Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Opinion: Do a Disney

    Blizzard should do what Disney did and restart Canon.

    Set a point in time: The end of Warcraft 3.

    Institute new rules on lore creation:

    1. Lore Department is set up/restructured to write Warcraft stories. Main game storyline is handled here, and some extended universe stories.

    2. Create an expansive EU. EU can be used for minor gameplay features later on such as when new towns need to be added, or a leveling monster needs creating.

    3. Gameplay follows lore except on crucial matters. This enforces RPG elements as much as possible.

    4. Main storyline is always featured in game. Even good lore ideas in the "bad lore" era of the game seemed like dumb decisions because this was all esoteric and hidden from the main game.

    5. Systematize principles for lore and aesthetics creation. These rules are: The RTS series is Source. Lore and Aesthetics expand on Source. L&A must be original, yet must be inspired. Player Reception is gold, Player Foresight is horrible.

    6. World building comes on equal footing. Its important to make the illusion of reality as strong as possible while still respecting the fantasy setting.

    7. Retcons exist only when an oversight or mistake has been made. They do not exist to push new changes. If major changes are desired, new material must be written to explain the changes that is consistent. For example, WC3 and Vanilla Paladins were specifically members of the Silver Hand. If you desire a Horde Blood Elf Paladins under these rules, you have to create a new reason other than Blood Knights. Yes they were cool, but they broke a lot of story.

    Players will get the better lore they wanted, Blizzard gets a whole new income stream.

  2. #2
    So, basically WoW 2.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    So, basically WoW 2.
    Yea
    Sounds like a familiar conversation.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,598
    We'd need a new lead for that, it doesn't seem like Ion would embrace imbalanced between classes due to RPG reasons.

    Current devs are obsessed with competition, or maybe its an American thing idk.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent088 View Post
    Blizzard should do what Disney did and restart Canon.

    Set a point in time: The end of Warcraft 3.

    Institute new rules on lore creation:

    1. Lore Department is set up/restructured to write Warcraft stories. Main game storyline is handled here, and some extended universe stories.

    2. Create an expansive EU. EU can be used for minor gameplay features later on such as when new towns need to be added, or a leveling monster needs creating.

    3. Gameplay follows lore except on crucial matters. This enforces RPG elements as much as possible.

    4. Main storyline is always featured in game. Even good lore ideas in the "bad lore" era of the game seemed like dumb decisions because this was all esoteric and hidden from the main game.

    5. Systematize principles for lore and aesthetics creation. These rules are: The RTS series is Source. Lore and Aesthetics expand on Source. L&A must be original, yet must be inspired. Player Reception is gold, Player Foresight is horrible.

    6. World building comes on equal footing. Its important to make the illusion of reality as strong as possible while still respecting the fantasy setting.

    7. Retcons exist only when an oversight or mistake has been made. They do not exist to push new changes. If major changes are desired, new material must be written to explain the changes that is consistent. For example, WC3 and Vanilla Paladins were specifically members of the Silver Hand. If you desire a Horde Blood Elf Paladins under these rules, you have to create a new reason other than Blood Knights. Yes they were cool, but they broke a lot of story.

    Players will get the better lore they wanted, Blizzard gets a whole new income stream.
    " Retcons exist only when an oversight or mistake has been made. They do not exist to push new changes." You say as you push for retconning the entire story.

    Including most of our playable races and several playable classes. What would happen to them?

    I don't know why people even bother proposing such unrealistic ideas.

    Time skip into WoW 2 or a Warcraft 5 RTS would be more likely if they really wanted to do something grand-scale.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2022-06-25 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Sylvanas will just give her own head to Tyrande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

  6. #6
    Burn the old shit to the ground and rewrite it all.

  7. #7
    Oh jeeze, it's this topic again.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent088 View Post
    Blizzard should do what Disney did and restart Canon.

    Set a point in time: The end of Warcraft 3.

    Institute new rules on lore creation:

    1. Lore Department is set up/restructured to write Warcraft stories. Main game storyline is handled here, and some extended universe stories.

    2. Create an expansive EU. EU can be used for minor gameplay features later on such as when new towns need to be added, or a leveling monster needs creating.

    3. Gameplay follows lore except on crucial matters. This enforces RPG elements as much as possible.

    4. Main storyline is always featured in game. Even good lore ideas in the "bad lore" era of the game seemed like dumb decisions because this was all esoteric and hidden from the main game.

    5. Systematize principles for lore and aesthetics creation. These rules are: The RTS series is Source. Lore and Aesthetics expand on Source. L&A must be original, yet must be inspired. Player Reception is gold, Player Foresight is horrible.

    6. World building comes on equal footing. Its important to make the illusion of reality as strong as possible while still respecting the fantasy setting.

    7. Retcons exist only when an oversight or mistake has been made. They do not exist to push new changes. If major changes are desired, new material must be written to explain the changes that is consistent. For example, WC3 and Vanilla Paladins were specifically members of the Silver Hand. If you desire a Horde Blood Elf Paladins under these rules, you have to create a new reason other than Blood Knights. Yes they were cool, but they broke a lot of story.

    Players will get the better lore they wanted, Blizzard gets a whole new income stream.
    LOL! Just LOL!

    Did you ever took a look at the current dev team? They aren’t even able to do a 10th of that.

    When MS takes over…
    and fire half the peoples…
    and install a new team with new rules and philosophies…
    and increase the budget…
    THEN this could be a possibility…
    maybe.

    With the current ATVI Blizzard? No. Fukin. Way.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    " Retcons exist only when an oversight or mistake has been made. They do not exist to push new changes." You say as you push for retconning the entire story.

    Including most of our playable races and several playable classes. What would happen to them?

    I don't know why people even bother proposing such unrealistic ideas.

    Time skip into WoW 2 or a Warcraft 5 RTS would be more likely if they really wanted to do something grand-scale.
    The last statement above hits the nail.

  9. #9
    WoW 2 gets created on the condition that the tinkerer and necromancer dont get added.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    WoW 2 gets created on the condition that the tinkerer and necromancer dont get added.
    I've been rewriting a lot of stuff myself. My notes on both classes are sketchy. But I had an idea for an outlier necromancer class that'd branch out from the Unholy dk spec.

  11. #11
    Master of the Void The Dark One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Void
    Posts
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    WoW 2 gets created on the condition that the tinkerer and necromancer dont get added.
    Seconded.

    On topic. I have no strong feelings on this matter, because I don't play the game for lore.
    Fundamental civil rights are only "political" if you're trying to take them away from people.

  12. #12
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,214
    If your storytelling capabilities have become so abysmal that people are demanding a reboot, then it's time to close up shop and quietly bow out with what little dignity you have left, because the storytelling sure as hell isn't going to improve.

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,207
    WoW was at its best when it was about fighting some big bad with the alliance and horde gnashing at one another until inevitably coming together to stop the big evil.

    Not lore based off of singular character drama, because then the plot just becomes about that character... and because we, the players, can't kill the character until the plot prescribes it, they get bounced along helped by plot armor and convenience an annoying number of times. Look no further than Sylvanas, basically taking up a huge chunk of WoW lore for the past three expansions without ever being particularly interesting or deep or compelling, and Anduin basically becoming her "foil" for no good reason, because his initial character motivations had nothing to do with Sylvanas whatsoever. I lost track over the number of "we've cornered sylvanas, it's time to put a stop to her plan once and for all," do everything the quests asks, and then she escapes in some cutscene to pester us another day while our allies say "she may have escaped, but we'll stop her next time!" If you told me there were a dozen quest chains that culminated in that exact scenario over the past three expansions, I'd say you were aiming a bit low.

    I really don't appreciate the unnecessary monkeying with Warcraft 3 lore re: the dreadlords and the jailer's supposed "master plan" tinting basically all of WoW lore but... it is what it is. Better they write new stories going forward than trying to endlessly rehash old ones to "get it right," with the new stories the much more tried-and-true "big familiar baddy we fight."

    Focus on the big baddy, make it clear what they're doing, and have us fight them, not some strung-along melodramatic pawn of theirs. It probably didn't help that shadowlands was a rather out-there (not far enough out-there conceptually for me, but that's another discussion) plan with a villain we knew nothing about prior and whose only ties to prior lore were things it heavily retconned or made up, so that tie to the main bad guy was never there and we had to focus on vague sylvanas nonsense and anduin being roped into the plot.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  14. #14
    Over 9000! Kithelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    9,092
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    WoW 2 gets created on the condition that the tinkerer and necromancer dont get added.
    Someone sour they're never gonna get dark ranger?

  15. #15
    The one class I never want see is bard. The way players used that class in EQ has left me with nothing but bitter loathing for it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Someone sour they're never gonna get dark ranger?
    Nope, I just forgot to add dark ranger to my wow 2 terms and conditions. Thanks for reminding me.

    WoW 2 gets created on the condition that the tinkerer, necromancer, and dark ranger dont get added.

  17. #17
    I am Murloc! A Chozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Eorzea
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Oh jeeze, it's this topic again.
    Happens every time an expansion's story is bad.

    Every expansion's story has been bad, especially the very first expansion's.

    We will get these threads forever.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Nope, I just forgot to add dark ranger to my wow 2 terms and conditions. Thanks for reminding me.

    WoW 2 gets created on the condition that the tinkerer, necromancer, and dark ranger dont get added.
    I would add Bard as well!

  19. #19
    They don't need to do anything, but progress the story.

    The Shadowlands arc is over, now they have an opportunity to reset the palate with DF and prepare for Void Lords or some such arc.

    Last thing I want is them to walk back on everything done over last decade.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  20. #20
    The second WoW reboots, is the second I leave it behind. It would be the effective death of everything I've immersed myself in since the game launched.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •