Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Former Japanese PM Abe shot at campaign event

The former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe has been shot at a campaign event. Reportedly he has collapsed and is in heart failure. A man has already been arrested at the scene.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62089486

a cardiopulmonary arrest has been used by many officials. That is a very bad sign when used in Japan. That's essentially claiming a person has died before it's been officially announced.

Serves him right.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Serves him right.
    ...excuse me?

Serves him right.
    Would be singing a different tune if it was your PM. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ...excuse me?
    The guy is hated in South Korea. He went to the famous (or infamous) Yasukuni sanctuary where you have people revered and some of them are considered war criminal (due to their actions in WW2 in South Korea and the history of the "confort girls", I do not know how it is translated in english). So for South Korea, he is basically Trump's Japan.
    Last edited by Specialka; 2022-07-08 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Would be singing a different tune if it was your PM. Disgusting.
    Not defending it, but maybe because he was/is a nationalist, racist, misogynist, far right, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Armael View Post
    Not defending it, but maybe because he was/is a nationalist, racist, misogynist, far right, etc
    And so was Trump (apparently he was Japan's Trump) but I'm not going to celebrate if he got shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    And so was Trump (apparently he was Japan's Trump) but I'm not going to celebrate if he got shot.
    And yet quite a few people think otherwse. I remember when Thatcher died, people were dancing and singing in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Armael View Post
    Wanna throw any more buzzwords?

Pedophile?

Narcissist?

Drug trafficker?

Homophobe?

Regardless, it's a human shot in cold blood, justifying murder pretty much takes you off your high horse. Take your Twitter garbage elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Wanna throw any more buzzwords?

Pedophile?

Narcissist?

Drug trafficker?

Homophobe?

Regardless, it's a human shot in cold blood, justifying murder pretty much takes you off your high horse. Take your Twitter garbage elsewhere.
    Its complicated. Abe never really apologized for, and even defended occasionally, how Japan treated South Korea and China during 1930's - 1940s. Would be like if someone tried to kill Strom Thurmond.

So while it probably isnt an ok thing to say, its understandable why certain populations think this way, and they are justified in their feelings.

He's been officially pronounced dead.
    As an American living in Japan, I'm in absolute shock.
    He was a pillar of stability for international relations, keeping office for ~8 years after a revolving door of prime ministers.
    A lot of stuff was able to get done because of him, regardless of his political leanings.

Not liking someone's views is one thing - as a grandson of someone who was treated terribly by Japanese war criminals I certainly don't like his views on them but violence should never be the answer. Otherwise we are no better than Trump and his followers using violence to try and overthrown the US government.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    He was a pillar of stability for international relations
    Lol, definitely not.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2022-07-08 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And yet quite a few people think otherwse. I remember when Thatcher died, people were dancing and singing in the street.
    Only cunts were doing that.

Lol, definitely not.
    Says the Korean cheering for his death.

In the larger international community, his 8 year term turned the insular stances of Japan towards a more globalized direction.

Respectfully, go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    Respectfully, go fuck yourself.
    Keep defending the guy who sympathize with war criminals and the people who deny what they did.

Keep defending the guy who sympathize with war criminals and the people who deny what they did.
    Keep cheering for an affront to the safety and democracy of the people of Japan.

This happened 2 days before the election of the upper house with a weapon so strictly controlled that the killer had to manufacture the makeshift weapon himself.

What you're doing isn't defensible.
    I can wish that Japan would address WWII and Korea, which I believe they have several times, but it's beside the point.
    I don't even like the LDP and would prefer something more left, but politics aren't at the core of the issue.
    This was an act of terror against a man no longer in office.

Maybe take a hint from Yoon Seok-youl and show some class.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He wasn't even in a position of power anymore. What the hell could anyone have expected him to meaningfully do? And now he's dead so there's zero chance of even any personal progress being made.

And yes the assassination of current or former political figures, especially in stable governments, is very nearly a universal bad on its own. If he had legitimate dirt it should have been aired. Now it'll be buried with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

7+ Year Old Account
    A real tragedy for sure, and shocking. It never ends well when national leaders of former national leaders are murdered.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."