Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Looks good to me. The old gnolls and hyenas looked like crap.
    It looks like a good gnoll model sure, not not a good Hogger model. I personally wouldn't have an issue with this if it was for random Gnoll mob #1435. But this is fucking Hogger. Blizzard themselves have made better alternative Hogger models. (see Heroes of the storm). Its not like the model itself is bad, its just what it belongs to. The head needs to look bigger and bit more fierce looking, this Hogger looks like I want to cuddle him. and if you like 'Cuddle Me Hogger', that's fine I wont bash your fetish, but thats not want I wanna see from Hogger.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-07-15 at 12:58 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I think it's a placeholder, considering it's not even the right color.

I consider all the updated models vast improvements over the low poly garbage that has been infecting older zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the only thing wrong with the new model is the face, which I also feel looks kind of dopey and doesn't really relate to the traditional Hogger. If they gave him a snarling face, like some of the other updated gnoll models posted, I think the new model would be a definite improvement over the old model, which looks super janky next to more recent offerings in the game.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Who was it who said that the art style direction of WoW hadn't changed during the DF reveal? I strongly recall someone dying on that hill.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    You really be ok with seeing this guy in a back alley?

Didn't think so, this complaint is so lol..... 0/10
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I don't mind how he look, except for the color, its off.
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Look how they massacred my boy!

Seriously, I usually love when they update models. The WoD/Legion demons, the updated kodo mounts, the new nightsabers..... what were they thinking turning the gnolls into fucking Disney puppies???

This guy eat bones, man, not Scooby Snacks!
    I dunno. I think they did the crazy eyes justice here. He honestly looks like he can't wait to hack me open and drink my marrow.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Hahahaha! He looks like he is straight from hair salon. Are we all in different timeline again in Dragonflight?
    N'zoth's nightmare never ends.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Me too, but you see in modern WoW they cater to "specific" people...they cover sexy belly and legs of female characters in FANTASY game ffs, they make any brutal race look like cartoon dogs : Dragons,Taurens,Worgens,Pandarens transformed from brutal savage monsters to happy go smiling idiocity.

Its as if they trying hard to remove "fantasy" part and transform it into theme park for 6-9y old smiling kids.

Heavy Metal 2000 days is gone, now we in Disney world, and this in game that asks you to kill other humanoids in thousands, so its ok to cut of elf EARS or chop orc HEAD, but if someone gonna see belly button on Sylvanas or Alexstrasza people go "Ugh how ugly, hope my kids not gonna jerkoff themselfs to death to it", if kids want jerkoff they use google, stop useless censorship.
    Man post like this always crack me up, we just had an expan full of the kind of stuff and you act like every ones in a burka.

Ok topic through, new gnolls look good they should just give him a brown model like he has before.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Doubt it. If you look at the model properly it's just a worgen player model with a bit of rework to make the face look derpier and to build the hunch a bit.

This is one of the iconic races of Warcraft and they couldn't even be bothered to build a new model and just tweaked a Worgen. What a joke. They don't even look slightly alike -

While I agree the new model is bad, its pretty clearly not the worgen model. The legs and especially shoulders aren't anywhere near wide enough to be the worgen model. Torso shape is also quite different.

Its a new model, its just a bad new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Who was it who said that the art style direction of WoW hadn't changed during the DF reveal? I strongly recall someone dying on that hill.
    I didn't say it, but WoW's model updates have always contained a degree of hit and miss in equal measure. Sometimes the updates are awesome and better sync up to expectations, and sometimes they come across as goofy or too cartoony for even WoW's cartoony style.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    N'zoth's nightmare never ends.
    There is new fate foreseen for him. This new dandy look will allow him to finally find girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Look how they massacred my boy!

Seriously, I usually love when they update models. The WoD/Legion demons, the updated kodo mounts, the new nightsabers..... what were they thinking turning the gnolls into fucking Disney puppies???

This guy eat bones, man, not Scooby Snacks!
    The game caters to Disney lovers.(they have very low standards and are parted from their money easily.) Just look at the trash story and lame comedy blended in.

It's really influenced the art too and animations.

10+ Year Old Account
    His outfit makes me think he's a themed stripper. Like, he just so happened to randomly steal a pair of gloves that happened to have paw prints emblazoned on them? And we know that Gnolls know about armor, but he's just deciding to wander around with just a belt on his chest like a Kingdom Hearts character? Pretty sus if you ask me.

I think they need one meaner-looking Gnoll model to use for important NPCs. The goofy one can be mobs.

There is a small change to Warcraft's character stylization over the last several years that in my opinion has had a very negative effect on many characters and creatures.

Since, at least, Warcraft 3, a part of Warcraft's anatomy stylization has relied a lot on portraying many different characters, and specially creatures, without iris and pupils.
    This ranges from Warcraft3 3D models (such as orcs, trolls, naga...); WoW's earlier 3D models (such as (vanilla/wotlk) worgen, magnataurs, clefthoofs...); and even a lot of illustrations and concept art (Wei Wang's Rexxar, plenty of WoD concept art...).

This has slowly been lost over time. One example I can think of, which disappointed me at the time, was that the first time they showed the new ogres for WoD, they were portrayed with completely white eyes. On release, they had fully normal eyes, which made them look more disney-like, less menacing, and, in my view, less warcrafty.

I think these gnolls are a good example of a model that I think would look significantly better by simply returning to this anatomical stylization decision.
    Changes like these, however, are probably a representation of deeper art direction decisions that are simply choosing to advance the style in a direction that is a bit less identifiable with some previously established style decisions that put some people off. The disneyfication comments I think are a result of this.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    i
    Can someone link to an article or post or something where they even say they’re redoing old vanilla era models? was this ever announced? i’m shocked by this..

are they also updating the world like buildings and trees etc?
    They have been doing this ins for legion with likely more then half of the old classic mobs replaced at this point. I think the only mention they have actually made of it is saying old rare hunter pets won’t change.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Generic Gnoll model in WoW always looked ragged, dirty and savage. Like a fucking gnoll should. Even with limited resources they made sure to put emphasis on stuff like rotting, overgrown teeth, tattered clothing and hints of blood on the fur.

Having the new model look like a puppy is a step backwards.
    I remember back in Legion on the mission table. Seeing all the badass new models. Then seeing Hogger's 2004 model and going "omg my eyes. I can count the pixels. Why has this not been updated yet!?"
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    it looks cool to me really not seeing the issue

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone link to an article or post or something where they even say they’re redoing old vanilla era models? was this ever announced? i’m shocked by this..

are they also updating the world like buildings and trees etc?
    Updating environments like Arathi and Darkshore is a bigger undertaking than swapping out old models for updated versions. Theyve been updating old models since like Cataclysm, go check out the kodos in Mulgore, the bears everywhere, sheep, troggs, kobolds, demons....