Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    It's not, because it should balanced by the damage you do in the beginning. And in the beginning: it lines up with cooldowns, plus you are alive (which you might not be closer to the fight's end). So in theory, it doesn't matter that you do less damage close to enrage, because thanks to the extra damage you did in the beginning the boss should have less %. It would be a lot worse if they did it the other way around (your damage increases with lower boss %), because then it would NOT line up with CDs, and there's greater risk of dying the longer the fight goes on, so overall, the gain would be smaller.
    Sorry, but in reality this makes not so much sense. There is no need for pressure early on in a fight, therefore you can't balance it out with damage. You use trinkets and CDs early on that you can use them a second time later without wasting them being off CD. Bosses above 50% are usually never problematic, it's always the second half of a fight that matters most. Every boss gets more difficult and complex towards the end of a fight, getting more skills, deadlier skills etc. Phase 1 or 2 out of 3, 4 or 5 phases in boss fights barely matter. And that's why this mastery makes zero sense for harder content (high mythic keys and heroic / mythic raids). Indeed an execute mastery would be way better than this, because fights get more tense the longer they go on.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Its not about balancing damage, its surely possible to make Devastation do roughly the same damage as other classes over an entire encounter, but damage during the first 80% of a boss is not as valuable as damage during the last 20%. For bosses with different phases the later phases are generally more dangerous, and if the boss has an actual enrage it becomes even more pronounced. Less time spend in the more dangerous 0-X% hp is more valuable then less time spend in the less dangerous 100-X% hp.

That is why execute mechanics are so valued, they give damage increases during the most dangerous and generally important part of the encounter.
    I suppose it depends on the nature of the fight. If it's a multiple phase fight with phases activating on a certain boss HP% (see Sylvanas), then indeed the damage is more valuable in later phases. There is no benefit to doing Sylvanas p1 faster, and not having the bonus damage in p3 is bad.

If the phases activate at a certain time, then I'd argue it's quite valuable to have the bonus damage up front, as you get more out of it (by lining it up with CDs and generally being alive). In that case, by doing more damage up front, you should enter those later stages with lower boss HP%, also allowing those executes to be used earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Sorry, but in reality this makes not so much sense. There is no need for pressure early on in a fight, therefore you can't balance it out with damage. You use trinkets and CDs early on that you can use them a second time later without wasting them being off CD. Bosses above 50% are usually never problematic, it's always the second half of a fight that matters most. Every boss gets more difficult and complex towards the end of a fight, getting more skills, deadlier skills etc. Phase 1 or 2 out of 3, 4 or 5 phases in boss fights barely matter. And that's why this mastery makes zero sense for harder content (high mythic keys and heroic / mythic raids). Indeed an execute mastery would be way better than this, because fights get more tense the longer they go on.
    Many bosses work on strict timers with certain mechanics overlapping more and more (see, dunno Dasausage or Lords of Dread). There is a benefit in having the bonus damage up front, because it's easier to DPS uninterrupted early in the fight. So yes, on fights like Dasausage or Lords, you want to pressure early as much as you can, simply to shave off as much HP% as possible before the "rought" phases start, where it might be more difficult to DPS uninterrupted.

- - - Updated - - -

(For the same reason in every fight where things happen at a certain time [and not boss HP%], you use BL on pull, not in the last phase - as you simply get more benefit out of it by lining it with CDs and effectively shortening the later part of the fight, where frequent overlaps happen.)
    Last edited by Rageonit; 2022-09-25 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageonit View Post
    I suppose it depends on the nature of the fight. If it's a multiple phase fight with phases activating on a certain boss HP% (see Sylvanas), then indeed the damage is more valuable in later phases. There is no benefit to doing Sylvanas p1 faster, and not having the bonus damage in p3 is bad.

If the phases activate at a certain time, then I'd argue it's quite valuable to have the bonus damage up front, as you get more out of it (by lining it up with CDs and generally being alive). In that case, by doing more damage up front, you should enter those later stages with lower boss HP%, also allowing those executes to be used earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Many bosses work on strict timers with certain mechanics overlapping more and more (see, dunno Dasausage or Lords of Dread). There is a benefit in having the bonus damage up front, because it's easier to DPS uninterrupted early in the fight. So yes, on fights like Dasausage or Lords, you want to pressure early as much as you can, simply to shave off as much HP% as possible before the "rought" phases start, where it might be more difficult to DPS uninterrupted.

- - - Updated - - -

(For the same reason in every fight where things happen at a certain time [and not boss HP%], you use BL on pull, not in the last phase - as you simply get more benefit out of it by lining it with CDs and effectively shortening the later part of the fight, where frequent overlaps happen.)
    one thing that i have been noticing recently as I get back into classic wow and see the evolution of raids is how short the fights actually are. Part of it is getting older and my perception of time slowing down and part of it is due to the lack of mechanics in old wow that make your concentrate on full for an entire 5 minutes. While i agree it's usually the last half of the fight that wipes i disagree that it has anything to do with damage. If your dps is too low it's because you messed something else mostly unrelated (stood in fire/adds/etc). you also spend less time in this phase raiding than you do in any other phase. Executes are pretty terrible and usually done horribly by the average player. I think i would get maybe 1 or 2 channels of drain soul as lock or a couple soul reapers as a death knight. The last 25% of boss health absolutely melts away.

So adding in extra damage in the front is good game balance. It works for m+ pretty well. Only a few fights are hard gated by % health. Usually pushing phase 1 faster means you spend less time in phase 2 as time is the #1 mechanic used in fights. all things considered the mastery for evoker isn't bad

also as for preservation's mastery if you ain't keeping yourself alive with all the self healing what are you doing mate?