Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    People should stop assuming everyone is straight

    I am annoyed by people assuming that because i am a guy,i like girls.

    That isn't how the world works.

    A guy could be straight,bisexual or gay.

    https://www.theodysseyonline.com/sto...ryone-straight

    Assuming everyone is straight could be viewed as erasing LGB identities.

    People should be taught that not every guy is straight, they could be bisexual or gay.

  2. #2
    Yeah, sure.
    Whatever.

  3. #3
    Really surprised you actually thought a thread on sexuality was a good idea.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    I imagine that only comes up if the opposite sex hits on you....and let's be real no one cares

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Really surprised you actually thought a thread on sexuality was a good idea.

    I got triggered by someone who thought just because i am a guy, i like girls, when i'm bisexual.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I got triggered by someone who thought just because i am a guy, i like girls, when i'm bisexual.
    ....so he was right? I mean you're bi which means "Yes you like girls" and you got bent out of shape

    I'm not gonna lie i'm not really convinced you actually talk to people

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I am annoyed by people assuming that because i am a guy,i like girls.

    That isn't how the world works.

    A guy could be straight,bisexual or gay.

    https://www.theodysseyonline.com/sto...ryone-straight

    Assuming everyone is straight could be viewed as erasing LGB identities.

    People should be taught that not every guy is straight, they could be bisexual or gay.
    Could be, yes. Playing the odds, though, people will assume you're not. It's called a minority for a reason. You don't lose anything correcting peoples assumption if they were simply going with the most likely scenario.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ....so he was right? I mean you're bi which means "Yes you like girls" and you got bent out of shape

    I'm not gonna lie i'm not really convinced you actually talk to people
    I went out for walk irl today at a park beach.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I got triggered by someone who thought just because i am a guy, i like girls, when i'm bisexual.
    And instead of feeling complimented you were insulted.
    That makes sense...somehow.

  11. #11
    Some people feel that the Earth is flat. They're wrong too.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I went out for walk irl today at a park beach.
    ..what on earth does that have to do with anything?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I am annoyed by people assuming that because i am a guy,i like girls.

    That isn't how the world works.

    A guy could be straight,bisexual or gay.

    https://www.theodysseyonline.com/sto...ryone-straight

    Assuming everyone is straight could be viewed as erasing LGB identities.

    People should be taught that not every guy is straight, they could be bisexual or gay.
    We are also annoyed that you think we care, the world doesn't work like that.
    On top of that, it has nothing to do with "erasing LGB identities".
    People are not erasing vegan/vegetarians just because they start a conversation assuming that the person eats meat.

  14. #14
    Why is this in Politics?

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer Hansworst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Schiedam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,114
    Nice lifeblog post, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    That isn't how the world works.
    It's exactly how the world works. People make assumptions about other people all the time about all kinds of things...including sexuality.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Cerilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,190
    I'd rather people stop getting offended about everything.

  18. #18
    It'd be nice if you'd stop making silly topics that could easily just go to your twitter account instead.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    did you not read the comments on that?

    Lesbian here - No, it isnt offensive to assume a person is straight. Unless you make a big deal out of it when they correct you, or they make a big deal out of it when you're wrong, its fine. Most of us will be polite and probably a bit embarrassed to correct you, so a simple "Oh, okay sorry, I'll keep that in mind" before simply moving on with the conversation will do fine. It's a big relief when people are really chill about us correcting them. That being said, avoiding assumptions when possible may still be the best option, as it can be really anxiety inducing when people talk about relationships and are quick to think i have a husband and i have to do that sheepish "Um actually haha i like girls"
    and
    It's not the assumption of being straight that's wrong, it's the expectation of being straight.

    You should definitely assume. Your brain is a pattern matching machine and it's very good at assuming, you should use that to its full potential.

    But, when adolescents are only given the expectation of being straight and other possibilities are never discussed expect jokingly, that results in some unnecessary soul burden on them. It doesn't cost a lot of extra expenditure of us to leave more possibilities open in our discussions.
    and of course
    Personally as a bi person I am not offended if someone assumes I'm straight and honestly I think it's silly to get offended by such an innocent assumption. But, I do know people who are offended by this assumption and it's usually because they're annoyed that straight is the default. Honestly it's dumb if someone is offended by you assuming they're straight then they just need to suck it up. As long as you're not being homophobic or rude it's fine.
    thats like 3 of the top comments...

  20. #20
    Gender discussion is a forbidden topic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •