Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is a totally incorrect notion in all drama ever produced by mankind.
    Bull manure. NOT. EVERY. DAMN. WEEK. For God's sahe you'll turn it into a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    All drama is about stakes. Drama exists because of stakes.

No stakes, no drama. No drama, no story.

There's a difference between "we need actual stakes" and "we need EARTH-SHATTERING REALITY-THREATENING stakes".

You can still have significant stakes without it being a Thanos-level threat.

I'm reminded of an old Buffy episode; The Body. An episode dealing with grief. "It is simply one of the finest pieces of television drama, and the single finest depiction of bereavement in any medium, that I have ever seen."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm reminded of an old Buffy episode; The Body. An episode dealing with grief. "It is simply one of the finest pieces of television drama, and the single finest depiction of bereavement in any medium, that I have ever seen."
    oh that episode is just haunting. it came out of nowhere, like yeah she was sick but it was unexpected. then the seventh season episode where she reappears brings it all up again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    All drama is about stakes. Drama exists because of stakes.

No stakes, no drama. No drama, no story.
    It wasn't about whether there should be any stakes, but whether every story needed high stakes, in this context, world-shattering stakes.

Consider some of the world's greatest novels;

Don Quixote, where a central plot theme is that Quixote keeps imagining such stakes, but they do not, in fact, exist; the whole tilting at windmills believing them to be giants thing.

Moby Dick, where the central stakes are about one ship captain and a whale he bears a grudge against. It's metaphorically significant, but the actual stakes are just that.

Pride and Prejudice, where the stakes are about finding marriages for a family of girls that will both save their family financially and, hopefully, not be a burden on those girls emotionally.

A superhero story where the "stakes" were "can Peter get into college and make a successful career out of being a university student and doing some superhero stuff on the side without failing at either" would be a perfectly functional story, even if the superhero shenanigans literally all occurred completely off-screen and the story focused primarily on adapting to college life. There's still stakes there, still conflict, it's just internal conflict, rather than external. It's not that different from a story about a kid from a poor community going to school on a sports scholarship and trying to balance the training demands with their real interest; their education. The core of the story, the conflict, is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It wasn't about whether there should be any stakes, but whether every story needed high stakes, in this context, world-shattering stakes.
    I know, and intentionally quoted just the part I thought was incorrect. Fundamentally, stakes are necessary for all drama. Whether they are external (environmental, antagonistic, etc) or internal. I don't think the notion narrative should not have high stakes in any regard is valid. It's faulty actually.

Even if those stakes are relatively small, to the audience, they are not to the character(s). It matters a lot what is at stake as Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy progress through the story. Just as much so as a Victorian Thanos having landed his ship in the garden of a Georgian Era estate.

There is commonly something that for the characters involved in the narrative is of tremendous importance- Licorice Pizza, Absalom Absalom, or (sincerely) Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. That community center is vital, life and death, to the characters in Breakin' 2. Scale and [high] stakes, external or internal, are not necessarily linked.

The 'threat of high stakes' is present in almost all drama.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    The threat of high stakes should be rare and come with phase end. In the meantime good stories like this one
    are great even if the are missing the earth shattering kabooms. YMMV.
    Noone talked about high stakes, nor earth shattering kabooms. I wrote about hard choices.

She's a kiddo and it's not so interesting to see kids trying to make adults or other (evil) kids to become friends. I would have preferred if she actually hurt Kamran to stop him from hurting her beloved ones. CHOICES.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    There's a difference between "we need actual stakes" and "we need EARTH-SHATTERING REALITY-THREATENING stakes".

You can still have significant stakes without it being a Thanos-level threat.
    Exactly. Even a "who to save now from his death fall" is a stake. We had none of that cause they approached it as a kiddie story.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Noone talked about high stakes, nor earth shattering kabooms. I wrote about hard choices.

She's a kiddo and it's not so interesting to see kids trying to make adults or other (evil) kids to become friends. I would have preferred if she actually hurt Kamran to stop him from hurting her beloved ones. CHOICES.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Fair enough.

Exactly. Even a "who to save now from his death fall" is a stake. We had none of that cause they approached it as a kiddie story.
    I would characterize the 6 episode run of Ms. M more as a character development and origin story where serious stakes were not appopriate in the time available. Add 3 eps and something more would have been very doable.

One other thing; at this point I don't see her abilities other than embiggen mode as effective for offensive needs and that was obviously close range only and not over-whelming. She was using what she had for improved movement and defense mostly. They may be saving that other sort of arc for later* after she either gets an upgrade or develops something better out of her current powers.

*a movie or a S2.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2022-07-21 at 10:02 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

But Kamran wasn't evil? And me as a kid would also have tried to make friends "with adults or the other (older) kid". And not hurting Kamran to protect her loved ones was her choice.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

- - - Updated - - -

A bit to dark for a show that was overal a slice of life story.
    Main characters love intrest getting hurt...if needed you can do this with a sequel (either a movie or season 2) but not sooner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moby Dick doesn't have high stakes??
    It's a story about whalers on a whaling ship pursuing a whale that kills whalers and destroys whaling ships, how could the stakes be any higher?
    /s

So you missed the part where another reality could've destroyed their own reality?
    Or the kid with powers going out of control because of an external stress?

It was a PG story where the genocide of billions was heavily implied.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    So you missed the part where another reality could've destroyed their own reality?
    Or the kid with powers going out of control because of an external stress?

It was a PG story where the genocide of billions was heavily implied.
    um did you not watch Infinity War? remember how that ended, with a genocide that killed trillions of not just people but every single living thing across the universe? so yeah, I think people can handle something that didn't happen if they've watched something that did actually happen and was a lot worse

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    um did you not watch Infinity War? remember how that ended, with a genocide that killed trillions of not just people but every single living thing across the universe? so yeah, I think people can handle something that didn't happen if they've watched something that did actually happen and was a lot worse
    In Infinity War, half of the human race died.
    In Ms Marvel, all of the human race could’ve died.

If you’re going to use Infinity War as a metric for “high stakes”, then anything will arguably come up short. However, from the perspective of people who are confined to one planet and are largely ignorant of the universe at large, everyone dying is pretty fucking big.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    In Infinity War, half of the human race died.
    In Ms Marvel, all of the human race could’ve died.

If you’re going to use Infinity War as a metric for “high stakes”, then anything will arguably come up short. However, from the perspective of people who are confined to one planet and are largely ignorant of the universe at large, everyone dying is pretty fucking big.
    yes except for one thing - they didn't die. they could've... but they didn't.

And they ultimately didn’t die from the blip either. They just skipped a few years.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    That isn't what determines stakes. They don't need to be lost.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

So there was DRAMA?!?!?!?!?!? Oh noes! Its assumed in Ms Marvel that the good guys win because this isn't the Anti-Matter Universe where the good guys always lose. What we're really doing here is enjoying the process. Like writing down their plan for victory on the chalk board.

Its not like Infinity War where it was explicitly stated that the good guys win half way through Infinity Gauntlet. Which fatally disrupted the drama for the rest of two movies. Yeah, some of the process in watching how it unfolds was entertaining but that's the difference between a 6/10 movie like Infinity War and a 9/10 movie like Avengers. We knew the good guys were going to win because its implied but it wasn't explicitly stated.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2022-07-21 at 10:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That just means the heroes won. That there's a happy ending, rather than the story being a tragedy. It has nothing to do with whether there were "stakes" or not.