Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Dracthyr visage form in combat, surely a must now right?

    For people like me where a beast form model has issues and I cant see all armor having a humanoid form I is even more important, but then restricting it to out of combat use only when it is unique enough feels like an un necessary limitation that will one

    1. Put off players who don't do monster races (which are a fair few and also unnecessary since you have a human form)
    2. Further needlessly limit such a key featured race that already has some major restrictions, like being only open to one class.


    Can someone please explain why blizzard has initially chosen that visage form cannot be used in combat, and rather than allowing it with having dragon breath abilities auto shift you to your dragon form for the ability's duration?

    Evoker gameplay has dragon abilities that if they force a temporary transformation to Dragon form, will ensure enough of a dragon feel to your character even if playing combat in visage form. And to me seems a good compromise that can open this up and even excite quite a few more people.


    So why needlessly impose another restriction that will further reduce the appeal of your main feature of your new expansion has to others?

    I dont have much interest in thr new race without this at the very least, and Ecoker dracthyr is half the attraction of the expansion . Those visage forms look really nice, but I am not feeling being forced into Dracthy form in combat, it is not enough to carry the new race class, and seems pointless to ,imit when it will appeal to me and others like me a lot more without such a limit

  2. #2
    from some streams i have watched it looks like they can cast some spells in humanoid form but a good portion of them still are in dragon form

    also you get faster health regen in visage form and those around you will as well in groups
    Last edited by LordHanmint1788; 2022-07-14 at 11:22 PM.

  3. #3
    Hopefully they let them stay in visage form with how dumb they look. That and transmog is a thing

  4. #4
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    40,822
    I think it would be interesting if you could opt to stay in visage form for some spells and abilities, but others that kind of require the natural draconic form force-shift you into Dracthyr mode - like those that involve breath weapons, flight, and so on. Basic spellcasting could be done in either form, though. Some people who've seen Alpha footage in action contend that that's exactly how it currently works, too.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  5. #5
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    24,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    For people like me where a beast form model has issues and I cant see all armor having a humanoid form I is even more important, but then restricting it to out of combat use only when it is unique enough feels like an un necessary limitation that will one

    1. Put off players who don't do monster races (which are a fair few and also unnecessary since you have a human form)
    2. Further needlessly limit such a key featured race that already has some major restrictions, like being only open to one class.


    Can someone please explain why blizzard has initially chosen that visage form cannot be used in combat, and rather than allowing it with having dragon breath abilities auto shift you to your dragon form for the ability's duration?

    From what we’ve seen, you can use Visage form in combat to some extent, but obviously the Evoker is the dragon class, so you’re going to be mostly playing as a dragon in dragon form. Allowing you to stay in visage form kind of defeats the purpose of the class.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think it would be interesting if you could opt to stay in visage form for some spells and abilities, but others that kind of require the natural draconic form force-shift you into Dracthyr mode - like those that involve breath weapons, flight, and so on. Basic spellcasting could be done in either form, though. Some people who've seen Alpha footage in action contend that that's exactly how it currently works, too.
    Yep, that’s exactly how it works.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I think it would be interesting if you could opt to stay in visage form for some spells and abilities, but others that kind of require the natural draconic form force-shift you into Dracthyr mode - like those that involve breath weapons, flight, and so on. Basic spellcasting could be done in either form, though. Some people who've seen Alpha footage in action contend that that's exactly how it currently works, too.
    I hope it doesn't... I mean I can understand the immersion argument in this case but I really don't want another beast form that can't be mogged and personally looks unappealing to me.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    From what we’ve seen, you can use Visage form in combat to some extent, but obviously the Evoker is the dragon class, so you’re going to be mostly playing as a dragon in dragon form. Allowing you to stay in visage form kind of defeats the purpose of the class.

    - - - Updated - - -
    A dragon also has a humanoid form, so it’s part of the identity.

    I can accept certain abilities will auto change you into dragon form for their duration. I even think that is god as you will see your Sargon form often. Just not all the time.

    I’d much prefer to mostly be in visage form and see my dragon form for the powerful abilities. In time, I may get to like my dragon form more. But currently, visage form is what I like about it

  8. #8
    Stuff that requires you to roar and such switches you to Dragon form, kind of obvious. Some basic spells - do not.

    You can't bloody deep breath if you don't have a maw or wings, can you now?
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post



    Yep, that’s exactly how it works.
    Really? That makes a lot more sense and May have just sold the expansion for me. Provide this at least Carrie’s on to release.

    I wouldn’t oppose more visage form, like some dragon abilities having visage versions, even some Cool effect like a shadow version of your dragon form flashing in and out.

    However I do agree that at least the one transformation to dragon form should happen at least once per combat, even if you can opt out of it later remaining in visage form

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I hope it doesn't... I mean I can understand the immersion argument in this case but I really don't want another beast form that can't be mogged and personally looks unappealing to me.
    This is what makes being able to fight in visage form imperative. But I can accept some abilities auto transforming you, but only for their duration, you auto switch back to visage once they are done channeling.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Can someone please explain why blizzard has initially chosen that visage form cannot be used in combat, and rather than allowing it with having dragon breath abilities auto shift you to your dragon form for the ability's duration?
    I mean it's setup the same way Worgen's are and people have been fine with that.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Stuff that requires you to roar and such switches you to Dragon form, kind of obvious. Some basic spells - do not.

