Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The way they redid the jobs is amazing. Stripping everyone down to so few abilities has made all the jobs feel very focused. There's no weird bloat or useless abilities. Everything has a purpose.
    I neglected to jump into it at the start because I was busy throwing myself onto housing stuff.

Then I heard BLM got buffed so hard it pushed other people out and since then I haven't heard much, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    OP asked for end-game content. I don't consider anything below Mythic raiding to be end-game content in wow, and anything below Ultimate in FF as well.

And please don't bring PvP up, if you think PvP in FF14 is "content" we can end this discussion right here lmao.
    We can end the discussion right here and now as well if you don't consider savage/max level content end-game content.
    Destiny 2 raids are end-game content as well even though you can probably solo/2man them when they are "current" content, even though they are meant to be played with 6 players. Difficulty has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The encounters are designed in a similar way to WoW encounters, they are just tuned differently.
    The amount of "content" doesn't change from tuning.

If you need 5 years to kill a boss, it's still just 1 boss and not "5 years worth of end-game content".
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-06-23 at 11:01 AM.

[QUOTE=Thoriangun;53806723]

Alliance raids are LFR, don't kid your self
    Alliance AND normal raid are LFG. You clear both easily with randoms and half the group can can be braindead (if not both healers - though I often enough saved even such raids as a DD class with heals and ress like Red Mage).

As someone playing WoW since Vanilla Beta and trying to get into FFXIV: No. The combat is just awful, the mechanics are awful and clunky and the endgame content ist boring/asia-grind-style². If you like WoW and how it handles endgame you will not enjoy FFXIV Endgame.
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    As someone playing WoW since Vanilla Beta and trying to get into FFXIV: No. The combat is just awful, the mechanics are awful and clunky and the endgame content ist boring/asia-grind-style². If you like WoW and how it handles endgame you will not enjoy FFXIV Endgame.
    Bwahahahaha "asia style grind" bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why are you commenting on things you don't play?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Everyone I play with runs both extensively.

Everyone I play with runs extreme trials extensively.
    Personal experience is a fine thing but just that. Overall the majoriy of people really did not care at all to run old stuff and it was hard to get into any of that in all these years if there wasn't some event or it was on some daily roulette.

The only reason to run both would be it you do it for the vanity stuff. Of course it's better you do that with a fix group, because most people are terrible and will simply leave when they got their drop and if you do somethign like an ex trial or savage, it's simply smoother and faster to do it with halfway competent people.

If you don't need something at once, you can of course just wait till the next expansion and get your mount and alike much easier and faster without the terrible RNG. Even if you got a smooth group, you can easily have 20-30 runs without a single drop and such groups normally go in to get 8 of it.

No, you wouldn't.

The big problem with your "logic" here is it makes two completely bogus assumptions:

1. That Savage is infinitely farmable so there is no need to do other content to fill out slots or upgrade sets for alt jobs. This is obviously false.
    2. That the only reason to do content is for upgrades. This is also false.
    It's much more farmable than the other stuff. See: until the alliance raid arrives you already got over 16 weeks of savage farming PLUS 16 weeks of your tomestones and upgrade materials from savage. And when alliance raid gets out you also only got one drop per boss and it will be worse gear, no weapon (which stands for the majority of your toons power anyway) and no accessoire.

Even when it comes to side-jobs, you can just buy and upgrade the crafted gear (or craft it yourself). Upgrades to alliance raid level are easier and faster to get than the alliance drops and you can get if for all equipment, not only for armor parts.

Before ShB, there was no crafted gear upgrade, by that alliance raid gear was simply on par with not upgraded tomestone gear, what made running the alliance raids more worthwhile.

Bwahahahaha "asia style grind" bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why are you commenting on things you don't play?
    Getting the best gathering/profession-Tools = Farm the same Orechunks literaly thousands of time, making the same shit from literally the same gather materials thousand of times to trade it in
    Getting the best weapons/upgrades = Farm this boring PoS-Warfront-Thing for weeks/months and do the same shit over and over and over and over again to get the mats you need to upgrade it.

== Asia Style grind. No thanks, i'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriamel105 View Post
    Personal experience is a fine thing but just that. Overall the majoriy of people really did not care at all to run old stuff and it was hard to get into any of that in all these years if there wasn't some event or it was on some daily roulette.

The only reason to run both would be it you do it for the vanity stuff. Of course it's better you do that with a fix group, because most people are terrible and will simply leave when they got their drop and if you do somethign like an ex trial or savage, it's simply smoother and faster to do it with halfway competent people.

If you don't need something at once, you can of course just wait till the next expansion and get your mount and alike much easier and faster without the terrible RNG. Even if you got a smooth group, you can easily have 20-30 runs without a single drop and such groups normally go in to get 8 of it.

No, you wouldn't.

It's much more farmable than the other stuff. See: until the alliance raid arrives you already got over 16 weeks of savage farming PLUS 16 weeks of your tomestones and upgrade materials from savage. And when alliance raid gets out you also only got one drop per boss and it will be worse gear, no weapon (which stands for the majority of your toons power anyway) and no accessoire.

