Thread: Disintegrate

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    And Diablo wizards do not get their power from the Titan Cosmic Force.
    We know that. We're not talking lore, but ability-wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqthefat View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa, whoa. Are you actually trying to say that I am the one saying that anyone using arcane abilities are mages? You're the only one that track. I am the one saying that arcane magic is not exclusive to the mage, and I did that by showing MULTIPLE instances of overlap.
    You're saying Mages and Balance Druids use the same magic.

    Cosmic energy is arcane related, underlying cosmic energy does nothing but continue to show your lack of knowledge.
    Never said it isn't. But, you need to distinguish between comsos stuff like Supernovas, Nebulas and Constellars and the Sun and Moon. The domains overlap, but are distinguished in the WoW universe. Mainly, Elune and An'she belonging to the Life realm.

    Star Augur, despite having the title of augur, is actually an astromancer: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Augur_Etraeus

    Which still makes him a mage and even if it didn't my point would still stand: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Astromancy
    I know he is an Astromancer. So are Shadowmoon Orcs.

    Not sure what underlying the words Nightwell energy is meant to prove, not even sure how to respond because you don't have a rebuttal here.
    No word describes any astral body.

    Calling the Astral Farseer a shaman is disingenuous and you know it. At best they're a mage-shaman hybrid. They commune with 0 elements and practice no forms of shamanism. However, even if they were a full shaman, it wouldn't matter because my point still stands. There is one type of arcane magic and mages don't have sole access to it.
    There isn't. As Druids or Priestesses of the Moon\Night Warriors do not draw their lunar powers from something like Arcane wells or books.

    The Nightborne cast aside their relationship to Elune a long time ago, just like the Blood elves and Naga did. You know, I am not the one saying everyone who uses arcane magic is a mage, I'm the one saying that arcane magic can be used by anyone. Thats what the whole point of this shit was.
    "Nighthold citizens can be seen kneeling before a statue of a nightborne priestess wielding a staff with the symbol of a half-moon. Furthermore, Ly'leth gifts the player character an idol with the blessing of Elune. This may indicate that some nightborne continue their worship of Elune to this day."

    If a being uses arcane magic, then yes they are drawing it from the realms of order. Thats how that works. Arcane comes from the realms of order, there isn't a way around that. The night elves drew their arcane magic from the well of eternity. Do you think they had a clue that there were titans or even a sleeping titan at that bottom of that well? No, they didn't. You don't need to know shit about the realms of order to draw on arcane magic.
    Azeroth was meant to be a Titan. Therefore, her blood was Arcane.
    Are you implying Elune is a Titan?

    There are 6 cosmic forces: Light, Void, Disorder, Order, Life and Death. Each of them have a type of magic that comes from their realm of existence. Light gives holy, Void gives Shadow, Disorder gives Fel, Order gives Arcane, Life gives Nature, and Death gives Death. This is old information, you should know this.
    Light can also cause Fire damage.
    Void can also deal Frost damage.
    Disorder can cause either Shadow or Fire damage.
    The Titan Pantheon specializes in different kinds of magic.
    Elune is part of the domain of Life, and therefore it is also associated with Arcane.
    Death gives death, yet Kyrians use Arcane and Night Fae use Nature.

    Someone didn't do the recent Lordaeron quests. Necromancy is not death magic. Maldraxxus only uses death magic to practice it.

    "Margrave Sin’dane: Necromancy is the art of animating unliving flesh. Here in Maldraxxus, we use the magic of Death to accomplish our craft.
    Margrave Sin’dane: But whether these rituals are empowered by Death or Light or any other magic, necromancy is necromancy. You perceive a difference where there is none, child."
    It was all these years. Until that part. We knew others were capable of Necromancy, but we assumed they used Death Magic. Now, it begs the question, how did the others learn necromancy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    ... You're this close to being aware of the nonsense that is your argument.

    Because it's easy to distinguish the Diablo wizard from the WoW mage. Why? Because they're from different games AND franchises. Any and all similarities between the two are meaningless.
    No, it isn't. They work and operate pretty much the same.

  2. #142
    OP I hope you out what same kind of energy into your real life responsibilities as you do this thread.

    You'd be damn near unstoppable

  3. #143
    evokers are wizards, are mages, are evokers OP is really weird to be this upset about this

  4. #144
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,805
    Let's put the unrelated and rolling debate of whether the cosmos is or isn't arcane-aspected to bed and return to the actual topic of the thread, a Disintegrate-like effect for the Evoker class.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Let's put the unrelated and rolling debate of whether the cosmos is or isn't arcane-aspected to bed and return to the actual topic of the thread, a Disintegrate-like effect for the Evoker class.
    You know a thread is bad when even the mods don't know what the OP is trying to say.

  6. #146
    --- snip ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Let's put the unrelated and rolling debate of whether the cosmos is or isn't arcane-aspected to bed and return to the actual topic of the thread, a Disintegrate-like effect for the Evoker class.

    Sorry, I was writing my last post about arcane magic before you had put this up. So didn't get to see this until after I had posted it.

    Mod Edit: I snipped your reply to the derailing tangent to ensure it doesn't keep going.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-07-20 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Removed original reply

  7. #147
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    You know a thread is bad when even the mods don't know what the OP is trying to say.
    Based on the OP's post, they're asking why the Evoker has a Disintegrate-type ability where the Mage (oddly using the Diablo Wizard to stand in for the archetypal fantasy Mage) class in WoW does not. That's a fine question to ask and is at least somewhat on the topic of the thread, whereas arguing over what is or isn't "cosmic" or "arcane" is not.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Based on the OP's post, they're asking why the Evoker has a Disintegrate-type ability where the Mage (oddly using the Diablo Wizard to stand in for the archetypal fantasy Mage) class in WoW does not. That's a fine question to ask and is at least somewhat on the topic of the thread, whereas arguing over what is or isn't "cosmic" or "arcane" is not.
    obviously, evokers are mages

  9. #149
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,805
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    obviously, evokers are mages
    I would agree, but I suppose the question is open enough to ask - especially since Evokers have some unique abilities based on their natures (or in this case, their draconic Essence) that a typical Mage could never leverage without access to that Essence.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  10. #150
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    23,941
    The OP's question was answered on page 2;

    This is the Evoker's Disintegrate ability;



    That's why Mages don't have it, because they can't turn into dragons and breath arcane fire from their mouths.

  11. #151
    Why is roll a monk ability instead of a demon hunter? They have vault in diablo and hots

  12. #152
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The OP's question was answered on page 2;

    This is the Evoker's Disintegrate ability;

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/31...ef63cfb6c6.jpg

    That's why Mages don't have it, because they can't turn into dragons and breath arcane fire from their mouths.
    And yet mages have an ability called "Dragon's Breath" that literally summons a dragon's head to breathe fire on enemies, so why couldn't that happen for this "disintegrate" spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Based on the OP's post, they're asking why the Evoker has a Disintegrate-type ability where the Mage (oddly using the Diablo Wizard to stand in for the archetypal fantasy Mage) class in WoW does not. That's a fine question to ask and is at least somewhat on the topic of the thread, whereas arguing over what is or isn't "cosmic" or "arcane" is not.
    Oddly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The OP's question was answered on page 2;

    This is the Evoker's Disintegrate ability;

    That's why Mages don't have it, because they can't turn into dragons and breath arcane fire from their mouths.
    More like Frost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Why is roll a monk ability instead of a demon hunter? They have vault in diablo and hots
    Because Demon Hunter is not a Monk?

  14. #154
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,805
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Oddly?
    Yes, oddly. Mixing IP's tends to cause confusion, as it certainly has in this thread. Diablo's retinue of casters and the ones in WoW have very different lore and entirely different gameplay.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Yes, oddly. Mixing IP's tends to cause confusion, as it certainly has in this thread. Diablo's retinue of casters and the ones in WoW have very different lore and entirely different gameplay.
    I wouldn't say it's very different.
    Lore-wise, they resemble the Highborne.
    Gameplay-wise, they definitely resemble the Mage.

  16. #156
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's very different.
    Lore-wise, they resemble the Highborne.
    Gameplay-wise, they definitely resemble the Mage.
    Yes, very different. Having a few similarities does not preclude them being very different. I can find similarities between a toy car and a boeing 747. I can also find similarities between humans and trees. But none of that means they're not very different from each other.

    AFAIK, there's no elves in the Diablo world, much less any 'highborne'. Gameplay-wise? That's a vague similarity because the Diablo wizard also "definitely resembles" the shaman class, with lightning spells and spells with melee range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Why is Disintegrate an Evoker ability instead of a Mage one?
    It is an iconic Li-Ming ability:

    Disintegrate
    80 Mana Cooldown: 20 seconds
    Channel a powerful beam, dealing 480 damage over 2.6 seconds to enemies while they are in it. The direction of the beam changes with your mouse cursor position.



    But FROST mages do have Ray of Frost which is pretty much the same ability.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    AFAIK, there's no elves in the Diablo world, much less any 'highborne'. Gameplay-wise? That's a vague similarity because the Diablo wizard also "definitely resembles" the shaman class, with lightning spells and spells with melee range.
    You are aware that WoW Mages use Lightning as well, right?
    The WC2 Mage and Medivh, for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    But FROST mages do have Ray of Frost which is pretty much the same ability.
    It is similar, but not identical.
    For instance, the Diablo 3 Wizard has both Ray of Frost and Disintegrate - distinguishing between the two.

  19. #159
    ... this thread has 8 pages?

    =O

  20. #160
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    23,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And yet mages have an ability called "Dragon's Breath" that literally summons a dragon's head to breathe fire on enemies, so why couldn't that happen for this "disintegrate" spell?
    Summoning a magical dragon head =/= transforming into a dragon and breathing spellfrost from mouth ala Kalecgos.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    More like Frost.
    To be accurate it’s Spellfrost, the signature magic school of the Blue Dragonflight.


    I don’t think mages have many spellfrost abilities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •