Poll: Predict the year WoW will become free-to-play

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't mind subscription, - or should I say I wouldn't mind subscription if we would get quality content frequently. But that is not the case, the prices are rising, and quality is dropping. And they're surprised that they're losing players.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

i havent paid for a wow sub with money since the token was introduced. when the token dropped i was ballz deep in the gold garrison missions of wod. 30k a token at launch. was making that per toon in garrison missions weekly. i paid for my account thru 2024 with tokens from garrison missions alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    the prices are rising
    no they are not, sub price is the same since begining (despite inflation, so technicaly lower)

quality is dropping
    eh, debatable and subjective, imo quality is fine pacing was only big issue in SL for me (technicaly quantity too, if we get better pacing we would get 9.3)

And they're surprised that they're losing players.
    lets not ignore the game is almost 18y old, a lot of people left due to things hapening outside of the game (i know for some people its weird concept but some of us do have other things going on in our lives than WoW)
    not to mention we have no clue how many players there actualy is, but expansions are selling better and better... if DF breaks records (again) we can safely say theres still shitloads of players, who probably just play cyclicaly rather than whole time

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    no they are not, sub price is the same since begining (despite inflation, so technicaly lower)
    Great for Americans I guess, but I'm not from USA.
    https://www.okaygotcha.com/2021/03/w...on-prices.html

eh, debatable and subjective, imo quality is fine pacing was only big issue in SL for me (technicaly quantity too, if we get better pacing we would get 9.3)
    I think cut content (WoD) and rush jobs when it comes to content, should count for that. How many times they released something and they had to change it due to bad feedback?

lets not ignore the game is almost 18y old, a lot of people left due to things hapening outside of the game (i know for some people its weird concept but some of us do have other things going on in our lives than WoW)
    not to mention we have no clue how many players there actualy is, but expansions are selling better and better... if DF breaks records (again) we can safely say theres still shitloads of players, who probably just play cyclicaly rather than whole time
    There are lots of factors why people are leaving. For me the biggest issue is - this game felt like a second job, and the gameplay no longer gave joy. Oddly enough I had more fun playing classic.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Never, why go f2p when people still buy xpacs, sub, and buy tokens. Is someone retarded in charge at Blizzard?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Never.

It doesn't need too. One of the first MMO's ever made Ultima Online is still a paid subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it classed as free 2 play if it requires game pass to play it? That's the only way I can see it changing from what we have now.
    An Karanir Thanagor

If this woke path Blizz is on keeps going, it's not going to take long for this game to go F2P

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    lol "I pull facts ot of my ass and it's gold"

It will never be F2P. At best it will be integrated to the gamepass, which isn't free either.
    Has a go at someone making a facts up and then makes his own fact up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    At no point have I claimed people weren't getting gold from the token or that gold can not be used to acquire power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    p2w is not inherently unfair.

Proper F2P? Probably never.
    Some botched bastard system that is everything and nothing at once? Probably 3-5 years away.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I always figured the "death" of wow would look something like this - they announce a final expansion, that is kind of like a "greatest hits" - something with chrommie time or whatever where we relive popular moments from wows history.

After that, the game stays in that state and goes into maint mode, with pvp being the new focus. F2P with cosmetic cash shop, focus is on arena and bgs, and it fades into obscurity. Maybe a couple of balance patches per year, and a few sets here and there for the shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Microsoft is the company that charges per month for access to Word and Excel, who in the xbox 360 days, charged monthly just to be able to play games online. They're the king of the monthly "live service". They won't stop wow being monthly.

I'm on the "Game Pass merger" boat. For the same sub more or less WoW players get more stuff - and at this point doesn't really matter if you keep playing or not or if you take breaks because chances are you're playing other Game Pass games and keep it active anyway.

This also means a chance of injecting many new players to the game which have possible have never played it or have long gone, just because it's in there, it's a famous game, so why not trying.

All in all it's a win-win situation. Going fully F2P? Not a chance.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by richardhuntr View Post
    Microsoft is the company that charges per month for access to Word and Excel, who in the xbox 360 days, charged monthly just to be able to play games online. They're the king of the monthly "live service". They won't stop wow being monthly.
    MS is more of a possible vector to introduce a F2P freemium option with their games pass and a possible bare bones mode that heavily limits the player (bags, bank, etc) which then could in future lead to the normal sub raising in price and be considered the premium game. Either way, any change to the payment system will be incremental, MS surely knows how to slowly boil the frog alive.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

if at least 1 solid mmo or 2 average ones come out, wowlike (pve, alot of pve) and great publicity. ofc the games have to be good and draw more and more players after.
    i don't think wow will outlast the onslaught. depending on the evolution of the competition wow would have to get "fresh" or others to flop.
    wouldn't take more than 3-4 years if that game or games were decent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    It's foolish to believe WoW will remain a subbed game forever, considering how much money companies make from having their games go free-to-play. Despite that, WoW has a loyal and addicted group of fanbase that will never quit no matter what (probably over 500,000 of people like this) which could sustain subs for another decade.
    I would guess 2026 or so if things stay the same (but they won't...see below) but to counter that I don't think it's foolish at all. People have gotten so wound up about the subscription the years and may not be noticing how much of the internet is now going to subscription-based revenue. Newsletters, game passes, software, music, audiobooks, e-books, there's a ton of stuff that you now pay monthly for.

The kicker in all of this is Microsoft. If WoW goes on a game pass then you tell me, is that F2P or not? I would say not. I would also say that this is the most likely outcome.

Love all these threads that want to think that Blizzard is going to go along as they have for decades once MSFT becomes their new bosses. Blizzard is ripe for a lot of change and I think MSFT will push for it. MSFT won't be interested in sustain; they'll be interested in growth. There are lots of ways to do that without going F2P.

EDIT re Token: No, that won't go away. Just about every MMO on the planet has a way to exchange game currencies for store cash items and vice versa. It's a standard feature now and no amount of fainting-couch hysterics on the part of some is going to change the fact that people use the token for lots of stuff and hasn't damaged the game at all. It's arguable that boosting has hurt the game as well. It's easier to point out the benefits for revenue enhancement, players buying their progress and if you need a villain then point yourselves at the many guilds that are selling boosts. If players being boosted are the victims, then the guilds that advertise it are the sales point/connection/pusher.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-07-26 at 06:25 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by richardhuntr View Post
    Oh, they'd absolutely throw the WoW sub in with GamePass Ultimate if they think it'll get a large number of subs quickly. More than likely, they're going to increase the price of that in the future once they've got a ton of subs.

Those of you who want F2P should be careful what you wish for. All that will mean is tiered gameplay, where the remaining subscribers get 15 minute hearthstones, extra bag space and flight mode, while F2P players default to 60 minute hearthstones, limited auction house transactions and 60% ground mounts. The F2P players will get gouged if they want the same type of game as the subscribers. That's exactly how SWTOR works, which is why I just remained subscribed to that game after they went free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I always figured the "death" of wow would look something like this - they announce a final expansion, that is kind of like a "greatest hits" - something with chrommie time or whatever where we relive popular moments from wows history.

After that, the game stays in that state and goes into maint mode, with pvp being the new focus. F2P with cosmetic cash shop, focus is on arena and bgs, and it fades into obscurity. Maybe a couple of balance patches per year, and a few sets here and there for the shop.
    I can imagine that as well.

10-20 years from now = entering ancient era as the game would be more than 30years old. Teens from the oringal era would be more than 40-50 years old - neutral drop in the playerbase.

20-40 years from now = the game is basically reaches human lifetime. Orginal players would be older than 60 by this time. Newer generations can't probably relate to this game.

Death of WoW = if Blizzard fails to recruit new players(and they are forced to F2P to attract wider audiance). Or - they make a complete new game, with a more modern approach. I don't ever believe some other product will wipe out WoW.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-07-28 at 08:06 PM.