Poll: Defund the Police U.S or anywhere?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Neither of those are legitimate concerns. The first misses the entire point of the movement in what I assume must be intentional bad faith, because literally any amount of time spent looking into it would have shown that's not what people are saying.
    A bad slogan mean that people spend ZERO time on looking into it.
    That's the reality.

And the third issue is that there's no coherent uniting theme behind the slogan; some talk about reforms - some say reforms don't work and abolishing the police is needed.

And the second, literally nobody argues that these reforms could be immediate and effortless. But delaying the start point only serves to delay the final end point, too. It's an argument used to delay and deflect, and also thus not presented as a good-faith criticism.
    WHOOOOOSH!

The point is that if done right you would have to start with having the cost of extra social workers (or improved schools or ...) in addition to the police - not instead of. Thus you don't 'defund' anything at the start.

You're making my point for me.

boy, sure is a lot of hand wringing over slogans and not any effort put into why we should do police reform, kinda sus bro.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    wow, who knew propaganda meant to dilute the message could be so effective. not that opinion polls matter one fucking iota when police reform is very necessary regardless of your feelings.
    As I have stated before on this site I am 100% for police reform. I want more accountability, I want a shit load more training, closer to that of what some of the EU countries have(around 3 years). I also want higher standards. 6 months training is absolutely not enough time to train police properly with the amount of stuff the US requires them to do. I am also all for the mental health professionals to help with tasks that they would be far better showing up to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    A bad slogan mean that people spend ZERO time on looking into it.
    That's the reality.
    The willfully ignorant spend zero time looking into it.

And like I said; that's a bubble that lines up perfectly with the "actively malicious" bubble, in practice.

And the third issue is that there's no coherent uniting theme behind the slogan; some talk about reforms - some say reforms don't work and abolishing the police is needed.
    Yeah, not a requirement for any movement in history, you're just making stuff up to try and defuse a progressive movement.

There wasn't full agreement on things during the Civil Rights movement in the '50s and '60s, and some pretty deep divides on some things. Didn't mean there wasn't a uniting theme.

And in the same framing, Defund the Police has at least as concrete a theme as the Civil Rights movement. Same applies to Black Lives Matter, too.

WHOOOOOSH!

The point is that if done right you would have to start with having the cost of extra social workers (or improved schools or ...) in addition to the police - not instead of. Thus you don't 'defund' anything at the start.

You're making my point for me.
    Really not, because here, you're just straight-up lying about the Defund movement. Why would I entertain intentionally dishonest nonsense like this as a valid argument?

Nothing in the "Defund" movement was about reducing public spending overall. Stop lying about shit, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    As I have stated before on this site I am 100% for police reform. I want more accountability, I want a shit load more training, closer to that of what some of the EU countries have(around 3 years). I also want higher standards. 6 months training is absolutely not enough time to train police properly with the amount of stuff the US requires them to do. I am also all for the mental health professionals to help with tasks that they would be far better showing up to.
    fuck off with this accountability bullshit. that is about as empty a slogan as the ones you guys are pissing and shitting over.

no, way more effort should be put into improving communities so cops are not necessary to deal with most day to day law enforcement. they should only be used in extreme dangerous situations.

but of course that would require the government serves some function beyond lining the pockets of the capitalist class, so I guess it is all for nothing.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-07-15 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    boy, sure is a lot of hand wringing over slogans and not any effort put into why we should do police reform, kinda sus bro.
    It's all empty, dishonest deflection, trying to forestall meaningful change. It's the same thing as chanting "all lives matter" at BLM activists. It's the same thing as trying to marginalize the LGBT rights movement because "riots are bad". It's obstructionism, plain and simple.

fuck off with this accountability bullshit. that is about as empty a slogan as the ones you guys are pissing and shitting over.

no, way more effort should be put into improving communities so cops are not necessary to deal with most day to day law enforcement. they should only be used in extreme dangerous situations.
    I mean we should literally do both, this is not one of those things we have to pick and choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    I mean we should literally do both, this is not one of those things we have to pick and choose.
    nah, (insert "problematic" slogan here).

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    You could do both?
    the issue is that the two aren't equal and connected in that way. the former is actively deterred by the latter.

While we are working on the underlying problems we should enforce the laws and dont let criminals run wild because why not
    most 'criminals' are the result of the underlying problem, and the underlying problem is that we create the need for criminals to exist in the first place.

this is the fundamental rot in civilization the world over, its just showing on the surface in the U.S. quite strongly right now.
    those in power make life shit for everyone in order to enrich their own existence past any reasonable (or even insane) extent of human decadence, make laws to prohibit any of the means in which everyone can react to being shit on to try to avoid being shit on, and then employ what is effectively a private mercenary army (the police) to violently oppress the population and put down anyone who acts out.

95% of common crime would be eliminated over night if we just stopped forcing people to commit crime.
    sure there's a systemic element within human beings that will fail to adhere to the social contract, but that is a tiny TINY fraction of illegal activity.

The willfully ignorant spend zero time looking into it.
    The ones that aren't attracted by the slogan spend zero time looking into it.
    That's the reality: deal with it.

I'm more more and more convinced that the slogan is so bad that it is an attempt to deliberately fail - I still haven't figured out why.

Yeah, not a requirement for any movement in history, you're just making stuff up to try and defuse a progressive movement.
    It's not a requirement - but that means it will cause some to lose interest after a brief investigation. Thus in combination with the other problems of the bad slogan it will fail even harder.

Really not, because here, you're just straight-up lying about the Defund movement.
    In what way? The point is that the Defund movement is intellectually dishonest by framing it as a defunding when it would need to fund both the police and the replacement at the start.

Nothing in the "Defund" movement was about reducing public spending overall. Stop lying about shit, dude.
    You are straight up lying - I didn't write that.

I stated that if attempted in a good way it would increase public spending overall and not keep it constant, because there would be a need to do both the social work (that in the long term would reduce crime) and the police work (to keep crime under control in the short run). Thus the focus on 'defunding' is misplaced.

You have to assume everyone is stupid and start with that point. Then next you have to be willing to talk in line you would with teaching a child to tie its shoes, this is the way of the US its better to just deal with it like that then talk down or berate them as they will hurt themselves to spite you.

"Living wage" isn't a slogan, it's a pretty basic term in economics.

And "pro-choice" has absolutely been misrepresented and lied about in exactly the same ways as "Defund the Police" has, with misgynist shitheads shrieking that they're "choosing murder" or whatever stupid-ass talking point they have that year. The only real difference is we've got like a half-century of pro-life/pro-choice activity now, so the two slogans have been simple labels, where their original meaning doesn't even really matter any more.

And in that 50 years, pro-lifers are still pushing the same lies about the pro-choice movement. Because they don't care that they're lies.
    Pro life has won popular opinion the world over even in the US, living wage became a slogan and it has overcome the "welfare queen" narrative the media pushed. You are not going to stop the other side from lying about you but don't make it so easy for them with a slogan like defund the police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The ones that aren't attracted by the slogan spend zero time looking into it.
    That's the reality: deal with it.
    I already am.

What you keep avoiding is that the willfully ignorant are ignorant out of malice. So of course they don't try and inform themselves. Nobody expects them to. We just don't consider their objections meaningful. They're braying donkeys.

In what way? The point is that the Defund movement is intellectually dishonest by framing it as a defunding when it would need to fund both the police and the replacement at the start.
    No dishonesty at all to the Defund movement.

You're just straight-up, bald-facedly lying about the movement and its goals. That's why I won't entertain it as an argument.

What you're saying is categorically untrue.

You are straight up lying - I didn't write that.
    You literally just repeated it immediately above. That "Defund the police" was somehow "dishonest" because those funds could/would be shifted over to spending on other systems, like social work.

You've said it openly twice now.

I stated that if attempted in a good way it would increase public spending overall and not keep it constant
    Hey look, a third time.

How am I getting you wrong, again?

because there would be a need to do both the social work (that in the long term would reduce crime) and the police work (to keep crime under control in the short run). Thus the focus on 'defunding' is misplaced.
    This is trivially false and can be flagrantly discarded accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Pro life has won popular opinion the world over even in the US, living wage became a slogan and it has overcome the "welfare queen" narrative the media pushed. You are not going to stop the other side from lying about you but don't make it so easy for them with a slogan like defund the police.
    In what world has "pro-life" won popular opinion globally? The USA is the only developed nation looking at attacking abortion rights these days.

"Living wage" still isn't a slogan, at all. Nor was "welfare queen", for that matter.

And I still don't see what's confusing about "defund the police", other than that fascist authoritarian types want militarised police forces and oppose it.

Edit: Seriously, and this goes for anyone. What, exactly, is confusing about "Defund the police"? Be specific and detailed.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-15 at 06:51 PM.

Edit: Seriously, and this goes for anyone. What, exactly, is confusing about "Defund the police"? Be specific and detailed.
    I know you are smart enough to know why its confusing, when someone who doesn't know hear defund the police they automatically think you want to get rid of police officers. When you have to explain what it means to them they either a) think you are lying to them about your intent or b) wonder why you chose that slogan.

Why would AMERICAN problems cause police in MY COUNTRY be defunded?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you are smart enough to know why its confusing, when someone who doesn't know hear defund the police they automatically think you want to get rid of police officers. When you have to explain what it means to them they either a) think you are lying to them about your intent or b) wonder why you chose that slogan.
    But DtP does want to get rid of police officers. Literally the central point; reducing the number of officers and shifting duties off to better-trained experts in those relevant fields.

This is what I mean about not understanding where the confusion lies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Why would AMERICAN problems cause police in MY COUNTRY be defunded?
    They wouldn't, but if your country has a "Defund the Police" movement, it's gonna be because some of those problems aren't uniquely American.

But DtP does want to get rid of police officers. Literally the central point; reducing the number of officers and shifting duties off to better-trained experts in those relevant fields.

This is what I mean about not understanding where the confusion lies.
    They think it means get rid of all police period.

10+ Year Old Account
    They think it means get rid of all police period.
    But it doesn't say "Abolish the Police".

So I don't see how they're deriving that belief from the slogan, in the first place. They're being told that by someone else, who's lying about it.

This isn't an idea they got from the slogan. This is an idea they got from propagandists.

You can't say the slogan's communicating the wrong thing and then make up stuff the slogan clearly doesn't actually say and pretend it's perfectly reasonable to assume that. It's like trying to argue that "Pro-Choice" means you want to throw living babies in the river. Which some pro-lifers do, y'know. Same dishonest crap. Nothing to do with the slogan being "confusing".
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-07-15 at 07:17 PM.

I already am.
    And it's not going well, how about changing the tactics - and having a slogan that actually attracts people.

Or just go for 'Three Word Chant!'.

No dishonesty at all to the Defund movement.
    It claims to 'defund the police' when it should be focusing on 'fund social works', if it actually wanted to achieve its goals and after some time it would be possible to reduce funding for the police due to less need for it, as most of the alternatives will take time to be effective.

Thus by selling it as 'defunding' and trying to front-load that as 'defunding' it is intellectually dishonest and stupid, as the problem isn't the police but the lack of alternatives at the moment in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

The defund the police movement does in part come from the police abolition movement, and some really want that.

https://www.versobooks.com/books/390...nd-of-policing

So I don't see how they're deriving that belief from the slogan, in the first place. They're being told that by someone else, who's lying about it.

This isn't an idea they got from the slogan. This is an idea they got from propagandists.

You can't say the slogan's communicating the wrong thing and then make up stuff the slogan clearly doesn't actually say and pretend it's perfectly reasonable to assume that. It's like trying to argue that "Pro-Choice" means you want to throw living babies in the river. Which some pro-lifers do, y'know. Same dishonest crap. Nothing to do with the slogan being "confusing".
    The people I had to explain it don't follow politics enough for me to say they have been the victims of propagandist. Most of the time these conversations happen with me because they saw a headline in passing or that I mentioned it. The word defund has negative connotations no it's not abolish but most people are doing surface level impression of it.