Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dragonflight prequel novel...where are you?

So a couple months ago we got word from an Amazon page that there is a dragonflight prequel novel set to release November 2022. It looks like that date has been removed.

I wonder why we haven't heard anything. Typically the novels release 3 to 4 months before the expac but that would be release of the novel at end of September at the latest.

Has anyone seen anything I've missed? Or what's going on?

5+ Year Old Account
    It’s good. I don’t want any books. At least for now. It’s better that the story is all included in game.

A drake ate the manuscript and the pc it was typed up on, so it all has to be rewritten.

ideally it won't matter because the novel is set thousands of years ago and details how the dragons inherited the island and describing the immediate aftermath of them becoming aspects

unfortunately it'll probably explain why the horde and alliance are going to the dragon isles in modern times instead

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    It’s good. I don’t want any books. At least for now. It’s better that the story is all included in game.
    That’s a pipedream. All we get in-game are the final actions of a narrative. All the actual setup, characterization and world building goes into external sources.

Still no word on this... that's crazy

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Blizz wisened up and realized people don't like having to buy novels to understand what's going on in the game.

Or maybe now that Sylvanas is gone there's no drive for the writers to write fanfiction.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Don’t want one. That’s been a major disconnect between game and lore in that important events only occur in the books, and not the game. That needs to stop

Well for one, as many others, I prefer the story to be actually ingame. Furthermore, let's be real here, with the way the story is, why should anyone care about the trashfire filler story between expansions. This time there isn'teven a big mystery as to why we go from the current expansion to the next. In fact so far it seems more like we pretend it never happened, despite how fucking mindboggling the revelations were. I have the feeling that maybe one or two people at blizzard wizend up enough to realise that they couldn't tell a good story there, even if they tried. Maybe they expect that it also wouldn't sell that well. Why waste money on a book during an all time low in customer interest, when you can sell some more seals to wales in DI?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    ideally it won't matter because the novel is set thousands of years ago and details how the dragons inherited the island and describing the immediate aftermath of them becoming aspects

unfortunately it'll probably explain why the horde and alliance are going to the dragon isles in modern times instead
    There's an item that can restore the aspects
    It's referenced in game

Day of the dragon series already covers how they got their powers... whats the point? They can easily just have loremaster cho show some holograms and voice over it.

Please, no more books for a bit. Blizzard has relied on them to tell their narrative far too much lately, and the game would benefit from standing on its own merits for once. Plus, we all know how...sketchy some of the writers are regarding inserting personal politics into WoW.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-07-25 at 05:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gungus View Post

You think the girl born with eight limbs is now a spider?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just keep the story in game thank you very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Books should be used to flesh out the world and characters not for major plot points for expansions.

For example Rise of the Horde, Arthas Rise of the Lich King and Vol'jin Shadows of the Horde. None of which were necessary to understand the expansions of the time but added more to the story.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2022-07-25 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Day of the dragon series already covers how they got their powers... whats the point? They can easily just have loremaster cho show some holograms and voice over it.
    Day of the Dragon goes over how they earned the title and power of the Aspects, but it glosses right over the actual process. As far as I remember the flashbacks end with the defeat of Galakrond while they're protodrakes and Tyr thanking them, then returns to the present day where Alexstrasza is summarising things.

Where Tyr took them, how they gained the Titan's powers and how they took ownership of Wyrmrest Temple, the Dragonshrines and the Dragon Isles, as far as I recall, are all implied at best, if not skipped over.

Day of the Dragon goes over how they earned the title and power of the Aspects, but it glosses right over the actual process. As far as I remember the flashbacks end with the defeat of Galakrond while they're protodrakes and Tyr thanking them, then returns to the present day where Alexstrasza is summarising things.

Where Tyr took them, how they gained the Titan's powers and how they took ownership of Wyrmrest Temple, the Dragonshrines and the Dragon Isles, as far as I recall, are all implied at best, if not skipped over.
    asked for titans blessings
    each aspect was empowered by a titan
    each dragon given unique ability
    neltharion was the earth warder and felt everything that the planet felt
    nozdormu was able to see all timeways and was shown his true death
    ysera was given the ability to travel to the emerald dream
    cant remember the other two

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Books should be used to flesh out the world and characters not for major plot points for expansions.

For example Rise of the Horde, Arthas Rise of the Lich King and Vol'jin Shadows of the Horde. None of which were necessary to understand the expansions of the time but added more to the story.
    But that goes for all of the recent books. Shadows Rising was basically the most ignorable story out there. You don't even need the Sylvanas one as everything revealed in it was actually already in the game. People were just too blinded with hate to see the whole "Sylvanas is still an anti-hero and does everything for the greater good because the Jailer lied to her" angle.

(what it did though is actually fix BfA I will give you that. But BfA wasn't the fault of the current writers so it's not fair to pin that on them imo)

#TEAMGIRAFFE

I totally forgot about the book they announced and there's almost no time left for a release and we basically haven't heard anything? I was pretty sure they said it would come before Dragonflight. <4 months left.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Hope they never release books again that are directly connected to the game.
    The story should be IN THE GAME. It is so barebones storywise allready. They should not outsource part of it.

Use the books to flesh out the history of wow. Like a titan book. A book from the point of view of a draenei during the fall of argus. Something like this.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am very confident that Blizzard has radically changed their approach into a more FF14 style.

We might not know much about hte lore until late beta at the earliest, and this is GOOD and very needed. So a book coming out months before the release would simply not work.
    IT should come out later and at least 80% of it should be covered in the game.