Thread: [TV] Ms. Marvel

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    For me, though, it just isn't enough. I'm over the standard teenage superhero story except with <element> different.
    I for one really like the different <element> of…….

Explicitly showing her constantly day dreaming. I really liked the bit where the school counselor was trying to talk to her about it and she drifts off 10 sec in the conversation.

I guess it's what people have identified as a "it's not for you" problem. I've raised objections and been rebuffed with that on multiple venues, which I guess means they might be right?

And truth be told, maybe my expectations were too high. I wanted this to break the mold in more ways than one; and I guess it breaks the mold in exactly one way. Which is cool, and works, and is perfectly well executed.

For me, though, it just isn't enough. I'm over the standard teenage superhero story except with <element> different.

Maybe it really isn't for me.
    Something can be both bad and not be targeted at you, the "it's not for you" defense is usually a deflection from having a constructive argument about what's wrong with a show.

I've only seen the first episode so far because... well, it was bland and boring, so I'm not too excited to see the next episode. Only decent part of the show is the main actress, although she's limited by the writing so far. Almost every other character is a stereotype or generic one-dimensional character. The shots and camera work were meh to awful. The episode could've shaved off 20 minutes from the runtime, as almost nothing really happened for the entire first episode beyond just elementary groundwork (there was more than enough time to do more). Many of the scenes were redundant in terms of what they were trying to show/say, some were just setups with no payoffs (and likely no payoffs in the future). The summation of it all was just a meh episode at best.

When it comes to the target audience, it's fairly obvious... and I think that's what will kill this show. If you think of most Pixar films, they are generally targeted at a younger audience, but they're filled with content (jokes, themes, etc.) that only adults will notice and enjoy. Ms. Marvel is trying to target a younger audience, yet that audience is going to be bored to death with this series so far with nothing for adults to glean from it. It's as superficial and bland as you can get at this point, and that may change in the future. However, the current Disney trend for a series is "first episode shows some promise or is not offensive, every episode afterwards competes to be the worst episode since the last."
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-06-21 at 02:45 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

If you've given it two eps and still don't like it. quit. But don't base everything on an intro ep as those are almost always less than stellar. I usually ignore juveniles but this one is fun enough for me to give it another week. YMMV.

Maybe it really isn't for me.
    What are we counting exactly? Because outside of Spiderman and Static Shock I can't actually think of too many teenage superhero stories.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    What are we counting exactly? Because outside of Spiderman and Static Shock I can't actually think of too many teenage superhero stories.
    Runaway's, Cloak and Dagger, Squirrel Girl. Fwiw, I don't count teenage sidekicks.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    There are a fair number of teenage heroes, even if you don't count sidekicks.

And we have versions of characters where we get introduced to them as teenagers or have a teenage alternate story.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Runaway's, Cloak and Dagger, Squirrel Girl. Fwiw, I don't count teenage sidekicks.
    Stargirl.

Sort of X-men. The movies mostly didn't involve them as teenagers but most of them started out as teenagers in the comics.

None of them are really all that much like Ms Marvel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Stargirl.

Sort of X-men. The movies mostly didn't involve them as teenagers but most of them started out as teenagers in the comics.

Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants were based on teenagers.

- - - Updated - - -

Sticking to Live Action, and based on American Comics

Dark Phoenix
    The New Mutants
    Shazam
    Cloak and Dagger
    Titans (TV Show)

If we include cartoons, the list would be much longer. If we include those outside of America, the list would be very long.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If we include those outside of America, the list would be very long.
    I mean...it seems like 99.99999% of anime involves the varied shenanigans of high-school aged kids, but I don't think I've ever heard that used as an excuse to avoid the medium.

it's a joke. i know there's plenty of different anime. don't @ me

I won't restate what has already been said about how boring this show is, enough people have already done so.

The thing I keep thinking is how they didn't see it coming?

Hollywood has trouble writing teenagers without making their stories all about sex, alcohol, parties, etc.....

Generally you either get that, or "teenagers" who act nothing like teenagers and look like they are 30 (hi Tom Holland).

So taking their normal lack of ability to make realistic teenagers and throw in the sensitivities of a Muslim family with an upbringing that would be highly opposed to alot of the normal "hollywood teenager" activities and you don't have alot for her to do. It puts restrictions in place on the few things Hollywood writers know how to create for younger people and leaves them with very little wiggle room.

Good to hear the actress is doing a good job with what she has to work with. Maybe she'll get a better role some time in the future.

On a side note, I'm curious for all the touting its gotten for its "younger and browner" audience, how many younger and browner people are actually still liking it (or watching it at all)? I have two friends who should be the target audience for this (admittedly out of the age range, but one is black and one is pakistani and both love comics)..... neither of them have any interest in this show and find the character insulting.

Stargirl.

I actually forgot about Stargirl. Really need that show to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like people are jumping the gun, the first episode was about introducing the character, the second episode introduced the powers, it's pretty clear the main plot will kick off in episode 3.

Personally I appreciate they aren't trying to rush things.

I really tried to like that show. The star is great and her parents, but otherwise the rest of the cast is really bad. That combined with super generic and boring writing made me lose interest. I got through S1, but S2 was too much to slog through.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I have two friends who should be the target audience for this
    The target audience is people who like super hero TV shows.

Their target demo is 12-24 F/M. There is no such thing as a target audience based on genre.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like people are jumping the gun, the first episode was about introducing the character, the second episode introduced the powers, it's pretty clear the main plot will kick off in episode 3.

Personally I appreciate they aren't trying to rush things.
    yeah I liked Stargirl too. It was a refreshing break from the drag that was Supergirl. Supergirl started off good, but then majorly lost it's way. It started off being a superhero show with a bit of drama on the side to becoming a drama with a bit of superhero stuff on the side. that is never good. hopefully Stargirl doesn't make the same mistake but it is on the same network so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    yeah I liked Stargirl too. It was a refreshing break from the drag that was Supergirl. Supergirl started off good, but then majorly lost it's way. It started off being a superhero show with a bit of drama on the side to becoming a drama with a bit of superhero stuff on the side. that is never good. hopefully Stargirl doesn't make the same mistake but it is on the same network so who knows
    Supergirl lost a lot of budget switching networks. I've watched the whole thing anyways. It was still mostly a superhero show but the hero without the cape is still a person. Persons have things like relationships and jobs and dinner. Most of them aren't malignant sociopaths like Batman. Supergirl's biggest problem was not enough musical episodes. And losing Calista Flockhart.

Stargirl is co-financed by HBO Max. CW helps air the show but its superiour budget allows them to do more with it.

Then they massively failed.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Supergirl lost a lot of budget switching networks. I've watched the whole thing anyways. It was still mostly a superhero show but the hero without the cape is still a person. Persons have things like relationships and jobs and dinner. Most of them aren't malignant sociopaths like Batman. Supergirl's biggest problem was not enough musical episodes. And losing Calista Flockhart.

Stargirl is co-financed by HBO Max. CW helps air the show but its superiour budget allows them to do more with it.
    yeah I get that but I think the person side got a lot more attention in later seasons than in previous seasons. which isn't a bad thing, I just think they went a bit too far. Stargirl is also a bit darker than your average CW superhero show, I guess that is HBO's influence on it a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Then they massively failed.
    it's still doing well. yeah the other shows did better but they had advantages that this show didn't.

I really tried to like that show. The star is great and her parents, but otherwise the rest of the cast is really bad. That combined with super generic and boring writing made me lose interest. I got through S1, but S2 was too much to slog through.
    S2 started pretty slow bit once it got moving it just never stopped.

I just love how focused it is on being a superhero show, to the point that the teen drama stuff is kind of treated like an afterthought.

It's like they are just doing the bare minimum to meet some kind of teen drama quota so they can focus on the superhero stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    it's still doing well. yeah the other shows did better but they had advantages that this show didn't.
    No its not. Its under half of what all their others shows are doing and most of THEM aren't considered that impressive.

And Moonknight was one of the top ones. No advantage because nobody knew who that was or had a name people recognized like MARVEL. Did over double what this show is doing.