Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Is it time to end gear gatekeeping?

Gearing has become irrelevant in this game, at least in context to earlier expansions.
    Gear in the old days of classic, used to carry a gravitas and a sense of prestige.

Now gear is just something to be discarded with each new season.
    It is cheap, expendable, and is relatively easy to do for mythic raiders/plus'ers, and high end pvp'ers.

Because of this, I would assume that the majority of players in high end content are pursuing these goals because of the intrinsic fun involved in the activities, along with bonus titles and mounts.

My question is, does giving max ilvl gear to world/daily questers take away from the experience of high end players, or do they even care?

Quote Originally Posted by b1gh3x View Post
    Gearing has become irrelevant in this game, at least in context to earlier expansions.
    Gear in the old days of classic, used to carry a gravitas and a sense of prestige.

It is cheap, expendable, and is relatively easy to do for mythic raiders/plus'ers, and high end pvp'ers.

Because of this, I would assume that the majority of players in high end content are pursuing these goals because of the intrinsic fun involved in the activities, along with bonus titles and mounts.

My question is, does giving max ilvl gear to world/daily questers take away from the experience of high end players, or do they even care?
    This game becomes less and less RPGish. Because:
    1) Difficulty scaling
    2) Rewards scaling
    It's more like Diablo now and Diablo is more rogue-like, than RPG.

Only thing, that is still relevant now - is transmogs. Everything else is just time-gated crap, made for sub fee milking.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Max level gear for world quests would hurt nothing but the fragile egos of the "elite" that feel you need to "earn" the privilege to wear that gear, they seem to think everyone looks up to them because they no life dungeons on mythic, but reality is no one cares and no one ever will care what they have earned except their small group of fragile ego friends. I hope that answers your question.

I will assume though that one of the "elite" I was talking about will pretend to be a normal player and say they look up to those players but what can you do /shrug.

Gearing has become irrelevant in this game
    Quite the opposite.

Gear has never been MORE relevant. It's the primary driver of basically everything now, and the cause of a lot of problems because of it. Since it's the only progression system, it has to be attached to everything to offer worthwhile rewards; but if everything has the same reward basis, it quickly devolves into a race for efficiency where everything is measured by the same metric and whatever doesn't measure up is treated as irrelevant at best and obstructive at worst.

Yeah there's some cosmetic stuff left, too; but by and large it's all about gear.

We really need better horizontal progression systems, but WoW isn't quite built for that. Maybe not yet; who knows what DF will do in that respect. But I doubt this cart can be pulled out of the mud that is gear-based reward structures.

You just named the number one reason why i dont play retail. I am raiding SWP and we still do Grull runs for the DST trinket.

JUst to get you to know if case you never played tbc. T4 Kara/Mag/Grull, T5 SSC/TK, T6 BT/MH, ZA( catch up raid with items in the range of t5/t6) and finaly we have t6.5 SWP.
    We still have items from T4 that are good in SWP not BIS but very close to it.

I would rather have a system like this than a system like in retail. That means you could skip a pacth and still have gear to help out your guild. YOu could take a break but still have BIS in some slots of your gear making finding a guild easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna-the-Undying View Post
    I would rather have a system like this than a system like in retail. That means you could skip a pacth and still have gear to help out your guild. YOu could take a break but still have BIS in some slots of your gear making finding a guild easier.
    Yeah man, you found the solution, the whole game didnt change for exactly what you described, cause people hate going back to irrelevant content to unlock/gear new recruits, combined with guild poaching and whole destruction of guild after guild.

Playing the old version which is considered a joke after 15 years and claiming you know what you are talking about without even knowing jack shit about the game history really boosts your opinion.

Do you enjoy the fact you have 5ms, and 150 FPS and a 5 ability boss fight, that was designed with 2007 standards? Good for you, doesnt mean you are correct about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Game is all about gear chasing, it always was about gear chasing through raids, that shifted to other things like M+ and higher rated PvP to keep people playing cause its 2022 and not 2005 and the gaming standards have changed, it doesnt mean you are gonna slay 5 pigs and get the best weapon in the game cause you feel entitled to it.

If you arent playing the game to gear chase every patch, you are literally playing the wrong game and you are the problem, not the others, especially that the gear chasing was converted to easy mode-seasonal gameplay.

No logical human being cares about "prestige" or whatever other delusional excuses the bad players have on here to blame the better players, maybe when you are an immature 18 year old you think there is any prestige to pixels or titles like every player goes through cause of stupidity, but if you guys dont understand why raiding exists, you are really have no clue what game you are playing.

Or in easier words to understand, WoW is not a single player story game, or a story game, its a raiding simulator with 10 other things that were introduced to make more $, they arent the main content.

If you are not raiding, you are literally the jack ass in the situation, and Blizzard aint to blame, but its really hard for people to accept this part.
    Last edited by potis; 2022-06-25 at 07:49 AM.

Gear gatekeeping? With the current system, you can have a new alt from nothing to 265+ and 4set bonus in a few days, and that's enough to do almost everything.

Gatekeeping in m+? Make your own group.
    Gatekeeping in raid? Join a guild.

I really don't see a problem, gearing has never been easier in 17 years.

What I'm actually eager to see is if we will see gear evolve to use the new talent tree as relics were working during Legion.

We could end up having pieces of gear like bracers, belt and boots give a point in one multipoint talent. Or even having sets for these slots that could give you points in some big talents.

10+ Year Old Account

What they should do

Quest gear - > Crafted gear (1) / dungeon gear - > Upgraded crafted gear(2) / Heroic dungeon gear - > Upgraded crafted gear(3) / LFR - > Upgraded crafted gear(4, though limited to certain types (head/shoulder/chest/legs/gloves/cloaks/trinkets) / Normal raiding - > Heroic raiding - > Mythic+ (Should never exceed mythic raiding tier) - > Mythic Raiding.

Bonus rewards from a vault-like system should include a BoA item that can upgrade crafted gear, depending on the unlocking stage in the vault.

Crafted gear (1): Unlocked from the start of the profession.
    Crafted gear (2): Unlocked through questlines of the profession.
    Crafted gear (3): Unlocked from completing profession leveling.
    Crafted gear (4): Unlocked from reputation/factions.

The upgrade tokens should be able to be applied by a non-profession, where the one with the profession can make them and apply them, or sell them on the side, number (4) is one bought from the factions.

9.2 was a great development as world players can get 255 ilvl without actually having to do the raids or M+.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-06-25 at 08:53 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

3+ Year Old Account
    It's time to bring back titanforging & ap. Fuck raidlogging and waiting for weekly resets to keep progressing. LET ME GRIND!

Legion was peak WoW. Shadowlands was 5 steps backwards.

Remove gear from all drops, put it on vendors, make it so activities reward currency use currency to buy specific gear you want. Have everything fully accessible - mythic raid from day 1, +30 keys from day 1, rated pvp from day 1.

Promote PLAYING the game than playing the patch for 2 weeks every 6 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna-the-Undying View Post
    And conversely if you're just starting out, you have to do 3 tiers of raids to be caught up rather than just 1.
    I'm glad we don't have the TBC system

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    Max level gear for world quests would hurt nothing but the fragile egos of the "elite" that feel you need to "earn" the privilege to wear that gear, they seem to think everyone looks up to them because they no life dungeons on mythic, but reality is no one cares and no one ever will care what they have earned except their small group of fragile ego friends. I hope that answers your question.
    Your ego seems quite hurt over the fact that you cant reach the same level of gear as those people who are better at the game. You also seem to care a lot since them having better gear makes you so angry and insecure.

I am happy in my WQ shit gear and I have no problem that those people who are better players than you and me have better gear.
    Last edited by facefist; 2022-06-25 at 09:50 AM.

Imagine doing this when gear is the only progress you'll have at max level in Dragonflight - lol. They do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    As seen in previous discussions about this; yes, it takes away from some people because they're petty and have little else going in their life. It's not enough they have the best gear but they don't want others to have it or even look like them.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    As seen in previous discussions about this; yes, it takes away from some people because they're petty and have little else going in their life. It's not enough they have the best gear but they don't want others to have it or even look like them.
    I mean we have full heroic gear from dailies and weekly events... just remove the difficulties back to 2 normal and heroic if you wanna just gut progression for everyone but mythic raiders out of envy.

If it is cheap, expendable, and is relatively easy to do for mythic raiders/plus'ers, and high end pvp'ers - then why do you need world/daily quest max ilvl gear? go clear that mythic raid and m+, do some high end pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by facefist View Post
    Your ego seems quite hurt over the fact that you cant reach the same level of gear as those people who are better at the game. You also seem to care a lot since them having better gear makes you so angry and insecure.

I am happy in my WQ shit gear and I have no problem that those people who are better players than you and me have better gear.
    See I told you it would happen lmao.

Btw I don't have any problem with my gear, ihavent touched wow in about 6 months or so and don't intend on coming back for the trash next xpac so your "logic" fails here little guy. Nice try though but all you did was prove me right. There is always someone pretending to be a player in crap gear that's happy, its like flies on shit.

I'll predict the next rant will be "you aren't even playing the game so why do you care about gear" lmao
    Last edited by Gamingsince1981; 2022-06-25 at 11:25 AM.

What difference does it make to you if you clear the latest raid on normal as opposed to mythic?

If it's about the challenge, shouldn't it be harder to get the gear you need in order to clear mythic then?

If you can just easily get the gear required, then what's the difference between that and just having a cheat button that says "make me strong" in order to clear mythic more easily. Wouldn't that be the same experience as just clearing normal anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    See I told you it would happen lmao.

Btw I don't have any problem with my gear, ihavent touched wow in about 6 months or so and don't intend on coming back for the trash next xpac so your "logic" fails here little guy. Nice try though but all you did was prove me right. There is always someone pretending to be a player in crap gear that's happy, its like flies on shit.

I'll predict the next rant will be "you aren't even playing the game so why do you care about gear" lmao
    I knew you would start defending your insecurity by trying to attack me personally. Thanks for proving your insecurity over video game gear lmao