Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The topic title doesn't make sense. How can you say it is good, or bad, when it hasn't even been released yet?

7+ Year Old Account
    The fact that it seems like the most boring expansion ever might be a good thing as crazy as that sounds.

It sounds boring because there no borrowed power(which is a good thing). Me being able to login and know a clear cut path to progression without extra BS i have to do sounds like a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    The topic title doesn't make sense. How can you say it is good, or bad, when it hasn't even been released yet?
    Because the quality of the content being produced is irrelevant. They are actively rallying the troops to storm out in full force, desperately searching for the next buzz phrase to latch onto for their next battle cry of hate.

You will know when you see it too. TheY wIlL tYpE iTlIkE ThiS

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    Real question - What is the benefit of player houses or guild halls, other than that people want it? Like, what's the game play/experience value?
    Because people like playing with dolls.
    Doesn't matter if its Barbie, G.I. Joe or the Sims. People enjoy dressing their characters in cloths and building their dream house.
    The benefit of player housing is the hundreds of hours players spend collecting carpets and furniture to decorate their house with. Which is what Blizzard wants aswell, players spending time in game paying a sub.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I’m honestly not impressed. Compare what wow is putting out to what ff14 and eso is, and it’s laughable. Eso and ff14 drop more per patch than WoW does with a new expac it feels like.

Should have had 3 new classes. 5 new races. Complete profession overhauls. Morality system that allows people to be good or evil. Player housing, etc

At this point, wow even feels behind swtor in terms of quality new content and swtor isn’t exactly doing hot since 7.0

The team leading wow cannot fix it, they are the ones who have dismantled it

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone wants player housing. It’s 15 years overdue. Literally, every other mmorpg has housing. All the way from EverQuest to ff14/eso… housing and guild halls are a key part of any mmorpg
    I don't want player housing. In a game like WoW it doesn't serve any purpose. Based on Wildstar and FF14 it's pointless waste of resources. Only good housing I've seen was in Ultima Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    I don't want player housing. In a game like WoW it doesn't serve any purpose. Based on Wildstar and FF14 it's pointless waste of resources. Only good housing I've seen was in Ultima Online.
    Not my cup of either, but people go bonkers in FF for customizations. There are very sizeable portion of the playerbase who basically play mostly for the cosmetics. It also feeds into profession system and optional content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    Not my cup of either, but people go bonkers in FF for customizations. There are very sizeable portion of the playerbase who basically play mostly for the cosmetics. It also feeds into profession system and optional content.
    Sure, and I'm sure I would collect those too, to some degree at least. But my biggest problem is the instanced nature of it, in these "small world" MMO's. Wildstar has been the worst, even if people praised it. It was just a lonely floating island of nothing in the vast void of nothingness. At least FF14 houses are in suburbs and such, but still.

UO housing was great, because you could actually build a house almost anywhere, it was not instanced in any way and everyone could see your house. Sure these I would go mad if I still played it and someone would break in to my house and steal my stuff, but still.

UO housing was great, because you could actually build a house almost anywhere, it was not instanced in any way and everyone could see your house. Sure these I would go mad if I still played it and someone would break in to my house and steal my stuff, but still.
    Many features work totally fine in a small setting full of dedicated people super into the experience.

Yet fail HORRIFICALLY in a giant setting full of mainstream gamer dudes one step away from going full 4chan at the best of times.

You could not have these things in games like WoW. Period.

Sure, and I'm sure I would collect those too, to some degree at least. But my biggest problem is the instanced nature of it, in these "small world" MMO's. Wildstar has been the worst, even if people praised it. It was just a lonely floating island of nothing in the vast void of nothingness. At least FF14 houses are in suburbs and such, but still.

New world had an interesting concept with their player housing. You would collect things and choose to display them and everything displayed had a score value attached to it. Whichever house had the highest display value would be the house shown in the game world. In WoW this would probably mean every tier/season having higher display values on loot than the previous and the most prestigous house would be some guy showing a combination of the highest rewards from m+/arena/raiding for the current season, but I thought it was interesting in NW at least.

