Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Because it removes any sense of hard work and personal prestige from the game. I have the OG PvP sets on two characters. I rock them with pride for the time I devoted into the game. I look unique and people recognised it. It made me feel good.
    I don't play WoW anymore, but I play SWtOR. In the most recent 'expansion', they reintroduced the original raid sets from operations. Suddenly my OG raid gear that 1% of the population had, was being equipped by the vast majority. In an instant my prestige outfits were invalidated.
    MMOs need things like this; unique gear and titles for long time members to stand out. Otherwise the game will just continue to become monetized to cater to people who 'well I didn't experience it so I'll pay X to get it'.
    If you really want some cool transmog, grind the old raids or just accept some you can't get. Don;t expect that other players are like you and willing to spend more money other than a subscription to cater to something you missed out on

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Using the same logic as the mounts in the store I ask: ... Why doesn't Blizzard fill the store with really cool xmogs (including some really full black for rogues plz) for people to buy?? I would pay (a similar price to mounts) for a really cool set that matches my main class.
    I would love a black transmog for my rogue as well. They can simply design better looking sets in the game. I personally didn't like the pvp/pve set looks for this expansion.

I’ve never really been okay with anything in the store for WoW, but as the years have gone on and worse and worse has been implemented, cosmetics just don’t bother me as much any more.

I still don’t like it though. I can support it in a F2P game of course, but not WoW. Every item should be obtainable in game, store cosmetics devalue in-game rewards but are a fair compromise when the game relies on it solely for monetisation. They’re far from the biggest problem, but they still suck and shouldn’t exist when you already have to purchase the game and pay a sub.

My view will not change.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2022-06-19 at 04:44 AM.

People seem to think that by being on the store, it lost its chance to be obtainable in the game.

A Cool transmog in the store doesnt mean they dropped a questline for it or decided not to include it on a drop table.

They dont go and make a bunch of items, then pick out the best ones to remove from the game and sell instead.
    There would be a team (or a segment of the art team) completly dedicated (fulltime, or inbetween content) to cooler transmogs, mounts and pets that can be sold. Because it makes money and justifies the development cost. They would have no interaction with the quest teams or any other teams.

If you dropped the store, guranteed, you would just lose those cooler items, they would just no longer be made, because the extra time/effort/resources wouldnt be worth it over 'normal' items.

So bitch all you want about the store and the 'cooler' items in it. But the only reason those items even exist in the first place, is because they are in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    People seem to think that by being on the store, it lost its chance to be obtainable in the game.

A Cool transmog in the store doesnt mean they dropped a questline for it or decided not to include it on a drop table.

They dont go and make a bunch of items, then pick out the best ones to remove from the game and sell instead.
    There would be a team (or a segment of the art team) completly dedicated (fulltime, or inbetween content) to cooler transmogs, mounts and pets that can be sold. Because it makes money and justifies the development cost. They would have no interaction with the quest teams or any other teams.

If you dropped the store, guranteed, you would just lose those cooler items, they would just no longer be made, because the extra time/effort/resources wouldnt be worth it over 'normal' items.

So bitch all you want about the store and the 'cooler' items in it. But the only reason those items even exist in the first place, is because they are in the store.
    You are unfortunately believe what the higher-up management spoon fed you.
    There are a SHITLOAD of resources available at Blizzard, they just artificially decide to not implement it because hur-dur it would hurt their profits...
    Nope, they can hire a few more artists and implement sets for all classes, make questlines for it, even make them available from crafting, you name it. (but you can't because your imagination is sadly limited, because you do believe this corporate bullshit)

It's sad where gaming is heading, where people like to show off the size of their wallets instead of their skill.
    Just like real life... when gaming was a hobby to escape from it.
    Now they are just milking us, and you are ASSISTING them by saying shit like
    But the only reason those items even exist in the first place, is because they are in the store.
    So shame on you, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    You are unfortunately believe what the higher-up management spoon fed you.
    There are a SHITLOAD of resources available at Blizzard, they just artificially decide to not implement it because hur-dur it would hurt their profits...
    Nope, they can hire a few more artists and implement sets for all classes, make questlines for it, even make them available from crafting, you name it. (but you can't because your imagination is sadly limited, because you do believe this corporate bullshit)

It's sad where gaming is heading, where people like to show off the size of their wallets instead of their skill.
    Just like real life... when gaming was a hobby to escape from it.
    Now they are just milking us, and you are ASSISTING them by saying shit like

So shame on you, really.
    Blizzard is a business first and foremost.

If those skulls took twice as long to create compared to other head pieces, what would be the point, to Blizzard, to create them if not to sell?

There are a finite amount of resources available because that is what Blizzard puts in. The goal is profit. They put in enough resources to get the product they want for the maximum profits.
    They decide that they need 1000 'low' quality transmog options this tier, fast to produce. 300 'good' ones, medium time to produce and 10 'amazing' ones at a lot of time to produce. They might then create 1 'super amazing' transmog that takes way more time than everything else, but they justify the resources/time by adding it to the cash shop.

Put it this way, do you think that there are people paid to just sit there and do nothing? It might seem like it, but no. Everyone has a job there, everyone has deadlines and things to create.
    They arent going to go to tell their teams to spend twice as long creating models for the next 2 weeks, because we really want these ones looking super duper.
    They are going to be told, churn out the models for the content. No slacking off, no extra frills, make them to the specs given.

The cash shop exists because Blizzard goes out of its way, spending additional resources, to create 'better than average' items. The entire reason they can justify creating these, to offset the additional cost in doing so, is because it brings in additional revenue.

People need to stop thinking that Blizzard loves making games and that is why they do it. They love making money, like any business does. They just do it by making games. There is ZERO point going above and beyond unless they can justify the cost in doing so. No one is resubbing because a boss drops some super cool flaming skull helmet, but someone that is subbed might fork out $20 to get it.

If I have 10 artists and I need 1000 models made, I can dictate that an hour at most should be spent on each model. That woukd be 1000 hours needed to produce the work, 100 hours spread over 10 workers. If one of those workers runs off and spends his entire 10 hours on 1 piece, the entire team is then behind despite having 1 amazing piece of work.
    If I wanted 1 piece of amazing work, I would have to allocate resources into that area to ensure everything gets done. Which would end up costing more time/money overall.

It is purely a cost vs return scenario.

Isn't it always cute how the biggest complainer about transmog in the shop are often also the biggest fans of Final Fantasy 14.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Box price + sub price + mtx shop (even if it's just cosmetics) is just insane amounts of greed
    https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/de-de/

Jep, it is definitively.

The only way I'd be fine with the cash shop is if they cut mounts to $10, pets to $5 and only had mog sets for $5 at most, only put up $10 of new stuff each month, or if they reworked it so as long as you chain 6-month subs you get everything in the store for free.

It's bad enough having as much as there is as overpriced as it is without introducing mog sets.

Here's an old man's nostalgic perspective:
    Transmogs should only be allowed on a stage placed on a central, visible spot in the larger cities (for example in Valley of Strength). Completing a set was sooo satisfying! And you knew all the gear everyone was wearing. I was totally fine looking like a freak for a few months.
    Not that this will ever happen. Buying transmogs is fine in games with no sub.

Blizzard is a business first and foremost.

If those skulls took twice as long to create compared to other head pieces, what would be the point, to Blizzard, to create them if not to sell?

There are a finite amount of resources available because that is what Blizzard puts in. The goal is profit. They put in enough resources to get the product they want for the maximum profits.
    They decide that they need 1000 'low' quality transmog options this tier, fast to produce. 300 'good' ones, medium time to produce and 10 'amazing' ones at a lot of time to produce. They might then create 1 'super amazing' transmog that takes way more time than everything else, but they justify the resources/time by adding it to the cash shop.

Put it this way, do you think that there are people paid to just sit there and do nothing? It might seem like it, but no. Everyone has a job there, everyone has deadlines and things to create.
    They arent going to go to tell their teams to spend twice as long creating models for the next 2 weeks, because we really want these ones looking super duper.
    They are going to be told, churn out the models for the content. No slacking off, no extra frills, make them to the specs given.

The cash shop exists because Blizzard goes out of its way, spending additional resources, to create 'better than average' items. The entire reason they can justify creating these, to offset the additional cost in doing so, is because it brings in additional revenue.

People need to stop thinking that Blizzard loves making games and that is why they do it. They love making money, like any business does. They just do it by making games. There is ZERO point going above and beyond unless they can justify the cost in doing so. No one is resubbing because a boss drops some super cool flaming skull helmet, but someone that is subbed might fork out $20 to get it.

If I have 10 artists and I need 1000 models made, I can dictate that an hour at most should be spent on each model. That woukd be 1000 hours needed to produce the work, 100 hours spread over 10 workers. If one of those workers runs off and spends his entire 10 hours on 1 piece, the entire team is then behind despite having 1 amazing piece of work.
    If I wanted 1 piece of amazing work, I would have to allocate resources into that area to ensure everything gets done. Which would end up costing more time/money overall.

It is purely a cost vs return scenario.
    Company who acted too much like you described just lost their reputation and never recovered for acting like a greedy goblin, example : Bioware, Ubisoft, Electronic Art.

Edit : to precise, you can't just think about money in a business you need to have passion if you don't you fall flat.
    Last edited by Raidoser; 2022-06-19 at 08:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If WoW was free to play I can justify the store being a thing to pay for cosmetics, MMOs are a live service and as such do need to sustain constant revenue and income to afford to keep it going. So cosmetics are completely fine in that regard.

But what I don't like is that WoW is a subscription based game with a B2P format for the base game and expansions and they still feel this shop is needed. Blizzard need to pick one, you cannot go and just put every pay model into a game. Pick one and go with it. I would like to assume their subs are so low that's why they added a shop in the first place, but let's not forget it was added at WoW's peak. So its pretty much purely based on greed.

With that said if WoW did go free to play I feel I will be eating my words because WoW wouldn't just have cosmetic stuff in their store they'd go full Diablo Immoral on the shop. So you cannot win with these greedy companies. Earning money isn't enough for them when they can earn ALL the money.

I would be really interested to see the results of their source earnings. I am betting WoW earn most from Subs a months more than shop, but I wouldn't be surprised if the shop was higher. We all know that the retail price isn't giving them much income because Blizzard are not gaining many new players and the fact you don't need previous expansions these days.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-19 at 11:49 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    Yes , I say that in the topic. The question is: Why only two if we can have 20? The selling criteria for mounts is different from the selling criteria for xmogs. That, to me, doesn't make sense.
    They tried selling transmogs in the store. The playerbase was already so toxic that people were kicked from guilds and shunned for having them. And it's only become more toxic over time.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmogrification sets on the store sound fine to me, as a seasonal thing, not a constant thing, nor bloated, we're talking like, a maximum of 10 sets (all class sets) which is only available at Christmas, no rotation, just, "Merry Christmas, buy a suit!".

And I feel like the token should be removed from the store and made completely in-game so that you can go to an NPC, dump 300k = 1-month gametime, or 20 Battle.net currency (which cannot be withdrawn).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    If someone cares how others enjoy themselves, they are not selfish. The only selfish opinion here is yours - "i cant do mythic raids but want the cool looking gear - and screw anyone who cant afford it, i can and i want it"

Some of the most popular and desirable xmogs are from vanilla and tbc.
    Tbh this is not a fair opinion because mythic raiders (including me) have been against giving mythic level gear from any content pretty much always. That is just as selfish because it means "screw anyone who doesn't have time for it".

It would have 0 effect on my gameplay if people received the gear from other content. Just as it would literally have 0 effect on everyone else if someone would receive a cosmetic item from shop. It is selfish but I think it's okay to be selfish to a certain extent.

I don't want blizz to implement buyable xmog, because I think it will slowly lead into more and more mts ingame.

Heres one more "this has a box price and charges you monthly rent" comment.

Why are people so desperate to paypig and get triple dipped for content? if you want cool armour in a game why do you want to pay for it like a mobile whale rather than actually just have activities to earn it in game?

is it just a graphically intense instant messenger and cash shop for you at this point?

I used to play the content in this game to make my character look good, that is the main goal for me in the game. Usually I'd obtain this through all the usual stuff, playing dungeons, raids, etc.

In my opinion, seeing people get the best looking gear, available from a shop is essentially pay-to-win in my eyes. It won't be the opinion of most people, I admit.

But it removes my incentive to play, as it has done with mounts, transmog, etc that currently exists, since I know I'll never get them.

I've stopped raiding since start of Shadowlands, previously I would raid everything, get CE each tier. Now I can't justify the time and effort for the reward.
    For a lot of people in that scene, getting progress is the main thing for them, so I guess it wouldn't apply, but not for me.

100% sure that all the people saying that this is the greediest thing imaginable are the same people who jumped ship to FFXIV and don't see a problem with their cash shop

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxoz View Post
    Realistically, there isnt 20 years of transmogs. The cutoff point for "stupidly outdated" keeps increasing as new content comes out. BC mogs look like they belong on the PS1 because... well, they do.

To me, and this is largely subjective, the current cutoff point is legion.
    When transmog came out in DS one of the first things I did was go hunt down my old MC set. And it was like going back to play SC1 after playing SC2. All I could think was "I think I can count the pixels." It got even worse when WoD updated the player models. That just made it more jarring. Like watching a 1080p video with just one part of the screen that's 144p.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

never ceases to amaze me how many world of warcraft players are so down bad the thought of a having to pay a little more money is gamebreaking. Y’all got to stop farming keys and actually do something with yalls life, fucking bums

Quote Originally Posted by GucciWarr View Post
    never ceases to amaze me how many world of warcraft players are so down bad the thought of a having to pay a little more money is gamebreaking. Y’all got to stop farming keys and actually do something with yalls life, fucking bums
    This got me thinking. It's actually not even the amount of money that you have to pay for these items that's the problem. If anything I would prefer the game-store items to be exorbitantly expensive. At least then there would be some (still laughable) prestige to the players wearing them.

But Blizzard doesn't even have the decency to make the store cosmetics prohibitive. Bums can buy them as well. Which makes them ubiquitous visual noise that detracts from the stuff that people earned by playing the game in one way or another.

There's no problem with a handful of players walking around with items that cost a fortune in the game store. In fact it would be hilarious. The real problem is that the in-game store products are too accessible which floods the game with junk.