Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It will help but the 12 team playoff is still gonna be a SEC heavy affair until the other conferences change perception by beating SEC teams on the field.

This year if we had a 12 team playoff it would be 4 SEC teams getting in for sure maybe even a 5th if they could justify getting ole miss in. 2-3 B1G teams, 2 Pac 12 teams, TCU, Clemson and one of UCF/Tulane/Cinci. Ole Miss and Penn State would be the argument for the last spot so it could of been extremely SEC heavy with 5 teams or still SEC heavy with only 4.
    The pac-12 is taking one conf game off their required schedule (so down to 8 conf games). Hopefully the teams will start scheduling each other. At the very least more conf vs conf games would help perception. What would be great is if the other conferences started scheduling more SEC games as well. I know it won't/can't be many, but even a few more would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    That's still way better then taking 3 out of 4 playoff spots.
    Exactly - 4 out of 12 is better, in every measurable category, than 2/3 out of 4. I agree with you as well that if they are 3 SEC teams in the CFP there will be a huge push to more to the 12-team model next year. I with they would just do it regardless.

I also think the CFP committee will work hard to prevent 3 SEC teams in the CFP this year. How would it play out to see 3? Mich gets stomped, driving them down past Tenn. Somehow TCU loses? What else?
    Last edited by cubby; 2022-11-16 at 03:52 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The pac-12 is taking one conf game off their required schedule (so down to 8 conf games). Hopefully the teams will start scheduling each other. At the very least more conf vs conf games would help perception. What would be great is if the other conferences started scheduling more SEC games as well. I know it won't/can't be many, but even a few more would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly - 4 out of 12 is better, in every measurable category, than 2/3 out of 4. I agree with you as well that if they are 3 SEC teams in the CFP there will be a huge push to more to the 12-team model next year. I with they would just do it regardless.

I also think the CFP committee will work hard to prevent 3 SEC teams in the CFP this year. How would it play out to see 3? Mich gets stomped, driving them down past Tenn. Somehow TCU loses? What else?
    Fun fact: The Pac-12 is the only P5 with 6 ranked teams right now. The mighty SEC? 5.
    Last edited by plz delete account; 2022-11-16 at 05:22 PM.

There is no shot 3 SEC teams get in. LSU will be left out even if they win the SEC because they got blown out in their own house by Tenn and have 2 losses. Tenn and UGA would get the nod over them. Similar to 2016 where OSU didn't win the B1G but got in with 1 loss over PSU who beat OSU, won the B1G but had 2 losses and one was a humiliating blow out to Michigan.

That's just ESPN trying to sell their big purchase and hype it up, there are way too many non SEC people on the CFP Committee to ever allow 3/4ths to be SEC.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is no shot 3 SEC teams get in. LSU will be left out even if they win the SEC because they got blown out in their own house by Tenn and have 2 losses. Tenn and UGA would get the nod over them. Similar to 2016 where OSU didn't win the B1G but got in with 1 loss over PSU who beat OSU, won the B1G but had 2 losses and one was a humiliating blow out to Michigan.

That's just ESPN trying to sell their big purchase and hype it up, there are way too many non SEC people on the CFP Committee to ever allow 3/4ths to be SEC.
    Not sure how you can just casually say "no shot" when all it would take is LSU winning the SEC, Michigan getting annihilated by OSU, and TCU losing a game. Poof! That leaves:

1. OSU
    2. Georigia
    3. Tenn
    4. LSU

Don't get me wrong, I would be horrified, and it would push hard the need for an immediate 12-team playoff rather than wait till 2026. But absolutely not a "no shot" situation.

Fun fact: The Pac-12 is the only P5 with 6 ranked teams right now. The mighty SEC? 5.
    All 5 are in the top 15 though, and it's no surprise the middle and bottom of the SEC suck, they usually do. SEC is always top heavy, it's just that top is usually the top of the elites on cfb.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how you can just casually say "no shot" when all it would take is LSU winning the SEC, Michigan getting annihilated by OSU, and TCU losing a game. Poof! That leaves:

1. OSU
    2. Georigia
    3. Tenn
    4. LSU
    You're ignoring a 1 loss ACC Champ and potential 1 loss USC Pac 12 champ in this. They need a hell of a lot more than that, LSU needs full 2007 level chaos to get in with 2 losses, one being an absolute blowout in their own house. They're high ranked now but USC beating UCLA, ND and another highly ranked team in the Pac 12 championship is going to pass them up if happens. The ACC champ is more sketch but still think they give the nod to a 1 loss power 5 champ over a 2 loss one since no 2 loss team has ever got in.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-17 at 01:29 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You're ignoring a 1 loss ACC Champ and potential 1 loss USC Pac 12 champ in this. They need a hell of a lot more than that, LSU needs full 2007 level chaos to get in with 2 losses, one being an absolute blowout in their own house. They're high ranked now but USC beating UCLA, ND and another highly ranked team in the Pac 12 championship is going to pass them up if happens. The ACC champ is more sketch but still think they give the nod to a 1 loss power 5 champ over a 2 loss one since no 2 loss team has ever got in.
    I'm not ignoring the ACC champ any more than the Committee is - they put them two spots behind the already 2-loss LSU.

However, I think you're spot on re the Pac-12 champ spoiling it for LSU (the irony). If USC wins out, having beaten UCLA, ND, and then Oregon in the Champ game, that would definitely be worth considering. And you made another good point, we won't see the 2007 chaos in this mix. It's highly unlikely, for instance, that TCU loses, and they'll be in for sure winning out and being Big-12 champ. Michigan will probably keep OSU close, so a tight win for them keeps them in the mix as a 1-loss team the same that LSU is in the mix as a 2-loss team.

Plus - I think the CFP would be highly reluctant to lean towards trying to get a 2-loss team into the CFP. The only big issue I can see is if they beat/blowout Georgia, which is highly unlikely.

There is chaos for sure, but none that would really put LSU into the #4 spot. But then again, this being college football, who knows - anything could happen.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    All 5 are in the top 15 though, and it's no surprise the middle and bottom of the SEC suck, they usually do. SEC is always top heavy, it's just that top is usually the top of the elites on cfb.
    Five? Bro. You don't seem to be up to date on the ONLY rankings that matter: CFP

Five? Bro. You don't seem to be up to date on the ONLY rankings that matter: CFP
    What about my statement was wrong? 1, 5, 6, 8 and 14 are all ranked in the top 15. That's 5 SEC teams in the top 15. What am I not "up to date" about. 3 Pac 12, 3 Big Ten, 2 ACC, 2 Big 12. You seem out of touch with reality if you don't think the perception of the top of the SEC being better than the top of every other conference is false. Hell its 4 in the top 10 and no other conference has more than 2 in the top 10...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-17 at 03:48 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    The problem is the likely reality that the SEC teams are typically significantly better than all but a very few teams from other conferences - the occasional OSU or Clemson pops up, but otherwise the 3-4 SEC teams that make the CFP every year are going to make up the majority of the final 4 and championship game participants.
    And I would have to disagree. Oregon, USC, and Utah (at least last year's Utah) are very good. UCLA should be good, but the Arizona loss is odd (keep in mind good SEC teams lose to mediocre SEC teams all the time, too). If there were some way to have those three Pac-12 teams and the top 3 SEC teams play a round robin, I would love to see the outcome. I know, you're going to say but "Georgia vs Oregon 49-3", and while that's a good point, the game was an outlier. National champ team against new coach/QB/offense on Georgia's home turf.

But we'll never get a good indication of how each conferences teams would match up against other conf teams.

This is where you have to look at the history, and for close to 10 years it has never been competitive. Also look at the NFL draft - over the past 4 years, Alabama has more first round picks than the entire PAC-12 combined. I don't think it's remotely close between the two conferences. There's just consistently way more talent in the SEC.

We will get an answer to this question once we go to 12 teams, by the way, and I think that answer will unfortunately be 2-3 SEC teams in the semifinals every year, and 70% of the teams in the championship coming from the SEC - ironically, less distribution amongst conferences than we get when we just pick 4 teams.
    I don't think there will be 3 SEC teams in the new semi finals much, probably 2 a lot though. There are usually 2 super strong teams in the SEC pretty much head and shoulders above most of CFB so they will usually be there. The thing with the new playoff system is only 1 SEC team can get a bye and 2 more conference champs that don't get byes get home games in their stadiums. The extra SEC teams are going to have a way more difficult path to the semi finals playing an extra game and possibly having to go play @ Oregon or @ ND or @ Clemson or @ OSU for example. I don't see SEC teams winning in the north easily in december or even in more mild places like Clemson and Oregon that have great home crowds. Then even if they do they then have to play a team that had an extra week to heal and prep for them. Tough road for non conference winners 6 teams fighting for only 2 slots of hosting teams available.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-17 at 11:56 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is where you have to look at the history, and for close to 10 years it has never been competitive. Also look at the NFL draft - over the past 4 years, Alabama has more first round picks than the entire PAC-12 combined. I don't think it's remotely close between the two conferences. There's just consistently way more talent in the SEC.

We will get an answer to this question once we go to 12 teams, by the way, and I think that answer will unfortunately be 2-3 SEC teams in the semifinals every year, and 70% of the teams in the championship coming from the SEC - ironically, less distribution amongst conferences than we get when we just pick 4 teams.
    The history definitely is in your favor - in head-to-head matchups via bowl games, the SEC has the winning record. And the top SEC teams definitely get more of the 4- and 5-star recruits.

I really can't wait for the 12-team CFP. We will definitely get answers. I would be excited to see UCLA, USC, Utah, and Oregon vs LSU, Tenn, Alabama, and Georgia. With some Big-12/-10, and ACC teams thrown in for fun.

5+ Year Old Account
    What about my statement was wrong? 1, 5, 6, 8 and 14 are all ranked in the top 15. That's 5 SEC teams in the top 15. What am I not "up to date" about. 3 Pac 12, 3 Big Ten, 2 ACC, 2 Big 12. You seem out of touch with reality if you don't think the perception of the top of the SEC being better than the top of every other conference is false. Hell its 4 in the top 10 and no other conference has more than 2 in the top 10...
    I specifically mentioned top 25. You went out of your way to cut it down to top 15. (UCLA is ranked 16th, so your whole headcanon doesn't even fit anyways)

As ORIGINALLY MENTIONED: Utah, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, and Washington are all ranked in the top 25. That's 50 percent of the Pac-12.

Once again, your head is screwed on backwards, as evidenced here and with your whole argument that I can't question FSU being in the playoffs because of OSU's performance, even though FSU and OSU aren't even remotely related as they didn't play each other, and now its "How am I wrong?! Pac12 has 5 top 15 teams just like the other conferences"

Absofuckinglutely nobody cares about the AP or CP this time of year: NY6 and Playoffs go off the CFP, not media and coaches polls.
    Last edited by plz delete account; 2022-11-17 at 04:08 PM.

I specifically mentioned top 25. You went out of your way to cut it down to top 15. (UCLA is ranked 16th, so your whole headcanon doesn't even fit anyways)

As ORIGINALLY MENTIONED: Utah, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, and Washington are all ranked in the top 25. That's 50 percent of the Pac-12.

Once again, your head is screwed on backwards, as evidenced here and with your whole argument that I can't question FSU being in the playoffs because of OSU's performance, even though FSU and OSU aren't even remotely related as they didn't play each other, and now its "How am I wrong?! Pac12 has 5 top 15 teams just like the other conferences"

Absofuckinglutely nobody cares about the AP or CP this time of year: NY6 and Playoffs go off the CFP, not media and coaches polls.
    Literally nobody is talking about the AP or CP but you. I am only talking about the CFP rankings and in the middle of your SEC hate boner you're failing to understand the difference between having 4 teams ranked in the top 10 and 5 in the top 15 vs having 3 teams in the bottom 10 of the rankings. Outside of the top 15 are basically irrelevant. Top 15 are the teams competing for NY6 bowls, and will be the teams competing for the 12 playoff spots when it changes over. Nobody gives a shit that Oregon State is barely ranked(and probably won't be after they play oregon) I hate to break it to you.

Oregon State has lost to every currently ranked team they have played including getting their pants pulled down by Utah and are probably gonna get thrashed by the ducks but you're the one using them as some prop to be like hey look at #23 we have more ranked teams than the SEC! What a joke dude, comparing it to the SEC teams that are all ranked before you even get to 15.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-11-17 at 04:22 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Literally nobody is talking about the AP or CP but you. I am only talking about the CFP rankings and in the middle of your SEC hate boner
    What the fuck does the SEC have to do with any of this conversation?

Once again, you're continuing to talk about things that are completely off topic and of absolutely no relevance. Come back when you can actually keep to one topic.

You're making me miss @muto and @Jaylock, as they at least could stay on topic.

Infracted
    Last edited by Crissi; 2022-11-17 at 05:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well he went admitted it. Will anyone be suspended?

Oregon WR Kris Hutson says his fake injury was “part of the game plan” used to stop the clock.
    https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/202...game-plan.html
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate Baylor so much. Of course they will be the ones to ruin the season again.

and honestly I wouldnt have minded being killed in the CFB. Fans of teams regularly getting in dont really get how important it is for the littler schools form an attention standpoint.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I hate Baylor so much. Of course they will be the ones to ruin the season again.

and honestly I wouldnt have minded being killed in the CFB. Fans of teams regularly getting in dont really get how important it is for the littler schools form an attention standpoint.
    congrats on winning by one point and now having your rivals complain about the refs

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

They pulled it out, and that's all that matters. If Illinois can do us the favor of beating Michigan, the CFP might already be set.

- - - Updated - - -

Well sometimes clock management doesn't matter... TCU has the ball just inside field goal range with under a minute left, runs, spikes, runs, seems to just then realize that there's only 15 seconds left, kicking team sprints on the field and kicker hits a last second 40ish yarder. Lol...
    Yeah, wtf was that all about.

- - - Updated - - -

And no Illinois is not going to convert, Mich will get the ball back, and win with a field goal.

- - - Updated - - -

When Baylor was leading, and Illinois was still playing against Michigan (they gave up with 5:00 left), I saw a path for Oregon to still make the CFP. Don't laugh too hard.

Oregon wins out (beating 2 more top 10 teams in doing so).
    LSU loses to Georgia.
    Michigan gets their second loss to OSU in the Big-10 champ game.
    Clemson loses to Miami.

Oregon, at 10-2, a conf champ, would be above PSU and Alabama, making it:

1. Georgia
    2. Ohio State
    3. Tenn
    4. Oregon

The above was assuming that TCU and Mich lost today, of course.
    Last edited by cubby; 2022-11-19 at 08:31 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    @cubby there's a house in New Orleans they call the Risin' Sun
    Cubby might need to get acquainted with it for there's a Bad Moon on the Rise
    He'll be seeing green doors and want to paint them black
    For in Autzen, Oregon Fans won't be having fun
    They'll all be drunk I surmise
    for Cam Rising and Utah are back

10+ Year Old Account
    The above was assuming that TCU and Mich lost today, of course.
    Had it all the way. <.<