Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The target audience is people who like super hero TV shows.
    Then they massively failed.

  2. #82
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Supergirl lost a lot of budget switching networks. I've watched the whole thing anyways. It was still mostly a superhero show but the hero without the cape is still a person. Persons have things like relationships and jobs and dinner. Most of them aren't malignant sociopaths like Batman. Supergirl's biggest problem was not enough musical episodes. And losing Calista Flockhart.

    Stargirl is co-financed by HBO Max. CW helps air the show but its superiour budget allows them to do more with it.
    yeah I get that but I think the person side got a lot more attention in later seasons than in previous seasons. which isn't a bad thing, I just think they went a bit too far. Stargirl is also a bit darker than your average CW superhero show, I guess that is HBO's influence on it a bit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Then they massively failed.
    it's still doing well. yeah the other shows did better but they had advantages that this show didn't.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I really tried to like that show. The star is great and her parents, but otherwise the rest of the cast is really bad. That combined with super generic and boring writing made me lose interest. I got through S1, but S2 was too much to slog through.
    S2 started pretty slow bit once it got moving it just never stopped.

    I just love how focused it is on being a superhero show, to the point that the teen drama stuff is kind of treated like an afterthought.

    It's like they are just doing the bare minimum to meet some kind of teen drama quota so they can focus on the superhero stuff.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    it's still doing well. yeah the other shows did better but they had advantages that this show didn't.
    No its not. Its under half of what all their others shows are doing and most of THEM aren't considered that impressive.


    And Moonknight was one of the top ones. No advantage because nobody knew who that was or had a name people recognized like MARVEL. Did over double what this show is doing.

  5. #85
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    No its not. Its under half of what all their others shows are doing and most of THEM aren't considered that impressive.


    And Moonknight was one of the top ones. No advantage because nobody knew who that was or had a name people recognized like MARVEL. Did over double what this show is doing.
    well WandaVision, Hawkeye, Falcon and Winter Soldier, What If, Loki all had characters we knew from the films. So of course they would do better than a show with a brand new actress at the helm. also you are right that Moon Knight was a brand new character however that had the Oscar Isaac factor - big name actor in the lead. that, and it's a different target audience.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Then they massively failed.
    I know you think your opinion is really important but you’ve yet to demonstrate how it “failed”. Is Disney losing money on this show for example?

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I know you think your opinion is really important but you’ve yet to demonstrate how it “failed”. Is Disney losing money on this show for example?
    That's the metric...money.

  8. #88
    Never knew a Pakistani named "kamala".

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I really tried to like that show. The star is great and her parents, but otherwise the rest of the cast is really bad. That combined with super generic and boring writing made me lose interest. I got through S1, but S2 was too much to slog through.
    That's how all the CW shows are imo.

  10. #90
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,217
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    well WandaVision, Hawkeye, Falcon and Winter Soldier, What If, Loki all had characters we knew from the films. So of course they would do better than a show with a brand new actress at the helm. also you are right that Moon Knight was a brand new character however that had the Oscar Isaac factor - big name actor in the lead. that, and it's a different target audience.
    People seem to also be glossing over the pretty basic concept that Marvel is trying to broaden its audience, and that broadening requires reaching out into new niches. Not all those niches will be as expansive as others. This is why most of the films trend to various film genre types while retaining the core MCU "feel", but the shows are allowed to be even more experimental, particularly as they're a lower investment. A certain take not fitting with some viewers doesn't really matter to Marvel, at all, if it brings new viewers into the Marvel sphere who, from there, might expand their interests into the broader properties. Not everything has to be a massive financial success; if it makes more for Disney than it cost them to make, it was a successful show. And even if it didn't, it might still be considered a success over the longer term, for what it brings to the MCU.

    My only concern with the show, really, was highlighted in the tower rescue in Ep 2. Kamala's obviously super cautious and not trusting her powers, and that's a totally new take and I'm hoping it's both intentional and something she overcomes by the season finale. It's an interesting perspective; with Spider-Man the abilities automatically include spider-strength and spider-agility, so Peter pretty much instantly becomes physically awesome. But Kamala's power set is seemingly will/intelligence-based, and it hasn't enhanced her in any other obvious ways, so she's a regular person under all that; she's not supernaturally agile or strong, and if she falls from a height she's gonna die, without power use to save herself. This is potentially great if the plan is to get her past that pretty quickly. The moments where she stopped worrying and just acted showed what she could be. But we had that scene. Start moving past that, now.

    Visually, though, it's fantastic. Probably the best visual take of any single MCU property. Though it's not as groundbreaking as some people might think; it's borrowing a lot of (really good!) ideas from Into the Spider-Verse and Mitchells vs. The Machines, but incorporating it into live-action and into background elements this seamlessly is pretty neat.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Never knew a Pakistani named "kamala".
    Seems like not an uncommon name; https://www.urdupoint.com/names/girl...rdu/93270.html
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-06-21 at 05:30 PM.


  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I know you think your opinion is really important but you’ve yet to demonstrate how it “failed”. Is Disney losing money on this show for example?
    All opinions are important. Some are just backed up by facts, and other are backed up by feelings. Ms Marvel has the lowest viewership of any Disney+ Marvel show (outside of What If..... which being animated and horrible wasn't a surprise).

    Read again..... LOWEST..... and that is ignoring that its lowest by over a 50% margin.

    That's failure. Nobody cares if you enjoy the smell of it.

  12. #92
    I think the point is that Kamala is an Indian Hindu name, and not really a Pakistani Muslim name. There is a lot of cross-culturization between the two countries, obviously, but I don't know many Pakistani Muslims with very traditional Hindu names.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Never knew a Pakistani named "kamala".
    Well she is from Jersey, so maybe her parents chose a name they liked that fit both for their place of origin and their new home. Seems a likely thing to do.


    Or maybe the woman who made the character and has pushed it relentlessly because its a self insert fantasy just really liked the name and so they went with it.

  14. #94
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    All opinions are important. Some are just backed up by facts, and other are backed up by feelings. Ms Marvel has the lowest viewership of any Disney+ Marvel show (outside of What If..... which being animated and horrible wasn't a surprise).

    Read again..... LOWEST..... and that is ignoring that its lowest by over a 50% margin.

    That's failure. Nobody cares if you enjoy the smell of it.
    Viewer count doesn’t necessarily dictate whether something is quality or not. Twilight saga is a good example of something with high views but it’s fucking garbage. As for comparing it to the others I’ve given you reasons why this isn’t doing as well but you’ve ignored them.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Viewer count doesn’t necessarily dictate whether something is quality or not. Twilight saga is a good example of something with high views but it’s fucking garbage. As for comparing it to the others I’ve given you reasons why this isn’t doing as well but you’ve ignored them.
    I agree on viewer count not making something quality. Twilight wasn't quality, but it was a SUCCESS (see also Fifty Shades books).

    Another reason it isn't doing well is that Disney A) kicked it out during the middle of Kenobi and B) barely said anything about it. There are good reasons for this that relate to politics, the heads of Disney and Sana Amanat, but whatever, they tried to push it out to get rid of it.


    But again, its a shit story made of a horrible character that can't be saved by a likeable actress. May she get better parts in the future and may shit shows like this stop getting made.

  16. #96
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I agree on viewer count not making something quality. Twilight wasn't quality, but it was a SUCCESS (see also Fifty Shades books).

    Another reason it isn't doing well is that Disney A) kicked it out during the middle of Kenobi and B) barely said anything about it. There are good reasons for this that relate to politics, the heads of Disney and Sana Amanat, but whatever, they tried to push it out to get rid of it.


    But again, its a shit story made of a horrible character that can't be saved by a likeable actress. May she get better parts in the future and may shit shows like this stop getting made.
    I disagree that it’s a shit story, at least right now. We are only a third of the way through, too early to tell

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    All opinions are important. Some are just backed up by facts, and other are backed up by feelings. Ms Marvel has the lowest viewership of any Disney+ Marvel show (outside of What If..... which being animated and horrible wasn't a surprise).

    Read again..... LOWEST..... and that is ignoring that its lowest by over a 50% margin.

    That's failure. Nobody cares if you enjoy the smell of it.
    No one’s opinion is important. Furthermore, you haven’t stated facts. Just your feelings.

    The allegedly underperforming What If has already made its presence felt in the movies. Well worth the investment Disney put into it.

    The experimental Ms Marvel is well reviewed by critics and fans. As mentioned before it’s a new screen character, it’s the first PG rated marvel property and the first property to have to compete with a gorilla (ie Disney released it same day as another big TV property which of course is a dumb fucking idea).

    The full viewership totals aren’t in and whether or not the investment was worth it. That’s something that can’t be adequately discussed for probably another year.

  18. #98
    Any chance of a 3rd season?

  19. #99
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    But again, its a shit story made of a horrible character that can't be saved by a likeable actress. May she get better parts in the future and may shit shows like this stop getting made.
    In what way is it a "horrible character"? Her original comic won a frickin' Hugo and it's been one of the most financially successful comics in recent years, particularly in digital sales, often being the most-sold digital comic in a given month.

    Also, miss me with the accusations of "politics".


  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Well she is from Jersey, so maybe her parents chose a name they liked that fit both for their place of origin and their new home. Seems a likely thing to do.


    Or maybe the woman who made the character and has pushed it relentlessly because its a self insert fantasy just really liked the name and so they went with it.
    Hardly. No Pakistani Muslim family would ever give their child a "Hindu" name. To be honest, no one else would either. Name is obviously meant to appeal to all South Asians, more so since she is constantly being told to be of Pakistani origin. And they certainly won't call it "Kamala". "Kamla" is the Sanskrit word.

    Indians are not going to like her, no matter her name. And it seems, rest feel the same way.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the point is that Kamala is an Indian Hindu name, and not really a Pakistani Muslim name. There is a lot of cross-culturization between the two countries, obviously, but I don't know many Pakistani Muslims with very traditional Hindu names.
    More like zero. Easier to have Hindu last names! Believe me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •