Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Tell me you don't actually follow policies without telling me you don't follow politics.
    When someone says "both sides" what I hear is "which matters more; the freedom to live an authentic life, or the freedom to crush degenerates under the heel of a jackboot?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Is American politics even about right or left anymore? Feels more like cultural got you moments that pretend to lean on one side or the other but either really doesn't do anything besides more money for guns and bombs and excuses or inaction for pretty much anything else.
    American politics is a dispute between two rightwing parties, with one being totally unhinged, while the other is barely acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler Voltin View Post
    if that is all you have to say then move on with your life.
    Same to you buddy. Why are you even participating in a conversation you clearly don't care about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    When someone says "both sides" what I hear is "which matters more; the freedom to live an authentic life, or the freedom to crush degenerates under the heel of a jackboot?"
    What I hear is "I'm to lazy to actually educate myself but I want to make myself appear edgy and cool"
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

As someone who used to consider themself Republican who now considers himself 100% Liberal, there is no "both sides". There could be an argument made for "both sides" prior to 2016 but 2016 was the clear turning point, despite the fact that Republicans had been sliding in that direction for a long time. Donald and his antics were the eventual endgame of the Republicans but they wanted a slower slide into that bullshit. They wanted us, the frogs, to slowly boil in the pot and the American people WERE doing just that until 2016 when Donald said fuck it and just set the whole house on fire.

"Both side" argument is for grifters or people that dont actually do research and pretend they are impartial: you arent impartial, you are just ignornant

America has two pro corportation parties. One of those is eviler than the other. The less evil one tries to pass bills but they get blocked by Senate which every state has same number of despite representation, and filibuster rule allows an absolute minority to block anything from being done.

But "both sides", smh

“Civillians shouldn’t have guns.”

- “but what if we’re invaded by a hostile nation?! Look at Ukraine!”

“If the USA is attacked by a hostile nation, nukes will end the conflict tout suite, not your AR-15. Also, the USA hasn’t been under attack since Pearl Harbour, and there’s no indication whatsoever anyone will even think about invading.”

- “what about if we need to defend ourselves against an unjust government?”

“You will face a professional military. Your guns won’t mean shit.”

- “but… but…”

“Shutup, go get a big mac and get yourself a nice air rifle to play with.”

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The Roe v Wade stuff? Look, on a purely PERSONAL level, I don't like abortion; I think it sucks that anyone even has to CONSIDER it. But that's not my choice to make. That's what "Liberty" actually is; being able to make choices for your life. Even if I don't agree with them.
    So you morally object to the idea that people don't give up their bodily ressources to something that can potentially grow into a human being which the person in question don't wish association in any shape or form with? On this basis, I would assume that you are regularily donating bone marrow and blood and are willing to donate even a kidney or part of your liver to a person you don't want to be associated with, because they happen to need it to survive?

If you aren't doing that, than your moral opposition to abortion reeks misoginy.

But then on the other side of the coin, there's all this shit about gun laws. The Second Amendment exists quite specifically to give the common citizen SOME means of protecting themselves against government tyranny. And everyone likes to be all snide like "what, do you really think you're going to stand up against the US army?", but then look at the fucking Ukraine situation. They're literally requesting Americans to send them guns. And let's be frank; shit got SUPER FUCKING SCARY last year leading up to Biden finally taking office. I legitimately worried that Trump wasn't going to concede the election, and that he was going to try to call on the Marine Corps to defend him. That's how crazy things have been lately. So... yeah, I'm not exactly brimming with confidence that "everyone in the government is my friend".
    You know that in this case, private armed militias of fascist would have been more likely to defend Trump through violent force?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That may be what "liberty" is, but that's not what "libertarians" in the States are. More often than not, they're just conservatives embarrassed to use the label.
    Aren't they actually usually more fascist afraid to use that label if they don't happen to be pedophiles who are all about removing age of consent and incelt laws?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler Voltin View Post
    american politic is simple Left vs Right. there is no middle ground. both sides are greedy.

if they actually cared about the people instead of money and being correct, a lot of things could have gotten done by now.
    Its center-right vs far-right/fascism usually, you americans just have screwed up definitions of politics that don't apply to the rest of the civilized and developing world. I mean, you think state-provided healthcare is marxism when it was actually first implemented by the right hand man of the literal german kaiser.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    What I hear is "I'm to lazy to actually educate myself but I want to make myself appear edgy and cool"
    I mean, under the standarts of the entire developed world and most of the developing world, the republicans would count as a theocratic fascist party. Sorry that americans are a bunch of cultureless savages who destroyed any traces of enlightened european culture they brought along while also commiting genocide on much more advanced cultures than they have know?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    "Both side" argument is for grifters or people that dont actually do research and pretend they are impartial: you arent impartial, you are just ignornant

America has two pro corportation parties. One of those is eviler than the other. The less evil one tries to pass bills but they get blocked by Senate which every state has same number of despite representation, and filibuster rule allows an absolute minority to block anything from being done.

But "both sides", smh
    Both Sides arguments are usually used by fascists, who try to deflect.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    I mean, under the standarts of the entire developed world and most of the developing world, the republicans would count as a theocratic fascist party. Sorry that americans are a bunch of cultureless savages who destroyed any traces of enlightened european culture they brought along while also commiting genocide on much more advanced cultures than they have know?
    You know it was "enlightened Europeans" that were committing genocide on the native population of the America's right? It was also "enlightened Europeans" that were committing genocide on the Jewish population.

The US has enough bad shit it's done without you having to re-write the early history of the America's before the USA even existed as a concept.

5+ Year Old Account
    Since this thread is just a hodgepodge of several current topics, it'll be closed and people can continue discussion where appropriate.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."