Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it is to succeed and create potential hype on a third one, it should be about the events leading to the fall of Lordaeron and probably include some Burning Crusade hints/influence into it..

Final scene..... Arthas walking into Lordaeron, on his way to..."succeed" his father. Film ends on the echo of Arthas words.

Now everyone is losing their minds knowing what the next film is about You now know that people WILL go to watch the next one 100% too.
    Last edited by shise; 2022-07-04 at 10:31 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    why they still want to continue with this nonsense with Universal? the movie was not a masterpiece by any means but universal fuck it over by cutting short

When they will learn that warcraft works more as a series/tv show? look at how game of thrones and others did well, we have 3 seasons ready from warcraft 1 to 3 or even more if they want to put like 2 seasons for one game focusing more on the alliance or horde side

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post

His character arc as it plays out in the human campaign of WC3 could maybe fit.
    That appeals for a sequel though. There was no real conclusion in the original game for him.

If you were to have a single movie, u'd need to cover at least W3 and xpac.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    That appeals for a sequel though. There was no real conclusion in the original game for him.

Sure, it's not the completion of the character's entire story, but the human campaign of WC3 does have a complete arc for him. Act one is the introduction of the characters and the threat, act two is Arthas' descent into madness during his campaign against the scourge culminating with the Culling, and act three is the completion of his arc in Northrend as he fully embraces his desire for vengeance and takes up Frostmourne. The main "issue" is that the story ends as a downer with no real heroes to root for which is not really seen in the heroic fantasy genre.

To be honest, after that part of his story Arthas became a far less interesting character, becoming more a tool to expand the lore andbring the other characters and campaigns together.

Once again making the misstake in making a movie, a animated show would have much better succes or be better as you can only fit so much story into a 2 hour movie.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2022-07-05 at 12:02 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Any investors funding this deserve the losses they would incur. What a ridiculous idea. The first movie was a disaster, and with the decline in the game (and in Blizzard) since then this would be far worse.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Of course animating a world that's already cartoony would be a more straightforward task. But it would also be a cop out. WoW looks cartoony but doesn't take place in a Looney Tunes universe where anything is possible all of the time. WoW still attempts to root itself into a grounded reality and what freedoms it draws from its cartoony appearance are mostly to escape technical constraints and playability.

The Warcraft movie found itself in a weird place where the animated orcs looked more livelike and gritty than the human actors, who were by far the weakest part in the movie.

But that's easily fixed. Simply take what works, by all means keep using those Orcs, and dial the cartoonishness on the human side of things further back. Stormwind doesn't need to be a Disney castle. Elwynn Forest can be an actual forest rather than a colourful set.

Duncan Jones got incredibly close to a satisfying and faithful Warcraft depiction. But he clearly was juggling too many balls all at once. It's obvious that a large part of the budget got sunk into the research to make the Orcs work which meant that nearly everything else, despite being well-produced, didn't have the same amount of ideation behind it.

Though I'm glad we're getting a reboot and not a sequel, I do hope they're not going to throw out the orc baby with the bathwater.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post

Slight issue with W3 and TFT is that the Scourge makes it hard to convert that to Chinese regulation around corpses and reanimating dead people.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So it seems to have survived the pandemic? Dunno why we need to go through this again but I guess costumes and cgi have only gotten better in the meantime so it can only be an improvement over the previous movie in the end. Just wish they'd dare tell a story we've not already been drudged through ingame.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Good the first movie was garbage. Reboot it and keep it true to the lore this time.

Hopefully not the same director, he did a string of tweets explaining where he wanted to take the story and it’s all about how the orcs are so misunderstood. He was picking one of the weaker parts of what is available to them.

TV series would be better, hopefully not the BS anime trend Netflix is doing with games though….

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose184 View Post
    Good the first movie was garbage. Reboot it and keep it true to the lore this time.
    Maybe not so much CGI too. LOTR still looks fantastic because it didn’t rely on it.
    Last edited by Soikona; 2022-07-05 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    So it seems to have survived the pandemic? Dunno why we need to go through this again but I guess costumes and cgi have only gotten better in the meantime so it can only be an improvement over the previous movie in the end. Just wish they'd dare tell a story we've not already been drudged through ingame.
    The CGI is great on a technical level and still has yet to be surpassed by comparable movies. What bothered people was the overly glamourous art direction.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Better than the Warcraft Movie:
    Well, sonuvabitch...I actually enjoyed watching that.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Sure, it's not the completion of the character's entire story, but the human campaign of WC3 does have a complete arc for him. Act one is the introduction of the characters and the threat, act two is Arthas' descent into madness during his campaign against the scourge culminating with the Culling, and act three is the completion of his arc in Northrend as he fully embraces his desire for vengeance and takes up Frostmourne. The main "issue" is that the story ends as a downer with no real heroes to root for which is not really seen in the heroic fantasy genre.

To be honest, after that part of his story Arthas became a far less interesting character, becoming more a tool to expand the lore andbring the other characters and campaigns together.
    Have the first movie end with Arthas murdering his father. I think that'd work as a fairly self-contained story with potential for a sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Any investors funding this deserve the losses they would incur. What a ridiculous idea. The first movie was a disaster, and with the decline in the game (and in Blizzard) since then this would be far worse.
    Indeed. Who would be crazy enough to risk their money given the performance of the original movie and Blizzard's recent track record? The only way I can this being a remote possibility is a straight to streaming to movie with a drastically reduced budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Hopefully not the same director, he did a string of tweets explaining where he wanted to take the story and it’s all about how the orcs are so misunderstood. He was picking one of the weaker parts of what is available to them.

TV series would be better, hopefully not the BS anime trend Netflix is doing with games though….

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not so much CGI too. LOTR still looks fantastic because it didn’t rely on it.
    Had nothing to do with CGI. Writing was just garbage and not faithful to the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Have the first movie end with Arthas murdering his father. I think that'd work as a fairly self-contained story with potential for a sequel.
    I think WC story works better as a series. There are clear points where the story breaks that they can be used as high point episode endings (Malganis leaving Arthas in a smoldering Stratholme, Arthas killing his father, Arthas destroying the Sunwell, etc.)

If this happens, i'll be excited.

I really liked the 2016 film. They really nailed the whole orc storyline with characters, visuals, battles, interactions. The human storyline was a bit cringe, and needed some improvements.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the 2016 movie was that it had like 8 different main characters which resulted in awful pacing
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Despite being a domestic failure, the movie didn't really suffer major financial losses. I think total losses was reported to be around $15m, which really isn't that much when we're talking about hundreds of millions spent on production and marketting.

They did poorly in the US box office, but made up for it in the overseas market. It's still considered the highest grossing videogame movie. The only difference now is that the overseas market is unreliable, especially with China and Russia's contribution to box office taking quite a hit from recent politics. They would have to make a better overall this time around.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-05 at 09:04 PM.