Thread: Arcane Ideas

3+ Year Old Account

Arcane Ideas

With the Dragonflight talents revealed, I think it's a good time for speculation and theorycrafting! All for the funzies, of course.

What ideas if any, do you have for Arcane?

Spellblade Talents

[Battlemage's Tome]
    Increases auto-attack damage by 30%, Physical damage by N% and Armor by 100%.
    [Arcane Flourish] replaces Arcane Missiles, which is more or less a melee conversion. Slash fives times at your enemy in melee range, dealing Spellstrike damage. Effects involving Arcane Missiles are shared with Arcane Flourish.

- Spellstrike damage is calculated from Physical and Arcane stats.
    - Synergy with Arcane Orb and Orb Barrage, which would naturally cast at melee range thus eliminating orb travel time.

[Blink Strikes]
    Arcane Barrage increases attack speed by 15% per Arcane Charge for 8 sec. Your next Arcane Flourish on a target within 30 yds will teleport you behind them. The teleport effect cannot proc more than once every 30 sec.

- Basically, Arcane Barrage > Arcane Flourish is damage dealing Slice and Dice > Shadowstep.
    - Blink/Shimmer, Alter Time, Reflection, already an amazing mobility toolkit, add Blink Strikes and the mage just bebopping all round the place
    - Synergy with Chrono Shift... A reason to take that talent, even!

[Arcane Erosion]
    Arcane Explosion reduces the Armor of affected enemies by 5%, stacking up to 3 times. After 3 sec of not taking damage from your abilities, this effect decreases by 2% every 1 sec.

- Repurposed the original Erosion, incorporating armor reduction and giving Arcane Explosion a more well-defined purpose.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-08-30 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Redesign

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A novel reimagining to arcane but at the end of the day this just wouldn't work I cant see how this would pan out as a build. Then again I am not active in game so grain of salt.

Have you other thoughts beyond a close range battlemage?
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    A novel reimagining to arcane but at the end of the day this just wouldn't work I cant see how this would pan out as a build. Then again I am not active in game so grain of salt.

Have you other thoughts beyond a close range battlemage?
    I have had a bunch of ideas! It's a matter of remembering and articulating them effectively lol.

Another concept I want to explore is a "tri-mage." Arcane spec that focuses on wielding Fire, Frost and Arcane in tandem. Sypha Belnades from the Castlevania anime is a prime example of this. She wields fire, frost and lightning and uses their interactions to devastating effect. Encase enemies in ice, explode it with fire to blast and impale them with ice shards, then shock the puddle of water left behind by melting ice to electrocute them.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-07-15 at 07:41 AM.

Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    I have had a bunch of ideas! It's a matter of remembering and articulating them effectively lol.

Another concept I want to explore is a "tri-mage." Arcane spec that focuses on wielding Fire, Frost and Arcane in tandem. Sypha Belnades from the Castlevania anime is a prime example of this. She wields fire, frost and lightning and uses their interactions to devastating effect. Encase enemies in ice, explode it with fire to blast and impale them with ice shards, then shock the puddle of water left behind by melting ice to electrocute them.
    While I do agree she was a wonderful character to show how skillful she is, I very much doubt any character in wow has the sheer potential to rival her in every way.

She was just something else to see after how she worked with Trevor and Alucard.

The only thing is I can't see the focus of what your suggestion as a build would be. Like arcane the last I saw was a churn and burn shorter fights unless planned around. high damage with bursts and converse phases are hard to master but fun to play, Would you have a unspent mana vs anything else? Rewarding the playstyle is what it needs to be focused on.
    Fate is one you forge with your own two hands.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromeshellking View Post
    Rewarding the playstyle is what it needs to be focused on.
    True. Keeping that in mind as well as the Dragonflight trees, I redesigned the talents. I think the new versions make a lot more sense with Arcane gameplay.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-08-30 at 06:08 PM.

might work as part of a mage tank using magical shielding for defenses

One of the most stupid and counter-intuitive and unexplained things mage has, is that arcane is partly melee. I get it that it's "arcane" and "unique" but it's very awkward design because in enforces melee range without the tools to move as well as the melee in the mess.