1. #1

    What non-dungeon/raid content do people want?

    I see a lot of demand for non-dungeon/raid content, but what exactly is it that people want? Torghast, Warfronts and Islands were all flops, to the point where they have abandoned the idea of a new instanced gamemode for Dragonflight. So what is it that people are seeking from WoW?

    Hard Mode: Anything beyond Housing.

  2. #2
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,804
    Well, a few ideas.

    Easy mode: Actual housing and what would revolve around it (Not like Garrison).

    Else, maybe something like...

    ... world events connected to the zones/story of the zone but on rotation so it isn't just a reset every day/week.

    ... world bounties. Utilize the AI we were introduced to in BFA. Deploy said AI on the map, and let it generate stats and levels from killing NPCs and players, the longer it lives, the stronger it gets till you suddenly have a random Merc rare threat or world boss. It must have a regular model size and free reign on the territory. So, bounty says, locate a mercenary band roaming Kalimdor. Cannot be tracked via quest tracker, nor any spawn pattern or paths. When they all are dead, they'll respawn somewhere else on the continent.

    ... world competitive threat, apply an outdoors arena which offers various gameplay changes pr. week, most likely sponsored by Goblins.

    ... world content of general development

    ... The idea of Torghast bit more identified with our world, a never-ending run of "floors" created from a magical archive connected within Karazhan. Experience various books and topics from summoning, conjuring, war, maybe even cooking or some other profession.

    ... Faction development. You start at neutral and build up, as you gain a higher reputation, the faction grows and gets better seating in that zone they belong to. If you decide to go against them, they'll diminish to the point where it is just some wandering NPC offering you a repeatable quest to regain the faction's seat.

    ... player-controlled ships with various benefits and functions (Fishing, treasure hunting, PvP).

    ... Connected world map (Highly unlikely) be able to fly from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdoms, etc.

    ... world exploration and development of Archaeology. Upgrade this profession to have use again but connect it to content and the world, special dungeons, special mobs, special events, special buffs - all earned in the world.

    ... zone battle (highly unlikely) PvP struggles between opposing factions, players pick who they support of said factions, gaining transmogs, enchants, titles, etc.

    ... Greed before need (highly unlikely); create public treasure events that run on the idea of War supplies but instead, crafting items and currency.

    ... player progression tree; earn points to unlock features in a talent tree that functions in the open world, granting faster traveling, covenant abilities (instead of them going away), zone support (old Garrison abilities), unlock the ability to recruit a bodyguard (BoA).

    ... Class questlines.

    ... Race story developments.

    ... Class factions, a limited set of rewards for classes that aren't connected to the faction, extra rewards for the classes connected to it (Ravenholt -> Rogue).

    ... Return of Island Expeditions but without hunting for Azerite but instead what the name is, explore a random island, gain rewards from completing X amount. Not everything has to be competitive.

    ... Return of Scenarios. Bring this feature back to life again but instead, let it tell stories that people miss from outside the game.

    ... Expansion of Explorer's League, Reliquary, and Lorewalkers to give them the ability to show all cutscenes available from the past.

    ... (This is a dungeon, though) Random Generated dungeons, no need for story, just you kicking some ass in some smuggler's hideout or pirate den, etc.

    ... Mounted combat.


    Just some ideas that could be cool.. At least I think so..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  3. #3
    They should have kept most of their old features and improve them over time rather than just ditch them whenever a new expansion releases. MoP farm, garrisons, class halls, warfronts, island expeditions and Torghast should have remained as possible end game features with constant updates.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire VMSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    Torghast, Warfronts and Islands were all flops
    I quite enjoyed Warfronts and Islands. They were only flopping with the loud people on forums, who are typically the people that do dungeon/raid content anyway and only want more dungeon/raid content. Warfronts and Islands were constantly popping for me with almost no wait and were the only enjoyable thing about BfA.

    There's been plenty of content I've enjoyed in WoW throughout the years that had absolutely nothing to do with instances (Isle of Thunder, Tillers Farm, Molten Front, Tol Barad questing area, Ogri'la, Skettis, Legion world quests, and on and on). As far as instances go I also really enjoyed scenarios, another thing that the loud minority on the forums bitched endlessly about and got removed.

    But apparently, the development team has decided that what people like me want are some treasures and rares shoved into a zone on random timers with no story or intent behind any of it, taking the easiest portion of Timeless Isle to duplicate and calling it a day. Or maybe that's what the people who normally do dungeons/raids want out of the game world and they get what they want there, as well, since those are the only people Blizzard cares about.

  5. #5
    Man I loved the scenarios. I wish they brought them back. Quick instances with whoever.

    I still love the title i got from it too!

  6. #6
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,142
    Thorgast wasn't that bad and almost fun on certain classes. Similar fast-paced broken game modes where your choices and prior planning feel rewarded would be nice. Tbh if they kept updating it to make it more engaging that'd be fine too. We don't need to abandon everything from past expansions.

    Or maybe introduce more class and racial fantasy through order halls and capital city quests?
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I see a lot of demand for non-dungeon/raid content, but what exactly is it that people want? Torghast, Warfronts and Islands were all flops, to the point where they have abandoned the idea of a new instanced gamemode for Dragonflight. So what is it that people are seeking from WoW?

    Hard Mode: Anything beyond Housing.
    How about battlegrounds... but relevant to gearing!
    Even spicier: Without having to make premade groups. Perhaps even allowing people to pick which one they want to do, rather than just allowing that randomized bullshit.
    Do you think slapping rating requirements makes it all more skillful? Well what are you waiting for: Battlegrounds. Without premades. With choice.And ratings. AWESOME! INNOVATIVE! BUZZWORD!

    I will never understand how what is easily some of their most replayable content got into such a derelict spot.

    Also adapt warfronts into a proper new bg and adapt island expeditions into a bg format.


    Drill this into your minds: Generated content is, and will for the foreseeable future be, inferior to handcrafted or truly intelligent content. The former has production limitations, the latter is left to the players.

    Make use of the players, don't overengineer their interactions either by forcing them into any particular path. You do not have the capacity to make that work reliably, to that end it does not matter who or even what reads this.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-07-01 at 05:10 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  8. #8
    I love island expeditions but it was so bad that you couldn't get to one by boat-airship-etc.
    If they can manage to generate some quick events like this in the world accross the vast number of continents that we know and make it an interesting journey, I would spend whole days playing this.

    You can check an npc who needs some special mat, need you to investigate some phenomenon, need you to find a monster or a culprit. Then you are taken from one location to the next with some random events or small instances like the island expeditions. At the end you get some random rewards, just like the islands offered but you also enjoyed the journey with it and maybe on the road you also encountered npcs that gave you a quest to some other shenanigans and you can follow your current expedition with this, etc.

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral Konteil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    C137 For now......
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, a few ideas.

    Easy mode: Actual housing and what would revolve around it (Not like Garrison).

    Else, maybe something like...

    ... world events connected to the zones/story of the zone but on rotation so it isn't just a reset every day/week.

    ... world bounties. Utilize the AI we were introduced to in BFA. Deploy said AI on the map, and let it generate stats and levels from killing NPCs and players, the longer it lives, the stronger it gets till you suddenly have a random Merc rare threat or world boss. It must have a regular model size and free reign on the territory. So, bounty says, locate a mercenary band roaming Kalimdor. Cannot be tracked via quest tracker, nor any spawn pattern or paths. When they all are dead, they'll respawn somewhere else on the continent.

    ... world competitive threat, apply an outdoors arena which offers various gameplay changes pr. week, most likely sponsored by Goblins.

    ... world content of general development

    ... The idea of Torghast bit more identified with our world, a never-ending run of "floors" created from a magical archive connected within Karazhan. Experience various books and topics from summoning, conjuring, war, maybe even cooking or some other profession.

    ... Faction development. You start at neutral and build up, as you gain a higher reputation, the faction grows and gets better seating in that zone they belong to. If you decide to go against them, they'll diminish to the point where it is just some wandering NPC offering you a repeatable quest to regain the faction's seat.

    ... player-controlled ships with various benefits and functions (Fishing, treasure hunting, PvP).

    ... Connected world map (Highly unlikely) be able to fly from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdoms, etc.

    ... world exploration and development of Archaeology. Upgrade this profession to have use again but connect it to content and the world, special dungeons, special mobs, special events, special buffs - all earned in the world.

    ... zone battle (highly unlikely) PvP struggles between opposing factions, players pick who they support of said factions, gaining transmogs, enchants, titles, etc.

    ... Greed before need (highly unlikely); create public treasure events that run on the idea of War supplies but instead, crafting items and currency.

    ... player progression tree; earn points to unlock features in a talent tree that functions in the open world, granting faster traveling, covenant abilities (instead of them going away), zone support (old Garrison abilities), unlock the ability to recruit a bodyguard (BoA).

    ... Class questlines.

    ... Race story developments.

    ... Class factions, a limited set of rewards for classes that aren't connected to the faction, extra rewards for the classes connected to it (Ravenholt -> Rogue).

    ... Return of Island Expeditions but without hunting for Azerite but instead what the name is, explore a random island, gain rewards from completing X amount. Not everything has to be competitive.

    ... Return of Scenarios. Bring this feature back to life again but instead, let it tell stories that people miss from outside the game.

    ... Expansion of Explorer's League, Reliquary, and Lorewalkers to give them the ability to show all cutscenes available from the past.

    ... (This is a dungeon, though) Random Generated dungeons, no need for story, just you kicking some ass in some smuggler's hideout or pirate den, etc.

    ... Mounted combat.


    Just some ideas that could be cool.. At least I think so..
    palese go applyt at microsoft or blizzard now. those are great ideas.

    add keeping crafting relevant for both supploes and gear.
    craftable transmogs for mounts like barding and stuff
    gathering quest for each zone so that everyone contributes to it and when you reach the goal it gives a flat damage or xp buff for that zone for x amount of hours
    portal system for zones that can be maintained for instant transport from zone to zone using engineering.

    this is other neat things ive thought of
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

  10. #10
    That is it, I have always only played this game because the combat if the most fluid of any MMO I have ever played before. So I exclusively play for dungeons and raids, if they are not good or too few I won't play the game. That is the issue I am having currently with TBCC which I loved every bit of, I am basically Full BIS for the content I care to complete Dabbled in SWP killed a few bosses, but don't care if I clear it or not, so I have nothing to do in game until the level boost happens so I can level my alts then as soon as prepatch drops Ill be playing DK. But Wrath has fantastic raids and never ending heroics for badges so I can gear out and have fun doing it. Now with retail I wait until Tuesday each week for the hopes at getting an upgrade.

  11. #11
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    palese go applyt at microsoft or blizzard now. those are great ideas.

    add keeping crafting relevant for both supploes and gear.
    craftable transmogs for mounts like barding and stuff
    gathering quest for each zone so that everyone contributes to it and when you reach the goal it gives a flat damage or xp buff for that zone for x amount of hours
    portal system for zones that can be maintained for instant transport from zone to zone using engineering.

    this is other neat things ive thought of
    Posted in a useful equipment method in a different thread.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  12. #12
    I actually really liked warfronts, at least in concept. They turned into a zergfest but I think thats just because they slapped in some gear rewards and called it a day, so of course players just tried to make them go as fast as possible. I think they should have been a separate aspect of the game, with rewards that were specific to it, and...more importantly, have more than 2.

    Torghast and even Islands were fun at first too. The executions just made them....meh and then bad the longer the game went on.

    Heck I would actually take the concept of warfronts and turn it into a single player to small scale co-op game of its own. No more than like 4-8 players per side, make pushing with the NPC troops required for success and change a bunch more that more creative folks than I have already come up with before.

    FF14 players seem to really like the NPC participants in dungeons, solo WoW players might like it too. Though it would need to be far less efficient than playing with other people (Which I believe is how it works in ff14 at present)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord Boricha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sejong, South Korea
    Posts
    4,161
    Housing is the obvious option, but I'd like to see well written side story content with lots of cut scenes in WoW like with FF14. One thing I feel like isn't mentioned often is how much detail, mysterious little corners, and interesting looking characters exist in Boralus, but none of it was utilized. They could have had numerous side story quests in that city--murder mystery, theft, protest, political battles. There is so much wasted potential for side story content.

  14. #14
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,237
    Great questing content.

    Difficult singleplayer content like the Mage Tower.

    Timeless Isle (but not crap like Tanaan/Broken Shore/Argus/Nazjatar/Korthia)

  15. #15
    Mage tower was the best single player experience the game has created. If they created a dungeon or raid that was purely single player in the vein of the Mage tower that would be awesome. Think of that meets a mop challenge mode.

  16. #16
    9.0 Torghast was easily the best content in the game to me. More things like that are what I would like to see, though maybe with an actual reward system. I have little to no interest in things like the mage tower, since smashing my face into a brick wall countless times until I finally break through is not my idea of a good time, but I guess it has its place for the masochists. More class stories, race stories, and other things like that would be nice too. Even things like housing could be fun to mess around with, if done right to not seem like a mandatory chore. But for sure the main thing I would like to see brought into further expansions is content like Torghast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •