Thread: [TV] Barry

10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Barry

Didn't see a thread about this and season 3 is 2 episodes in now. Its fucking brilliant. Barry was deluded before but this season he's off the wall.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

We used to have a Barry thread, but the forums recently went on a purge of old stuff, which tends to be more widely noticed in Cinema when a thread that is inactive because the show is between seasons gets pruned because of its age.

Anyways, I feel like doing a s1-s2 rewatch before jumping back into Barry, that's how long ago the last season felt. It must have been pre-COVID at least, right?

This the Gavin and Stacey spin off? Excellent

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    We used to have a Barry thread, but the forums recently went on a purge of old stuff, which tends to be more widely noticed in Cinema when a thread that is inactive because the show is between seasons gets pruned because of its age.

Anyways, I feel like doing a s1-s2 rewatch before jumping back into Barry, that's how long ago the last season felt. It must have been pre-COVID at least, right?
    Yup! S2 was pre-covid; this is one of the last shows I'm aware of that took this long to get to a 'post covid' return to shooting.

We're definitely at least going to watch a youtube 'summary' video before jumping back in.

And yes - this show is AWESOME! Way better than hubby and I were expecting when we started it. If you like Dark Comedy then you NEED to check this show out.
    Excellent writing, great characters - just nothing bad to say about this show at all.

Can't wait for some more NoHo Hank! FAVORITE character. Just cracks me up! Such a great actor.

"Do I not tell you that enough? No Barry...you're like the most evil guy I know."

Best of NoHo Hank -
    https://youtu.be/qUliAN4NYHU
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yup! S2 was pre-covid; this is one of the last shows I'm aware of that took this long to get to a 'post covid' return to shooting.

We're definitely at least going to watch a youtube 'summary' video before jumping back in.

And yes - this show is AWESOME! Way better than hubby and I were expecting when we started it. If you like Dark Comedy then you NEED to check this show out.
    Excellent writing, great characters - just nothing bad to say about this show at all.

Can't wait for some more NoHo Hank! FAVORITE character. Just cracks me up! Such a great actor.

"Do I not tell you that enough? No Barry...you're like the most evil guy I know."

Best of NoHo Hank -
    https://youtu.be/qUliAN4NYHU
    I like when Barry shoots Hanks henchman and they have a really good back and forth.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    I like when Barry shoots Hanks henchman and they have a really good back and forth.
    I believe that bit was in the video I linked (If you mean on the roof - when he shoots Hanks henchman in the shoulder and he's 'whining' about it). One of my favorite scenes is Barry 'training' Hanks Henchmen and they all become 'best friends' and have to throw a party/dance around him on the last day. (Some of that also in the compilation video.)

It just works - no matter how 'ridiculous' the plot gets (at least the first two seasons anyway, can't speak to third yet heh) it still 'makes sense' within the characters and the 'logic' of this universe. At least IMO. And more funny than you'd really think such a show would be (esp. as there's still shooting and dying going on!)
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to post -

Watched First episode (only) of the new season last night - writers haven't lost a thing. NoHo Hank had me laughing within the first three sentences he uttered on screen. And the (very) darker bits of the episode - stayed dark. Just love the way this show addresses mental health issues (and portrays them well) even though the plot/events are outlandish.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    NoHo Hank is fucking phenomenal, and Anthony Carrigan kicks ass.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    NoHo Hank is definitely a breakout character, and I'm a huge fan of Stephen Root. Bill Hader's performance is pretty top notch, too; yet another comedian delivering gold in a dramatic role.

Season 3 has been really fucking bleak so far. Still lots of legit laugh-out-loud moments, but when it dips into the dark material it's getting downright horrifying. It's almost like the huge dichotomy between the surreal hyper-comedy, the pitch black gallows humor, and the gut-wrenching drama makes everything hit that much harder.

Also haven't seen many people point it out, but this manic, dissociated state Barry is in is really similar to how he was acting in S1E1, before he started the acting class. Makes it seem like this might be more normal for him than he initially lets on, or maybe Fuches just knew how to reign it in by keeping him occupied with jobs.

One thing I like about Barry is it shows the importance of taking a big bite out of life.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    That whole scene with the martial artist and his daughter and the chase - my gosh - not sure I've ever seen a scene more bizarre, off the wall, ('stupidity' on the surface of it) scene that shouldn't work because it almost plays out like an SNL-skit - but works so perfectly and amazingly that it doesn't matter how crazy it is; it works. And therefore - becomes brilliant. Talk about 'transcending the medium'.

Because straight up - its ridiculous, start to finish. BUT SOMEHOW ITS NOT!

Man, I hope this isn't the only show these guys do. That would be a loss.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I rarely to never post something like this - but since we JUST posted about this EXACT scene/episode I wanted to share with those who are interested. "The Best Episode of HBO's Barry." (the one with the ninja father/girl =D) It also talks about why the show works in general, as a whole, and not /just/ this episode. But it is an awesome episode!

Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been wanting to choke the life out of Sally for a while now. Other than that, I've been really enjoying the absurdity of the humor and violence.

edit: Thought I was going to get my wish, but then things went tits up.
    Last edited by Ayirasi; 2022-06-13 at 04:31 AM.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

So following the season finale I thought it was it and thought it would be a decent ending as most characters in this episode have definitive endpoints but found out Season 4 is already greenlit, at which point I'm scratching my head where it could possibly go from here.
    Last edited by AidanJLowe; 2022-06-14 at 06:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, the season 3 finale really was really visceral. Don't think a show has ever put my gut in knots like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanJLowe View Post
    I'm scratching my head where it could possibly go from here.
    Barry and "the Raven" are locked up together now, so there's that.

Technically Barry only broke and entered, and even that was entrapment was it not? Even if not the latter, he won't be in prison long. All the other proof they have has been attributed to Faux, and it's pretty damning evidence (his tooth, for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Albert might pull strings for a Barry release.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi