Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    35,021
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    1, cited for opinion. 2, see logical fallacy called "Argument from ignorance".
    1.

    "Opinion"



    It may have better scores on the android/apple store, but I urge you to go actually look at those reviews. Thousands and thousands of people have upvoted most 1 and 2 star ratings saying the game has fun combat and is otherwise a pay to win mess. You know, ratings that look like they're from real people. Meanwhile the 5 star reviews all have the same wording as 5 star reviews on other heavily monetized games, copy pasted. It's almost like companies buy good reviews where they can. If the great majority of players of hate it, like literally over 95% of people who try it, it's a bad game. The one single thing it has going for it is combat, and that's it. People have already started quitting en masse.

    2. If by ignorance you mean D:I isn't P2W then ROFLMAOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL


    But this isn't a thread about D:I, only tangentially.

    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ox-regulations

    The Norwegian Consumer Council has released a new report on the ongoing impact of loot boxes on the games industry, backed by 20 consumer groups in 18 European countries.

    The report gives an outline of the history of monetisation in games, and how practices around loot boxes and in-game currency have evolved to "exploit consumers."

    It highlights "deceptive design" in games, tricks that "exploit cognitive or behavioural biases to incentivise spending." Loot boxes are also frequently marketed aggressively by "advertising the possible rewards," which is also considered deceptive by the report.

    Two case studies of particularly predatory practices are also included in the document -- it details how loot boxes are implemented in FIFA 22 and Raid: Shadow Legends, and the problems it presents.

    The report rounds up by listing several actions that the industry and its regulators can take to improve the landscape around loot boxes. This includes:

    Banning the aforementioned "deceptive design"
    Denoting all in-game purchases in real-world currency
    Not implementing loot boxes in games aimed at minors
    More transparency around algorithms that determine the outcome of a purchase
    More enforcement around consumer rights in games
    It adds that if these remedies do not alleviate the issues, the industry should consider a ban of paid loot boxes in games altogether.

    Conversations around loot boxes and legality have been ongoing. In 2018, the Belgian Gaming Commission ruled that the implementation of them in games breached multiple gambling laws in the country.

    That same year, EA found itself embroiled in a four-year long discussion on whether FIFA's card packs should be seen as gambling under Dutch legislation. In the end it was decided that loot boxes are not subject to gambling laws if they follow a certain criteria.

    Since then, handfuls of publishers including Nintendo, Blizzard, and Konami have stopped sales of loot boxes in Belgium, as well as other territories that no longer permit it under law.

    Last year, a UK report also dubbed loot boxes "structurally and psychologically akin to gambling," and called for new policies to be put in place, including a clear definition of what a loot box is, full disclosure of the odds when purchasing them, and spending limits.

    The UK government also called for evidence on loot boxes ahead of a potential review of gambling laws in the country, the results of which should be revealed later this year.

    A similar proposal was put forward in Australia in 2021, that would see loot boxes banned from games targeted at children.
    I'm glad that countries are looking to ban this shit. If loot boxes and predatory microtransactions became illegal tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a single tear. I'd celebrate.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  2. #102
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Bombed ratings mean nothing, and people who want to play Diablo Immortal - know that.

    It's very easy to download a free app on any store and leave a 1-2 star rating, without even playing the game.
    Metacritic user rating - you don't even need to download anything.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  3. #103
    My only question about a lot of the legislation and opinions on these topics is whether or not it's just the same old "internet is scary!" boogeyman stuff, or if they're going to be consistent and ban baseball cards and MtG packs and whatnot.

    Hell, if "the children!" is really their argument, then physical card packs have always been more accessible to children. I bought MtG packs like a fiend for years as a teen. We had a really big scene (for the time) in my area and it was just what a lot of us did. Are we talking about banning that today, or is it just scary internet stuff and scary devil video games?

  4. #104
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    35,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    My only question about a lot of the legislation and opinions on these topics is whether or not it's just the same old "internet is scary!" boogeyman stuff, or if they're going to be consistent and ban baseball cards and MtG packs and whatnot.

    Hell, if "the children!" is really their argument, then physical card packs have always been more accessible to children. I bought MtG packs like a fiend for years as a teen. We had a really big scene (for the time) in my area and it was just what a lot of us did. Are we talking about banning that today, or is it just scary internet stuff and scary devil video games?
    Why am I not surprised you completely misrepresent what's going on here? lmao

    But it's pretty obvious the vocabulary used in the report went way way way over your head.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Bombed ratings mean nothing
    Yes clearly there is some kind of mass conspiracy just to make D:I look bad and people's displeasure is faked. I see...
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Why am I not surprised you completely misrepresent what's going on here? lmao

    But it's pretty obvious the vocabulary used in the report went way way way over your head.
    That's not really a reply, just another batch of insults from you.

    It's a serious question. If FIFA card packs or OverWatch loot boxes are bad, then are baseball card packs and MtG packs? Especially since the latter may contain things of real value?

    If you struggle to answer that, then you may need to evaluate your feelings on the issue and see where your bias lies.

  6. #106
    User ratings are of no value or importance in any media. There is no way to know the motive of the user or the context in which the user is reviewing.

    There is a lot written about CinemaScore, THE industry standard, in the film industry that is similar to other media user scores. Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, IMDB, and Fandango all based their models of aggregation for user scores on the data of CinemaScore and other aggregation engines.

    There is a reason user reviews are separated from professional and scholarly reviews on almost every major platform for all media.

    It will never be otherwise and historically, never has.

  7. #107
    I think it's just some sort of evolutionary pressure, because there is plenty of reasons to design a cheap cash vampire (you will either make a lot of money or not lose a lot of money). So hundreds of them get released everyday.

    But as an indie who wants to make something better, that's your competition. Hundreds of games that are "free" to play. You can take your chances with your cash first game that is actually good, but chances are players will never hear about it or won't buy it because "mobile games are usually shit". And then your studio goes kaputt, because making a good game is actually quite expensive.

    And as a dev in a big company you have to convince the higher ups that spending a whole bunch of money on a good mobile game - a market that isn't willing to pay up front according to industry wisdom (which is what the higher ups listen to) - is somehow the better opportunity than making one that makes them a lot more money. So one of these making it, is also a pretty rare event.

    And so you have hundreds of terrible games release every day and the occasional good one, that usually doesn't do well. And so players and devs continue to believe that good mobile games are not worth making/paying for.

    In order for that to change, there would have to be a big culutural change that makes CEOs believe in the customers interest in good mobile games, customers believe that buying mobile games is worth it and some event that removes the influx of cheap to make goldmine games that just seem like the safer and more lucrative alternative.

    So some sort of Goverment regulation or just customers wising up to their tricks and refusing to engage in shady buisness practices. Some companies app store starting to specialize in "good mobile games" as a PR campaign that useres really flock to. Something like that. It won't just happen, because it's the right thing to do and you can maybe make enough money with a good game, too.
    Last edited by owbu; 2022-06-22 at 07:29 PM.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

  8. #108
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    35,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    User ratings are of no value or importance in any media.
    Wrong. Of course there are people who will like things that 99% of people dislike. I've never ever said pay to win mobile games aren't fun for anyone. But think of every game that's gotten review bombed in the last 10 years. They were all absolute shit at launch. D:I is no different. And the worst part is that it was a halfway decent Diablo game in beta.

    People who say "reviews don't matter" are always the tiny population of players that actually like said games and just want some excuse. Games can live and die by their review score.

    There are entire businesses built around spamming 5 star reviews for you app/business/profile. And most big studios use their services. Huh... now if reviews didn't matter... why are there companies designed to post positive fake reviews? And why do they make SO MUCH MONEY? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

    There's a huge portion of the market that wants to know whether or not people see a game as good before they commit to it. To say they have no value or importance is ignorant to an almost hilarious degree, especially for someone in your field. It really really really just sounds like sour grapes coming from you. How different do you think D:I would be doing right now if it was well received and well rated?


