Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli85 View Post
    I never said it was impossible. But when people who don't want to deal with loot management and drama have to disregard 8 out of 10 groups, an additional hurdle is created to get these players into raid content. That is not a good situation.

This logic is easily used to justify the continued personal loot system in all content. So that doesn't actually advance your argument in any way.

I never said people want to abuse it, ever. Re-read all of my posts. I've never said that. What I have said is that a large amount of people have issues when their fellow players decides who gets loot and who doesn't. The mass amount of loot tickets during WoD is proof of this. The WoW community has not improved to the point where this is not going to become an issue. The only situation where this choice becomes a positive is in guilds where the officers are completely trusted, and those guilds are few in number (and largely concentrated at the top).

Honestly, the better compromise would be to make changes to how loot works: namely get rid of the ridiculous power items (you know, the trinkets that sky rocket your numbers), or make the differences in item levels far less profound. When you don't tie immense gains to player power to upgrades, and instead shift most of the performance to competency, I think you wouldn't see near the level of drama over "waaah so and so got it but I think it benefits me more!" People get dramatic because they know the looters decision not to give them upgrades significantly impacts their ability to keep up with other players in the raid.
    1. Well then disregard 8 out of 10 groups and join the other 2 out of 10 groups then. That "hurdle" doesn't seem too bad to me.

2. Argument? I'm not arguing for or against PL my dude. I'm arguing against people wanting others to not have a choice. Me acknowledging that ML has flaws doesn't make PL any better. Because PL still has copious amounts of flaws, but I don't find it necessary to throw out either. Make both better, and the game gets better. Removing something isn't always the best option.

3. You're right you never actively said it, but the vast amount of those tickets were from people complaining about items being ninja'd. Which, is still abuse of the system, is it not? If you join a ML Pug raid, 99% of the time it's gonna be a MS>OS with rolls. Maybe an item or two on reserve for the raid leader and/or friends. The only time other people choose whether you get gear or not would be in a guild loot council system. And if you don't want to deal with that, don't join a guild with loot council. Or join a guild who embraces PL. If you join a guild and you don't like how the officers treat loot, leave and find another. These are not mind-blowing decisions.

4. That's not a bad idea, but at the same time, I play an RPG for power gains. Maybe the immense power gains of say, legendary rings, arcanocrystal etc are a little much, but I think having amazing items are a good thing. Having a 1% increase per item is boring as all hell.

Personally, i just plainly refute the "Ticket" argument, largely for two reasons.

1. In Legion, ML was effectively dead for pugs, because you had to be in a guildgroup.
    That meant the only people even able to write a tickets in regards to loot complaints were
    - People who raid in a guild (which is a minority)
    - People who actually pull a karen and complain to a GM about how their guild distributed Loot

I frankly do not see this as a large group and if someone makes a lot of noise because of the same issue over and over again, Blizzard will just auto delete the tickets made from that account.

2. Classic exists
    For all we know, the raiding population (at least anything above LFR that is) is huge in Classic in comparison to Retail.
    There you have ML and there Loot is arguably even more contested because you have little to no alternatives when it comes to gearing your character past a certain point.

I'm going to take a wild guess and that some players write tickets there as well because of ninja looting or whatever, somehow Blizzard must be able to manage that.
    Since 2019 i might add.

Quote Originally Posted by Icechaosss View Post
    1. Well then disregard 8 out of 10 groups and join the other 2 out of 10 groups then. That "hurdle" doesn't seem too bad to me.
    Not every group is "joinable" for many reasons. To disregard 80% of listed groups is a major hurdle. People aren't going to sit around waiting.

2. Argument? I'm not arguing for or against PL my dude. I'm arguing against people wanting others to not have a choice. Me acknowledging that ML has flaws doesn't make PL any better. Because PL still has copious amounts of flaws, but I don't find it necessary to throw out either. Make both better, and the game gets better. Removing something isn't always the best option.
    You have made several arguments. I fail to see how you can't see this.

3. You're right you never actively said it, but the vast amount of those tickets were from people complaining about items being ninja'd. Which, is still abuse of the system, is it not? If you join a ML Pug raid, 99% of the time it's gonna be a MS>OS with rolls. Maybe an item or two on reserve for the raid leader and/or friends. The only time other people choose whether you get gear or not would be in a guild loot council system. And if you don't want to deal with that, don't join a guild with loot council. Or join a guild who embraces PL. If you join a guild and you don't like how the officers treat loot, leave and find another. These are not mind-blowing decisions.
    All of what you listed are things that keep people out of raiding. You aren't going to grow raiding when players have to deal with loot drama. Anecdotally, at 37, I don't want to deal with any loot drama. Personal Loot was nice because it reduced all the drama to near unnoticeable levels. When I was younger? I tolerated it. But the last thing I want to see in raid groups is meltdowns over loot, and I will avoid raiding because of it.

4. That's not a bad idea, but at the same time, I play an RPG for power gains. Maybe the immense power gains of say, legendary rings, arcanocrystal etc are a little much, but I think having amazing items are a good thing. Having a 1% increase per item is boring as all hell.
    You're far too fixated on absolute numbers. +1% is no less boring than +10%. Your power is increasing. That's what matters. Also, the downside to "amazing" items is when you're not the one who gets it, and now you can't compete with people who do get it. That's a terrible feeling.

Not every group is "joinable" for many reasons. To disregard 80% of listed groups is a major hurdle. People aren't going to sit around waiting.

You have made several arguments. I fail to see how you can't see this.

All of what you listed are things that keep people out of raiding. You aren't going to grow raiding when players have to deal with loot drama. Anecdotally, at 37, I don't want to deal with any loot drama. Personal Loot was nice because it reduced all the drama to near unnoticeable levels. When I was younger? I tolerated it. But the last thing I want to see in raid groups is meltdowns over loot, and I will avoid raiding because of it.

You're far too fixated on absolute numbers. +1% is no less boring than +10%. Your power is increasing. That's what matters. Also, the downside to "amazing" items is when you're not the one who gets it, and now you can't compete with people who do get it. That's a terrible feeling.
    1. You say I'm focused on numbers, yet you're hung up on 80% not being joinable, when that's obviously extremely exaggerated.

2. My "arguments" are for choice, not inherently for or against a particular system. Fail to see how you can't see that.

3. If you think finding a guild that suits your tastes and preferences "Keep people out of raiding" then I really can't help you at that point. It takes the slightest bit of effort to vet a guild before you join. Not foolproof at all, of course. But if you can't do the bare minimum, I really can't help you.

4. Your numbers increasing a certain amount is being fun or not is completely subjective. I don't find 1% power gains fun. I find 10% power gains fun. Fun, to me, is what matters. As for the terrible feeling, you're not incorrect. But that's why I advocate for things like VP or currency to let you work towards certain items. Taking away items don't make the game better. But having ways to work towards those items, in my opinion, do. I'm not gonna play a game if instead of doing 100 dps, I do 110 dps by the end of the tier. I will, however, play the game if instead of doing 100 dps, by the end of the tier I'm doing 150 dps. Bit of a crude example, but it's my preference.

The issue with this argument is that people simply vote with their feet in that regard.

If a significant portion of ML groups are just plain abusive towards regular members, people would avoid them more actively, which makes its maintenance much more difficult and you'd see a decline in such groups.
    If truly 80% of all players (at least the ones that are raiding) join ML runs / guilds / whatever, then that's because most prefer it that way, else you wouldn't see such a huge mass of players gravitating towards that loot system.
    Do some join out of it just being the only option available? Sure, but that's not going to be the case for the majority of players.

You might say "well, people who organize these runs benefit from it, so everyone just goes along with it!", ignores that this is at its core a basic consumer vs Supplier relationship.
    If most people would truly prefer PL, then sooner or later any run that hasn't shifted towards PL will face issues recruiting people because people would rather join PL runs.
    It would also make recruitment of players much easier for PL runs if that's what most prefer, which is a significant burden for most organizers.

The people who organize these runs aren't just in on some big conspiracy to exploit the masses, everyone is able to organize runs and if a certain run has much better terms than any other, it will fill much quicker and be far easier to organize and thus in turn make any other run much harder to organize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pugs using group loot with extra rules on top is a red flag, guilds using group loot is fine.

Just all pass and the ML need and distribute it as they would otherwise.
    It just involves one more step of having to actually trade the recepient. Cumbersome but we'll deal with it.

If you don't like this idea I suggest you join a guild that doesn't use group loot. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Please do tell us what it solves.
    It's something to be abused by top guilds, nothing else. Most of the playerbase is glad to not have to deal with loot management and loot drama.

Actually even being group loot it's extremely bad. Blizz is saying you have to accept you want to hand over the loot whether it's good for you or not or deal with the social consequences and that will be the return of loot drama. Maybe it's just to remind everyone about how much worse it was.
    My guild already uses RCloot council with full transparency for votes and rolls with you choosing if you want to put loot up for roll or not so the return of group loot and removal of ilvl restrictions is nothing but a good thing

We actually might be staying with personal loot just so loot spec can help us get trinkets and weapons.

Honestly I think people kinda forget that while personal loot did take a social aspect out of loot it wasn't until the ilvl restrictions were introduced that it became a real issue. Not being able to trade a BiS trinket to your tank because it was 5ilvl higher than what you had or give a caster an off hand because you didn't have one was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Man View Post
    My guild already uses RCloot council with full transparency for votes and rolls with you choosing if you want to put loot up for roll or not so the return of group loot and removal of ilvl restrictions is nothing but a good thing

We actually might be staying with personal loot just so loot spec can help us get trinkets and weapons.

Honestly I think people kinda forget that while personal loot did take a social aspect out of loot it wasn't until the ilvl restrictions were introduced that it became a real issue. Not being able to trade a BiS trinket to your tank because it was 5ilvl higher than what you had or give a caster an off hand because you didn't have one was terrible.
    I would assume the ilvl restrictions will still apply for PL. But maybe not, who knows.
    Tbh removing them might encourage more guilds to keep using that system, so there is an argument to be had for that.

Just tossing in my five cent:

I remember being in a couple of guilds when master loot was the norm. After a couple of instances of unfair loot distribution due to frienships, girlfriends and people bitching I became very happy when all that stuff went away. But now its back! Yay...

Not gonna waste my time raiding then. Good thing I've gotten into m+'s. I think masterloot is a really horrible system. But if you like it, more power to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Only good thing is that you can trade without ilvl restriction. Did they say anything about PL ilvl restriction? Remove that for raids and PL will be far superior.
    Another weird thing is how they treat casters. I almost universally run with a staff on my resto druid. A held in offhand item dropped in a key. I couldn't give it to a mage friend because... reasons. Same with one hander caster items.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Ah I see, you're one of those raid leaders that's guaranteed to be super toxic and controlling over everything. Yeah, I don't really think anyone will miss you not playing the game, if adding back master looter attracts people like you then they definitely made the right call getting rid of it and not adding it.

Because it doesn't solve a single problem yet it adds a bunch. That's objectively bad design, therefore it's trash and the game is better without it.
    You calling master loot trash shows that you have no idea how high end raiding works or mythic raiding therefore why should your opinion matter ? it's content you are not invested in

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflight10 View Post
    You calling master loot trash shows that you have no idea how high end raiding works or mythic raiding therefore why should your opinion matter ? it's content you are not invested in
    The 10 guilds in the world where it actually matters do dozens of split runs anyway. Making the game worse for 99.99% of the playerbase for that... always a good idea...

So glad we spent literal years in the bullshit of personal loot for mythic guilds. At least they saw the light, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    I would assume the ilvl restrictions will still apply for PL. But maybe not, who knows.
    Tbh removing them might encourage more guilds to keep using that system, so there is an argument to be had for that.
    if the restrictions stay for PL im never going to touch that system again.
    The argument for bows dropping with no hunters in the raid is less likely than getting gear that you dont need but cant trade in my experience

people just make this change seem like a bigger deal than it is

PUG: use PL and if a group is using group loot the closest thing they can do to master loot is all rolling need on an item then passing it to the person they wanted it for

guild: likely use whatever system generates more loot

i mean there is a different mentallity in these two situations because in a PUG why care if little billy gets his BiS weapon when its a 10ilvl upgrade for you as opposed to being in a guild where billy getting that upgrade means the boss goes down faster every week and you get more chances at that gear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by talmir View Post
    Just tossing in my five cent:

I remember being in a couple of guilds when master loot was the norm. After a couple of instances of unfair loot distribution due to frienships, girlfriends and people bitching I became very happy when all that stuff went away. But now its back! Yay...

Not gonna waste my time raiding then. Good thing I've gotten into m+'s. I think masterloot is a really horrible system. But if you like it, more power to ya.
    its not back
    its just group loot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The 10 guilds in the world where it actually matters do dozens of split runs anyway. Making the game worse for 99.99% of the playerbase for that... always a good idea...
    Master looter is actually something most mythic raiding guilds, and their members, will appreciate.
    When you care more about universal progression than personal progression, it is the only way to do it right.

The rest of you can keep using personal loot, doesn't bother me in the slighest.
    Don't want loot council? Join guilds that don't use it. Simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Nice to see that Blizzard can learn from some of their mistakes, too bad it always takes YEARS.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    Master looter is actually something most mythic raiding guilds, and their members, will appreciate.
    When you care more about universal progression than personal progression, it is the only way to do it right.

The rest of you can keep using personal loot, doesn't bother me in the slighest.
    Don't want loot council? Join guilds that don't use it. Simple as that.
    The player base at large didn't use master loot responsible, hence the removal. It'll be the same with group loot. I'm happy for you to have found a guild that uses ML to the benefit of everyone in it (although you might want to check this thought with ex-members if everyone actually felt the same, you might be surprised).

10+ Year Old Account
    The player base at large didn't use master loot responsible, hence the removal. It'll be the same with group loot. I'm happy for you to have found a guild that uses ML to the benefit of everyone in it (although you might want to check this thought with ex-members if everyone actually felt the same, you might be surprised).
    I never had that many problems with it, inside and outside of guilds. The whole corrupt loot council thing is more of a problem down the line than it is in higher level guilds. That is because those higher level guilds understand that screwing over members for loot is just shooting themselves in the foot.
    Guilds that do that can never provide a stable environment because they are inherently unstable.

Sure I've seen a handful of ninjas in my time pugging, but considering the amount of content I do and have done in the time that was actual it was negligible.
    You could usually tell by the mental state of the leader as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Depends on many things: is the raid SR/HR?
    Is the raid GDKP?... or everything is just being rolled by MS>OS?
    Is this guild run?... or PUG?
    Does the guild use DKP? EP/GP? Loot council?
    Did the person do good or slacking?

There is no golden answer for all situations.
    It works perfectly on Classic... and people are even willingly paying for these items here.
    Exactly. That's why ML/GL need to return. Personal loot is equal for everyone but equal for everyone is not the best for the guild many times. There's been the same amount of drama about stuff that "i deserved and didn't get" as the modern "it's the 5th time i drop this useless shit i cannot trade".

In the end all people against it are worried about their PUG runs (which is totally fine, i can see the problems arising) but in the end, it's all in the hands of players. If there's going to be a transition to GL for all groups, that just means people like that more. And if it's not true, someone will make groups with PL on and so on.

In an organized group, you want to do what's the best for the group and not for you (ideally). We all know how it really goes though.

- - - Updated - - -

People being inept at using the ingame tools shouldn't be a reason for removing said tools. As i said, not that PL is a thing and is not going to be removed, people is free to create groups with their loot method of choice and players will join if they're fine with it.

If i should follow the same reasoning, r.io and rating should be removed from the game aswell.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    You know that is subjective right? You can't claim it's the "biggest mistake ever"

First you provided no source or information confirming this. Secondly, just because something comes back does mean you were right. Just means they brought it back and testing it.
    They've taken this long to add ducks into the game. biggest mistake EVER!