Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post What number should the character cap be raised to?

I thought about making this a poll but changed my mind since I had a second unrelated question as well.

The Devs recently indicated they are now open to raising the character limit for WoW accounts from 50. It has always been 50 Since WoW's inception though they have raised the cap on characters per server from 10 to I think 16 now (soon to be 18).

What do you think the new character cap per account should be raised to? At the very least it should be doubled to 100. Maybe even quadrupled to 200. It would also be a nice way to preempt future races and classes introduced over time. Another option I'd like to see is the ability to merge your WoW accounts. I have two for example but mostly keep one subbed at a time these days. If the character per account cap is at least doubled, I'd like this as an option personally.

My unrelated question is about Starter Edition accounts. When you're not subbed, your account reverts to Starter Edition. I'd like to see a few existing restrictions relaxed personally:

• Level cap for starter edition accounts raised to 30 (currently 20). This would give starter edition accounts access to Flying Mounts. In addition, accounts that have become Starter accounts with characters leveled to 50+ do not have level restrictions.
    • Able to send mail to their other charcters with some restrictions (currently, the mailbox disabled for Starter Edition accounts). Restrictions include for example a hard 2,000G can be mailed per day and it is accountwide.
    • Able to Buy and Sell WoW Tokens via the Auction House (Auction House locked for Starter Edition accounts).

Would you be in favor of stuff along these lines? The level cap aside, you already have access to most of the content the game offers. Raising the cap to 30 opens to door to learning to fly at level 30. For those who are unsubbed but have chars 50+, you can still have a single player experience. When I'm subbed, I mostly play alone. I'm a bit over halfway through my 60 days prepaid time now and I've mostly been using it to work on unlocking Allied Races ahead of when the prepaid time expires personally.

I'm basically just looking for a bit more room to work on doing certain content that requires being level 45+ to unlock more or less. Removing the cap for longtime accounts allows people to play as they go without the pressure of being subbed. Being able to mail stuff between your alts at least would be great and doesn't change much. The Gold cap should also help prevent abuse too. Being able to buy and and Sell a WoW Token helps you be self-sufficient as well. I know quite a lot of folks who buy tokens with Gold and haven't bought a sub in years now.

Just some ideas of mine.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

10+ Year Old Account
    100. You can already have all characters on one server
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The level cap should never be raised. Players should play through questing content for its own merits. If the questing content is so bad people would rather not do it, then Blizzard needs to get their act together and make quests people want to play through.

Character cap should be unlimited.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-07-15 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why is 50 not enough exactly? Jesus people lol
    I personally like to make alts of different race/class combos using different themes/transmogs based on their race so I have a shitload of characters

Just double it to a 100.

Personally, idc all that much. I thought I was an altoholic with having some 15 characters at lvl50+, but apparently not lol.

I have a list of 43 race-class combinations I really want, and 27 race-class combinations I would like to have but can live without. I currently have my 43 - I guess it would be 45 after Dragonflight. So I guess I want 100 slots to be safe and allow for further expansions. Although 75 would fit my current needs.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

seems like anyone who needs more than 50 slots should reevaluate some life choices
    honestly to me it seems pointless to increase, i have "only" 24 chars (each class on both H and A) but if they increase it i guess 100

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    I thought about making this a poll but changed my mind since I had a second unrelated question as well.

The Devs recently indicated they are now open to raising the character limit for WoW accounts from 50. It has always been 50 Since WoW's inception though they have raised the cap on characters per server from 10 to I think 16 now (soon to be 18).

What do you think the new character cap per account should be raised to? At the very least it should be doubled to 100. Maybe even quadrupled to 200. It would also be a nice way to preempt future races and classes introduced over time. Another option I'd like to see is the ability to merge your WoW accounts. I have two for example but mostly keep one subbed at a time these days. If the character per account cap is at least doubled, I'd like this as an option personally.

My unrelated question is about Starter Edition accounts. When you're not subbed, your account reverts to Starter Edition. I'd like to see a few existing restrictions relaxed personally:

• Level cap for starter edition accounts raised to 30 (currently 20). This would give starter edition accounts access to Flying Mounts. In addition, accounts that have become Starter accounts with characters leveled to 50+ do not have level restrictions.
    • Able to send mail to their other charcters with some restrictions (currently, the mailbox disabled for Starter Edition accounts). Restrictions include for example a hard 2,000G can be mailed per day and it is accountwide.
    • Able to Buy and Sell WoW Tokens via the Auction House (Auction House locked for Starter Edition accounts).

Would you be in favor of stuff along these lines? The level cap aside, you already have access to most of the content the game offers. Raising the cap to 30 opens to door to learning to fly at level 30. For those who are unsubbed but have chars 50+, you can still have a single player experience. When I'm subbed, I mostly play alone. I'm a bit over halfway through my 60 days prepaid time now and I've mostly been using it to work on unlocking Allied Races ahead of when the prepaid time expires personally.

I'm basically just looking for a bit more room to work on doing certain content that requires being level 45+ to unlock more or less. Removing the cap for longtime accounts allows people to play as they go without the pressure of being subbed. Being able to mail stuff between your alts at least would be great and doesn't change much. The Gold cap should also help prevent abuse too. Being able to buy and and Sell a WoW Token helps you be self-sufficient as well. I know quite a lot of folks who buy tokens with Gold and haven't bought a sub in years now.

Just some ideas of mine.
    100 . because knowing them it will take them another 20 years to agree to another char cap raise .

- - - Updated - - -

because a lot of us has been playing this game for last 17 years ?

Big Love Rocket is too hard to farm with only 50 characters!

Because the game launched with 40 race/class combos. There are currently 194 combos. And that's counting the Pandaren as a single race although the game engine does not. And DF is going to add at least 9 more (and again that's counting Alliance and Horde Dracthyr as a single race which the game engine certainly will not).

The number of possible combos has increased x5 and the number of slots has remained the same.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

100 is the only logical number I feel. Also, OP, there's no server character cap anymore, you can do all 50 on a single server if you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh you mean like me? Who first dinged 60 in 2005? Who is an admitted alcoholic and has every class at max level with at least decent gear on them, even a couple classes doubled up at max level to have one horde and one alli of that class.

Even I only have 20-something created and that's including random low level alts spread among random servers...

50 is a huge number so my initial question remains I guess lol. Maybe delete one of those random level 1s you havent touched in a decade?
    Can't speak for the person you're replying to, but I don't have random level 1s. They're all 50+ (previously all 120s). The random level 1's have already been deleted in favor of these ones.

Even if they made it 1200 characters, someone would complain that they want 1 with each possible combination of customization so it should be 12,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Do players with 50 characters even fit through doors?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Character cap as high as they can reasonably push it on a technical level. At least 100 would be nice.

Starter account… honestly should be capped at 50. Gold capped at 50k. Can get mail from NPC’s and your own character. Can use the AH only to buy tokens. An option to mail gold from locked characters via the login screen would be nice too (So you can buy said tokens). /s and /e work but not /y or public channels. You can join a guild and use raid and party channels.

You level so fast in retail, 50 is the current “designed” first experience. Then 50-60 and 60-70 are the next two. You’re intended to go through BfA in it’s entirety and begin making serious progress on your account. It would also see BfA content slightly repopulated as a viable endgame taste. Albeit likely with Azerite gear thrown out. I think that kind of engagement would be healthy for the game overall.

I mean, to me it would make sense to just increase it to the max that the system can handle per person and then let the players do whatever they're going to do. No sense in having an artificial cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The level cap should never be raised. Players should play through questing content for its own merits. If the questing content is so bad people would rather not do it, then Blizzard needs to get their act together and make quests people want to play through.

Character cap should be unlimited.

...If not for the "Four quadrillion" possible Dracthyr customizations just revealed today, I would've disagreed. Now I feel like I have to agree. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Character cap as high as they can reasonably push it on a technical level. At least 100 would be nice.

Starter account… honestly should be capped at 50. Gold capped at 50k. Can get mail from NPC’s and your own character. Can use the AH only to buy tokens. An option to mail gold from locked characters via the login screen would be nice too (So you can buy said tokens). /s and /e work but not /y or public channels. You can join a guild and use raid and party channels.

You level so fast in retail, 50 is the current “designed” first experience. Then 50-60 and 60-70 are the next two. You’re intended to go through BfA in it’s entirety and begin making serious progress on your account. It would also see BfA content slightly repopulated as a viable endgame taste. Albeit likely with Azerite gear thrown out. I think that kind of engagement would be healthy for the game overall.
    Only took 18 posts before someone finally addressed my second question =)

I feel like 50 as the default level cap for Starter Accounts is good because then you could do BFA content and older content 10-50. More importnantly for those who want to unlock Allied Races, you can be the minium level 45 for Legion-era ARs and 50 for BFA-era ARs. I'm pretty sure doing dungeons and raids is not required to unlock any Allied Races (they removed the dungeon requirement for Mechahon by adding a Skip option and Argus Invasion Points are easy to solo at 50 for most classes) so you really just need to do the required content--once in Legion and once per faction in BFA--to unlock the Allied Races. I just unlocked Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves last week on my Ally main and I switched to my Horde main to go to Highmountain Tauren and Nightborne. Once I take care of them, I'll do all required BFA content for the other 6.

I never played BFA when it was current because I didn't have a computer powerful enough at the time. Now I'm playing catch up. I'll get Shadowlands the next time it's on sale for 50% or more off like I did with BFA. LOL.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

I would like them to but to be honest it's an anomaly to need so many slots. I only do because I abused the orginal AV event to create an alt army duo boxing.

Wait till we get Dwarven Demon Hunters, then add ten more slots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played this game since 2008 and have been subbed non-stop since 2010. You play a lot, you tend to occasionally start playing different characters to spice up the experience.

I have very often made and deleted low level characters, up to about level 10-12 in current level format. But there's characters you play beyond that, and have good memories about playing them, cause they are linked to specific periods in life and in the game. Deleting them is basically throwing away a piece of myself. I would never do that.

And so the characters I have have accumulated over the years. And I'm not even the worst altoholic. Even with vigorous deleting of characters I am now at 40+ characters I cannot delete for sentimental reasons, and about 6 characters with various Dracthyr names that I reserved and am trying to narrow down to the one I want to use in the end.

And even then, there's a ton of characters I have not tried and would like to. I still have no max level Mage or Warrior, even after all these years. I will probably want several Dracthyr flavors, at the very least 1 on Alliance and 1 on Horde. And speaking of Horde, as an Alliance main, there's still a ton of unexplored stories and content I want to try Horde side, as I only have about 3 characters above 40 on that side.

Lastly, there's playing with (new) friends. Sometimes you just want to create some character to play with someone else for a bit. I also semi regularly pick a starting zone or starting experience (think Worgen or DK or DH) and play through it.

And all of these things happen at the same time, which means I have been at or close to the character cap for about 2 years now, and constantly have to trim down characters that I kind of still want to play but need to delete to create a character that I want to play even more.

In short, I need this character cap to increase so I can experiment a bit more again, while keeping the toons I have sentimental attachment to.

I'd like 100 characters, but I'll settle for 70+ for now.