Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Lol, calling the 3 skeleton 200 textures realistic, over the 1500 skeleton, 2.000.000 textures cartoonish.

    Oh noes, they changed the irrelevant gnoll that was literally 3 square textures for a face to a proper face, there goes 1 raid tier, WoW is dead.

    I get repetitive but this is why some of us do not take posters on here seriously anymore, why cant you do a basic google research as to how graphical textures and design work, or watch any of the Blizzcon videos of the last 15 years where they explain this also before making such posts.

    We had the same discussion with the change of Orcs years ago "OH NO, THE 5 SQUARE TEXTURES ORC FACE IS MORE BRUTAL THAN THE PROPERLY MADE 1500 TEXTURES NEW ORC FACE" yeah, it is not.
    I can't believe anyone preferred the old orc textures over the new. Messing around with them in classic all I can think is "I wish I could play with the updated model." It just looks so bad.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichab View Post
    I can't believe anyone preferred the old orc textures over the new. Messing around with them in classic all I can think is "I wish I could play with the updated model." It just looks so bad.


    ::Old Thrall stares indiscernibly in your general direction::

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post


    ::Old Thrall stares indiscernibly in your general direction::
    He looks ass.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    He looks ass.
    Hey, watch the tone buddy... that's your Warchief!

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    New graphics beat old ones in every aspect and I cant wait for a day we get every zone revamped into new style.
    True. Imagine Duskwood or Stormwind in the current HD tech. Would love it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    People can argue over which style is more "realistic" or "darker" as much as they want, but I personally prefer the atmosphere of vanilla zones over modern ones. There's no argument to be made that modern WoW is an objective improvement over that
    There is tho...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Hey, watch the tone buddy... that's your Warchief!
    I play Alliance...and I live in 2022.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    People can argue over which style is more "realistic" or "darker" as much as they want, but I personally prefer the atmosphere of vanilla zones over modern ones. There's no argument to be made that modern WoW is an objective improvement over that
    How can you say there is no argument to be made? This thread is bizarre if only because the styling has not changed AT ALL. Graphics improving is not a dramatic change in the styling and design of the game. It has always been cartoonish.

    My opinion, which I will not state as fact, is that the game looks so much better in retail. When I went to classic for awhile, the visuals were noticeably worse in the vanilla zones.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhuntr View Post
    I love the unique art style in wow, but I can't see any difference with RTX on, I have a 3080 so I'm very equipped to enjoy ray tracing, however turning it on in wow just seems to bump up gpu load without changing anything visually.
    3080 here as well. I honestly never tried WoW RTX on nor i was ever planing to do simply because how they marketed it.
    However i use Reshade with Marty McFly's shaders and made something similar to this video but a bit less colorful and vibrant. Ofc turning it off in M+ and Raids.

    Note that this is not my video, just showcase what you can do with a bit of playing around with Reshade:


    I like a bit darker and grittier art style of older expansions, however i prefer the quality of the textures in latter expansions.

    While i understand the need of details to uppen up the quality of the textures and overal presentation i dislike how excessive they can be to the point that they actually overtake the texture and make it oversaturated with details thus, for me, making it actually distracting - hence ugly.
    I prefer simplicity and cleaner, a bit darker models so for me visually sweet spot was Throne of Thunder and majority of Ally side of BfA.

    While both styles are cartoonish by its design, for me newer style just brings it out a bit more due to oversaturation with details and design.

    One of the easy examples. Lets take new ProfessionUI - while i completely agree that old UI was starting to be clunky and way overdue for a rework both visually and functionally and i like the simplicity of new UI i dislike how colorful and saturated it is. Its just.. A lot of colorful details for UI that i will probably use a lot. Just distracting to the point that it actually bothers me.
    So ill slap 2-tone ElvUI on top of it and, add a bit transparency to it and it will be right up my alley.

    Now, dont get me wrong, i love new forest zone and as Ion hopes that one they there will be no need for PTS i hope that old zones, specially forest ones, will have visual overhaul.

    Will any of that stop me to play the game IF i think that its good and jiggles all my bells? Ofc not.
    I will just spend less time in zones that are not to my taste visually and set heartstone where i like it even so it means few extra mins of fly time to get to where i need to be.

    Ofc this was my opinion, i respect other peoples opinions no matter how different they are.
    This is one of those topics that will be eternal debate, we all prefer different things, art styles, design options.
    Last edited by Gurg; 2022-07-22 at 03:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    It's not nerfed unless it's live.

  8. #168
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,462
    WoW has always been colourful and cartoonish; that's part of why I actually really like the art style compared to every other game that aims for a degree of realism and ends up with the same green/brown/grey colour palate for everything. You're comparing darker old locations with brighter modern ones, when there are plenty of the opposite for both. This is slightly aggravated by the fact that they sort of "broke" nighttime and it never gets as dark as it used to if you're not using the potion, and some of your screenshots were probably taken at night when the game doesn't get that dark innately anymore.

    New graphic quality is handsdown better. The only thing I miss is how particular characters I had looked since I think they missed the mark on some of the appearance translations, and some of my characters I was particularly fond of. (I also wish they'd make nighttime a setting slider rather than a special potion similar to how weather effects used to be, but that's another issue)
    Currently Unavailable - Please Contact Another Global

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    --snip--

    New graphic quality is handsdown better. The only thing I miss is how particular characters I had looked since I think they missed the mark on some of the appearance translations, and some of my characters I was particularly fond of. (I also wish they'd make nighttime a setting slider rather than a special potion similar to how weather effects used to be, but that's another issue)
    Completely agree with you on this one.
    While some of updated modes are spot on flawless upgrades few of them missed mark by just a bit, but again enough to partially disconnect me from them.

    After all, some of them are almost two decades old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    It's not nerfed unless it's live.

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    People can argue over which style is more "realistic" or "darker" as much as they want, but I personally prefer the atmosphere of vanilla zones over modern ones. There's no argument to be made that modern WoW is an objective improvement over that
    An argument absolutely can be made. What you are really saying is that "my opinion is fact therefore, you cannot argue agasinst my opinion". That is not how opinions work. Everyone absolutely can argue against your opinion and I , for one, think that modern WOW is an improvement over that.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2022-07-22 at 03:40 AM.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Hey, watch the tone buddy... that's your Warchief!
    it's more immersive. Orcs having painted on teeth makes more sense since they're more likely to have knocked out all their teeth by adulthood.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    An argument absolutely can be made. What you are really saying is that "my opinion is fact therefore, you cannot argue agasinst my opinion". That is not how opinions work. Everyone absolutely can argue against your opinion and I , for one, think that modern WOW is an improvement over that.
    There's no argument to be made that something is objective because opinions are inherently subjective. How do you not understand that simple concept?


  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    There's no argument to be made that something is objective because opinions are inherently subjective. How do you not understand that simple concept?
    BNot what you said. YOU literally said that no argument can be made that Modern WoW is an imporvement graphics wise, over vanilla WoW. YOu absolutely can make an argument that Modern WoW is an improvement.

  14. #174
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under the stars
    Posts
    12,220
    Let's not forget that when WoW came out in 2004 and when pictures were shown of what the game looked like, there was complaints the game looked cartoonish. And was a big no sell for a lot of people. Even people like Madseason and PlatiumWoW have mentioned they they didn't get into WoW at first because of the cartoonish art style.

    I am older enough to remember people complaining about Warcraft 3's art style for being too cartoony and blocky (despite the fact that that graphical style was very common at the time). I remember being one of those complaining on the old battle net message board/forums... good times. I miss those old forums.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-07-22 at 07:15 AM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  15. #175


    Anyone who mostly prefers the older graphics has to at least admit this frog model is a significant upgrade.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Calling WoW realistic, is like calling McD gourmet food....
    Your former genius of a president probably would, and half of your voting population thinks he's the messiah.

  17. #177
    I personally prefer the modern WoW over the vanilla area
    Last edited by JodiPratt; 2022-07-25 at 02:21 AM. Reason: edit content

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Factician View Post


    Anyone who mostly prefers the older graphics has to at least admit this frog model is a significant upgrade.
    The new frog is too cute, former is more edgy.


    *ba-dum-tss*

  19. #179
    Pandaren Monk cocomen2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Factician View Post


    Anyone who mostly prefers the older graphics has to at least admit this frog model is a significant upgrade.
    old one looks more gothic or you can say Lovecraftian, as if it was made to be pawn of old gods, their agent on Azeroth, while new one clearly furry bait.






    its like you trying to compare Green Orc Genetalia vs Disney frogger Kermit, not even close /jk

  20. #180
    Vanilla definitely wasnt more realistic lol.

    I think its more tone that your talking about. warcraft 3 was cartoonish due to graphical limitations, that carried over to wow which was similarly limited graphically as its scope was incredible and getting the most players into the world was important. the tone however was fairly dark as it was the old blizzard that made the game.

    I think the modern updates that purposely make things cartoonish is as well intentioned as 3D anime that stutters frames to emulate 2D anime and it looks shit.
    Look at wows concept art and cinematics, that should be the art direction, not kung fu panda.

    warcraft and vanillas tone was darker in general, it was cartoonish due to graphical limits but it wasnt intended to look like a pixar film.
    Wows art direction changed a lot with MoP, even the cinematic was cartoonish and goofy which was honestly quite a change. I think that change put a lot of players off, i was certainly one of them and helping racist pandas weed their gardens with silly 'jAdE mAgIc' was insufferable, even though i liked many of the gameplay changes and basically everything after the first patch.

    I think things have gotten too fantastical. The tone is too silly, the cartoonishness has undermined the gravity of the world and even traveling to the shadowlands didnt feel threatening at all. Poor graphics actually helps a lot in masking certain things, when something is lo res your brain fills in the gaps and you kind of see things the way you want to, then when clarity is added you see things the way the artist intended and that can be a turn off.

    Mucky color palettes creates a grungy tone that feels grounded, the more clear style they have moved into has helped a lot with clarity but that murkiness blended things together a bit better. Everything in wow feels like a disco now.

    I think diablo 3 is a good example of the difference, it felt too clean, shiny and colorful, it was like an amusement park whereas diablo 2 with its poorer graphics felt much more grounded. Not realistic but grounded. I always had this uneasy feeling while playing D2 which was magical that i didnt get playing D3, it wasnt that the game was better (it wasnt) it wasnt that the graphics were better (they werent), it was the mood that was better. Not even strictly better, but it was the right mood for my interests at the time while d3 just flew away with the spectacle.

    Wow needs to reel in some of the spectacle and keep things grounded. Players should have an idea how it would feel to come into contact with void, arcane or fel magic, but they are all just silly colorful things for spectacle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •