Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't think the expansion needs a bunch of new features, but it needs to really rock the features it has. For the most part DF feels that way.

The main issue i have is the talents trees, and UI update are system updates. Even if you don't buy the expansion, you will get these features. To be frank these updates are core system updates which should be support by our sub fee. On top of that the wider pool of M+ dungeons are just better implementation of existing content.

Also, Blizz is incredibly notorious for not following up on its features/products and leaving them to die. If they do nothing to merge flying and dragonflying, then we'll have a big issue come next expansion when they need to decide if they'll make all our old mounts or the 5 dragonflying mounts obsolete. I'm expecting another MoP->WoD, Legion->BFA kinda of scenario where we'll have great bones, but they'll just tank it because of poor follow through.

Yeah I disagree, I think Dragonlight does have "lack" something brand new for us to try out like Torghast, Warfronts, or Islands. Frankly though, this is GOOD! Systems like these ended up being a hinderance on the core gameplay loop and wasted future dev team as the team looked for ways to tweak or fix them. Going into Dragonflight with core changes like Talents and UI, with a new big feature being entirely designed without power in mind, just fun, should hopefully aid the devs in following up the expansion with new content updates faster!

As I see it we have great new zones, improved world content, freshening up M+, a fun looking new raid, and more to look forward to, an expansion that is a fresh injection of new content, it is more WoW, not a new game, and I think that's great.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    How the hell are you "too old" for retail? Like that doesn't even make any sense.
    I think they mean they already " beat" the game. I know I would love to enjoy classic but when I tried I just had a nagging feeling of " I've done this before".

I'm so not hyped for Dragonflight. I wasn't hyped for Shadowlands either, but held out hope for it in a corner of my heart. Burnt again.

This will be the first time in 17 years that I will not be playing an expansion on launch day. I just don't care anymore until proven otherwise.

The basic formula for WoW is not getting any innovation, so it will end up being the same as Slands and BfA after the initial expansion rush wears off. Two weeks of fun with all the overengineered levelling content that is ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT once you've done it once. Yeah I'll pass.

As far as I am concerned I am glad they are refocusing in fixing base systems and mechanics rather than working overtime to introduce yet another fire and forget feature that'll never have long term impact but will be hell to balance around in the time it's relevant. Hopefully the rework and refocus is just thorough enough to be meaningful change to build onto.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Never knew WoW wasn't an RPG before MoP! Good to know.
    FOMO is real ever since... ouhm... om... Legion? Mage Tower, Artifact skins... Now seasonal keystonemaster mounts. One would argue the whole m+ gameplay loop is a fomo system itself.
    5 months after WoW released they made about a dozen mounts no long available. Claiming FOMO started in legion is willfully ignoring the 11 previous years that WoW was out.

What does DF does not have in terms of content that early expansions had? Do you really miss and need ap grind that much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    What does DF does not have in terms of content that early expansions had? Do you really miss and need ap grind that much?
    I think the main issue people are struggling with is that DF doesn't have a central gimmick the expansion is themed around - as in the manner that Legion has Artifact weapons, or BfA had the Heart of Azeroth, etc. Instead, DF basically just offers up basic WoW-style gameplay without any kind of subgame to speak of. Thus far from my experiences in the Alpha/Beta it feels a lot more like TBC or WotLK in terms of offerings than anything else. It's really just meat and potatoes WoW content: questing, leveling, professions, reputation, end-game quests/dailies/WQs, and obviously a lot of dungeons and raiding. Dragonriding is more a feature of play than a central gimmick, not unlike regular flying when introduced in TBC (albeit you get it at the start in DF and not max-level like TBC).

From a gimmicky alternative power perspective, I could see where an argument might be made for DF being "boring" - it's just WoW without frills, really; kind of a return to form. If you were a big fan of those centralized alternative power systems, you may be put out by their absence here. But if you just like basic WoW centered around a general theme (in this case dragons, the elements, and exploration of new lands) then you'll probably like DF just fine.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It started out looking good, but they keep making beta changes that more and more are making it look like a raid or die, but also nothing else to do but raid log expansion. I'm not surprised at all because it seems like that's what the WoW devs like the most, just logging in to raid and that's it. But like, other people also play this game, and I have no idea why Blizzard keeps designing their game so people want to play it less, seems kinda bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    It started out looking good, but they keep making beta changes that more and more are making it look like a raid or die, but also nothing else to do but raid log expansion. I'm not surprised at all because it seems like that's what the WoW devs like the most, just logging in to raid and that's it. But like, other people also play this game, and I have no idea why Blizzard keeps designing their game so people want to play it less, seems kinda bad.
    The problem comes with giving any alternative power gains that are not raiding since the raiding populace would force their members to partake in it regardless if they enjoy it or not, which is a prime reason why i refuse to raid outside of a pug window. Another aspect they is they want everyone to only play WoW, how about they come out and encourage taking a break similar to how FF14 said of its players? I wonder if the marketing department would lose their fucking minds over a statement like that?

I would raid when i felt like it if the raiding population was not so min/max minded along with no freedom of choice plus they would have to be willing to deal with someone who only tanks who could not show up for a few weeks without notice. Hell my life is not even that busy, i work 9-5 for an accounting firm but if i want to go watch 7s or go out with mates or hell just watch a movie i should not feel any repercussions regarding not being " on time " for a leisurely activity. Design the game to be more of a lobby based one instead of some long form months on end dogshit. I tend to think they are stuck in the past or to conservative and not willing to take some make or break chances either way it matters not much to me as its the best time to be alive for video games in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    And how this is any different than 9.1.5 +? Do you want Anima cosmetics again? I'm sure Blizzard will gladly add those again if people ask.

But if this is what you want...

... then I hope you find something else to play since even Vanilla was more casual and fun to play than the LEGION-BFA-SL trio.

I mean, there's clearly a middle ground between nothing to do but raid, and the absurdity of Systemlands. We don't have to have one or the other, we could maybe have something in between. Stuff for people who don't raid, stuff for people who do raid to have to do outside of raids, stuff to do for everyone so everyone is playing and enjoying the game.

I'll play through it, but I highly doubt I'll play more than the first month.

WoW is looking to continue to be a huge disappointment and missed opportunity in my eyes.

Dragonflight is looking to continue to primarily just be another glorified dungeon/raid lobby game w/ a req sub to play that makes zero sense to me.

Also just FYI the WoW community gave them more money for patch 9.1 and 9.2 than the entire LOTR trilogy costs to make. Makes you wonder where all the money really goes.

Seems like a pretty good expansion to me. Covenant-style renown system without being locked to just a quarter of the experience. Dragon races. Crafting revamp. No AP grinds. Most of the player power locked behind one system (talents) instead of multiple (covenant abilities, soulbinds, legendaries). Added progression to M+. The only thing I'm really sad about is the lack of any mission table system in this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    5 months after WoW released they made about a dozen mounts no long available. Claiming FOMO started in legion is willfully ignoring the 11 previous years that WoW was out.
    I don't think WoD, Mists and Cata had disappearing mounts. Whole quest lines, sure (mists cloak, wod ring). But mounts? Nope. That's easily 6-7 years from that 11 where nothing disppeared
    Thn the last one before that was in wrath, the immortal drakes after naxx.
    But now...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by r4vio928 View Post
    Fomo is built into the game, with every gear progression gameplay type, that is why falling behind is a thing, if there was no progression fomo, nobody would fall behind. So, if anyone plays the game, they should expect to be subject to that kind of game structure. I mean this behavior is well documented in science.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig2_287791607