    FFXIV 1.0
    No Man's Sky
    Warcraft 3 Refunded
    Fallout 76
    Star Wars Battlefront 2
    WoW classic TBC monetized cash grab BS
    Diablo Immoral

    Now, I want you to look at that list and think about which studios took the time to make the game better, and which ones just abandoned it after the initial cash grab.




    And as an aside from an earlier topic, being disappointed with how many AAA studios have microtransactions, I got curious and I looked up recent AAA game releases that did not have microtransactions. The great majority of the list was nintendo and square enix games. Not to say that those publishers don't have games with microtransactions, but a lot of their games don't.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    And as an aside from an earlier topic, being disappointed with how many AAA studios have microtransactions, I got curious and I looked up recent AAA game releases that did not have microtransactions. The great majority of the list was nintendo and square enix games. Not to say that those publishers don't have games with microtransactions, but a lot of their games don't.
    ...what

    Ok Nintendo I'll kinda give you since they are a different beast and smash is like the one time they actually did DLC and fighting game players are a little more accepting of DLC


    But square? SQUARE?
    Did you not forget all the crap they got for FFXVs DLC
    Or 14s giant cash shop
    Or ALL the crap the Avengers game got
    The episodic life is strange games?
    The FF7 remake being split into 3 games?
    I mean a lot of the stuff on steam is either "definitive editions" or remakes of old stuff Guardians of the Galaxy being a small exception ONLY cause square was selling the Marvel licence so they can invest in NFTs

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    User ratings are of no value or importance in any media. There is no way to know the motive of the user or the context in which the user is reviewing.

    There is a lot written about CinemaScore, THE industry standard, in the film industry that is similar to other media user scores. Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, IMDB, and Fandango all based their models of aggregation for user scores on the data of CinemaScore and other aggregation engines.

    There is a reason user reviews are separated from professional and scholarly reviews on almost every major platform for all media.

    It will never be otherwise and historically, never has.
    Aye, 0.4 just looks pathetic - bunch of manchildren throwing a hissy fit, meanwhile people are spending thousands and it's popular and talked about. Yea, that 0.4 rating really showed blizzard exdee, D:I brought only $3.5 in revenue, ruined, gamers rise up, etc
    Last edited by ldev; 2022-06-23 at 10:42 AM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Wrong.
    Nah. You don't know what you are talking about. User ratings have no control, editor, no vetting and no professional standard continuation depends on.

    If the LAT or NYer publish a lot of BS reviews, they eventually lose business. They have a professional incentive to cultivate excellence in their reviews.

    I can hire someone to bot review Top Gun: Maverick or Her Stroy in one phone call right now if I wanted to do so. Again, there is 100% a reason why no platform weights user ratings as professional ratings. Never has, and never will.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Once again, here is the core question of my OP: Why is something being a mobile game an excuse for it being 1. bad 2. pay to win. Because D:I in alpha and beta before the cash shop sounded like an extremely fun game.

    "Well because it needs to make money!"

    Mobile games can make money without being pay to win. They make more money if they're pay to win, sure. But they can still make money. So why do players polish Blizzard's knob for what happened with this game? Why are gaming companies conditioning players to think this sort of thing is okay?
    Thing is, you are late to the party. As you've mentioned early mobile games didn't have that p2w mentality, but that was many many many many years ago. Yes p2w is nasty, but it has become a norm for many years in a row, people are used to it. You want to change how that works? Welp, you have to make all those people stop spending money to send a signal. Will that happen? Chances are practically zero.
    And slamming Blizzard is pointless because every other mobile game company is doing it. Yeah, instead of 100k USD one may spend about 30k or 40k USD to top their character or smthing like that in other games, but does it make that much of a difference? Nope, you are still spending money.

    P.S. I don't believe there are any p2p titles below, are there?


  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Popastique View Post
    I knew Genshin Impact was gonna be a game-changer when it came out that year opposite CP2077. I think I said as much in the GI thread or somewhere else.

    The style, design, presentation, ease of operation, cash shop, and terrific labeling were going to make it a surefire success. It is a "perfect" game in terms of marketability.

  14. #114
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I knew Genshin Impact was gonna be a game-changer when it came out that year opposite CP2077. I think I said as much in the GI thread or somewhere else.

    The style, design, presentation, ease of operation, cash shop, and terrific labeling were going to make it a surefire success. It is a "perfect" game in terms of marketability.
    And those rankings are mobile only. I'm pretty sure Genshin rakes some $$ from PC as well.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    And those rankings are mobile only. I'm pretty sure Genshin rakes some $$ from PC as well.
    Good point. You're right.

  16. #116
    Yeah, Genshin is absurd and is another game that lets you play just fine as a 100% F2P player.

    Though I haven't logged on in ages. Just hasn't been in my gaming mood space lately I guess.

  17. #117
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    35,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ...what

    Ok Nintendo I'll kinda give you since they are a different beast and smash is like the one time they actually did DLC and fighting game players are a little more accepting of DLC


    But square? SQUARE?
    Did you not forget all the crap they got for FFXVs DLC
    Or 14s giant cash shop
    Or ALL the crap the Avengers game got
    The episodic life is strange games?
    The FF7 remake being split into 3 games?
    I mean a lot of the stuff on steam is either "definitive editions" or remakes of old stuff Guardians of the Galaxy being a small exception ONLY cause square was selling the Marvel licence so they can invest in NFTs
    Did you... did you not read the post I made?

    I said the list of games from AAA studios that didn't have micro transactions is largely nintendo and Square, and I acknowledged that Square has microtransactional games, but a ton of their games also don't, more than most companies except nintendo.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nah. You don't know what you are talking about. User ratings have no control, editor, no vetting and no professional standard continuation depends on.

    If the LAT or NYer publish a lot of BS reviews, they eventually lose business. They have a professional incentive to cultivate excellence in their reviews.

    I can hire someone to bot review Top Gun: Maverick or Her Stroy in one phone call right now if I wanted to do so. Again, there is 100% a reason why no platform weights user ratings as professional ratings. Never has, and never will.
    Lack of complete control doesn't make them "useless". Perhaps your point is that they are not tightly controlled, but that does not make themof not value or importance. The metacritic score is one of the most highly cited among journalists covering the game, clocking in tens of millions of views and reads across youtube and popular websites. People see that and it puts an image in their head. It affects how they approach and see the game.

    If you'd used proper vocabulary, perhaps I would have agreed with you. Claiming the metacritic score has no controls would have been accurate. But claiming it lacks importance when it's had a massive presence in media about the game? Either sour grapes, or hilariously deaf to everything that's been going on.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post

    Lack of complete control doesn't make them "useless".
    It does make them useless. Aggregate sites and industry polling have no control over user reviews. Only publication thereof- but that is not relevant to the discussion.

    You will rarely ever see "users rate this a 78%!" on a piece of media. You will see, "Critic's Choice", "Certified Fresh", etc.

    Everything I said was perfectly stated and accurate. As said, you simply do not know what you are talking about at all. You are wrong, absolutely so.

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It does make them useless. Aggregate sites and industry polling have no control over user reviews. Only publication thereof- but that is not relevant to the discussion.

    You will rarely ever see "users rate this a 78%!" on a piece of media. You will see, "Critic's Choice", "Certified Fresh", etc.

    Everything I said was perfectly stated and accurate. As said, you simply do not know what you are talking about at all. You are wrong, absolutely so.
    You'll never convince them otherwise because they passionately want to believe in that 0.4 score or whatever.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    You'll never convince them otherwise because they passionately want to believe in that 0.4 score or whatever.
    Not important to convince them specifically. I am speaking against an incorrect and ignorant notion. This thread will likely be around as long as the web host. Forum posting is speaking to the idea, not the "person".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •