Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Field of View to be hotfixed to cap at 90.

"Blizzard

The ability to adjust your Field of View was added in 9.2.5 as an accessibility measure to help combat motion sickness.

Increasing it past the max of 90, a maximum that has been in place since WoW launched, was not intended. We're working on a hotfix to cap it at 90."

Why would they add an accessibility option to *reduce* field of view but not expand it??

Clearly cause they don't want us to have a clear view of the game. It's not the first time they have done it.

In a couple of expansions they'll squish it down to 60.

Haven't you heard? Removing player convenience is Blizzard's motto.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people that don't use it don't care, but higher FoV makes a massive difference to those of us who deal with motion sickness issues in video games. I think they assumed we'd get over losing it when they nixed the cvar in Legion, but many of us did not and will not.

Since I learned about the script to bring it back, it has been wonderful. I am going to be surly as fuck when they kill it again.

Blizzard likes to be unreasonably stubborn about the stupidest things. From their side, these seem like not a big deal, but they are actually very large quality of life improvements to many players, especially those with accessibility needs. If you don't like the disparity between people who knew the console command and people that didn't, maybe add the larger fov range to the interface slider.

As I said in response to the tweet, I know Blizzard will die on this hill because they never learn from their mistakes, but I really wish they'd pick their battles better. Keeping this doesn't affect anyone negatively, and is a huge positive for many.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

This has to be because of the top 100 sweatiest neckbeards as usual. God forbid the esports crowd get a competitive advantage, the motion sick can go fuck themselves is essentially what they're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I know people that don't use it don't care, but higher FoV makes a massive difference to those of us who deal with motion sickness issues in video games. I think they assumed we'd get over losing it when they nixed the cvar in Legion, but many of us did not and will not.

Since I learned about the script to bring it back, it has been wonderful. I am going to be surly as fuck when they kill it again.

Blizzard likes to be unreasonably stubborn about the stupidest things. From their side, these seem like not a big deal, but they are actually very large quality of life improvements to many players, especially those with accessibility needs. If you don't like the disparity between people who knew the console command and people that didn't, maybe add the larger fov range to the interface slider.

As I said in response to the tweet, I know Blizzard will die on this hill because they never learn from their mistakes, but I really wish they'd pick their battles better. Keeping this doesn't affect anyone negatively, and is a huge positive for many.
    I think their mentality on this is and always had been, that being able to see more on your screen than other players is objectively an "unfair advantage" and they don't want it to be the norm for players to be so zoomed out that they can barely see their character.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Source for this disgusting travesty?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    Source for this disgusting travesty?
    https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...93070614024194
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

ty, and fuck these so called "devs" jesus what is in their heads...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I think their mentality on this is and always had been, that being able to see more on your screen than other players is objectively an "unfair advantage"
    Well, yes, that is the reason they gave for making the change back in Legion. I'm not saying there isn't a logic behind their choice, but I absolutely stand by the fact that their approach to address the disparity is it unreasonable. If you want everyone to have the same view range, it is a much better solution to make it so other players have easy access to the option of an increased view, than it is to force the camera in for everyone, especially when low FoV is a pain point for people with sim sickness or certain visual processing issues. I agree, there shouldn't be a secret set of people who edit cvars so they get an advantage over players who aren't aware of the option, but that's why you put that shit in the interface options so everyone can change it as needed.

they don't want it to be the norm for players to be so zoomed out that they can barely see their character.
    This is just an arbitrary stance for them to take. When you're playing the game, you're only looking at your character as it is relative to other things in the environment anyway -- other mobs, other players, other spell effects. That you can't see your toon as well when zoomed out doesn't matter. If people play so zoomed out they start to have trouble identifying their character in relation to those things, the problem will self correct and people will start voluntarily zooming back in.

People still are free to zoom in on their models if they want, and they still see their character every time they interface with the paper doll, character screen, or armory. Being able to zoom out slightly doesn't impact our relationship with our characters in any significant or meaningful way.

120 FoV is not exactly some crazy high fishbubble range either. It's pretty close to someone's natural horizontal field of view.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2022-06-22 at 09:56 PM. Reason: i can't typingg

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is it "CREATES AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE IN PEE VEE PEE"

further proof of Pee Vee Pee ruining WoW /s
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Fun fact is that their camera handling is still so terrible that every bit of flexibility helps.
    I would not need zoom of 120 if my camera would not do bullshit things as soon as stand close to wall during a boss fight (Hi @Denathrius or @Opulence e.g.)

No one who's been around should be surprised by this. I sometimes wonder if the devs at blizzard actually play the game or if it's all a sham. I find it hard to believe the people who make the game are fine playing it with the same shitty camera issues we end up with over and over and over. Sanguine Depths is a nightmare, and they consistently make dungeons with shit flying around that blocks your camera (Boats on Xymox, Angels in SoA, even the giant beam of light on Jailer). Not to mention all the issues we end up with for being zoomed out slightly too far and dropping reticule abilities in trees, rafters, etc.

This.
    I will never understand how a company of all things can produce such petty stubborn stupidity.

You'd think that someone in that huge construct would bother slapping the guy who decided this.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Well, yes, that is the reason they gave for making the change back in Legion. I'm not saying there isn't a logic behind their choice, but I absolutely stand by the fact that their approach to address the disparity is it unreasonable. If you want everyone to have the same view range, it is a much better solution to make it so other players have easy access to the option of an increased view, than it is to force the camera in for everyone, especially when low FoV is a pain point for people with sim sickness or certain visual processing issues. I agree, there shouldn't be a secret set of people who edit cvars so they get an advantage over players who aren't aware of the option, but that's why you put that shit in the interface options so everyone can change it as needed.

This is just an arbitrary stance for them to take. When you're playing the game, you're only looking at your character as it is relative to other things in the environment anyway -- other mobs, other players, other spell effects. That you can't see your toon as well when zoomed out doesn't matter. If people play so zoomed out they start to have trouble identifying their character in relation to those things, the problem will self correct and people will start voluntarily zooming back in.

People still are free to zoom in on their models if they want, and they still see their character every time they interface with the paper doll, character screen, or armory. Being able to zoom out slightly doesn't impact our relationship with our characters in any significant or meaningful way.

120 FoV is not exactly some crazy high fishbubble range either. It's pretty close to someone's natural horizontal field of view.
    If FoV and not just zoom is an actual pain point for you, you could always get an ultrawide as WoW's FoV scales with the resolution width.

I used to run a triple monitor setup which gave me a ridiculously large FoV in WoW. But even the 32:9 ultrawide I'm playing on now feels like plenty of screen real estate for WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Sad. I really, really miss having a higher max camera distance and I hoped Blizzard had fixed their game. But alas...

It seems these days the only way for Blizzard to act on something is for wowhead to write a positive article about it so they can do the exact opposite.

That said, if any wowhead article writers are reading this here are some topic suggestions:

• Warlocks are now the most balanced DPS class in the game. The class is perfect and should not be changed in any way shape or form
    • Survival Hunters bring a lot of great utility to M+ dungeons and their kit is not in any way overpowered
    • Tyrannical is the most PuG-friendly affix ever designed, everybody loves it!
    • Necrotic, Sanguine and Spiteful are the most fun affixes for M+, new study shows
    • Blood DK representation in M+ is fine and their 4-piece Tier set is very average. Guardian Druids in needs of massive nerfs!

10+ Year Old Account
    If FoV and not just zoom is an actual pain point for you, you could always get an ultrawide as WoW's FoV scales with the resolution width.

I used to run a triple monitor setup which gave me a ridiculously large FoV in WoW. But even the 32:9 ultrawide I'm playing on now feels like plenty of screen real estate for WoW.
    My understanding is that it only scales up to a point, since the other crowd begging for this besides those of us who want it for accessibility reasons is people with ultrawides.

In any case, perhaps a useful suggestion for some but ultrawides are actually much worse for me personally. The more I have to move my eyes, the worse my sim sickness becomes. I already have issues with large screens and have to play some games in a smaller resolution window.

But if it does scale to a higher fov, then good to let people know for those who can use them (and afford them).

OR BLIZZARD COULD JUST FUCKING KEEP THIS IN SINCE IT'S ALREADY IN. /salt

| twitch | bsky
    |

I think their mentality on this is and always had been, that being able to see more on your screen than other players is objectively an "unfair advantage" and they don't want it to be the norm for players to be so zoomed out that they can barely see their character.
    This was why they reduced the "true" max range of the camera as well, right? Not the slider, but the commands to increase that rnage even further. I used to have it zoomed out pretty far, and it was frustrating when they changed it, but I understand their logic for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.