Which race do you think "fits" the Hunter best, in terms of overall themes and feel?

Generally speaking, I like trying to choose the Race that I think "fits" each Class the best, in terms of overall feel and themes. For example, while a number of races can choose Paladin, to me it just doesn't get more iconic than a Human Paladin. From the lore, the themes and cultures, to even simply than most of their class sets *seem* most fitting for a Human.

But Hunters, I feel like they're just SO broad, it's honestly kind of hard pegging what their "vibe" even really is.

Any advice?

If you want to play with a pet then choose the one that you likes the most and pick a race that makes the most sense with it.
    If you don't want to play with a pet you will be playing marksman, so choose what ranged combat fantasy suits you: elven archer, goblin gunner or something quirky simply because you can.

Personaly i like chosing races based on attack/cast animations (unless a certain one has a rly rly op racial)

But theme wise,i guess blood elf fits hunters pretty well with the ranger general guys

To me it has always been night elves. The elven archer stereotype is firm in high fantasy, and the bow is central to this. To me, a 'Hunter' has always been a marksman with a bow. The addition of a pet fits the trope of a forest stalker who is in tune with nature. Orcs, Tauren and to a lesser extent Dwarfs fit this trope, but all of them lack the elegance and grace that an archer requires. I guess a Blood Elf could fit the bill, but the night elf was the OG

5+ Year Old Account
    Each race has their preferred weapon that comes in mind when you trying image them, as their most common type in concept arts.

Human - Staff or Sword
    Night Elf - Bow
    Dwarf - Hammer
    Orc - Axe
    Tauren - Clawfist
    Trolls - Spear

So basically for me Hunters is most common A:Night Elfs , H:Trolls.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will blame Warcraft 3 and say Female Night Elves.

Though Blood Elves also have a good base for it storywise and also, in general, its a good road for them in general fantasy (Having the general look of the fantasy archer elf)

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Generally speaking, I like trying to choose the Race that I think "fits" each Class the best, in terms of overall feel and themes. For example, while a number of races can choose Paladin, to me it just doesn't get more iconic than a Human Paladin. From the lore, the themes and cultures, to even simply than most of their class sets *seem* most fitting for a Human.

But Hunters, I feel like they're just SO broad, it's honestly kind of hard pegging what their "vibe" even really is.

Any advice?
    id say night elves, close relation with nature and pretty much live in the woods. the other option for horde side id say tauren/troll

Is this a trick question?

It depends on how you define Hunter and if you're looking for technical reasons for one race or another being skilled, or lore/flavorful reasons like cultural reasons or looking to iconic Hunters and what their race was.

If being a Hunter is one who forms a bond with their animal Pet/Companion, than Orcs (both regular and Mag'har) take the place as they are the only ones who have a Racial trait that increases their abilities with pets. Trolls have the Beast Slaying ability though that's been changed to just receive more XP from beasts. From a cultural perspective you're probably looking at the Tauren and Highmountain Tauren for your answer, though just as equally Night Elves would be included since they aren't some kind of vegan-hippie race. They have carnivorous fangs for a reason.

Outside of Class mechanics, Worgen are probably the perfect Predators in themselves, they are Hunters with or without a bow, but if we wanted to define Hunter in a more abstract way, then just about anyone could fill the niche. Goblins are Hunters of gold, Blood Elves of Arcane, etc.

Looking at Hearthstone, they've selected Rexxar as their default hero for Hunter class, essentially stating that to them, Rexxar IS the pinnacle idea of a Hunter, and he's a Mok'Nathal, an unplayable race (cross between an Orc and Ogre). I suppose you could make a case for Alleria or Sylvanas, though they tend to rely more on their Void / Death magics rather than actual.. Hunter stuff?

I think the fact that now every single Race can be Hunters is the answer in itself. There is no one singular race that have really made "Hunting" their own in the same way that Night Elves really nailed Druidism as their own, Orcs with Shamanism, or Humans as Paladins. It's probably best to argue which class DOESN'T embody the archetypal qualities of being a Hunter and personally, I'd say Pandaren, Blood/Void Elves, Goblins and Nightborne. Besides Pandas, I just can't see any of them willing to "stoop" to the level of having to "gather your own food and leather for clothes", they seem to be too high up on the social ladder to do such dirty work. And Pandaren are just fat, and if you know anything about actual Pandas, they're the most lazy pieces of crap to ever exist. Pandaren ain't picking up a bow anytime soon and if anyone tries to tell you differenly they're selling something.

I know I'm in the minority, but I play a Panda hunter. And for me, it's ALL about the animations. I think think all the vanilla races, the 2004 style animations are, well... they just show their age in comparison to the work they put into Pandas. And Pandas have great animations across the board. They're the only race I like the complete combination of animations when wielding a staff, polearm, bow & gun. It always makes me laugh, watching my panda run around with a gun, reminds me of Peter Griffen playing laser tag, or with a polearm 'break-dance fighting'. And it appeals to my mischievous sense of humor. IMO, there are two types of players/hunters, Legolas wannabes (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) and everyone else. And for everyone else, don't forget we want a Big F@#$ing Gun, a few grenades, bowie knife, and may be a chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    Personaly i like chosing races based on attack/cast animations (unless a certain one has a rly rly op racial)

But theme wise,i guess blood elf fits hunters pretty well with the ranger general guys
    Depends, I feel like belf fits marksman hunter the best, but probably not beastmaster or survivor hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Depends, I feel like belf fits marksman hunter the best, but probably not beastmaster or survivor hunter
    Oh yeah,for sure