Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    Oh- okay, but why? The 50-60 I understand, they have always done this at the end of an expansion, but why any change for 1-50? Won't this make leveling a bit disorienting? It's already so fast you never even see much of the world.
    To quote myself from two posts above:

60 is the new 50. Literally. New players will skip Shadowlands completely and just level from 10 to 60 in BFA and then go to Dragon isles.

So leveling from 1 to 60 in Dragonflight should take as much time as leveling from 1 to 50 does now. Which it will, since currently you need 2163990 XP to level from 1 to 50, and in Dragonflight you will need 2091800 XP to level from 1 to 60. It is slightly less, but not by much.

I doubt this is correct, sometimes the next level would require less xp than your current level

Does it even matter how fast you get a lvl? I thought it was all scaled anyway.

Just because you got a lvl doesn't mean you need to leave the zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    Should remove levels in any future expansions above 60, instead have a system where you still do quests/dungeons etc but your character becomes powerful in other ways. In 3-4 expansions we will be at 120 again...
    I still think everything should have squished to 50 and DF would be 50-60
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I still think everything should have squished to 50 and DF would be 50-60
    Yeah, this is the issue with reintroducing talent trees in their current form with the current leveling system: they will run into the same 'problem' they did in the past, and that's having to add more talents and rebalance trees/talents/specs/classes to account for more talent points every expansion with each level cap increase. This was actually one of the reasons they changed from the old talent trees to the current talent system on live. This is also why borrowed power systems came into being, because it's easier to create then discard new toys for players self-contained within an expansion.

People should keep in mind that while there's a bunch of people excited for the talent trees again, there's extra work that will need to be done in the long run that can be deceptively difficult. Now, this doesn't mean we shouldn't expect this work to be done by Blizz, but it'll take time and work, the scale of which will vary depending upon how Blizz will do it.

I could list off a bunch of potential methods they could try, but that'd be a very long post... and honestly it's not something that would be implemented until at least the next expansion since many methods would involve either hefty revisions or fundamental changes to the game.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

At first i thought the released current subs count, LOL.

Breaking this down...
    Reducing the xp for the early levels is absurd - those already have very low bars. Now you can likely level to 10 simply by exploring a zone without doing quests or killing mobs except to stay alive.
    Increasing the xp for the next 22 levels is a good thing. This is where the true foundation of the character is built. Realistically though this should have been extended through level 40.
    Reducing the xp for the remaining levels (beyond 40) makes sense but the amounts are a bit extreme. The nerfs should be about half of what they are and would align closer to what they did before. Looking strictly at 50-60 it took players typically nearly four zones worth of storyline to get those ten levels. These nerfs will make it possible to potentially get out of those levels by potentially finishing one zone's content. Way too fast.

Naturally the above doesn't take into consideration the powerlevelers who like to grind dungeons/BGs and get carries to do so. That said, overall they went a little heavy on the nerfs. Perhaps they'll reconsider the amounts but it is unlikely.

People seething over the same thing that has happened in almost every other expansion launch.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this is beyond ridiculous. leveling was ajoke already and htey are nerfing it ? just remove leveling to 50 completly and leave storymode or something there.
    What? Does leveling from 1 to (maxLevel-10) even serve a purpose? Leveling doesn't teach a player about their class. It doesn't teach a player anything really. Plus, the story doesn't even make sense when you choose which xpac to level in. Leveling is simply an artificial timegate to give players the bare minimum knowledge of story/class to progress in the current xpac. Who cares if it only take 4-6 hours? I think most people feel the less time spent on worthless nonsense, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    Should remove levels in any future expansions above 60, instead have a system where you still do quests/dungeons etc but your character becomes powerful in other ways. In 3-4 expansions we will be at 120 again...
    I don't mind that we'll be at level 120 again, but the idea about removing levels above 60 and just let us become powerful in other ways is a cool idea. I would like a system where they implement attunements again and let us pursue more and more powerful gear after the player attunes to the higher content. Or, do a prestige type system. I don't think that will ever happen, but who knows?

This looks really reasonable to me. Fast at the start, stable for a while as the game (or just this character) remains fun and fresh, and then nerf the crap out of it at about the point that it traditionally started to feel like a grind. The game is not the leveling process so much anymore, and I would much rather be able to level 2-3 DIFFERENT characters (also likely doing different content) in the same time effort that it used to take to level a single toon. this actually makes me feel like I'll spend more time doing leveling content than less.

Oh, and it is a very good point that when you level a new character, you end up being forced to spend the most effort towards the end of the process in the expansion YOU JUST SPENT TWO YEARS IN, so nerfing the hell out of those last 5 or 10 levels is GREATLY appreciated haha.

Now just give us to option to start "hero" classes and allied races at LEVEL ONE if we WANT to experience that class in the early content
    Last edited by PixelFox; 2022-07-18 at 06:06 PM.

I had expected some kind of xp squish, as I expected that 1-60 in DF would be equivalent to 1-50 in SL.

But total XP for 1-50 SL is about 2,160,000, while 1-60 DF is 1,566,475, an overall reduction of about 25%. Now, XP/hour isn't a set amount, as it varies with level, but still, it seems as if they've decided that not only shouldn't it take longer to level fresh alts in 10.0, it should be even quicker than in 9.x. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    I had expected some kind of xp squish, as I expected that 1-60 in DF would be equivalent to 1-50 in SL.

But total XP for 1-50 SL is about 2,160,000, while 1-60 DF is 1,566,475, an overall reduction of about 25%. Now, XP/hour isn't a set amount, as it varies with level, but still, it seems as if they've decided that not only shouldn't it take longer to level fresh alts in 10.0, it should be even quicker than in 9.x. Interesting.
    Your calculation is wrong. 1-60 in Dragonflight is 2,091,800 XP.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2022-07-18 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    thats great news, shadowlands leveling nerfed into the friggin ground
    Shadowlands lvling removed completely you mean, I am never ever gonna level there when I can just do it in EK/Kalimdor instead!

10-32 should be reduced as well. If people want to spend longer leveling, but there should be an option to reduce it too. That and there's always disabling XP if you want to finish everything.

If all else fails they should boost how much XP dungeons give, for instance doubling it. That way those who want to speed level can and those who want to take their time can do quests slowly and reduce the XP they give that way.

After you seen the story 40+ times you kind of want to just rush through it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Where I see this really coming into play is if you have alts at 50 that you are thinking about leveling to 60. Not that it takes that long now. But this will make 50-60 something you could do in just a couple of hours once Dragonflight is here, vs. ~10-12 hours now. There is also usually a gear/xp catchup pre-expansion event that helps. But that's the late-expansion conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Why is it a band-aid? Leveling was again only an issue when you got nothing out of it except getting weaker after every level. Leveling in DF gives you talent points; this is not a bandaid, we now have an incentive to level again.
    You can still give talent points without increasing the total character level. They can be based on milestones in each zone's campaign. The only incentive that exists to level is to get to the good shit at the end, which speaks more to WoW's leveling process as a whole.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    This is it! This was the FINAL straw. Unsubbing, UNBELIEVABLE! Shame on you Blozzard
    Lol so dramatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Your calculation is wrong. 1-60 in Dragonflight is 2,091,800 XP.
    Huh. Must be an input error.

But then this isn't really a "nerf", just what you'd expect.

Does this even matter? With world scaling lvl 1-60 quests give % of total level as exp as do mob kills, this is how the world scales well. If quests gave static exp and mob kills gave static exp things like westfall would be worthless at lvl 45. If a quest gives 5% of 100k or 5% of 20k its still 5%... To see if this is truely faster (or slower) one would need to factor in kill exp or quest exp in live vs alpha.

Classic leveling may take a lot longer but it is much more fun - the world is a bit dangerous so you actually learn something and don't fall asleep, and each level up is satisfying because they actually make you stronger.
    Everyone is like "yeah nerf it to the ground, leveling sucks", but I wish it was fun again. I didn't mind taking 100-200 hours to level up back in the day, but I can't bring myself to level another toon in retail for the ~15 hours it takes.