It's called a skinner box and they experimented with mice pulling levers and being rewarded for it with a food pellet. They'd then give the mice less food per lever push, and spread it out over larger and larger spans of time, but the mice would continue to push the lever. Wow in a nutshell.
    If you don't get the 9999999 ilevel gear now, you can get
    1) the transmog later
    2) get the 12222222 ilevel gear later. You are not missing out with gear, because the value is not vanity. Who cares if you miss out on tier 25 4 set bonus? You'll gt tier 26 4 set.
    But vanity? Mount, pet, transmog? THAT's where the perpetual value is.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Even if it is boring, this is what ppl wanted. No systems and no real complexity. Just log in and do raid/pvp/m+.
    Head on nail.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    I tend to think they are stuck in the past or to conservative and not willing to take some make or break chances either way it matters not much to me as its the best time to be alive for video games in general.
    Why on earth would they gamble a make or break on a billion dollar revenue??? That doesn't make sense, like at all lol...
    And having raiding as a lobby? What? You have looking for raid if you dont want to commit to something serious and plenty of normal guilds that dont care.
    You have the option but you want mythic gear right? Just like everyone else

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I'll play through it, but I highly doubt I'll play more than the first month.

WoW is looking to continue to be a huge disappointment and missed opportunity in my eyes.

Dragonflight is looking to continue to primarily just be another glorified dungeon/raid lobby game w/ a req sub to play that makes zero sense to me.

Also just FYI the WoW community gave them more money for patch 9.1 and 9.2 than the entire LOTR trilogy costs to make. Makes you wonder where all the money really goes.
    Wow is not for everyone and people (such as yourself) also grow out of it.
    Its ok to let it go and play something else. I did for 3 expansions, felt great.
    But for someone thats old old? This expansion is perfect. It's back to basics, the talent trees (bit depending on class) are just amazing and fun. Dragon riding is one of the best features since TBC introducing flying mounts. The dungeons are on point as always. Raid testing has been super fun on beta. They're overhauling and making professions matter again and there is no forced grind of any real sort, no borrow power system, the catalyst is staying for making tier sets so thats already good, the first tier are super basic, which again, is really nice as to not convolute the talent system on launch.
    So, its like back in the day, you login because you want to play, because you enjoy wow and/or the social aspect of it.
    No more "ughh, i have to login and do torghast or w/e because its reset in 2 days".
    There's also no heroic week and straight into raiding...

The zones are beyond beautiful and amazing... I dunno... People always love to complain but DF looks really solid and what people have asked for lol....

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    I don't think WoD, Mists and Cata had disappearing mounts. Whole quest lines, sure (mists cloak, wod ring). But mounts? Nope. That's easily 6-7 years from that 11 where nothing disppeared
    Thn the last one before that was in wrath, the immortal drakes after naxx.
    But now...
    Mop has the challenge mode phoenixies and Wod had the archimound moose both disappear.

Cata and tbc were the only expans without such things.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

It only feels like it's missing 1 feature. BofA had island expeditions, EWW!, and this expac we got torghast, which was meh. I dont mind that it's missing the new gimmick this time around as long as the raids and dungeons are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think the main issue people are struggling with is that DF doesn't have a central gimmick the expansion is themed around - as in the manner that Legion has Artifact weapons, or BfA had the Heart of Azeroth, etc. Instead, DF basically just offers up basic WoW-style gameplay without any kind of subgame to speak of. Thus far from my experiences in the Alpha/Beta it feels a lot more like TBC or WotLK in terms of offerings than anything else. It's really just meat and potatoes WoW content: questing, leveling, professions, reputation, end-game quests/dailies/WQs, and obviously a lot of dungeons and raiding. Dragonriding is more a feature of play than a central gimmick, not unlike regular flying when introduced in TBC (albeit you get it at the start in DF and not max-level like TBC).

From a gimmicky alternative power perspective, I could see where an argument might be made for DF being "boring" - it's just WoW without frills, really; kind of a return to form. If you were a big fan of those centralized alternative power systems, you may be put out by their absence here. But if you just like basic WoW centered around a general theme (in this case dragons, the elements, and exploration of new lands) then you'll probably like DF just fine.
    My main issue is that while theyre aiming for a TBC or WotLK feel.

They dont want to give player more gearing options like TBC and WotLK had. Which I think is going to end up a major miss step.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg