Poll: Predict the year WoW will become free-to-play

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,054
    I know it will happen, but my wish is hopefully never. I guess F2P once it enters maintenance mode.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Never.

    Isn't it pay to win? That's what the other thread says it is.
    Only P2W if you whine enough
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  2. #42
    I don't think it'll go f2p, if anything they'll prob do something with gamepass.

  3. #43
    I’ve thought about this before. I’m not sure it’s inevitable, but I also wouldn’t doubt that we could see it at some point. Historically, subscription games don’t go free to play until they are on their death bed. WoW popularity has definitely declined, but it’s still relatively strong within its market. Hard to predict when WoW will decline far enough for Blizzard to consider making the game free to play.

  4. #44
    That'd probably just make the box/expansion free with gamepass, and make the sub still a thing (or maybe reduced price if on GP).

    I doubt they'd fully abandon the revenue stream.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    Microsoft has been real hands off with everyone they've bought.
    That's because the main purpose is to acquire competition. If the newly acquired competition becomes dead weight they'll have their employees transferred to Microsoft's own projects.

  6. #46
    After seeing the new furry-do of Hogger, I'd say sooner than later.

  7. #47
    Why do people think WoW is ever going F2P considering subscription model based services are making a comeback stronger than ever?

  8. #48
    it should have happened since long ago, the only mmos that are still pure subscription are wow, ffxiv and ffxi (which is kind of hilarious for ffxi because there's barely anyone left there), everything else is either free or one time purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Why do people think WoW is ever going F2P considering subscription model based services are making a comeback stronger than ever?
    there are only 3 mmos left that are still subscription (wow, ffxiv, ffxi)... and they are all decades old, the other genres dont have anything pure subscription related, there is a difference between subscription services that give you temporary access without purchasing videogame products (like playstation+, ea play etc) and a videogame product that requires subscription itself, the latter system was exclusive to mmos and has been gone since long ago, and the subscription services are basically like going to a video club and borrowing a videogame, it works the same way, that system has always been here
    Last edited by Elfezen; 2022-07-15 at 12:59 PM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    They're not going to add it to GamePass, they'd be giving up a ton of revenue and basically be slashing WoW's budget to do that, which would destroy the game.

    OT: The game is already F2P up to level 20, I could see them extending that up to the start of the current expansion, but I doubt it would go further than that.
    considering the wow subs are dead,and many pay with gold,the sub is likely their smalest revenue,the expasnion sales and the token is what brings in more money,and when microsoft takes over,they can just fill up the shop with a bunch of cosmetics,the whales will love it,proly make way more money than they do today

  10. #50
    I hope anytime soon. Nothing can be as bad as nowadays wow, so subs are not reallyj justified. They already make a fortune with all their MTR and their boosting ponzi scheme, so lets ask them to be a little bit less greedy.
    Last edited by cantrip; 2022-07-15 at 01:17 PM.

  11. #51
    The same year I stop playing I guess, or after that date if I die first.

    To Americans: This November, vote like your life depends on it, because it does.

  12. #52
    The sub will go to gamepass ultimate or a new tier that is almost assured. It will not be free to play now that MS owns it. They are going to use WoW gamepass subs to bolster their gamepass sub numbers. Also they are going to retire the WoW token as it has caused much damage to the game.

    My guess is that they will grandfather everybody into the tokens they have left, It makes no sense for them to have the token as it competes directly with gamepass subscriptions, They also have their own rewards system that allows you to get game pass for free and they're not going to want people to be able to buy games through playing WoW, they want you on gamepass.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It will not be free to play now that MS owns it. They are going to use WoW gamepass subs to bolster their gamepass sub numbers.
    This is the funniest part of your comment. GamePass has something like 50 million subscribers. MS doesn't give a shit about "bolstering" that number with the WoW sub numbers, because WoW has like, 5, maybe 6 million subscribers right now? That's insignificant compared to GP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Also they are going to retire the WoW token as it has caused much damage to the game.

    My guess is that they will grandfather everybody into the tokens they have left, It makes no sense for them to have the token as it competes directly with gamepass subscriptions, They also have their own rewards system that allows you to get game pass for free and they're not going to want people to be able to buy games through playing WoW, they want you on gamepass.
    They're not going to remove the Token, because again, they'd literally be giving up free money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    i find it hard to believe some random raid from BFA would draw in more players than the battleground patch in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    FruitySalad boy, this is a fantastic thread and is really going places. I just want to make sure I'm on page one of what is bound to be a long lasting and productive thread. It's amazing there are no other threads discussing the squish, as I'm confident you would have just posted in them if they did exist.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    This is the funniest part of your comment. GamePass has something like 50 million subscribers. MS doesn't give a shit about "bolstering" that number with the WoW sub numbers, because WoW has like, 5, maybe 6 million subscribers right now? That's insignificant compared to GP.



    They're not going to remove the Token, because again, they'd literally be giving up free money.
    They will do it, just a matter of time now.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  15. #55
    Why would it ever go f2p? There will be a final expansion after which Blizzard will no longer develop new content, but before they waive the sub they turn off the servers.

  16. #56
    More likely be BTP like elderscroll then ftp

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Technically it is already F2P and P2W because of WoW token.
    Yeah, all the people in this thread saying "NEVER". I mean have they played the game? Its literally FREE until level 20 and you can buy everything with gold or you can buy everything with money.

    WoW is already F2P my dudes.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They will do it, just a matter of time now.
    Ah yes, of course. They'll give up that free extra 5$ a month, because "Just trust me bro"


    In terms of likelihood, I rank them thus:

    In the "Not going to, but may happen" tier, I put "Merging WoW in to GamePass".

    In the "omegalul are you braindead and/or have zero understanding of how business' work" tier, I put the removal of the Token. No business is going to give up that free money, especially when they've got shareholders to satisfy.
    Last edited by Stickiler; 2022-07-16 at 01:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    i find it hard to believe some random raid from BFA would draw in more players than the battleground patch in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    FruitySalad boy, this is a fantastic thread and is really going places. I just want to make sure I'm on page one of what is bound to be a long lasting and productive thread. It's amazing there are no other threads discussing the squish, as I'm confident you would have just posted in them if they did exist.

  19. #59
    2028 when someone makes a private server once the retail servers shut down because of incompetent management making the game economically unsustainable in 2026 following a player revolt when they tried to implement new revenue streams in 2024.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    A) It's possible that the people at MS are total fools and they'll gut one of the most significant revenue steams of the thing they just bought, but doesn't seem likely to me.
    “Most significant revenue streams”? The fuck are you people smoking?

    MS is looking to buy ALL of ATVI, right? According to the Q1 2022 quarterly results, Blizzard makes up about 20% of ATVI’s revenue (of which the WoW sub is only a small fraction) and has only 6% of ATVI’s MAUs. The “best” thing you can say about WoW (and Blizzard in general) is that on average they’re able to squeeze more money out of each of their customers. It just doesn’t account for much in comparison to the rest of the business.

    Blizzard is certainly a profitable part of ATVI, but it was not the main draw for Microsoft, and WoW’s subscription fee is definitely not a significant revenue stream for the Microsoft deal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •