Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is Diablo Immortal hated but not Hearthstone?

I have a legit question to people who play Hearthstone. I've tried to get into this game, but crafting a competitive deck that has potential to reach Legend rank is BRUTAL for new players and would take many, many months (with average luck) or cost a fortune by buying enough decks to get cards or crafting materials enough to complete the entire deck.

This game is P2W, just like Diablo Immortal, but has been around since 2014 and hasn't had, in eight years, a fraction of the backlash Diablo Immortal had in a month. Why is this?

I am not against P2W per se, but isn't the community a bit hypocrit here? What is it about HS that makes it okey, and doesn't make it okey in Diablo.

Curious to hear Hearthstone players perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I have a legit question to people who play Hearthstone. I've tried to get into this game, but crafting a competitive deck that has potential to reach Legend rank is BRUTAL for new players and would take many, many months (with average luck) or cost a fortune by buying enough decks to get cards or crafting materials enough to complete the entire deck.

This game is P2W, just like Diablo Immortal, but has been around since 2014 and hasn't had, in eight years, a fraction of the backlash Diablo Immortal had in a month. Why is this?

I am not against P2W per se, but isn't the community a bit hypocrit here? What is it about HS that makes it okey, and doesn't make it okey in Diablo.

It has nothing to do with p2w.

It's a bunch of PC gamers virtue signaling because they are naive to how mobile games work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played Hearthstone in years, but there certainly was hatred towards Hearthstone, back in the day.

With that said, I guess Hearthstone gets a small pass, because this kind of monetization is kind of expected from card games. Plus, Hearthstone had popular stuff like the Arena, where you weren't reliant on cards you owned. It did cost money or Dust to get in, but if you did well enough, you'd win enough Dust to keep going.

Also, is Hearthstone all that relevant anymore? I'm sure it's still making tons of cash, but nobody seems to talk about the game. Like, at all.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-07-03 at 02:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

hearthstone never had a PC game first, and fans that have no clue what a real bad P2W/MTX game looks like on a mobile device. DI is fine.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    It helped that gold and dust weren't MTX and buying a card pack with gold or real money had the same drop chances. Also that whole adventures that contained meta-defining cards could be bought with gold eventually and when the game first released basic card decks easily let people get to legend with patience. Nowadays there is more complaints about it being pay2win especially with the introduction of mini-card expansions inbetween major ones, card rotations to re-introduce older powerful meta cards that need dust to be recrafted and battle pass stuff having been integrated.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    hearthstone never had a PC game first, and fans that have no clue what a real bad P2W/MTX game looks like on a mobile device. DI is fine.
    Hearthstone was released on PC and Mac, first. It only got it's Mobile port many months later.

Actually, IoS a month later, and Android like 6 months after that.
    Last edited by Santti; 2022-07-03 at 02:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Hearthstone didn't try to nickel and dime it's customers almost on every step of the way. Buying packs give you cards faster, and there's cosmetics and a battlepass. Immortal's Rift system was it's loot box system which you had to quickly grind for each one, needing 10 RMT'd tokens to be worthwhile. It has three different kinds of battle passes, systems on top of systems on top of systems, most requiring money at some point if you wanted to progress your character, some only showing once you spent a certain amount of money.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

The level of predatory gaming Diablo Immortal has is far more. To actually get max your character you have to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars. It makes Genshin Impact look like spending pocket change. You can compare Immortal to any Gacha game and immortal will always be obscenely more expensive in comparison. Hearthstone is nowhere near as bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    It has nothing to do with p2w.

It's a bunch of PC gamers virtue signaling because they are naive to how mobile games work.
    You don't know how mobile games work evidently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    But if they read the terrain like I do instead of going off of personal desires then they'd understand and wouldn't get their jimmies rustled. Again, I have no intention of maining a tinker, I just know with 100% certainty that they're wow's next playable class. It's so God damn obvious all things considered.

If that triggers people then oh well.

Because Hearthstone was a fun game.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Having one or two competitive decks in hearthstone is about 50-60$ per expansion together with some playtime simply due to how the crafting and pity systems work, if that is a "fortune" for you I'm sorry.

Trying to be competitive in Diablo Immortal costs also 50$ but I forgot 3-4 zero's.

10+ Year Old Account
    thats just false information buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

ITT people really bad at games and really good at wasting their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Hearthstone was released on PC and Mac, first. It only got it's Mobile port many months later.

Actually, IoS a month later, and Android like 6 months after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    thats just false information buddy

fair but not like Diablo, D2, D3 was more so the point, and its never not had a MTX/P2W aspects.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

There are competitive aspects of Hearthstone like Arena which are completely balanced for both free and paying players. True, paying will give you access to more cards sooner so you can be competitive in ladder quicker but it's not really a problem once you have played for a while to keep up each seasons without paying anything.

People often complain about the card game being expensive, but most people have moved to battlegrounds which is completely F2P if you don’t mind missing 2 hero options.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    People often complain about the card game being expensive, but most people have moved to battlegrounds which is completely F2P if you don’t mind missing 2 hero options.
    It’s completely F2P period. You can buy the perks with gold.

CCGs have always had the cost aspect attached to them plus it was always doable to be competitive while being f2p. It was annoying to do the quests every day, but doable.

Having played Hearthstone actively now since 2017, I can say that as someone who only plays the Standard format; The game is basically F2P for me. It took a lot of Arena runs and just casual play to get a hold of a full set from 3 expansions in a standard rotation, and once the year clicks over and 3 full setts rolls into Wild; by disenchanting all the now-wild cards I earn enough dust back to carry me trough the year as long as I just do my dailies in the game at the very least (Which takes like no time). The introduction of this newer rewards track also helped, so in essence HS has become F2P without any bothersome grind for me.

Diablo Immortal on the other hand statistically has so long grinds to get "Maxed" that people would feel forced to just toss money at the game instead, and while I am sure some still feel like HS is like that (Although it is avoidable without needing to sacrifice your two legs and a lung) - It is in no way near as grueling as Immortal.
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

10+ Year Old Account
    hearthstone never had a PC game first
    Hearthstone had a PC game, before mobile versions came out.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post

Cost difference pretty much. Coz it will cost you WAY LESS to craft a deck you like in HS, and that's pretty much it.