Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

So, how does this look any different than WoD going into Legion?

I am just a bit confused and have found this site (Despite the amount of trolls) to be the best source for feedback that isn't silly 1 liners, so here I am to ask:

Why are there so many who claims that "Dragonflight is coming too soon" and that "This reeks of rushed" when to my memory, this just seems like a repeat on how WoD went into Legion; And Legion was phenomenal.

- Both SL and WoD stopped at the X.2 patch (Since no, X.2.5 is not really a content patch)
    - Both SL and WoD seem to be lining up in about the same way in terms of "time between when things got released"
    - Both SL and WoD got crap (For understandable reasons)

I get that:

A: With SL - Blizzard "broke the cycle" of having "Bad expansion - Good expansion - Bad expansion" by having BFA and SL be bad back to back.
    B: A lot of s*** has happened since after Legion that has put Blizzard in a darker light and it is clear that lots of former devs have moved on.

And with this I am fully aware of and do not expect Dragonflight to be a banger or save WoW in any way. Heck, I don't expect WoW to get back on it's feet again until whatever expansion 12.X is since by that time I hope Microsoft has gotten their foot deep enough to make some actual changes. So while I am not saying that I do not understand why people are skeptical: I just can't get where this "it is too soon" is coming from. I keep seeing people being mad on the daily because "Dear lord 9.2 is going to last SO LOOOOOOOOOONG, I'm already bored" <- And yes this should not translate too "Please Blizzard, rush the game" (As that always goes down the toilet) but I just wanted to know why wo many have this "Too soon" view when this looks little to no different than when WoD rolled into Legion. Could someone who has this viewpoint explain their mentality about it since I am a bit confused about it.

Well, WoD didn't have anything like season 4. It won't exactly be new content, but it's more than WoD had going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexxgrim View Post
    Why are there so many who claims that "Dragonflight is coming too soon" and that "This reeks of rushed" when to my memory, this just seems like a repeat on how WoD went into Legion
    Because there is still no even alpha to be tested by players and all we got is 5min video of a new race showing 'new flying'... and they want to release it in less than 6 months.

And Legion was phenomenal.
    It wasn't.

Legion was not actually that great initially, exactly for the same reason people are saying dragonflight is coming too soon. but unlike other expansions before or since Legion had an incredible update/patch schedule that blizzard adhered to religiously and that allowed them to fix a lot issues quickly throughout the patch cycle

Quote Originally Posted by blahdiblah View Post
    Legion was not actually that great initially
    This but also WoD wasn't as bad as people make it look imo, as well as I believe it didn't deserve it's fate. It needed more attention and content that was cut cout of it and glued to Legion to make it seem "all that much better" but it was all at the expanse of WoD.
    Didnt liek it.

I am just a bit confused and have found this site (Despite the amount of trolls) to be the best source for feedback that isn't silly 1 liners, so here I am to ask:

Why are there so many who claims that "Dragonflight is coming too soon" and that "This reeks of rushed" when to my memory, this just seems like a repeat on how WoD went into Legion; And Legion was phenomenal.
    Didnt you know, every self-proclaimed casual on mmo-champion owns stocks and has personal conversations about the game progress,therefor they know everything with their gaming experience.

They didnt reveal anything about Dragonflight cause there wont be any extra systems as people requested, which means it will be extra boring (hopefully, raid logging ftw man!), which for the same people that requested all these changes, it means bad expansion, because there isnt a 60 hour storyline (there is) that rewards full MYTHIC ELITE MEGA PRETTY COSMETIC GEAR WITH THE BEST STATS EVER, THAT 1 SHOTS EVERYONE IN PVP, that only the amazing lore master from FFXIV can get.

On a serious note, mmo-champion hasnt been a place for serious discussions since 2010 when it became famous, nowadays is just an echo chamber of people expecting WoW to fail because they cant accept they are either not good enough at the game or the fact they grew up and had a family doesnt allow them as much free time anymore or they cant magically get FFXIV to play as well as WoW, so WoW must change.

Thats why you see all the negativity, dont take it too seriously, its a very amusing place to read things though.
    Last edited by potis; 2022-06-28 at 08:42 AM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Because there is still no even alpha to be tested by players and all we got is 5min video of a new race showing 'new flying'... and they want to release it in less than 6 months.

It wasn't.
    It was though.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

There is difference. Back in WOD days Blizzard didn't pretend, that they had lots of content. SL is about having the same amount of content, but using exceeding amount of content stretching, that is intended to create illusion of lots of content. Like asking player to grind 100k Anima, while giving it at 200/day rate at release, that means not being able to complete xpack's content on alts. As for me, content stretching is even worse, than lacking content. At least WOD content had good quality, so it was great for replaying it on alts. Exceeding amount of stretching causes burnout way too quickly.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Legion is a very mediocre expansion that got hyped up posthumously. It started some of the worst trends in WoW's development that plague the game to this day and it only looks good by comparison because they allocated some of WoD's ressources to prop up Legion.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

People are saying it is too soon because if you take december 31st as release day we would have been in alpha by now.

Blizzard's MO of lately has been annouce new expansion -> annouce release date -> Alpha -> Beta -> Launch

What i think is going to happen is we are not getting public Alpha, and we might not even get Beta, or just a short Beta. Blizzard likes to copy what other successful games have been doing, and one of the praises FFXIV gets it is that it is all tested internally and it has very few bugs when it comes out.

this just seems like a repeat on how WoD went into Legion; And Legion was phenomenal.
    Wrong.

Legion BECAME good. It didn't START good.

In fact it started TERRIBLE. The legendary system was predatory and abusive, with hidden caps and diminishing returns to artificially gate fully randomized acquisition with ludicrous power disparities - forcing people to run multiple identical characters just to gamble on drops if they wanted to be competitive.

In addition, it had the single worst opening raid in WoW history, a raid so terribly tuned it was cleared on US before EU even had their reset. And with class balance so off they had to do some emergency redesign of core talents to get things even remotely in balance (hi there Warlocks).

Later on, Legion had some great stuff. Nighthold was a fantastic raid. Soaking memes aside, Tomb was also quite good. Legendaries were eventually fixed with a vendor. M+ was a new exciting paradigm shift for endgame content.

BUT ON LAUNCH, LEGION WAS TERRIBLE.

If anything, it's an argument FOR people's fears about DF, not against them.

Legion was revealed Aug 6, 2015 and released Aug 30, 2016 - 390 days, while Dragonflight, even if it will release on the last day of 2022, will have 256 days between reveal and release.
    Legion began its alpha on Nov 23, 2015 - 281 days before release. Even if DF alpha starts tomorrow, it will be a maximum of 185 days between alpha and release.

So yeah, there's a reason why people think it may be rushed. Especially when considering that these dates were probably forced by management to increase the revenue of Q2 (pre-purchase) and Q4 (release) of 2022, without much consideration regarding the state of the game.

We are halfway through the year and-
    * Talents are still missing
    * Class haven't been tested
    * New race haven't been tested
    * New expansion features haven't been tested
    * Quests haven't been tested
    * The reworked professions haven't been tested

And ontop of that the cinematic was vague and felt abit out of place in alot of what it presented.
    It's not just a matter of days between expansions, alot of it is simply lack of information and insight into the content itself.

At the end, WoD had basically nothing outside of raiding and your Garrison.

SL is kind of similar but you have more updates to the game thanks to 9.2. and 9.2.5. Not great content updates but updates anyway. Also mythic+ , a more active PvP scene and raiding still ongoing.

And i agree, Legion was one of the best eras of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It was though.
    Uhhh... i do not agree but won't continue this pointless semantics game anymore.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Wrong.

Legion BECAME good. It didn't START good.

In fact it started TERRIBLE. The legendary system was predatory and abusive, with hidden caps and diminishing returns to artificially gate fully randomized acquisition with ludicrous power disparities - forcing people to run multiple identical characters just to gamble on drops if they wanted to be competitive.

In addition, it had the single worst opening raid in WoW history, a raid so terribly tuned it was cleared on US before EU even had their reset. And with class balance so off they had to do some emergency redesign of core talents to get things even remotely in balance (hi there Warlocks).

Later on, Legion had some great stuff. Nighthold was a fantastic raid. Soaking memes aside, Tomb was also quite good. Legendaries were eventually fixed with a vendor. M+ was a new exciting paradigm shift for endgame content.

BUT ON LAUNCH, LEGION WAS TERRIBLE.

If anything, it's an argument FOR people's fears about DF, not against them.
    It was great. Questing was neat, the story of the zones was pretty cool, the zones looked great. Order Halls were, for the most part fun, and it actually felt like an adventure again. That's not to say that EM wasn't an awful raid, and that the legendary item acquisition was dreadful.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

A few things that are very different this time around :

- Pandemic impacted SL & likely DF development at some level

- 6.2 was the 2nd longest patch in the history of the game, running at 434 days. Even if DF releases on Dec 31st, 9.2 will still have only run 312 days. Essentially 4 months less development time

- Blizzard has shown us with WC3 Reforged that they are willing to release broken, low quality games to get pre-order money

- The extent of WoW's current internal testing is not known. Even so, to be comparable to Legion, the DF alpha would of needed to start back in Febuary or March of 2022 for us to have a similar time table to Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

In addition, it had the single worst opening raid in WoW history, a raid so terribly tuned it was cleared on US before EU even had their reset.
    This is probably a good thing for the game though.

(Maybe not this dramatic, but fairly close)

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What people don’t remember is that legion was hated at launch.

People hates legendary’s

People hated Ap and grinding it for every spec.

Class design was bemoaned in a lot of places (Sud rouge sv hunter Demo lock)

People hated that the suamar dungeons were rep locked

People hated the changes to PvP with ilvl scaling and the preset stat templates.

People hated needing multiple relics for weapons.

About the only things legion got praise for at the start was the amount of questing it had and even then people hated that it was time locked. Every thing else legion gets praise for is there rose tinted glasses coming into play or didn’t come till near the end.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-06-28 at 04:15 PM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    We are halfway through the year and-
    * Talents are still missing
    * Class haven't been tested
    * New race haven't been tested
    * New expansion features haven't been tested
    * Quests haven't been tested
    * The reworked professions haven't been tested
    havent been PUBLICALY tested, i doubt they are well tested internaly as of yet, but we cant be certain

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    lack of information and insight into the content itself.
    now, here ill play devils advocate a bit, i wont realy blame them for keeping info "light", bcs of how people are, blizz says something, "fans" twist it, and then make it somehow blizz fault, so its probably better to say as little as possible...

remember the zandalari trolls?
    at reveal they said they will be in BFA, 3 or 4 months before release they said they wont be in 8.0, and when the bfa released people were shocked and whined about them not being there, despite being told months before, and called blizz liars bcs they werent there at release, despite blizz never saying that...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-06-28 at 04:27 PM.