Even when it comes to side-jobs, you can just buy and upgrade the crafted gear (or craft it yourself). Upgrades to alliance raid level are easier and faster to get than the alliance drops and you can get if for all equipment, not only for armor parts.

Before ShB, there was no crafted gear upgrade, by that alliance raid gear was simply on par with not upgraded tomestone gear, what made running the alliance raids more worthwhile.

16 weeks is potentially enough to kit out 4 jobs, but only get two weapons. You aren't being honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting the best gathering/profession-Tools = Farm the same Orechunks literaly thousands of time, making the same shit from literally the same gather materials thousand of times to trade it in
    Getting the best weapons/upgrades = Farm this boring PoS-Warfront-Thing for weeks/months and do the same shit over and over and over and over again to get the mats you need to upgrade it.

Just admit you don't play the game man.
    -ynnady

Just admit you don't play the game man.
    Good argumentation my man. As good as FFXIV-Endgame i would nearly say...

That's not the way to get the best stuff in the game.

1) The crafting and gathering gear you buy with scrip can be earned with relatively little time invested and most certainly doesn't involve farming anything literally thousands of times. If you're doing it that way, you're doing it wrong. I was able to purchase an entire set of the highest ilevel scrip gear within one day for my gatherer's.

2) You're talking specifically about the Relic weapon which isn't even the best weapon in the game until the very last patch of the expansion series and even then it's typically not that much better than the alternative. Up until that point, the highest rated gear comes from doing the highest level end game content. That said, I won't deny the Relic weapon grind is similar to other Asian style MMO grinds. But WoW's legendaries aren't much better.

So while you may be playing the game, you're knowledge of it seems very limited and therefore your opinion on it seems to be based on incomplete or inaccurate information.

If you don't like the game though, that's fine. It's not for everybody.

Good argumentation my man. As good as FFXIV-Endgame i would nearly say...
    Everything you are talking about takes a few hours.
    -ynnady

Well, Aradur is *technically* right, but it's not really relevant in the scope of actual gameplay.

Yes, the relic weapon grinds can suck, but they're not BiS until a specific point in the expansion and aren't necessary by any means.

Yes, the "relic" crafting tool grinds can suck, but they're pretty much just 100% for showing off. You don't need them for a darn thing, and you can make the best stuff yourself or buy it off the MB anyway.

WoW is more Asia-style grind than FFXIV. Tf are you talking about.

I love XIV, so what I'm about to say is not a criticism. The toxic positivity crowd will feel otherwise.

XIV is two games mashed into one:

1) 5, 100+ hour single-player RPGs with a solid amount of good content, and a bunch of chores you may or may not like. In experiencing this part of the game, you may wonder why you pay a subscription at all... because you can have the same experience in another Final Fantasy without one. These games are built on a foundation of a game developed in 2006 and gradually improved on. Regardless of what anyone else says, like WoW, there is nothing modern or elegant about the gameplay. It's still fun. I think old Tomb Raider and Resident Evil have fun gameplay. That's just the way it is... as it a game it feels old now. This is probably everything you want to skip.

2) There is a MMORPG tacked on to the end of each of the 5 games. If you're just starting, that's a lot of content to digest if you can find other willing participants to do no-echo, high difficulty runs. If you're a streamer you can make this look super easy with a horde of people eager to be on the same screen as you. For everyone else, you'll probably wait 45 min in queue to play a nerfed version of the legacy content. For the active expansion, there's a lot of fun raiding to do. Your enjoyment will vary based on who you play with. The XIV community will tell you they're more positive and understanding than any other MMO... this is the same thing as interviewing for a new job and the HR coordinator telling you "We're just a big family here!" ... it's a red flag - the XIV raiding community is just as BS as everywhere else, and it's all about finding the *right* people. I found the right people in WoW, and the right people in XIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    I love XIV, so what I'm about to say is not a criticism. The toxic positivity crowd will feel otherwise.

XIV is two games mashed into one:

1) 5, 100+ hour single-player RPGs with a solid amount of good content, and a bunch of chores you may or may not like. In experiencing this part of the game, you may wonder why you pay a subscription at all... because you can have the same experience in another Final Fantasy without one. These games are built on a foundation of a game developed in 2006 and gradually improved on. Regardless of what anyone else says, like WoW, there is nothing modern or elegant about the gameplay. It's still fun. I think old Tomb Raider and Resident Evil have fun gameplay. That's just the way it is... as it a game it feels old now. This is probably everything you want to skip.

2) There is a MMORPG tacked on to the end of each of the 5 games. If you're just starting, that's a lot of content to digest if you can find other willing participants to do no-echo, high difficulty runs. If you're a streamer you can make this look super easy with a horde of people eager to be on the same screen as you. For everyone else, you'll probably wait 45 min in queue to play a nerfed version of the legacy content. For the active expansion, there's a lot of fun raiding to do. Your enjoyment will vary based on who you play with. The XIV community will tell you they're more positive and understanding than any other MMO... this is the same thing as interviewing for a new job and the HR coordinator telling you "We're just a big family here!" ... it's a red flag - the XIV raiding community is just as BS as everywhere else, and it's all about finding the *right* people. I found the right people in WoW, and the right people in XIV.
    I can't imagine anyone seriously saying you are wrong, but I do think you are going a bit far by claiming that the raiding community is the same in both games. You aren't wrong that people overstate the lack of toxicity in FF14, but I still think its much better. A lot of this isn't because of the community as much as because of the structure of raiding and the tools around raiding making it a lot easier to get away from people.

That said, I've learned to try not to scare people off about the big MSQ. Some people I thought would love the MSQ hated it and some I thought would hate it loved it. It's sort of unpredictable. Look at Preach. He openly laughed at and mocked the idea that he would get into the story and then he become the biggest fan of the story. As often as that happens, someone who loves stories and even FF games finds it a huge slog. I usually just tell people that if they like the game but are feeling like its a slog, skip ARR, watch a recap, and pick up at Heavensward.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    . this is the same thing as interviewing for a new job and the HR coordinator telling you "We're just a big family here!" ... it's a red flag - the XIV raiding community is just as BS as everywhere else, and it's all about finding the *right* people. I found the right people in WoW, and the right people in XIV.
    of course there is toxicity in FF. that being said, its NO WHERE near as rampant as it is in wow raiding scene.

I've played both games for a very long time, since launch of both actually, and raided on both in both pugs and statics/guilds. Wanna know the last time I met toxic people in wow? When I tried tanking a couple of months ago. Havent really played much since. Wanna know the last time I met toxic people in FF? honestly I dont even remember..the only time I remember is in a heavensward extreme trials +6 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I skipped a large portion of the story. It never got better for me until ShB and EW, otherwise I wouldn’t be playing right now.

That said, do try to ask for advice in the game, or friends. If you don’t mind spoilers tell your friends ahead of time so they fully explain mechanics. Level another job after you skip for a good learning curve on mechanics.

Tell us you've never played a decent amount of this game without telling us you've never played a decent amount of this game.

First off, you're legit talking about the Relic weapons, which is designed from the start to be an expansion long event for players that allows them to get something shiny for all their work. The whole POINT of these things was to give the players that grind IF they wanted it because if you'd actually played the game otherwise, you notice that nothing else in 14 has that kind of grind to get ANYWHERE with it. What's more is the fact that, guess what? These don't just die off once the expansion is over and you can't ever get it if you decided to play after. Oh! And nearly all the steps are something a bit more stimulating then 'Go give me nearly 5000 Apexis Crystals'.

Second off, What's the thing that's common to do in end game raiding for the best gear and the best chance to complete mythic content in WoW again? Split-runs, I think it's called? Where you've gotta go into raids with similar armored characters and funnel all the gear into your best players and this often leaves you running the same raid multiple times, over and over, to the point where it actually stops the world first race because the players are having to do another split-run? Yeah... congrats, the game you've been playing since Beta is doing the same thing it's been doing since WoD now, asking you to spend weeks/months doing the same shit over and over again to get what you need to upgrade.

Third and Finally, You aren't an 'Elite' for playing a game since Beta. Hell, you're not even special. You just happened to be around at the time and got lucky to get into a game when it was at it's most broken. All you're telling us right now by claiming that 'I've played since Beta!' is how much time, effort, and money you've pushed into the game that, especially in the last several years, has shown not only to NOT care for it's players but also belongs to a company that has shown it regards you little more than a walking ATM. You must feel so proud.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSideEye View Post
    Second off, What's the thing that's common to do in end game raiding for the best gear and the best chance to complete mythic content in WoW again? Split-runs, I think it's called? Where you've gotta go into raids with similar armored characters and funnel all the gear into your best players and this often leaves you running the same raid multiple times, over and over, to the point where it actually stops the world first race because the players are having to do another split-run? Yeah... congrats, the game you've been playing since Beta is doing the same thing it's been doing since WoD now, asking you to spend weeks/months doing the same shit over and over again to get what you need to upgrade.
    This has happened a lot in this thread, and I really feel compelled to point it out: The things described in this thread as being "the norm" in WoW raiding - split runs, addon programmers, etc - are things that generally only the most extreme world first guilds (which are - as often as not - actually businesses) engage in, and isn't typical of the experience of probably 99% of players or raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    This has happened a lot in this thread, and I really feel compelled to point it out: The things described in this thread as being "the norm" in WoW raiding - split runs, addon programmers, etc - are things that generally only the most extreme world first guilds (which are - as often as not - actually businesses) engage in, and isn't typical of the experience of probably 99% of players or raiders.
    We can't help it if the wow people keep coming in here ranting and raving about how elite and hardcore end-mythic bosses are. That's why we keep having to talk about that garbage.
    -ynnady