Edit: The most important things to recognize is that housing is a system that can be added to the game that would be able to be carried forward to new expansions. You could have armor stands where you display collected transmogs. Have your collected pets run around the house. Have followers from previous expansions visit/do cleaning animations/etc. It could tie into the entire game for those interested in the collection aspects and also give cool rewards to people getting things like AOTC achievements where you display some dragon's head or the Jailer's weapon.
    Last edited by Deferionus; 2022-08-02 at 12:52 PM.

I just think it needs more content. It feels very rushed and shadowlands and bfa didn't exactly build trust.

I don't get why ppl keep using housing as a pro for FFXIV, it's one of the worst systems in the game. They added an entire new housing zone and still couldn't even do it right, there's 0 reason why FC/Players should have to share housing areas. On my server FC housing isn't even 50% used, meanwhile the only 4 available single plots each have over 200bids on them at the moment.
    Which means your option is to either not get a house, or leave your FC to make your own personal FC just to get a plot. Considering the game's been out for as long as it has it's pretty sad they haven't rectified this situation and they never will because YoshiP himself said they want housing to feel like it does in the real world where not everyone can own a house.... the difference is that in the real world people don't own houses cause they can't afford it not because there's no land to buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Many features work totally fine in a small setting full of dedicated people super into the experience.

Yet fail HORRIFICALLY in a giant setting full of mainstream gamer dudes one step away from going full 4chan at the best of times.

You could not have these things in games like WoW. Period.
    Of course not, if I made you believe I wan't UO style housing in WoW, I didn't mean it. And I don't care about instanced housing. That's why I don't need housing in WoW, but won't bitch about it if it comes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deferionus View Post
    Edit: The most important things to recognize is that housing is a system that can be added to the game that would be able to be carried forward to new expansions. You could have armor stands where you display collected transmogs. Have your collected pets run around the house. Have followers from previous expansions visit/do cleaning animations/etc. It could tie into the entire game for those interested in the collection aspects and also give cool rewards to people getting things like AOTC achievements where you display some dragon's head or the Jailer's weapon.
    I know WoW would be an excellent base for a housing system; add all kinds of themed decorational stuff that can be added to ALL raids and dungeons since Vanilla, based on the theme of the expansion/raid/dungeon, whatever. But it's also enough work that I bet if housing ever happens, it won't be that extensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    I don't get why ppl keep using housing as a pro for FFXIV, it's one of the worst systems in the game. They added an entire new housing zone and still couldn't even do it right, there's 0 reason why FC/Players should have to share housing areas. On my server FC housing isn't even 50% used, meanwhile the only 4 available single plots each have over 200bids on them at the moment.
    Which means your option is to either not get a house, or leave your FC to make your own personal FC just to get a plot. Considering the game's been out for as long as it has it's pretty sad they haven't rectified this situation and they never will because YoshiP himself said they want housing to feel like it does in the real world where not everyone can own a house.... the difference is that in the real world people don't own houses cause they can't afford it not because there's no land to buy.
    And then again a housing system that not everyone can use, doesn't fit a game like WoW at all. It's like saying "yea this raid boss has been killed enough this week, you can't kill it anymore, better luck next week/month". If housing was to exist in WoW it would have to be possibly available for everyone in some form.

I'll never understand why people are against housing. Surely there is more to this game than making your numbers go up every week?

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    You can argue it opens up new options for achievements that offer cosmetic rewards but for the most art it's a rather minor game play element.

Had the same issue in guild wars the guild islands looked cool but really were never used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Because people like playing with dolls.
    Doesn't matter if its Barbie, G.I. Joe or the Sims. People enjoy dressing their characters in cloths and building their dream house.
    The benefit of player housing is the hundreds of hours players spend collecting carpets and furniture to decorate their house with. Which is what Blizzard wants aswell, players spending time in game paying a sub.
    Right, exactly. I'm fine if guild housing/player housing is added, but it won't add much or anything to MY gameplay experience and it won't affect the traditional core elements of the game - Raids, Dungeons, Questing, PVP...It's just a place to hang out and look at stuff. Fine, fine, but I can't imagine this feature would save a failing game (not that I believe wow is failing) and it own't save most people who are otherwise bored with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I'll never understand why people are against housing. Surely there is more to this game than making your numbers go up every week?
    I don't think most people are AGAINST housing, conceptually. I could be projecting but I think most people who don't want Blizz to spend time on player housing believe that time will come from the parts of the game that are integral to the game, like those I mentioned above. It's a fine feature to have, sure, but not at the expense of core gameplay elements. It's a fine feature to have, but it wouldn't change the OPs mind that "Dragonflight is the most boring expansion ever..."
    Last edited by Thirtyrock; 2022-08-02 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    Right, exactly. I'm fine if guild housing/player housing is added, but it won't add much or anything to MY gameplay experience and it won't affect the traditional core elements of the game - Raids, Dungeons, Questing, PVP...It's just a place to hang out and look at stuff. Fine, fine, but I can't imagine this feature would save a failing game (not that I believe wow is failing) and it own't save most people who are otherwise bored with the game.

I don't think most people are AGAINST housing, conceptually. I could be projecting but I think most people who don't want Blizz to spend time on player housing believe that time will come from the parts of the game that are integral to the game, like those I mentioned above. It's a fine feature to have, sure, but not at the expense of core gameplay elements. It's a fine feature to have, but it wouldn't change the OPs mind that "Dragonflight is the most boring expansion ever..."
    It will actually affect core elements of the game as a lot of resources have to be allocated for this project. Ion even said in a recent interview that they aren't necessarily opposed to housing but it will take several expansions to develop such a feature as it is technically very difficult and thus costs a lot of resources. Garrisons is basically a very very basic form of housing and it literally cost blizzard a raid tier.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Mostly because they're worried about resource allocation. Yes it's not always the same team working on things and getting A doesn't always mean not getting B, but a project of that magnitude is sure to take away from SOMETHING. And people aren't sure that what they get for that trade-off is something they want.

Partly it's the Garrison's fault. People expected that to be way more than it was, thinking they'd get to build their own outpost rather than have a fixed one with 3 open slots they can fill with random shit. They're afraid housing would be more of that, and decorating a table in an otherwise identical clone of the same building everyone else has is not something they want dev time invested in.

What housing would ACTUALLY be like if implemented no one knows. But WoW is an ancient game at this point, and there's bound to be limitations on what you can do. That gives a lot of people pause.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Mostly because they're worried about resource allocation. Yes it's not always the same team working on things and getting A doesn't always mean not getting B, but a project of that magnitude is sure to take away from SOMETHING. And people aren't sure that what they get for that trade-off is something they want.

Partly it's the Garrison's fault. People expected that to be way more than it was, thinking they'd get to build their own outpost rather than have a fixed one with 3 open slots they can fill with random shit. They're afraid housing would be more of that, and decorating a table in an otherwise identical clone of the same building everyone else has is not something they want dev time invested in.

What housing would ACTUALLY be like if implemented no one knows. But WoW is an ancient game at this point, and there's bound to be limitations on what you can do. That gives a lot of people pause.
    It would take a massive amount of models . Most of wows object are tied to a certain theme and for old items even lighting. It would take a lot of time to clean them up to an acceptable standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    It would take a massive amount of models . Most of wows object are tied to a certain theme and for old items even lighting. It would take a lot of time to clean them up to an acceptable standard.
    Oh absolutely, it'd be a colossal task just from the problems we KNOW OF, let alone the under-the-hood issues we aren't actually privy to.

And for that to be a worthwhile undertaking, it'd likely have to deliver something they know they can't actually deliver. So that's why they're not doing it.

I mean, using the same logic, why would they ever do a world revamp? If wow can't devote enough resources to things that matter and can only make small incremental changes to existing systems, then maybe that should be cause for concern?

All the content that "matters" (i.e., raids / dungeons) is so on rails these days, an AI could create it (and it seems like they do given how soulless the instanced content has been since BFA). Since they have separate teams on those, why not just devote all the teams that make all the useless fluff content at max level like world quests, sandbox zones, etc. to things that would be more impactful and bring wow into the 2020s, like housing?