Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    What are the odds that they are outsourcing artists nowadays? I'd like to believe nobody who has worked in Blizzard for more than a few days would butcher the design of an established character this much.
    Outsourcing has nothing to do with it.
    Even if they outsourced it (which i doubt), then that's down to art direction given to the contractor.

Same shit happened with Reforged, they conciously chose a shitty artstyle, told Lemonsky Studios "this is what we want" and Lemonsky delivered that shitty artstyle.

Outsourcing is generally not a bad thing, you just have to give these people proper directions and instructions of what you want.
    If your directions and instructions basically describe excrements, they will deliver you shit.

That the modern artstyle deviates from the original one isn't something that people are just discovering now.

Even the Reforged models are good looking

I've been complaining about the Disneyfication of WoW for years. Not allowed to have grit anymore, apparently.

Old was filthy and mangy with matted fur and pupilless eyes. new one is clean and fluffly like a stuffed teddy bear your daughter sleeps with at night.

The original artstyle had sharp angles, saturated colors and high contrast. Starting with MoP, they gradually began desaturating the textures and reducing the contrast and removing detail. No more dirt. Just another symptom of appealing to the widest audience possible. New artists are trained to meet corporate demands and appeal to the lowest common denominates. Edges are buffed out, low contrast, soft shadows. An inoffensive pastel mush. Round faces and curves were added for zoomers to coom to. It's clear that whoever created the new Hogger model had a fur fetish.

The shift in art direction is one of the telltale signs that Warcraft has been going on for too long and should have ended many years ago.

WoW needs to reject tumblr furryism and return to its gritty powermetal album cover roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    What are the odds that they are outsourcing artists nowadays? I'd like to believe nobody who has worked in Blizzard for more than a few days would butcher the design of an established character this much.
    Doubt it. If you look at the model properly it's just a worgen player model with a bit of rework to make the face look derpier and to build the hunch a bit.

This is one of the iconic races of Warcraft and they couldn't even be bothered to build a new model and just tweaked a Worgen. What a joke. They don't even look slightly alike -

BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    you're around 7 or 8 years late... some individual in the wow team are butchering the game and making it soulless. not surprised that classic is so popular. those people with surprising taste are killing wow. they probably worked on some other games before, and if they were in the original team, wow would have never been anywhere near successful or lead people to be passionate about the game. they just don't have it, talent.

Blizzard really became disney in 2022 hahaha...

All models are from a childfriendly cartoon everything in this game that has a evil look or shows any skin needs to be covered up or made into a child friendly smiling cartoon model.

Just shows that the blizzard dev team has to many crazy woke people that are just in this company to push their massage.

While the new model doesn’t fit hoggers old model, it does lose the grittiness with the higher poly count.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Fair point. However Hogger has become so iconic over the near 20 years that he deserves a decent, better (or at least more beefy) model, at least in my opinion.
    Why? He has and always will be a jobber. level 11 elite that can be taken down by a mob of level 1 Gnomes isn't worth of much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Why? He has and always will be a jobber. level 11 elite that can be taken down by a mob of level 1 Gnomes isn't worth of much IMO.
    He was like the biggest dude in elwin?he even had 666 hp lol,i think at one point in the past hogger was even in the top 10 npc that killed most players

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Look how they massacred my boy!

This guy eat bones, man, not Scooby Snacks!
    Watch out, if one of today´s WoW devs sees this, they might ban you for assuming Hogger´s body type.

I agree. This does not look like the beast who´s been hunting humans and farmers in Elwyn Forest... it looks like... a puppy?

Wow, I didn't think "I prefer WoW gnoll updates over Hots and Reforged gnolls" would be a hot take.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Look how they massacred my boy!

Seriously, I usually love when they update models. The WoD/Legion demons, the updated kodo mounts, the new nightsabers..... what were they thinking turning the gnolls into fucking Disney puppies???

This guy eat bones, man, not Scooby Snacks!
    Hahahaha! He looks like he is straight from hair salon. Are we all in different timeline again in Dragonflight?

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Wow, I didn't think "I prefer WoW gnoll updates over Hots and Reforged gnolls" would be a hot take.
    i mean,those always looked better than the old wow model anyways

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    With all the times we smacked him around it's no surprise he got some work done.

I like the Disney style *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The shift in art direction is one of the telltale signs that Warcraft has been going on for too long and should have ended many years ago.
    Weird. I constantly hear that the art team is carrying WoW on its back.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i mean,those always looked better than the old wow model anyways
    Yeah but... There's really something unpleasant on the Reforged and Hots models. For Hots I think it's the really small head and eyes, for Reforged it was the weird plastic lips.

Classic gnolls were always goofs and this update is extra goofy.

Mostly just needs the eye changed, really. Some blood or dirt on the fur would help too though.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Nah I hate the new Gnoll models, they're rubbish.

I've always loved Gnoll but the new models has taken all of their personality and "Gnollness" away.

The latest video they released, I didn't even realise it was meant to be a Gnoll.. they just look Worgen variants.

Their entire defining look is the huge hump back and low head, with a hyena face and little short snout... and they got that wrong.

Seriously, this is one of the most iconic races and they've just edited a Worgen a bit. These two don't even look like they're meant to be the same species -

Left one looks like he says "bruv" a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Oh my God that's hilarious.

Honestly, they could "disneyfy" it, and still have it retain the basics of Gnoll personality.

This art is FAR better at retaining gnoll personality -

https://mynamesbryan.artstation.com/projects/wgm6L

Blizz completely messed up on this one.

BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!