    You can't bloody deep breath if you don't have a maw or wings, can you now?
    Looks in the alpha videos like this is exactly how it works, and I can't imagine anything more than that except maybe automatically swapping out of the Dracthyr form once the skill is done, like how Eye Beam works.

  12. #12
    Since they use the human model for female it almost doesn't matter for me. That have some really horrible animations which I just can't watch, especially the running. So I still hope they will include race selection for the visage form. I don't even care for those new visual settings, just let me select a blood elf, gnome or night elf. Or male human. Or tauren.

  13. #13
    From what I've seen, you can fight in visage form - only certain spells will turn you back into a Dracthyr, but after combat you return to your visage form. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I mean it's setup the same way Worgen's are and people have been fine with that.
    Worgen get to wear transmogs tho.

    And don't have a unique class locked behind them. If people don't want to play Worgen they can simply play Human.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  15. #15
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    24,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Shara Ishvalda View Post
    From what I've seen, you can fight in visage form - only certain spells will turn you back into a Dracthyr, but after combat you return to your visage form. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me.
    Ive seen vids where what you’re describing happens, and I’ve seen vids where the person is in dragon form the entire time. I need to look up the cooldown for the form switch racial, but it seems that Blizzard is making the visage form way more prominent than the Worgen human form.

    There’s even a passive where if you’re in visage form, your passive health regen increases. I also think that buff passes on to your party as well.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Ive seen vids where what you’re describing happens, and I’ve seen vids where the person is in dragon form the entire time. I need to look up the cooldown for the form switch racial, but it seems that Blizzard is making the visage form way more prominent than the Worgen human form.

    There’s even a passive where if you’re in visage form, your passive health regen increases. I also think that buff passes on to your party as well.
    It's a 2% every 2 seconds regen on the entire party. It's negligible with a healer or with food if you want to be a Dracthyr all the time, but it's a nice incentive to also have the toggle to revert out-of-combat.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Looks in the alpha videos like this is exactly how it works, and I can't imagine anything more than that except maybe automatically swapping out of the Dracthyr form once the skill is done, like how Eye Beam works.
    Like I beam is what I imagined. However do you not transform back to Visage form automatically once the ability is done currently?

    If not, are you able to switch back to visage form while combat is still on?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Like I beam is what I imagined. However do you not transform back to Visage form automatically once the ability is done currently?

    If not, are you able to switch back to visage form while combat is still on?
    From what I saw, looks like once an ability kicks you into dragon form, you're in dragon form until combat ends, the button greys out.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathfaern View Post
    Since they use the human model for female it almost doesn't matter for me. That have some really horrible animations which I just can't watch, especially the running. So I still hope they will include race selection for the visage form. I don't even care for those new visual settings, just let me select a blood elf, gnome or night elf. Or male human. Or tauren.
    Not sure if they’d add more racial options for visage form. It is essentially an allied race afterall. But if they do, dragons do use night elf, human, high elf, gnome. They would prob add Vulpera and Tauren. But I doubt it would happen.

    What I am certain will happen is Dracthyr will get more class options but at the end of 10.x , I expect mage (blue), priest (red), Druid (green), shaman (black), pala (bronze) rogue, Hunter, warrior.

    I also expect the following races might be able to become Evokers but that is less likely.
    Orcs(Green only), Humans, all Elves, all Draenei and all Trolls, Worgen and Highmountain Tauren - it will be magically adept races with larger sizes which is why the smaller ones don’t.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    It's a 2% every 2 seconds regen on the entire party. It's negligible with a healer or with food if you want to be a Dracthyr all the time, but it's a nice incentive to also have the toggle to revert out-of-combat.
    Indeed it is and clever. Good call I think

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ah. The regen is out of combat only

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dragon Isles
    Posts
    24,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Not sure if they’d add more racial options for visage form. It is essentially an allied race afterall. But if they do, dragons do use night elf, human, high elf, gnome. They would prob add Vulpera and Tauren. But I doubt it would happen.

    What I am certain will happen is Dracthyr will get more class options but at the end of 10.x , I expect mage (blue), priest (red), Druid (green), shaman (black), pala (bronze) rogue, Hunter, warrior.

    I also expect the following races might be able to become Evokers but that is less likely.
    Orcs(Green only), Humans, all Elves, all Draenei and all Trolls, Worgen and Highmountain Tauren - it will be magically adept races with larger sizes which is why the smaller ones don’t.
    Yeah, I don't see that happening. Dracthyr racials are integrated into the Evoker talent trees, and it wouldn't make sense for other races to be Evokers unless they're giving draconic bodies with wings, tails, talons, etc. At most, I could see Blizzard adding more races to the visage form, but even that is unlikely to happen.

    As for Dracthyr being other classes, again, I don't see that happening. It would be odd for Dracthyr to be a class no other race can be, and a lot of classes simply won't work with the Dracthyr's body.

    Frankly we're better off exactly where we're at now. If people don't like it, they should just roll another race/class.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •