Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mortal Online 2 - The game I wanted WoW to be.

Mortal Online 2 is IT, boys.

So I understand my position on this will likely be quite different from the typical WoW player, because when WoW was first released, I had envisioned a game with a design focus on open-world, large scale Horde VS Alliance battles. WoW obviously went in a direction, but I stuck around for several years and was invested mostly in high level Arena PvP.

I quit WoW about 3 months into Cata and have never returned (apart from a 1 month stint during MoP as friends were insisting I return). Since leaving, I had been searching for an MMO to fill the void WoW left. I ended up finding a game that offered what I had once desired from WoW, and more.

The most beautiful thing about Mortal Online 2 is that it does not have any microtransactions whatsoever. It is a full-loot, classless PvP MMO with a complex crafting system, player driven economy, and base building.

The game loop of MO2 is simple but effective. Gather, craft, fight, repeat. That’s really all there is to it. There are a few planned key features that have not been added to the game, like Territory Control and Sieging. The game really should be considered Early Access, but the planned development timeline has been fulfilled with fair consistency.

The game has mixed reviews on Steam, which is understandable considering it’s full loot PvP. This is certainly not for everyone, though I will say that if you know what you’re doing, losing everything on your body really isn’t that devastating. Players should have a lot saved up in their bank, which is safe.

Anyway, this is the MMO I wanted WoW to be, and if you’re the kind of player that loves open world PvP, and if you’re against microtransactions, you should check this out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindris View Post
    Mortal Online 2 is IT, boys.

So I understand my position on this will likely be quite different from the typical WoW player, because when WoW was first released, I had envisioned a game with a design focus on open-world, large scale Horde VS Alliance battles. WoW obviously went in a direction, but I stuck around for several years and was invested mostly in high level Arena PvP.

I quit WoW about 3 months into Cata and have never returned (apart from a 1 month stint during MoP as friends were insisting I return). Since leaving, I had been searching for an MMO to fill the void WoW left. I ended up finding a game that offered what I had once desired from WoW, and more.

The most beautiful thing about Mortal Online 2 is that it does not have any microtransactions whatsoever. It is a full-loot, classless PvP MMO with a complex crafting system, player driven economy, and base building.

The game loop of MO2 is simple but effective. Gather, craft, fight, repeat. That’s really all there is to it. There are a few planned key features that have not been added to the game, like Territory Control and Sieging. The game really should be considered Early Access, but the planned development timeline has been fulfilled with fair consistency.

The game has mixed reviews on Steam, which is understandable considering it’s full loot PvP. This is certainly not for everyone, though I will say that if you know what you’re doing, losing everything on your body really isn’t that devastating. Players should have a lot saved up in their bank, which is safe.

Anyway, this is the MMO I wanted WoW to be, and if you’re the kind of player that loves open world PvP, and if you’re against microtransactions, you should check this out.
    The items I highlighted are big red flags for me. (I want to be sure that is highlighted, because I don't want to be attacked for a personal opinion)

My experience with Player Driven Economies is that they invite a lot of Botting. And if not Botting, pure player greed. I greatly dislike when you give the power of cost of items to the masses. There are usually people who use that as the main gameplay, and will ensure that "rare" items are well out of reach of casual players.

If this game is like others that I have experienced. Rare items will be used for the best items. Rare items will cost a great amount of money. Only those who invest the most time will have the greatest power. Which results in a terrible power balance in PvP environments. Of course skill plays a big part of PvP, but when item power also has a role in the battle, things get unbalanced really fast.

Two poorly geared players at the same skill level - Balanced
    Two greatly geared players at the same skill level - Balanced
    One player with poor gear and great skill vs One player with great gear and poor skill - Sorta balance
    One player with great gear and great skill vs One player with great gear and poor skill - Balanced
    One player with great gear and great skill vs One player with poor gear and great skill - Unbalanced

Unfortunately, the bolded example is what ruins these games for me. The bolded happens more often than not in these games as it is an open world, and most gamers are casual players (skilled or not).

In my own opinion, Loot with power advantages on it (Plus to Stats and Skills), Skill trees (Poor choices can ruin a build), and Classes (Rocks Paper Scissors is not fun to me) do not belong in PvP games.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

obviously an advertisement for MO2, sus OP

Its nice for people who enjoy it,but this type of game is always doomed to be pretty dead, 600 players on steam as an hour ago,its extremy niche,the pretty large number of negative reviews wont help it either

Heck even wow isnt doing THIS bad yet

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes. The mechanic of losing progress everytime you die so you never use your good items out of fear of losing them to either a higher level player or a rabid pvp group that happened to cross paths with you.
    Why would you loot better equipment if you are going to lose it as soon as you die

I value my time. So that's a hard pass
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Ah yes. The mechanic of losing progress everytime you die so you never use your good items out of fear of losing them to either a higher level player or a rabid pvp group that happened to cross paths with you.
    Why would you loot better equipment if you are going to lose it as soon as you die

well usualy those games tend to not have super rare gear,its usualy crafted gear that isnt all that hard to make

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The items I highlighted are big red flags for me. (I want to be sure that is highlighted, because I don't want to be attacked for a personal opinion)

My experience with Player Driven Economies is that they invite a lot of Botting. And if not Botting, pure player greed. I greatly dislike when you give the power of cost of items to the masses. There are usually people who use that as the main gameplay, and will ensure that "rare" items are well out of reach of casual players.

If this game is like others that I have experienced. Rare items will be used for the best items. Rare items will cost a great amount of money. Only those who invest the most time will have the greatest power. Which results in a terrible power balance in PvP environments. Of course skill plays a big part of PvP, but when item power also has a role in the battle, things get unbalanced really fast.

Two poorly geared players at the same skill level - Balanced
    Two greatly geared players at the same skill level - Balanced
    One player with poor gear and great skill vs One player with great gear and poor skill - Sorta balance
    One player with great gear and great skill vs One player with great gear and poor skill - Balanced
    One player with great gear and great skill vs One player with poor gear and great skill - Unbalanced

Unfortunately, the bolded example is what ruins these games for me. The bolded happens more often than not in these games as it is an open world, and most gamers are casual players (skilled or not).

In my own opinion, Loot with power advantages on it (Plus to Stats and Skills), Skill trees (Poor choices can ruin a build), and Classes (Rocks Paper Scissors is not fun to me) do not belong in PvP games.
    To address these concerns…

You’re right, MO2 is absolutely not a game for casual players, no doubt. However, and in regards to your gear quality and level of power, the best gear in the game only gives a very slight edge on gear that is relatively easy to obtain. Not only that, but skill plays a huge role in the outcome of fights. A good player fighting naked with just a sword can beat an average player in fully decked out gear. Skill is extremely important, and the biggest factor in how fights will go for you.

Basically, unless you are almost exactly evenly matched with a player in skill, the gear isn’t going to determine the outcome of the fight.

But again, not a game casual players will find satisfying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Its nice for people who enjoy it,but this type of game is always doomed to be pretty dead, 600 players on steam as an hour ago,its extremy niche,the pretty large number of negative reviews wont help it either

Heck even wow isnt doing THIS bad yet
    Fortunately this isn’t the kind of game that needs more than 500 players to be a good experience. It’s one server only, no instances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post

Even the best gear in the game is expendable. A weekend of farming should supply you with enough replacement gear for a month. Losing has to mean something though, or the gameplay loop doesn’t work. I get the complaint though, and why people are deterred.

Thing is, for me it’s about the experience itself, not the actual reward.
    Last edited by Vindris; 2022-07-11 at 05:29 PM.

PvP MMO?

Cool, another game that's dead on arrival, I guess.

You lost me the instant you said PvP MMO.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Fortunately this isn’t the kind of game that needs more than 500 players to be a good experience. It’s one server only, no instances.

thats nice and all,but how long until the company starts thinking that you and your buddies isnt enough profits?how long until they fill the game with crazy mtx like runes of magic did? dont like losing all your gear?buy this special augment to make that piece safe when u die,or buy extra power etc

or like plenty of mmo's on steam that are just abandoned with 0-10 players,how long will you enjoy the game when nothing is being done to fix stuff or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by GucciWarr View Post
    obviously an advertisement for MO2, sus OP
    pretty much my thoughts, game looks right awful, and indeed the highlighted items in the above post are not something that'd make me interested in it either.

I really don't understand how these open world pvp mmos keep getting funded. The audience has proven to be insanely niche, and you just can't sustain a healthy population with something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    This "advertisement" would have been better if you weren't so... overt about it.

Cant you guys just be more pleasant to the OP....
    Its as if his happiness triggers you or something.

OP is not "sus"...he just found a game he likes...

I actually like full loot, open world mmos and I thought the gameplay in MO 2 was boring. The combat was just not my thing at all. I wish it wasn't so expensive because I may of stuck it out for another few hours and maybe started to like it but I couldn't justify spending the money on it

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/star-vau...now-2000125483

I'm keeping an eye on it since it seemed super rough (even moreso than Mortal 1) and it seems that the devs acknowledge this in admitting they rushed the game out the door.

Mortal definitely isn't my kinda game usually, but I like indie devs working on "different" MMO's that are designed to appeal to niche communities vs. trying to be an "everything" MMO. I enjoy dipping my toes into these kinds of games just to get a broader set of experiences from MMO's and see what cool/unique things they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/star-vau...now-2000125483

I'm keeping an eye on it since it seemed super rough (even moreso than Mortal 1) and it seems that the devs acknowledge this in admitting they rushed the game out the door.

Mortal definitely isn't my kinda game usually, but I like indie devs working on "different" MMO's that are designed to appeal to niche communities vs. trying to be an "everything" MMO. I enjoy dipping my toes into these kinds of games just to get a broader set of experiences from MMO's and see what cool/unique things they do.
    It’s definitely a unique experience, and something that will be memorable. This is a game with only basic information online, so there isn’t really a meta game, and I think that is better for the experience. For example, little is known about Alchemy, and there are select few players who have discovered how to create potions that are more effective or do unique things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Cant you guys just be more pleasant to the OP....
    Its as if his happiness triggers you or something.

OP is not "sus"...he just found a game he likes...
    You're not new here, you know how this works. MMO-Champion is a collection of jaded ex-wow players just waiting for you to enjoy something they think is bad so they can tell you how wrong and shitty you are for liking it. I despise pvp games, but if this guy likes it, more power to him and I hope it works out.

You wanted World of Warcraft to be a survival sandbox MMO with a heavy emphasis on PVP and crafting?

What? What in the past of the Warcraft franchise or Blizzard's published game circa the era of the World of Warcraft development indicating that the design document of WOW was inclusive of these notions?

I don't even know where folks on these forums get their deeply misguided notions from anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I really don't understand how these open world pvp mmos keep getting funded. The audience has proven to be insanely niche, and you just can't sustain a healthy population with something like that.
    Because it is cheap. And devs can run with money.