 - 140 bucks out the door.

Keep in mind that you still need software to be able to play Blurays (thank Sony) so you'll also have to get Cyberlink or some other software to decrypt and play.

If I had a collection like yours, id RIP my own purchased movies > put them on a NAS drive > Plex Server > enable DLNA > poof. But thats just me.

Anyways good luck.

Mm, you cant just pop a Blu-Ray into a Windows machine and play it, just so youre aware. You have to use 3rd party software and its not freeware. Youd be better off ripping your Blu-Rays and storing them on the machine. THAT you can do with freeware.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    So due to the design flaws of most modern cases I find myself in need of an external "Slot loading" blu-ray player as it will be mounted on the side of the case. I also need it to be black. (dunno if it needs to be usb 3.0 but I would assume 2.0 would be unable to transfer data quick enough)

Dont care about writing any sort of data I just need it because my setup is for full home entertainment purposes and i've got an extensive blu-ray/dvd collection.

Figured someone here might be able to point me toward a good one since I've no experience on the matter, never needing external devices in the past and most of the cheaper drives on amazon that fit my needs appear to be listed as specific to certain brands/models of laptop which might only be due to the sellers not being knowledgeable on the matter as I would assume Usb devices would be both universal plug&play as the name implies.
    You should be able to use any internal drive with an adapter wire like this https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Drive-Ad.../dp/B07PVX682Q, although using such a thing may be quite shaky.

There are external closures you can use with any internal drive. https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-53.../dp/B01MRUN0HQ

The above two are for if you already have an internal drive you're happy with. Otherwise this is a complete external drive https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Inte.../dp/B071VP89X1
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2022-06-12 at 04:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    I have nothing to contribute in terms of what hardware to buy, I figure anything with 16x speed and USB 3.0 (yes speed matters, you're right) and that should be it. ~80 - 140 bucks out the door.

Keep in mind that you still need software to be able to play Blurays (thank Sony) so you'll also have to get Cyberlink or some other software to decrypt and play.

If I had a collection like yours, id RIP my own purchased movies > put them on a NAS drive > Plex Server > enable DLNA > poof. But thats just me.

Anyways good luck.
    Question or possible observation: Isn't it better to use Jellyfin instead of Plex? I always thought Plex required an internet connection to access your media even if it's on your local network. I changed from Plex to Jellyfin for this reason, but I'm not sure if Plex have changed this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Question or possible observation: Isn't it better to use Jellyfin instead of Plex? I always thought Plex required an internet connection to access your media even if it's on your local network. I changed from Plex to Jellyfin for this reason, but I'm not sure if Plex have changed this.
    Yea you set up plex to be void of needing internet, but I like watching my stuff whenever I can and I love to have it on tap. So thats why I went with Plex.

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how...ternet-access/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Yea you set up plex to be void of needing internet, but I like watching my stuff whenever I can and I love to have it on tap. So thats why I went with Plex.

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how...ternet-access/
    Ah, neat! I might considering returning to Plex although I use an Apple TV 4k and apparently their app on it isn't that good compared to the Infuse app I use to connect to Jellyfin. I also never bothered with the Plex Pass, but that might be a good thing as I don't want to transcode.